EA Stock Plummets by $21 Billion as Battlefield V Sales Disappoint

Is the game at fault at all? I mean is the game not as good as bf3 or bf4 at all? Seems a pretty solid entry in the series from all I've read (haven't played it yet)
It’s actually welling well, not as well as Red Dead 2 but not poorly, the US exchange is getting fucked right now because the government shutdown so a lot of people are selling.

It’s not just EA, all US based tech stocks are plummeting as the US stock exchange is shitting itself over yet another government shutdown. The NASDAQ is the lowest it’s been in 10 years and still dropping, foreign entities, mostly Chinese are selling American IT based stocks as fast and they can.

Hey now, let's not disrupt the narrative: BF5 has cooties so it's a fail!

With this in mind, I saw BFV is on sale yet again, this time for 55% off. This is what, the third 50% off or more sale since the game launched last month? AAA titles with that many sales that quickly can only mean sales are way down.

Meanwhile I'm still playing BF4. That being said they can fix this shit with a Battlefield in a modern or future sci-fi setting and add female soldiers too.

Lot of people didn’t care for it, but I loved BF2142. At least it wasn’t the same old shit reskinned.

This is my favorite Battlefield game since BF3. Shame to see it isnt being recieved well.

What kind of a moron quotes share price loss in the loss of market capitalization? Sounds like someone is going for a bogus headline number :p

That said, they have lost A LOT. The stock was trading at a high of $148.93 back in July, and now it's down to $76.57. That's a 49% loss.

I doubt all of that is due to just one game though. They have a very large portfolio. There must be more to it than that.

Also keep in mind that the NASDAQ as a whole has been dropping lately, signifying investors uncertainty in tech right now, so part of the impact to their share price is from that, but still, their share price has gone down much more than the NASDAQ, so it can't be fully explained away by the market.

As far as Battelfield goes, it's a big MEH to me. If you like foul mouthed tweens who just discovered the words "fucking gay" shouting over comms, playing unrealistic fast paced games, I guess games like Battlefield and Call of Duty are for you, but these series have been utter trash for a very long time. Maybe people are finally realizing the truth? Call of Modern Battlefield just isn't a very good game series.

A good chunk of this probably has to do with the relative success of PUBG and Fortnite. Kids are absolutely obsessed with one or the other of those games, and you can't play more than one at a time, so something has to give.

Ugh, I have roughly 70 hours into it, and its alright. But there is some shit in this game.

1) lack of maps
2) EA cannot figure out balanced teams, or even get close, its like they don't even try. They have the data, cant you load the teams based on say lifetime KDR, or points per min, or some combination? Especially on Grand Operations, where you'll be playing 3 maps, if you get stuck on a terrible team, your stuck for many rounds of hell.
3) tank balance, - tanks need to have more splash damage, as do assault RPG rockets/c4. A number of times I've hit a tank with 4 rockets, 2 c4, and the thing moves like nothing happened.

Are they going to call this the Video Game Bubble? Something's popped and it's not looking good.

This is what happens when you make a game to be politically correct with feel good knee jerk liberalism, rather then have it be historically correct.

While some allude to the hard-hit tech market, Seeking Alpha blames consumer backlash, as the FPS has been heavily criticized for portraying WWII inaccurately and having a limited campaign.

in-game ads saturation seems to be the next upcoming turn-off

Good

Billions of dollars and they can't setup a simple function to re-balance the teams, or let you change teams manually to balance things out. *eyeroll*. Plus their inability to shit or get off the pot when it comes to selecting a damage model and sticking with it.

I'm liking BF5 way way better than BF1, but it still sucks compared to BF3 and 4.

This post is spot on. The game is better than BF1 but that isn't hard to do. Try the new shotgun. It is pointless to use, your pistols are superior in every way possible. They're too lazy to do basic quality control and balancing passes.

disappointing, another Youtube vid saying what articles have articulated. That these sort of youtube vids are nowhere unique.

I don't care about women being in the game much.

I just don't like 2 BF games in a row that are in a setting almost 100 years ago. I paid for the $125 edition of BF1 and never got into it. BC2, BF3+4 and 2142 were all fantastic. BF1942 was great too but BF1 left me cold - it feels dark and less run and gun than the other games. You feel like cannon fodder, not special forces and it sucks.

I think the real issue is that they stopped designing games to be fun to play and are trying to design them to generate money without people realizing it, but people are hypersensitive and keep giving EA the stink eye and EA keeps inching that direction when they think you're not looking.

It’s not just EA, all US based tech stocks are plummeting as the US stock exchange is shitting itself over yet another government shutdown. The NASDAQ is the lowest it’s been in 10 years and still dropping, foreign entities, mostly Chinese are selling American IT based stocks as fast and they can.

Maybe, but EA was shit well before this ever happened. Just rewards and I hope, pray to god they lose so much money that they fear with all their hearts to ever ... ever try and do this shit again with our beloved titles. The good name of Battlefield is forever and always destroyed. How could it not be? ...

What kind of a moron quotes share price loss in the loss of market capitalization? Sounds like someone is going for a bogus headline number :p

That said, they have lost A LOT. The stock was trading at a high of $148.93 back in July, and now it's down to $76.57. That's a 49% loss.

I doubt all of that is due to just one game though. They have a very large portfolio. There must be more to it than that.

Also keep in mind that the NASDAQ as a whole has been dropping lately, signifying investors uncertainty in tech right now, so part of the impact to their share price is from that, but still, their share price has gone down much more than the NASDAQ, so it can't be fully explained away by the market.

As far as Battelfield goes, it's a big MEH to me. If you like foul mouthed tweens who just discovered the words "fucking gay" shouting over comms, playing unrealistic fast paced games, I guess games like Battlefield and Call of Duty are for you, but these series have been utter trash for a very long time. Maybe people are finally realizing the truth? Call of Modern Battlefield just isn't a very good game series.

A good chunk of this probably has to do with the relative success of PUBG and Fortnite. Kids are absolutely obsessed with one or the other of those games, and you can't play more than one at a time, so something has to give.

I would say it is more of a cascading effect with the tech stocks,

Hardware is affected by high prices, low sales, and low stock with implications around the Tariffs causing uncertainty, the profit margins will be tight when companies start building fabs the next 10 years in different countries, resources, regional manufacturing abilities are hitting a wall, the industry puts all its eggs in one basket, HDDs in Thailand that regularly floods, China, Taiwan..ect ect

Software has become a victim of its own success, China is cracking down on gaming making one of the largest world markets unstable, Investment firms bankrolling games demanding high pay outs at regular intervals shoehorning microtransactions to inflate profits versus being satisfied with lower payouts, companies with long standing reputations showing signs of mismanagement and poor marketing and not offering "their" consumers what they want to buy, this usually alone scares the crap out of investors. Oversaturation of the market with very little differentiating products, Game fatigue is also a thing.

FCC going to shit is another thing, online games rely on fairness and an equal open market, what happens when networks and games start being throttled because investors have investments in both areas and want game A(their product) to be better than game B - honestly I hope this doesn't become a thing

I mean honestly you can take your picks but it boils down to a lot more than just a few events tipping 1 Domino and starting a chain reaction..something has to give.

Another thought is how have games really changed since I was a kid with his dad's Atari I can say from there to the NES all the way to the PlayStation 2 we saw staggering changes afterwards other than resolution jumps, what have we really seen that is game changing or really at the point of that OMG this is amazing experience? Everything we have seen is ho-hum and while graphics have started evolving we have never really seen that break neck technology that is the game changer,

Despite its problems and issues I think Ray tracing is definitely amazing, but we are no where near the power levels to allow a fully Raytraced game that gets close to the uncanny valley in realtime.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
With the overload of shooters over the last 20 years, the last release day BF purchase I've had was BF1942. I don't play multiplayer much anymore so I wait till they go sub $5-10 for the campaign.

It’s actually welling well, not as well as Red Dead 2 but not poorly, the US exchange is getting fucked right now because the government shutdown so a lot of people are selling.

?

The usd to euro exchange rate is pretty good right now.. I don't think the dollar had much to do with ea sucking.

People just can't handle the fact that there were indeed Chinese born Jewish female fighters with no limbs whom commanded a brigade full of american soldiers mixed with 19 different nationalites averaging 1 bionic arm a piece, armed with a Tommy Gun in WW2, all the while having their own reality cooking show in Germany that broadcasted at 5 P.M Monday through Friday...

Closed minded fools. Jokes on you.

Last edited:
I didn't buy BF5 due to historical inaccuracies, the whole "don't like it don't buy it" bs, and the PC agenda. I've been a huge fan of the BF series all the way back with 1942 (even played competitively with [SECON.US] and nearly defeating [Bucktoof] while in [ATHF]) but this crap drove me away. Perhaps the next iteration will be better. EA fucks everything they touch. Took longer with DICE, was overnight with Maxis. They need to learn. When shareholders feel the pinch though...

I remember you guys, both secon and athf! I was in kc|w (cal bf season 5 finalist) and played either season 6 or 7 with Bucktoof. Hung out a lot on the Wisconsin Death Trip server. I went by FumigaTor back then... big name change, I know. :)

I didn't buy the game for a few reasons, but mostly because it's shit. I played the alpha and the betas and I get the feeling that people don't realize just how shitty unless they played older titles.

Of course, ea/dice''s continued refusal to use an effective client side anti cheat was another. Back in the CAL/TWL days we installed all maner of 3rd party anti cheat... one of them written by Vigor from Paradigm Shift. Lastly, the servers. How you hire Phogue (he wrote Procon) a year before you release BF1 and still have the shitshow that was BF1's server situation at release only leads me to conclude that you hired Phogue specifically so he would not/could not write decent server support tools. The rsp program was such crap that you couldn't even set a password...

Anyway, I digress. No matter how much off they make this game it won't be worth it. By the time it's $5.00 all the players will be gone and the only people populating the servers will be hackers from other regions. No thanks.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
?

The usd to euro exchange rate is pretty good right now.. I don't think the dollar had much to do with ea sucking.
The stock exchange not the exchange rate, the US government shut down because they couldnt reach a budget agreement so the US stock market has droped lower than where it was in the 2008 crash. Chinese investors are selling off all US tech stocks like mad so any of them listed in the NASDAQ are getting pounded.

Played an hour or two tonight. I think the poor sales are culmination of issues.

1. Battlefield 1, Battlefront 1 and 2 were all kinda of let downs

2. Instead of an actual Battlefield 5 we got Battlefield V for whatever reason. No pun intended, I mean to say instead of getting a new modern battlefield game meant for competitive play we got a sort of demo of an updated battlefield 1942.

3. All jokes aside from gameplay to cover art this title really isnt all that distinguishable from Battlefield 1. Its not doing anything that screams "buy me Im the next big thing". That really can affect sales especially retail and console.

4. Regarding the WWII issues I kinda gotta agree I'm not sure where their heads were at but I'm below average on the WWII and I could still think of atleast 5-6 battles that would have been more enjoyable than anything they're put out. I can't speak for the single player. I never play single player BF games. I know going in their hearts not gonna be in and it'll be the mcdonalds happy meal single player campaign and not a serious investment.

5. There's only 8 maps with only 2 or so I enjoy, I'll admit I'm bored now.

6. The weapon balancing is hot garbage. None of the guns in this game are anything near what they should be. I can snipe people from 200+ yards with a sten bursting. People are headshotting while hopping around dodging bullets, it's a joke.

7. cheating is already rampant. I'd rather go back to that obnoxious security program they had back in the old days than deal with this....punkbuster? fuck I need my ginkobola and I'm pretty sure the nurses are stealing my things.

The biggest issue of all is that the youtuber/twitch community has already given it a massive thumbs down and fairly, for the lack of maps and disappointing gameplay. People are starting to be more wary of larger media outlets giving every BF/COD game a 9/10.

My concern is that they acted like this had been in development for a long time. It looks more like an unfinished expansion for BF1 that got handed off to Gearbox to finish.(yes Im still mad about ACM)

Last edited:
The stock exchange not the exchange rate, the US government shut down because they couldnt reach a budget agreement so the US stock market has droped lower than where it was in the 2008 crash. Chinese investors are selling off all US tech stocks like mad so any of them listed in the NASDAQ are getting pounded.

I agree that the current budget uncertainty is affecting markets, but you really have your numbers all wrong.

Firstly, EA's stock price has been falling since July. No one even mentioned a shutdown in 2018 until a couple of weeks ago, so this seems unrelated.

Secondly, just before the crash that started the great recession everyone was celebrating the new high of the Dow hitting a record of 14,000. After the crash in 2009 it briefly hit a low of ~6,400.

The Dow today is at 22,445, many times higher than its low during the recession. Sure, it's down a little from its high of 26,800 back in September, but to say that it has dropped lower than the 2008 crash is complete and utter nonsense. It is currently ~ 3 times higher than it was during the crash and ~1.6 times higher than the pre-crash record.

Wonder if the Battlefield franchise will get shelved at some point like Medal of Honor did. That was ea's big vision several years back, a yearly rotation of MOH one year and BF the next. MOH Warfighter shit the bed and led to the franchise getting shelved, then replaced with Battlefront. After the outrage about Battlefront 2 last year and now Battlefield 5 this year, it's not looking good for either franchise right now.

Maybe if EA actually ya know...let the devs make the game without some bullshit "October to Christmas" deadline constantly they would end up with a better product. Imagine "shipping" a game when it's complete instead of releasing it in a beta state then patching it to completion with multiple gigabytes of "updates". Battlefield is too big and complex of a game to have an iteration every 2 years and that's even with them recycling a lot of ingame assets.

Oh wait, i seem to be rambling like a madman :cautious:

Jesus I totally forgot they tried to revive MOH a couple times. Man what a shit show that was.

There's been a lot of videos on the player becoming the payer. With EA this is more true than anything. Most of EA profits come from loot boxes. There was a video done it.
Like I said before. I'm glad people are seeing this finally. Only way this changes is when the AAA companies start losing tons of money

Also maybe game companies should stop taking money from investors. Actually make a really good game. That can make enough money to make newer games

The stock market always goes down in the fall. People cashing out for Christmas presents... But EA has larger problems than that.

Last edited:
EA has a stale portfolio.

I'm so sick of sequels now. It's way too common in movies too. Reboots and sequels... How about more original ideas? But that is too risky, right?

It's almost like telling your customers to "not buy it then" is a bad idea...

oo wait. that's just exactly what happened :ROFLMAO:

In an interview with Gamasutra, EA chief creative officer Patrick Soderlund
took on the controversy directly:

"On the [women] in Battlefield, this is something that the development team pushed. Battlefield V is a lot about the unseen, the untold, the unplayed. The common perception is that there were no women in World War II. There were a ton of women who both fought in World War II and partook in the war.

These are people who are uneducated—they don’t understand that this is a plausible scenario, and listen: this is a game. And today gaming is gender-diverse, like it hasn’t been before. There are a lot of female people who want to play, and male players who want to play as a badass [woman].

And we don’t take any flak. We stand up for the cause, because I think those people who don’t understand it, well, you have two choices: either accept it or don’t buy the game. I’m fine with either or. It’s just not ok."

women in the game wasn't an issue for me. But i'm pretty sure there were many ...many other reasons to boycott EA beside just this.

Last edited:
Been giving BF V another chance after the last patch. The more I play it, the more I find annoying with the game. I keep trying to tell myself I like it but...

I really hope the gaming industry realizes how fucked up their releases were this year when they forced shit out the door. It only creates negative feedback and hurts your brand when you release half finished products.

Sadly EA and Bethesda won't learn imo.

Back