EA Stock Plummets by $21 Billion as Battlefield V Sales Disappoint

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Electronic Arts is expecting additional estimate reductions and downward revenue revisions due to the poor sales of Battlefield V. While some allude to the hard-hit tech market, Seeking Alpha blames consumer backlash, as the FPS has been heavily criticized for portraying WWII inaccurately and having a limited campaign. YouTuber YongYea predicts EA will continue to “hemorrhage” loyal customers due to this fiasco, which is already scaring away investors.

Since peaking in July, shares of Electronics Arts (EA) have fallen over 45% and set a fresh 52 week low on Monday. Though the broader technology market has suffered in recent months, EA’s outsized declines are caused by concerns over unit sales of the company’s tent-pole Battlefield franchise. This year’s release, titled Battlefield V, suffered from consumer backlash as a less authentic portrayal of WWII was revealed over the summer.

Wonder if the Battlefield franchise will get shelved at some point like Medal of Honor did. That was ea's big vision several years back, a yearly rotation of MOH one year and BF the next. MOH Warfighter shit the bed and led to the franchise getting shelved, then replaced with Battlefront. After the outrage about Battlefront 2 last year and now Battlefield 5 this year, it's not looking good for either franchise right now.

Maybe if EA actually ya know...let the devs make the game without some bullshit "October to Christmas" deadline constantly they would end up with a better product. Imagine "shipping" a game when it's complete instead of releasing it in a beta state then patching it to completion with multiple gigabytes of "updates". Battlefield is too big and complex of a game to have an iteration every 2 years and that's even with them recycling a lot of ingame assets.

Oh wait, i seem to be rambling like a madman :cautious:

2900490_0.jpg

Is the game at fault at all? I mean is the game not as good as bf3 or bf4 at all? Seems a pretty solid entry in the series from all I've read (haven't played it yet)

Is the game at fault at all? I mean is the game not as good as bf3 or bf4 at all? Seems a pretty solid entry in the series from all I've read (haven't played it yet)

It's a decent game...but incredibly lacking in content and good maps. Maps like Hamada it's not unusual to see the server emptying out to about half the previous amount of players.

It's a $30 game, as it sits. Thats the problem and the solution.

It's a $30 game, as it sits. Thats the problem and the solution.

Technically less than that if you just do one month of Origin premier. I paid $14 for one month, got my fill of the game, and stopped paying.

Honestly the game has a lot of smaller design choices that i'm not a fan of, but the poor map design is the biggest problem that really kills the game.

Technically less than that if you just do one month of Origin premier. I paid $14 for one month, got my fill of the game, and stopped paying.

Honestly the game has a lot of smaller design choices that i'm not a fan of, but the poor map design is the biggest problem that really kills the game.

They really shit the bed by not revisiting older maps, el-alamein, omaha, stalingrad, market garden etc etc. This whole focus on "lesser known battles" has led to some very meh maps.

Meanwhile I'm still playing BF4. That being said they can fix this shit with a Battlefield in a modern or future sci-fi setting and add female soldiers too.

Whats even weirder. They could of had women in the game. Russians had female squads and you could use French and Polish resistance females. Infact their use of a Norwegian female in the resistance seemed fine (although the mission she is on is incorrect). But the choice to include front line regular army girls in all fronts didn't jive. To my knowledge only Russia did that in WW2. I'll dig around and see if there was any more. But there were options to do this legit without it being a odd "agenda" like it was.

I'm not a big fan of EA, but I hate to see some of these big losses (Nvidia as well) involving the video game industry. Hopefully EA will again release games on Steam. If there ever was a reason I didn't buy an EA game, it's because it was on Origin. Do you know how many friends I have on Origin? ONE. By contrast I have 76 friends on Steam, and have been using that platform for 14 years.

You know as much as I like to say it was the "don't like it don't buy it."

This is mostly due to Fortnite, that is where the new generation of gamers went, then of course EA alienated the original fan base which adds to the injury, but it's mostly Fortnite.

EA would make a killing if they actually made games with like $30-$50 offerings. And I don't mean a crippled version.

I barely pay attention to these so-called "AAA" titles because I can get as good or better experiences with games by devs like NWI and others that sell at $30 ish. Why waste $80+ on shit that doesn't last?

I didn't buy BF5 due to historical inaccuracies, the whole "don't like it don't buy it" bs, and the PC agenda. I've been a huge fan of the BF series all the way back with 1942 (even played competitively with [SECON.US] and nearly defeating [Bucktoof] while in [ATHF]) but this crap drove me away. Perhaps the next iteration will be better. EA fucks everything they touch. Took longer with DICE, was overnight with Maxis. They need to learn. When shareholders feel the pinch though...

Of course the game is at fault, even more so are the people in charge of what direction the game took.

I respect women, but, there is a woman's voice in the game ... there is a woman on the cover of the game ... yet, 99.9% of all the people that served on the Battlefield were ... men. It's a BS fantasy piece and EA used ... repeat ... used women to further their aspirations for massive profits.

I am glad they are losing billions of dollars. In fact, I am down right happy and excited to hear this news. I hope all of the suits at EA lose their jobs. Actually, I wish the company just went out of business or was sold to a company that actually cared about it's customers and the games it publishes.

Keep fucking social justice out of our games. Games do not have to be politically correct.

They crapped all over their fans to appease a handful of whoever's ....

I didn't buy BF5 due to historical inaccuracies, the whole "don't like it don't buy it" bs, and the PC agenda. I've been a huge fan of the BF series all the way back with 1942 (even played competitively with [SECON.US] and nearly defeating [Bucktoof] while in [ATHF]) but this crap drove me away. Perhaps the next iteration will be better. EA fucks everything they touch. Took longer with DICE, was overnight with Maxis. They need to learn. When shareholders feel the pinch though...

more patience with them than me. The whole shitting on the mod community fiasco when they released the frostbite engine drove me away after years of competitive BF1 (mods) and BF2.

It would the best if EA somehow went bust, but that's never going to happen, short of some epic accounting scandal, certainly not due to epic stupidity as with marketing this series.

Would love for this to happen. It would actually be good for everyone involved. They've just about destroyed anyone and everything they've touched. I can't even remember how many years it's been that I've heard something good about EA.

The game is like $26 right now. I played the Alpha and Beta and had a good amount of fun.

Main reason I haven't purchased is there is no Pacific Theatre yet..

It's a decent game...but incredibly lacking in content and good maps. Maps like Hamada it's not unusual to see the server emptying out to about half the previous amount of players.

Billions of dollars and they can't setup a simple function to re-balance the teams, or let you change teams manually to balance things out. *eyeroll*. Plus their inability to shit or get off the pot when it comes to selecting a damage model and sticking with it.

I'm liking BF5 way way better than BF1, but it still sucks compared to BF3 and 4.

the issue is the yearly cadence of the games and the quality of the released product as it is never 100% complete. it has nothing to do the misogynists in this thread that are screaming for historical accuracy shocker girls play games as well .

It's fortnite even Patrick Soderlund was told by his daughter that she wants to play fortnite over battlefield (look it up). There are no misogynists it's all fortnite, imagine if bfv did not do all this regressive shit and still failed. FORTNITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Imagine a game with no pay wall and crazy characters that has real money options. Oh fortnite.

So their answer is to launch the game and what? Focus on ray trace integration, hit boxes and....... What else?

I miss selecting from a pile of great maps and choosing my squads.

Why not use invites to call mates in from chat?

I'm not a big fan of EA, but I hate to see some of these big losses (Nvidia as well) involving the video game industry. Hopefully EA will again release games on Steam. If there ever was a reason I didn't buy an EA game, it's because it was on Origin. Do you know how many friends I have on Origin? ONE. By contrast I have 76 friends on Steam, and have been using that platform for 14 years.
EA can eat a dick. So can Bethesda and Activision. They made gaming what it is now and deserve to go bankrupt.

Couldn’t get into it. Battlefield Vietnam and Battlefield 2 Modern Combat still my favorites.

I don't like everything they do but would hate to see bf shelved. My favorite game by far. EA needs to listen to fans more. Even if a good portion of the PC community can act like total idiots a lot of the time.

Reactions: bos
like this
It’s not just EA, all US based tech stocks are plummeting as the US stock exchange is shitting itself over yet another government shutdown. The NASDAQ is the largest single drop in 10 years and still dropping, foreign entities, mostly Chinese are selling American IT based stocks as fast and they can.

Edit: It’s not the lowest it’s been in 10 years it’s the single largest drop in 10 years.

Last edited:
Back