EA Steers Angry Customers Away from Google play

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Electronic Arts is earning is reputation as the ‘worst company in America’ with a bit a smoke and mirrors trickery by redirecting bad reviews back to EA’s own site instead of seemingly going to Google Play or the App Store. Stay classy EA.:rolleyes:

The company's new freemium game Dungeon Keeper tricks frustrated players into leaving bad reviews on its own site, instead of on the Google Play Store, Gamasutra reports.

when i first saw screenshots of how it tries to make you buy gems or influence your rating, i thought they were edited. "don't like that timer? throw money at it to make it go away". the sad thing is that enough people will do it. and i have no idea how that game scored 80 in some reviews on metacritic.

dungeon-keeper.jpg

That tactic is right up EA's alley, no surprise there...

It's so sad. I loved the old Dungeon Keeper games and hate to see them doing this to the franchise. I may have to see if I can go dig those old games up somewhere.

The old Dungeon Keeper was quite awsome and offered a unique game play for the time.

I feel sorry for the people who developed the first Dungeon Keeper games. Seeing the series they started getting dragged through the mud has to hurt.

"Electronic Arts is earning is reputation as the ‘worst company in America’ with a bit a smoke and mirrors trickery by redirecting bad reviews"

Oh yes that is soooooooooooooooooo much worse than:

- American Cyanamid Co who exports Carcinogens to Countries outside the US due to a loophole
- Bayer who sold medicine that infected people with H.I.V then exported it to Asia and Latin America when it was banned in the US
-Wal Mart who has seen 250 cases of hiring illegal workers and forcing them to work seven days a week even locking them in the stores during night time

I can go on and on. If you honestly believe they are "earning their reputation" as one of the worst companies in America by screwing with reviews to a video game you are one misguided and uneducated person.

"Electronic Arts is earning is reputation as the ‘worst company in America’ with a bit a smoke and mirrors trickery by redirecting bad reviews"

*snipped for brevity

I can go on and on. If you honestly believe they are "earning their reputation" as one of the worst companies in America by screwing with reviews to a video game you are one misguided and uneducated person.

It depends on how you grade that, I think the idea behind worst company is more of a customer service thing than an action/consequence thing. There's not doubt that there are a lot of companies in the world that commit some absolutely heinous acts in the name of profit. Some companies even commit acts that would be categorised as crimes against humanity if they were a government. But I think the "worst company" title isn't really about anything more than customer service, it's more of a bellyaching contest than a careful analysis of company activity.

- American Cyanamid Co who exports Carcinogens to Countries outside the US due to a loophole
- Bayer who sold medicine that infected people with H.I.V then exported it to Asia and Latin America when it was banned in the US
-Wal Mart who has seen 250 cases of hiring illegal workers and forcing them to work seven days a week even locking them in the stores during night time

"Worst company" voters are voting in how the company treats customers, not human rights violations.

Why am I not fucking surprised?

If google has any ethics, they should ban this game from the store till they fix its rating system, and toss out all previous ratings

Why am I not fucking surprised?

If google has any ethics, they should ban this game from the store till they fix its rating system, and toss out all previous ratings

Google and Apple make money from people buying gems/coins/cheats to play games. The only way this shit will go away is if consumers stop buying IAP, and that won't be happening anytime soon.

Posted my last message too soon..

I can't imagine any store will remove the game due to ratings manipulation. People thinking the game is great may be more inclined to spend money in it.

I dimly recall pushing #BoycottEA

Maybe it's about time to start pushing that hashtag again.

Cheating and screwing over your customers seems to be the business strategy of EA judging by the past few years.

"Worst company" voters are voting in how the company treats customers, not human rights violations.

....BP oil spill wasn't enough to beat EA, and I'm pretty sure that the oil spill affected more Americans directly than "human rights" violations by other companies.

Sometimes, I wonder how people can be so disconnected from reality that's occurring literately in their own backyard.

I hope I live to see a day when companies like EA are run out of business because people refuse to support such unbridled greed and disregard for anything other than money. I blame the people who support companies like that as much as I blame the companies themselves.

I've already blown 120 bucks on the game, it's given me more enjoyment than anything else lately! Y'all should get off your high horses and just let the market work the way god intended.

Making games impossible without transactions is the #1 reason you see so many hacked apks out there that offer unlimited jewls, gems, coins...

And as far as publishers go EA is pretty damn shadey.
They ruined Plants vs Zombies 2 with microtransactions. Id much rather had paid for the game up front.

Peter Molyneux, who designed the original 1997 Dungeon Keeper game, said he too was shocked when he saw the time it would take to dig out some sections of the map.

"I felt myself turning round saying, 'What? This is ridiculous. I just want to make a dungeon. I don't want to schedule it on my alarm clock for six days to come back for a block to be chipped,'" he told the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26033685

_72805763_dkeeper.jpg

The Metacritic user score is down to 0.3 out of 10 now. In the critic reviews section, it's pretty clear where some of the proceeds from the gems have gone.

I've already blown 120 bucks on the game, it's given me more enjoyment than anything else lately! Y'all should get off your high horses and just let the market work the way god intended.

They see you trollin', they hatin'

Making games impossible without transactions is the #1 reason you see so many hacked apks out there that offer unlimited jewls, gems, coins...

And as far as publishers go EA is pretty damn shadey.
They ruined Plants vs Zombies 2 with microtransactions. Id much rather had paid for the game up front.

I am not really sure you can blame just them for that. You had those fucking facebook games by zanga make tons of money via micro tractions and in time people learned that is an easy way to make lots of money fast.

Then it got worse and instead of just in game stuff you had Spyro bring that into real life where you buy a game but can't do much in the game as you have to pay for the characters you play as and the levels that you play as by buying toys that you load into the game. And now Disney jumped on that wagon for Disney Infinity.

Free to play with transactions is the new way to make games and make money. Part of it might be to trick people. If a game cost $200 you wouldn't buy it. but a game is free and you decide $1 a day isn't bad to pay to get a few extra turns. before you know it a year later that $1 a day has you up to over $300 for that game.

Anyone who has suffered through the nickle and diming of the later Tiger Woods titles are hardly suprised by this.

Screw EA.

Played this game on iOS and it's ridiculously boring. I play clash of clans some so I'm used to the freemium model or whatever you want to call it. However this game is just a snooze fest. At least on clash of clans it was more fun at the beginning and sort of had you hooked before it turned into a grind. This is just boring from the get go. I uninstalled it after a day and left my 1 star review.

....BP oil spill wasn't enough to beat EA, and I'm pretty sure that the oil spill affected more Americans directly than "human rights" violations by other companies.

Sometimes, I wonder how people can be so disconnected from reality that's occurring literately in their own backyard.

Exactly, the "work company" idiocy should be renamed "Company with most vocal & butt hurt community on the internet" award.

BP leak spews millions of gallons of oil into the gulf but EA "wins" it because they made an end for Mass Effect 3 people didn't like.

Bank of America wrongly screws over 10's of thousands of homeowners and kicks them to the curb to wrongly take their homes, but EA wins for including IAP.

What's wrong with this picture???

Oh course we've reached a point in history of man where a President can get a Nobel Peace Prize simply for being elected, so WTF do I know?

Personally I have no problem with free games having IAP for crap like this, I just don't bother with them.

When I take issue is when full retail priced games include these type of pay to play/win purchases, because if we support that then all games will be made into massive grind fests so as to force people into paying to avoid having to play endlessly to access everything.

For those calling people voting for EA in the Worst Company in America poll "childish" and "detached from reality", realize one simple thing: The other companies don't give two shits about who votes for them in an online poll. They've already committed more ethical violations than most fascist dictatorships, and as long as they're protected by congress and the army of lobbyists that feed them, they will continue to do so regardless of how many people complain.

Voting for EA in this online poll is the only way to actually send that company a message, since no other online site with even a minor relation to gamers would ever run a poll potentially harming the reputation of said publisher for fear of losing their freebies and review events.

Stay in context. This is a computer, software, video game and technology web site. Not an Anti-Citizens United web site.

And I agree with you, there are some extremely evil companies out there who put bottom line before the welfare of their employees, citizens and country.

ok Todd Akin :-P

I don't even...

There are bad companies and then people who should be tried for crimes against humanity. We are just talking about bad companies.

What goes around, comes around.

Stay in context. This is a computer, software, video game and technology web site. Not an Anti-Citizens United web site.

+++

The posters who are acting like wannabe bleeding-heart humanitarians need to get over themselves. This is a gaming website and we are talking about a gaming company. It's called "context", seriously.

+++

The posters who are acting like wannabe bleeding-heart humanitarians need to get over themselves. This is a gaming website and we are talking about a gaming company. It's called "context", seriously.

Actually this is a tech website, and the OP raised the "Worst company in America" issue themselves so addressing that part of it is justified and maybe you would take yourself a little less serious.

Back