EA starting a Steam-like service

beanman101283

2[H]4U
Personally, as another member on this forum said, I don't want a software delivery system from every game publisher on my system...

I'm just worried that some companies (particularly the larger ones) are going to use super-invasive things like the Sony BMG rootkits in the news lately. Its really getting to be obvious that these companies have no qualms about screwing the customer if they call it "digitial rights management" instead of "ass fucking".
And goddamnit if I have to dig around for another menu to keep another stupid little propriatary app from starting everytime my computer turns on I'm going on a cross-country rampage.

By the by I wasn't steam bashing...its just that it didn't function properly when it launched and I had to wait a few days to activate my uber expensive platinum edition of HL2, although the sheer awesomeness of that game redeemed valve in my eyes to a degree.
I just have the feeling there is more than meets the eye to these types of programs, yano?

Nope, I don't want it...I can already download games via the net and use a valid CD. lol
What if I want to sell my game....i dont' want to sell the acct.

like them or not:

If we have to have steam like programs all the time, I'd prefer if microsoft would do it. Rather than have a steam like application for every company microsoft has the "launcher"

deathBOB said:
The less microsoft controls the better.

Aint that the muthfuckin truth!

I wouldn't want any more software like stream either one is bad enough, pos updating every 5 seconds ffs.

A way to advertise other products and get information on target audiences.

Nihilanth99 said:
Personally, as another member on this forum said, I don't want a software delivery system from every game publisher on my system...

I said that in the first thread I posted about this a few days ago. And on top of that, EA isn't charging less for the downloaded version of the game. As long as the price is the same, I'll take the package that gives me more. In this case, it means a manual, CD/DVD, and a nifty game case.

Pretty cool

I hated Steam when it first came out (for good reasons haha...) but now it's quite nice to not have to keep track of CDs.... just login with my account and it downloads the games I own :) Pretty slick imo

deathBOB said:
The less microsoft controls the better.
how about the less corporations control? internet and computers in general did come from tax-payer funding.

beanman101283 said:
Please don't make this a Steam bashing thread, if possible.
If you don't want negative comments about Steam, then don't start the fire by mentioning "Steam-like" in the subject line. That being said: Steam sucks.

If the price is the same, then give me the manual, CD/DVD and a nice box to put 'em in every time. I end up getting more for my money and I usually save $$$ by using B&M loss-leader pricing. Example: Half-Life 2 for Steam pricing or get the same thing in the bargin bin at Best Buy?

Oh, yeah, forgot to comment on the MS thing. MS doesn't want to piss off the B&M stores by having Steam. It's like them saying "Hey, Best Buy and CompUSA. Would you mind selling our consoles on which you don't make a lot of markup on? Don't worry about the games which have a bigger profit center. We'll sell those online by having people download them."

Those stores will tell Microsoft to go take a hike and sell their consoles elsewhere. Downloadable content will for the foreseeable future, be limited to older titles and library collections. The smaller publishers (having to compete with the Big Three for shelf space) will use it more, but I don't see our games going away from B&M stores anytime soon.

LOL I don't mean to sound like a troll but it's EA... EA!!!! They'll screw up for sure.

Volume said:
LOL I don't mean to sound like a troll but it's EA... EA!!!! They'll screw up for sure.
They'll come out with EASteam2006, followed by EASteam2007, EASteam2008 and so on. It'll be the same thing everytime, but with an updated roster of games.

It's not a bad idea. However, I like having a hard copy of software. You can burn you're own but to me it's not as good as a quality original. That and I like box art and whatnot.

A very good thing about a system like this though is that you bypass the publisher so the guys who poured their hearts and souls into the thing get their due. Probably not so with EA though. :(

Torgo said:
If you don't want negative comments about Steam, then don't start the fire by mentioning "Steam-like" in the subject line. That being said: Steam sucks.

If the price is the same, then give me the manual, CD/DVD and a nice box to put 'em in every time. I end up getting more for my money and I usually save $$$ by using B&M loss-leader pricing. Example: Half-Life 2 for Steam pricing or get the same thing in the bargin bin at Best Buy?

QFT! I still haven't bought or played HL2 because I'm completely opposed to this crap. No reason to use this instead of just having a download storefront that's not installing something on your system... :rolleyes:

I'm up for it if they are willing to also take a cut and sell the downloadable games for something like $34.95 like it used to a long time ago... not charge us full store price for the downloadable game.

Back