EA patents method to avoid waiting for game downloads

That's not the point lol. its preference. No way in hell I wanna deal with different flash drives for each game. Much easier to miss place and damage.

Plus to have flash drives that will be able to keep up with speed requirements will only add to more cost and might never be as fast as internal IO.

Yea I do remember having to wait for levels to load off disks and glad your disks work from the 90s. I had so many I had to rub and clean to make work its crazy lol.
You could always copy your flash drive to an internal drive or do a full install. The point suggested is to use the flash drive instead of downloading game media, which would be a fine solution.

Maybe not everyone has access to gigabit?
Sounds like a fine time to bring up municipal fiber at the next town hall then. Having lived places with it, it’s pretty freaking sweet. Or, another option I suppose, is move somewhere with decent bandwidth.

You could always copy your flash drive to an internal drive or do a full install. The point suggested is to use the flash drive instead of downloading game media, which would be a fine solution.

True I guess might make sense in that case but It will just add cost I think and must be a reason they haven't done it. May be DRM issues on top.

Brought to you by EA... Pay 2.99 to stream play now while your game installs. EA releases update every 36 hours so you always have to install something. I can see it now

I really like blizzards way of doing this with WoW. You can start playing alot earlier into the download and it just prioritizes the files you need for the areas you're in then downloads the rest until you need more to keep playing, works pretty smoothly.

Sounds like a fine time to bring up municipal fiber at the next town hall then. Having lived places with it, it’s pretty freaking sweet. Or, another option I suppose, is move somewhere with decent bandwidth.
You seem to have all the answers. You a CEO somewhere?

I really like blizzards way of doing this with WoW. You can start playing alot earlier into the download and it just prioritizes the files you need for the areas you're in then downloads the rest until you need more to keep playing, works pretty smoothly.

Yeah was going to say, didn't they do this exact thing when I was installing the fallen order

It was playable after just a third was down loaded! That means this is just adding video streaming

Origin has a part download and play (leaves high res textures for last) which I tried last year, it wasn't a bad solution they. At least no stream lag.

The laws in some places make it unfeasible to setup municipal fiber, and it's equally as hard to change said laws due to the lobbying power of corporate telcos.
Pretty sure discs are still significantly cheaper than comparable USB drives.
Last I checked a 64GB flash drive is cheaper than a dual-layer Blu-ray disc in bulk. Unless you want the next Call of Duty game to come on 25 DVDs. And flash drives are much faster than Blu-ray.

PC gamers seem to have clearly chosen the steam model over the physical disk model, I am not sure why they would change idea for an USB key, and now that game get patched so much I am not sure how much relevance where the day 1 content was has.

For something popular like a popular video game, the license and master cost get amortized quite fast and a disk is probably quite cheap, even the expensive press like the bluray ($2) seem hard to have a significant saving to be done by using usb key instead, but the buyer of the media does not have to buy a disk reader.

PC gamers seem to have clearly chosen the steam model over the physical disk model, I am not sure why they would change idea for an USB key, and now that game get patched so much I am not sure how much relevance where the day 1 content was has.

For something popular like a popular video game, the license and master cost get amortized quite fast and a disk is probably quite cheap, even the expensive press like the bluray ($2) seem hard to have a significant saving to be done by using usb key instead, but the buyer of the media does not have to buy a disk reader.
I'm more keen on the idea of using them or other hard storage mediums for movies and such. There is no current viable optical media to deliver 8K, and it can't be done over the internet. UHD Blu-ray is barely acceptable for 4K as it is.

What if someone works andsupports an elderly parent and cannot move? Is moving for internet of all things worth it? Do you see how such a simplistic answer in a very complex world doesn't work?
Your saying, 1) you do not currently have an option for gigabit, and no provider is even capable of installing it. 2) it’s impossible for you to even propose municipal fiber at the next town hall (live somewhere population 75 or something?). 3) you don’t want to move

Then I guess gigabit is not your priority - if it were, you would figure out one of the 3. When I was in that situation, I worked with several other people in my last town to get municipal fiber. The only other options were 5mbit dsl or Comcast.

Your saying, 1) you do not currently have an option for gigabit, and no provider is even capable of installing it. 2) it’s impossible for you to even propose municipal fiber at the next town hall (live somewhere population 75 or something?). 3) you don’t want to move

Then I guess gigabit is not your priority - if it were, you would figure out one of the 3. When I was in that situation, I worked with several other people in my last town to get municipal fiber. The only other options were 5mbit dsl or Comcast.
1) I have gigabit as an option. I wouldn't pay for it because it's not worth it. 2) I'm playing devils advocate because of your initial response to my first statement. 3) Most people still will not pick a house because of gigabit availability. In fact, now that Starlink is here, even more people will be moving further out, and having a blast with just 80-100mpbs for the next decade or so. Just to be away from urban people who tend to suck in general.

Back