EA on Women in Battlefield V: Accept It, or Don’t Buy the Game

For a lot of us immersion plays a big role. It defines the difference between mediocre games and great ones. When you see something silly and unfitting it just takes you out of the experience. Similar to how TV/movies/games try and make every former SEAL a female. It is just silly and makes the character less believable. Crysis 3, The 100 are two examples that come to mind but there are a number of others that I've seen. They try to build up a character to make them seem badass, but when you chuckle at how silly it is you take the character less silly.
The whole gameplay trailer looks arcady and non realistic to begin with, I'm not sure which part of the female brakes the immersion for you. It's a little strange to me that woman fighting is silly, but powersuits and aliens is ok. :/

I never really understood this anti-diversity in films/movies thing. It's not like companies say "Hey, divert a large a fraction of our resources to making this a diverse game". Replacing all the characters with white males isn't going to suddenly fix bad games/movies either. Companies make crappy games and movies. Deal with it.

Today in some parts of the world, 13-year old girls are fighting and dying in real wars.
Not that I really care (obviously I don't, since I'm not doing anything to stop it) but doesn't it illustrate how inane this debate is?
LMAO! How many starving African children could we feed with our comments?

You sound like EA provided you a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Imagine if you were a women in WW2 and were doing a "man's" job. Imagine how much for pride and accomplishment you'd feel.

You sound like you are attributing shit to my comment that isn't there.

Fuck EA before, now, and after.

And for whats its worth: My paternal grandmother was a mechanic working on bomber engines during WWII while her husband, my paternal grandfather, was a B-24 flight engineer flying over Europe. I don't give a shit one way or another about how people feel about women soldiers in a fucking WWII video game. I know what happened in real life.

**DISCLAIMER**(for the millennial or otherwise politically correct person) Following response may contain strong language**DISCLAIMER**

WHO FUCKING CARES

It starts feeling like the human race needs to experience a real WW3 soon so it learns again for a couple of decades not to fight over nothing. So much aggression over the Internet over the least important stuff these days, very sad to see. If it was only teens it would be one thing but grownups aren't much better either.

Last edited:
You sound like you are attributing shit to my comment that isn't there.

Fuck EA before, now, and after.

And for whats its worth: My paternal grandmother was a mechanic working on bomber engines during WWII while her husband, my paternal grandfather, was a B-24 flight engineer flying over Europe. I don't give a shit one way or another about how people feel about women soldiers in a fucking WWII video game. I know what happened in real life.

You misunderstood ,I was joking with you at EA's expense on EA's comment of pride and accomplishment. I 100% agree with you , fuck EA

serious question? what's the most game that BFV will be competing against at it's release? COD? because I'm really thinking about buying that game

edit: AC Odyssey will be released in the same month, GREAT. now I need to add a shooter game.

Last edited:
Private Vasquez from Aliens, anyone? No one gave a shit that the character was a woman and no one argued that she was a badass.

Exactly:

I wish Buffy, Firefly, and Angel was mentioned in the vid.

To note one thing that was always said about Joss Whedon is that he writes female characters really well, and the women actors really like their characters. The issue here to me, is that many of the designers of games, writers of movies, whatever entertainment now just go about the whole thing wrong. Make it unappealing, piss in the fan base face, and say fuck off "its their way." Well they will all tank because of that. People just want some well done, likable, game play that introduces shit properly-just not in their manner. Been done with DICE long time ago anyways, and EA can suck a peanutty shit for all I care.

Waiting for Cyberpunk.....

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd think gamers would love having the option to play as a woman in Battlefield V, considering how much they love roleplaying as salty cunts on social media...

Women get to play as women? Cool.
Men who want to play as women get to do so? You do you.

For fuck's sake... just enjoy the damned game.

(Until it turns out it's a microtransaction-laden shithole. Then, "Fuck EA.")

Spent a few HOURS on the phone and in a chat window with EA this past week with their tech reps for an issue I'm suddenly having with Mass Effect 2/3 and DLC install/access in game. After a while you begin to realize they all lie (and on a regular basis like it's the normal thing to do) and all of them say "sorry" a lot like Zuckerberg likes to do and then you begin to realize they are reading off an idiot sheet on their PC monitor and can't think for themselves (which is probably why the tech support help line is free). After many calls to EA they promise to escalate the issue but don't and no amount of screenshots you send them seems to change anything. Eventually they offer a partial refund for the game price and offer ZERO for the DLC you paid for. What a shady company ...

No other gaming company I've ever dealt with has such consistent issues like this and on such a regular basis so as to need a free tech line for customers. I never had an issue at STEAM that they didn't solve and they never had to bail out by offering me a partial refund ...

Hey EA, I'm laughing at the superior intellect :LOL:

Spent a few HOURS on the phone and in a chat window with EA this past week with their tech reps for an issue I'm suddenly having with Mass Effect 2/3 and DLC install/access in game. After a while you begin to realize they all lie (and on a regular basis like it's the normal thing to do) and all of them say "sorry" a lot like Zuckerberg likes to do and then you begin to realize they are reading off an idiot sheet on their PC monitor and can't think for themselves (which is probably why the tech support help line is free). After many calls to EA they promise to escalate the issue but don't and no amount of screenshots you send them seems to change anything. Eventually they offer a partial refund for the game price and offer ZERO for the DLC you paid for. What a shady company ...

No other gaming company I've ever dealt with has such consistent issues like this and on such a regular basis so as to need a free tech line for customers. I never had an issue at STEAM that they didn't solve and they never had to bail out by offering me a partial refund ...

Hey EA, I'm laughing at the superior intellect :LOL:

I'm sure this has something to do with BFV.

Exactly:

I wish Buffy, Firefly, and Angel was mentioned in the vid.

To note one thing that was always said about Joss Whedon is that he writes female characters really well, and the women actors really like their characters. The issue here to me, is that many of the designers of games, writers of movies, whatever entertainment now just go about the whole thing wrong. Make it unappealing, piss in the fan base face, and say fuck off "its their way." Well they will all tank because of that. People just want some well done, likable, game play that introduces shit properly-just not in their manner. Been done with DICE long time ago anyways, and EA can suck a peanutty shit for all I care.

Waiting for Cyberpunk.....

Great video. I agree.

Reactions: _l_
like this
For a lot of us immersion plays a big role. It defines the difference between mediocre games and great ones. When you see something silly and unfitting it just takes you out of the experience. Similar to how TV/movies/games try and make every former SEAL a female. It is just silly and makes the character less believable. Crysis 3, The 100 are two examples that come to mind but there are a number of others that I've seen. They try to build up a character to make them seem badass, but when you chuckle at how silly it is you take the character less silly.

I'm sorry...did you just suggest that the inclusion of women is enough to turn a great game into a mediocre one because your sense of immersion is ruined? How in the world do you cope with regenerating health and HUDs? Or do you believe that soldiers actually see a handy icon pointing out the locations of enemies whenever they're shot? :p

This isn't about immersion. It's about other people getting to choose an avatar that more accurately represents them. I guess somehow other people getting to play pretend is ruining your ability to do so? That must be so difficult for you. How do you go on?

to be fair, he does have a point..... women soldiers were a thing, perhaps not in our (US) army besides the medics and such, but the French if I recall, had snipers, hell the Russians had one female sniper with over 300 confirmed kills.....

im sure it was far more common then people realize, due to the stigma of "we cant put our females in battle" so was probably glossed over, OFTEN...…

and beyond that, ill revert back to what everyone else has stated, ITS A GAME, GET OVER IT

Who really gives a fuck. Battlefield has been completely off the rails absurd since day 1 so anyone complaining about realism or immersion is retarded.

Women's Battalion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_Battalion

American reporter Bessie Beatty estimated the total number of women serving in these gender-segregated units at 5,000 in the fall of 1917, but only the 1st Russian Women's Battalion of Death and the Perm Battalion were deployed to the front.[3]

View attachment 81926

View attachment 81927

These were Russian female soldiers in the images above.

46 Canadian female soldiers were killed during the war.

Women in World War I.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_World_War_I

2,000 Finnish female soldiers fought in their Civil War which was started because of Russia's collapse during World War I. It ended with Finland finally breaking from from Russian rule and becoming an independent country. Finland was supposed to join Germany after the war, but we know how that worked out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Civil_War

Female Red Guards of the Finnish Civil War.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Civil_War

Women have been fighting in wars since the beginning of time. Heck the Vikings were notable for their women fighting alongside the men. I don't know why people think that the same cultures that produced the Vikings would suddenly make their women into trophy wives for World War I.

Most women enlisted during World War I from America were nurses or doing things like running switchboards. Nurses of course were in the military hospitals that were near to the battles. Many men that were traumatized by chemical warfare preferred female nurses as they could calm them down.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_women_in_World_War_I

11,000 American women in the Navy
21,000 Army nurses.
Lots more. Check out the article. :)

Same thing happened in World War II.

/shrug

Context.

Do you play as a Russian in the game?

Yes, the build-up of female combatants is way, way overdone in basically everything lately because the main issue is that they constantly remind the fucking audience that "and this is being done by a woman, wow!" as opposed to the approach of simply showing someone badass being badass and letting the audience accept it as such. Private Vasquez from Aliens, anyone? No one gave a shit that the character was a woman and no one argued that she was a badass.

I guess the structure of how you used Crysis and The 100 makes more sense if you had that at the end of what you typed because the examples don't apply otherwise. There's a stark difference between something like a female Navy SEAL in Crysis, an apocalyptic future setting...

Because it is still silly. It just cuts believably because it is supposed to be serious. Imagine a serious modern day film where someone claims they learned fighting skills because they were a samurai. Even if briefly, your immersion is killed. Yeah movies are not real, but good films (or games) set up a theme and try to seem believable.

But also...wtf do you expect them to do when they're trying to appeal to as broad an audience as they can? This is about money...

I realize that, but I also don't care. I'm not interested in lining some overpaid CEO's pockets while they run games into the ground in the name of making a few more dollars. To be a game is about fun and immersion. I don't really give much a shit if a game makes 7% more profits because they shoehorned females, mechanical arms or zombies into games they shouldn't be in.

The whole gameplay trailer looks arcady and non realistic to begin with, I'm not sure which part of the female brakes the immersion for you. It's a little strange to me that woman fighting is silly, but powersuits and aliens is ok. :/

Exactly. One armed female infantry, blue face paint, crappy cosmetic micro transactions are crap. Of course it ruins immersion. If you like tasteless games like CS:GO / R6S that is fine. For people who like a game to look and feel somewhat realistic it is a problem. What works for Borderlands / TF2 doesn't work for every other game.

Companies make crappy games and movies. Deal with it.

Exactly, and people will complain about crappy games and movies. When a decent game/movie series becomes crappy people will complain about it. Deal with it.

I'm sorry...did you just suggest that the inclusion of women is enough to turn a great game into a mediocre one because your sense of immersion is ruined?

Yes, one armed women with blue face paint is immersion ruining. Art direction, content and quality all differentiate a good game from a lazy one. Just like crap like this is immersion breaking:
https://preview.************/gXBfra/Tom_Clancy_s_Rainbow_Six_Siege_08_17_2017_14_49_40_09.png

How in the world do you cope with regenerating health and HUDs? Or do you believe that soldiers actually see a handy icon pointing out the locations of enemies whenever they're shot? :p

Copy / pasting from a previous post, because it applies here:

Realism or visual realism has its place in games. It adds to the setting or sets the mood, and immerses you into the theme. If I play a war game I want to see uniforms, equipment, sounds and characters that look somewhat authentic. Having a neon faced, one armed lady running around minimizes that immersion. It is hard to get immersed into a theme when it looks absolutely nothing like what it is supposed to be portraying. It separates the lazy developers from the ones who take effort to really design a game around their setting.

Your counter arguments are complete bullshit. Games are meant to be fun and permanent death is not fun to anyone. Just because you want to play a war game with some nods to authentic artwork to better immerse yourself in the theme doesn't mean you want a fully realistic "life of a soldier" documentary.

Shades of gray. If you see things as "full real world documentary" or "missing arm, blue pained females riding dinosaurs" with no in between, you're an idiot.

This isn't about immersion.

Well that is where we differ. I know there are "dude bro gamers" who lap up anything as long as there are explosions on the screen. But some of us like some context for what is happening on screen. A good story, good artwork, and attempt to recreate a setting into a video game goes leaps and bounds. It separates the from the bad games.

It's about other people getting to choose an avatar that more accurately represents them.

If I'm playing a WWII war game, I expect to see soldiers. Go play "real life" if you want to play yourself.

I guess somehow other people getting to play pretend is ruining your ability to do so?

The difference between a good game and a bad game. Create a theme, make a setting. Or should I be able to play as a caveman with a bow an arrow that shoots hearts because that is how I feel? LOL!

That must be so difficult for you. How do you go on?

Clearly, you hate war games enough that the setting upsets you. I wonder how you go on. Further, I wonder how how much the real world does. Because in the real world, woman are very under represented in infantry. If you get this worked up about a game I wonder how you cope in the real world. :p

Last edited:
ultimatums always work.

goldenpoo3.jpg

hear EA you dropped this.

Because it is still silly. It just cuts believably because it is supposed to be serious. Imagine a serious modern day film where someone claims they learned fighting skills because they were a samurai. Even if briefly, your immersion is killed. Yeah movies are not real, but good films (or games) set up a theme and try to seem believable.
So the last samurai wasn't real :/

A company has almost no leverage in a real marketplace. I won't buy the game simply because it doesn't look interesting. SJW pandering still makes my eyes roll though.

According to PC Gamer it will launch with only the British and Germans. Then more countries will be added as time goes on. Considering how many Russians died during the war I'd assume that they will be added at some point.

I'd assume so as well. Kind of lame that there are only two factions at the start. BF1 was odd in that there were no French until some DLC. French were a lot more important than Americans in WWI.

I'd hope for Soviets and Americans. A pacific theater expansion would be nice to. I'm not sure if expansions will be of good quality though seeing that everything will be "free". If people buy a lot of crap via micro transactions we may get more content, but at the same time if people keep buying cosmetic crap they will scrap the bottom of the barrel as long as they can make an extra buck. I fully expect the game to look like R6S by the time the game is a year old. One of those damned if you do (crappy cosmetics), damned if you don't (lack of content compared to BF3/4 premium).

I really don't care... been a huge huge Battlefield fan forever, but this time around I'm actually leaning towards the "not gonna buy it" camp for the first time.

To me it's less about "re-writing history" and having a woman as a lead role, and more about the "hey look as us guys, we are totally jumping on the political correctness bandwagon, and copying every other game since putting women in games is so hot right now"

When your game becomes some SJW looking and feeling shit... I lose interest really fast. I play game to escape reality, not get sucked into some political/social statement bullshit parade.

Why not just make the game where you can pick a guy or a girl to as? Let the player choose and everyone can live out whatever video game fantasy they want.

I really miss the early days of gaming, none of this bullshit existed. I play games to escape the crap of day to day life, which ever way you come down on this topic its a sad day for gaming.

Perfect way to wrap all my thoughts up. I don't want politics and social drama in my games. Games are an escape from the dramas of reality.

Why not just make the main playable character a fluffy animal instead of a human period!? Jazz Jackrabbit all day!

A Battlefield game is hardly a documentary based 100% on reality, if they want to have women characters let them. You don't want to play a woman character? Then just don't choose one at the start of the game dummy.

Sure there were not a lot of woman on the front lines as far as I know, but I believe there were women pilots? And some women I'm sure were able to enlist or otherwise aid the war effort in battle, it was WW2 after all. What the hell is the harm in allowing women characters in a dman game? Want historical accuracy? Read a textbook.

I don't identify with either. I want to play as a gender fluid character. Where's my representation dammit?

Back