EA on Women in Battlefield V: Accept It, or Don’t Buy the Game

That's not the issue. They don't want to be true to history, fine. But they should own up to it, and not try and re-write history to match their bullshit ideology.

There is no way shape in form that a video game can re-write history LOL, What the fuck are you talking about? It's a video game. Wow this thread is batshit crazy

This is a video game, yes. But this is a video game squarely set in a historical milieu and is not trying to be semi-satire e.g. Wolfenstein. Further, it's a period/historical time that is still in the collective affixed in the first or second-hand memory of many, many people. I have members on all sides of my family who fought in WW2 from whom I have a directly related history. My maternal grandfather was on Omaha, paternal at Guadalcanal. I have a great uncle whose B-17 was shot down over Alsace, buried there. I watched my grandfather struggle with and pray before bed every night for the Germans he had to kill while there. ...All men.

My grandmothers were both in the War effort as well, and their commitment can't be discounted... but they were in on-base support Services.

I'm all for most of the social progressiveness EA (and other publishers) has been pushing in games. I loved Andromeda and felt that people decrying "SJWs!" were seriously overaggressive, or at worst deranged. I love it when games offer choices around gender roles. That said, this revisionist tripe is 10 steps too far.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
This is a video game, yes. But this is a video game squarely set in a historical milieu and is not trying to be semi-satire e.g. Wolfenstein. Further, it's a period/historical time that is still in the collective affixed in the first or second-hand memory of many, many people. I have members on all sides of my family who fought in WW2 from whom I have a directly related history. My maternal grandfather was on Omaha, paternal at Guadalcanal. I have a great uncle whose B-17 was shot down over Alsace, buried there. I watched my grandfather struggle with and pray before bed every night for the Germans he had to kill while there. ...All men.

My grandmothers were both in the War effort as well, and their commitment can't be discounted... but they were in on-base support Services.

I'm all for most of the social progressiveness EA (and other publishers) has been pushing in games. I loved Andromeda and felt that people decrying "SJWs!" were seriously overaggressive, or at worst deranged. I love it when games offer choices around gender roles. That said, this revisionist tripe is 10 steps too far.

It is a video game. If you dont like how the video game is made, dont buy it. Show EA how bad they are by saving money! I mean it's really not hard to understand. This video game is not going to offend your family who were badass and brave enough to fight in WW2, we should all respect them!

But a video game will not offend them what so ever. If a game based on a fantasy of WW2 is going to offend you, well then sir I think you have some issues. Since again it is a video game.

I think after reading this thread I have found my first ever group of people I want to block and never hear from again
Holy shit you guys
Its a game....hahahaha ITS A GAME. yes I'm using that term.

All the wah wah wah about "well its not cause there are women avatars, its WHY they were put in"
Who honestly should give a shit...really...is this honestly the absolute PINNACLE of a first world problem

I worked for EA, they want money and will do WHATEVER they can to make it, and yet you all seem affronted.
"Historical accuracy blah blah blah"...Once again...its EA...and once again....its a game.

Get the fuck over yourselfs

Wouldn't have thought I';d say this.....but I agree with EA, have an issue with it, move onto to something else.
This nearly needs to go to the soapbox its turned into such a shitfest
From now on, you aren't allowed to complain about anything you like in life that gets shat on. Ever. "It's just an X, bro" for you from now on.

There is no way shape in form that a video game can re-write history LOL, What the fuck are you talking about? It's a video game. Wow this thread is batshit crazy
It's about EA's comments and statements.

You are looking in the wrong place if you think games give a shit about anyones feelings.
Does everyone forget about BF1942. Totally inaccurate also, did EA give a shit then. no.

It is a video game. If you dont like how the video game is made, dont buy it. Show EA how bad they are by saving money! I mean it's really not hard to understand. This video game is not going to offend your family who were badass and brave enough to fight in WW2, we should all respect them!

But a video game will not offend them what so ever. If a game based on a fantasy of WW2 is going to offend you, well then sir I think you have some issues. Since again it is a video game.
Maybe it's hard to grasp for the PC crowd, but this isn't about people being offended. It's about people getting upset that yet another thing they like has been shat on by certain ideologies

From now on, you aren't allowed to complain about anything you like in life that gets shat on. Ever. "It's just an X, bro" for you from now on.
Yes that's an accurate response
"I broke my knee doing the thing"..."hold on dude you stopped people complaining about a game so you now can't complain about anything anymore"

Another one for the block list

Maybe it's hard to grasp for the PC crowd, but this isn't about people being offended. It's about people getting upset that yet another thing they like has been shat on by certain ideologies

Since when has a video game become an ideology? Since you disagree with a video game?

Yes that's an accurate response
"I broke my knee doing the thing"..."hold on dude you stopped people complaining about a game so you now can't complain about anything anymore"

Another one for the block list
Smart move. It hurts when people point out your nonsense arguments. Better to avoid seeing it in the future.

I am obviously not a mod, and by most accounts, I'm probably one of the newest and least- [H]ard among you.

Notwithstanding that, I have to believe that Lenard must be overstating his position out of frustration. I have to believe, and seriously hope, no one in this forum would mean such a thing. I think, and would encourage, Lenard to rethink what he's said, realize how reprehensible and inappropriate it is, and issue a proper apology.

I'm not at all a prude. I'm not correct on many things, politically or otherwise. However, I think this statement cannot be genuine, because such an individual would have very serious character defect. It should not have been said, and should now be addressed and an apology issued. We all overstate things from time to time, putting judgment aside. This is particularly offensive, however, and warrants a response from its author.

That's also an opportunity to more appropriately articulate what he meant to say.

Edit: to be clear I am roundly condemning Lenard's statement. In case that was not clear.

Maybe you people shouldn't immediately assume the worst. Battlefield rape is a serious issue that should be addressed properly. Ignoring the real life issue because you don't want to admit that rape occurs does not make you a good person. You are a bad person.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/...ld-to-ignore-afghan-allies-abuse-of-boys.html

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation...d-for-interfering-in-child-assault-by-afghan/

The original Call of Duty on the PC was somewhat historically accurate. The big thing was, it gave the player the sense that they were part of something real and it felt like the characters were real as well. Yes, the graphics were not as good as todays stuff but, imagination and story telling where far better. Also, I remember feeling actually bad when I had to shot other people in the United Offensive game, it made it seem so real.

Why would I even bother with BF anyways, since I could not even finish the single player of BF4, the save game corruption issue was never fixed. I also have not bothered finishing BF1 yet.

You're narrow minded because you fail to understand that representation of a race, sex, handicap, sexual orientation etc. are important.
If this game only had black people in it, would you want to play it? What if it only had Gay people? Or white men only?

FOH keyboard masher

Games with only white men in them have been demonized for many years now. At least you're admitting that those are valid games.

IMO Battlefield video games are about as historically accurate as Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare. Just my 0.02c.

Uh, Advanced Warfare took place in the near future.

People who say "It doesn't matter if women are in combat. It is a game, not a historical documentary" seem to be the same people who applaud the decision for it's forward thinking and 'inclusion'.

I am guessing they prefer ignorance of history and advancing a social agenda over knowledge or even having fun in the game. No one who just wants to have fun cares that there is or isn't women characters in the game.

Also, some who just want to have fun playing the game don't want to be told they have to celebrate the inclusion of women characters. They just want to have fun without a social agenda being pushed on them.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
You're narrow minded because you fail to understand that representation of a race, sex, handicap, sexual orientation etc. are important.
If this game only had black people in it, would you want to play it? What if it only had Gay people? Or white men only?

FOH keyboard masher

When Samus was revealed to be a girl in Metroid two things happened.

1. - I considered my sexuality for the first time.
2. - I immediately decided I could never play the game again.
3. - I began questioning the gender of every masked character and refused to play a game until the Gender was firmly established. (I couldn't play HALO unti Halo 3 was out)

You don't get it, do you?

It's not about the game. I love the fact that you can have a female character in the game. In fact I prefer it nowadays.

The issue is the weasel who comes out and says that this is actually historically accurate, and everyone who says otherwise is a woman hater "and should learn history".

This goes far beyond the content of the actual game.
This is about people in game development who want reality to match their ideology, and will say shit like this in public. And they get applauded for "being brave".

like this
No... The dreams of a totalitarian progressive state lead by a triumphant brigade of Social Justice Warriors is lost. So sorry comrade; America will continue to be run by it's long standing traditions and laws.

The progressive movement is dead; long live laissez faire capitialism!!

No... The dreams of a totalitarian progressive state lead by a triumphant brigade of Social Justice Warriors is lost. So sorry comrade; America will continue to be run by it's long standing traditions and laws.

The progressive movement is dead; long live laissez faire capitialism!!

While sjw does seem to be losing, it's more of a transition to corporatism than a return to laissez faire.

Oh please! You missed the point! It's not you property and it's not for you to decide its course of development. Like it- Buy it! Don't Like it-Don't buy it!

You want to fight what you want to call a "progressive agenda"? Fight with your wallet! What part of "simple" don't you get?"
Funny when progressives are outraged they are allowed to vocally protest but when non-progressives do so than they are criticized. Hypocrisy noted. The backlash has started; get used to it...

like this
While sjw does seem to be losing, it's more of a transition to corporatism than a return to laissez faire.
Laissez faire refers to minimal government intervention in the practices of private business. It applies to small, medium and even large corporations. The Sherman Anti-Trust Act can be applied to specific overly-aggressive corporations. It's false to portray all banks and corporations as bad.

I think after reading this thread I have found my first ever group of people I want to block and never hear from again
Holy shit you guys

All the wah wah wah about "well its not cause there are women avatars, its WHY they were put in"
Who honestly should give a shit...really...is this honestly the absolute PINNACLE of a first world problem

I worked for EA, they want money and will do WHATEVER they can to make it, and yet you all seem affronted.
"Historical accuracy blah blah blah"...Once again...its EA...and once again....its a game.

Wouldn't have thought I';d say this.....but I agree with EA, have an issue with it, move onto to something else.

Hey, I have a solution, a really good one. Don't call it's a WW2 game. Sorry dude, no one here wants to run around during combat in a WW2 themed game and have weird shit going on. Ok? It's simple. Apparently that's extremely super-duper hard for you to comprehend and understand, along with others. I've seen some of the screen grabs. They will literally have black women with afro's running around in German uniforms now .... and no problem with women but ... in German uniforms?

I'm a huge military buff. I've never .... ever ... seen a black woman in a german uniform. And don't act all butt hurt and surprised that people are upset about this.

Don't call it a WW2 game and everyone would be happy. I think even you could agree that there is a solution to the problem.

What they are releasing is some sort of historically inaccurate fantasy video game. That's what people are upset about. Really upset about.

And you're going to find yourself seriously shunned and never taken serious here if you 'support' EA. They have single handily destroyed game after game after game. Should I mentioned they were voted the absolute worst company for 2 or 3 years?

But, you support them .... yeah, ok.

like this
I've seen some of the screen grabs. They will literally have black women with afro's running around in German uniforms now .... and no problem with women but ... in German uniforms?

I'm a huge military buff. I've never .... ever ... seen a black woman in a german uniform. And don't act all butt hurt and surprised that people are upset about this.
Well, there was this one village in Mongolia that had black resistantce voodoo priestess that faught against the Russians when they were occupying Panama by throwing sharpened swastikas, so, check mate.

This is not [F]laccid_I'm_easily_triggered_OCP.

Wow... because I'm not ok with someone wanting a rape DLC... that's where you jump to. I hear behind bars the likely hood of you finding your rape DLC is DRAMATICALLY increased. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Holy shit you guys

This needs to be submitted to the freaking members community police stations to have them watched a bit more closely if you ask me.

Maybe you people shouldn't immediately assume the worst. Battlefield rape is a serious issue that should be addressed properly. Ignoring the real life issue because you don't want to admit that rape occurs does not make you a good person. You are a bad person.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/...ld-to-ignore-afghan-allies-abuse-of-boys.html

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation...d-for-interfering-in-child-assault-by-afghan/

And the desire to play these things out I would call sick and question your motives and really not want to associate with a person that wanted to experience the 'thrill' of that sort of game play. Maybe it's revisionist. There are some aspects of war we shouldn't revisit. For instance if you're playing the other side do you expect to be able to take part in the attempted genocide of a segment of your society?

And the desire to play these things out I would call sick and question your motives and really not want to associate with a person that wanted to experience the 'thrill' of that sort of game play. Maybe it's revisionist. There are some aspects of war we shouldn't revisit. For instance if you're playing the other side do you expect to be able to take part in the attempted genocide of a segment of your society?
rape > murder, ban FPS games now!

Book Burner.

Never has a game increased its base because of inclusionary PC politics.

So? Does that mean you have to get all bent out of shape because of it? Like the man said, if you don't like it then don't buy it. But for people to go on a holy crusade against the game is plain overreaction.

So? Does that mean you have to get all bent out of shape because of it? Like the man said, if you don't like it then don't buy it. But for people to go on a holy crusade against the game is plain overreaction.

"Holy Crusade"

Drama Queen

Laissez faire refers to minimal government intervention in the practices of private business. It applies to small, medium and even large corporations. The Sherman Anti-Trust Act can be applied to specific overly-aggressive corporations. It's false to portray all banks and corporations as bad.

I never brought morality into this. Morality is subjective, and easily manipulated.

Simply put, Capitalism is giving way to corporatism. With that the SWOT (to borrow a simplistic diagram) will change, it is up to the nation(s) to decide if this is a system to accept or forcibly change.

If I saw the cover of the game without someone telling me it was a Battlefield game, I may have not guessed it..... would have thought it was some steampunk shooter with a female lead.

Funny when progressives are outraged they are allowed to vocally protest but when non-progressives do so than they are criticized. Hypocrisy noted. The backlash has started; get used to it...
What backlash? The usual whining, one side or the other, followed by whiners on either side voting with their wallets- usually ending in them buy the game.

It's not the left vs. right b.s. that extremists wish to make it if you just let it go.

IMO Battlefield video games are about as historically accurate as Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare. Just my 0.02c.

If you want historical accuracy, watch a WW2 documentary.

That's just a lame excuse. Earlier Call of Duty games at least tried to get the setting right. It wasn't perfect, but it did a decent job of looking correct for the period. When it comes to the firearm stuff, most games are worse than CoD are. Balance is sometimes an issue but at least the animations for specific weapons is usually spot on in CoD games. Battlefield has a severely mixed history with this. The point is, if you are making a period piece it's important to get the major stuff right. IF you don't, it doesn't work nearly as well. I've already pointed out how fucked up BLOPS II was in this regard. It showed a SPAS-12 and newer AR variants with picatinny rails decades before these things existed. Shit like that breaks immersion for me. The CoD single player experience is already bad enough because the stories are ridiculous. Although, BLOPS II was better than most in this regard.

Does discussion offend you or something? Look, I had no intention of buying Battlefield V anyway. That doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't discuss the game or the issues I have with it. Sometimes these criticisms get back to the developers which is actually helpful for them. Even if it isn't, sometimes insights help other people who may be on the fence one way or another. And again, this being a game isn't a good catch all excuse. Once more, if its a period piece its important to get things right. It doesn't have to be 100% perfect every time but things should look and feel right if you want the game to be immersive. How hard is this to understand? Gun errors are one thing, but glaringly obvious flaws are much more egregious.

It isn't about being "offended." I don't care that EA screwed this up. I won't buy it for a number of reasons. However, I can still express my thoughts about how EA screwed up as I see it. For some reason, discussion about this issue seems to trigger some people and they can't seem to grasp that the complaint about women being in the game can be about something other than being sexist or being offended. Let me put it another way. If I order a steak at some place and I ask for a medium rare steak and it comes out looking like an overcooked piece of charcoal, I'm not complaining about steak in general or saying I hate steak. I'm simply saying that it came out overcooked and it wasn't done the way I had asked. People making this about sexism or being offended is akin to the waiter in the example telling everyone that I hate steak because my steak was cooked wrong. It simply isn't true.

Last edited:
It isn't about being "offended." I don't care that EA screwed this up. I won't buy it for a number of reasons. However, I can still express my thoughts about how EA screwed up as I see it. For some reason, discussion about this issue seems to trigger some people and they can't seem to grasp that the complaint about women being in the game can be about something other than being sexist or being offended. Let me put it another way. If I order a steak at some place and I ask for a medium rare steak and it comes out looking like an overcooked piece of charcoal, I'm not complaining about steak in general or saying I hate steak. I'm simply saying that it came out overcooked and it wasn't done the way I had asked. People making this about sexism or being offended is akin to the waiter in the example telling everyone that I hate steak because my steak was cooked wrong. It simply isn't true.

I wasn't aware that EA was making made to order games. Where do we sign up for that service? I mean... I could think of some interesting games involving the likeness of some ladies in the film industry that I would play way way too much.

I understand the point you're trying to make here. May I suggest a different example.

When you want to buy a corvette, you have specific expectations on what a Corvette should be and have a history to base that on. If Chevy comes along and says they are making a new corvette based on the 1978 model you would have some expectation of what it will be. Lets say you were offered a chance to pre order the corvette site unseen. Then you see press footage that it's going to be an all wheel drive car.

As a Corvette purist you have a real issue to talk about now. You maybe hate the idea of a four wheel drive car feeling that belongs to soccer moms and off roaders or wrx cars.

Just an example mind you.

Back