EA, Motive and Lucasfilm Announce Star Wars: Squadrons

how many of us actually have VR? I mean if i could spare the loot i'd def be in there but when you're talking $1000 plus prob another $750 on the latest and greatest gpu just to have access to just the current games... idk. then you have the fact that they're coming out w/ new upgraded tech every year... hey i'd like to have one of these too but...

**warning: dude in the vid's a little fruity.

Last edited:
how many of us actually have VR? I mean if i could spare the loot i'd def be in there but when you're talking $1000

Try $300.

And VR isn't a requirement for this game.

Not sure what that video of nutjob with wraparound racing cockpit has to do with anything.

Not sure what that video of nutjob with wraparound racing cockpit has to do with anything.
did you watch any of the vid? it's more than just a triple monitor cockpit... there's hq motion, and then they sample the "ultimate vr" setup towards the end.

and yes he's a nutjob but i warned ya'! :dead:

valve index.png

how many of us actually have VR? I mean if i could spare the loot i'd def be in there but when you're talking $1000 plus prob another $750 on the latest and greatest gpu just to have access to just the current games... idk. then you have the fact that they're coming out w/ new upgraded tech every year... hey i'd like to have one of these too but...

**warning: dude in the vid's a little fruity.

It’s not required and millions have dedicated PC VR sets. They sell somewhere around 300k/quarter iirc.

old vr tech?.... no thanks.

It's really not. Sure, the Index is better. However, you might not actually like the medium, or have the space for the kind of setup it demands. I just got the Rift S, it's rather amazing. I'm so impressed with it, that I'm probably going to invest in the Index 2.0 when that's announced. I'm just limited in space currently. So, the Rift S is perfect for my needs.

Shiiiet! After they dropped the ball on Punkbuster bans on BF4 with no recourse for legit gamers, thus affecting me, you bet your last shirt I'd rather be run over by a truck than spend one more penny on any EA title. EA is beyond redemption AFAIC.

Will this be on rails like a roller coaster or free form flying like the original x wing series?
I saw that it has HOTAS support as well, so i would guess Free Form flying.

This was pretty much how it went for me...

Apparently Disney/Lucasfilm scolded EA pretty harshly over the mess that was the Battlefront 2 micro-transactions. It worked out well for Jedi: Fallen Order, and hopefully for Star Wars games moving forward.

I am sure EA is going is going to lock VR to the PS4 for a year or so, with the ability to unlock it on PC via loot boxes.

why can't they just remaster X-wing and Tie fighter already...all they need to do is that, tweak a couple of things and they will rake in $$$$

There's a mod in progress called X-Wing Virtual Machine (XWVM) that uses the 93' assets but the flight engine's in Unity. They recently posted a VR support update.

I don't have a lot of hope for Squadrons- but am fairly surprised they're sticking with First Person. That's a non-starter for a lot of people. (but not for sim-hounds like me)

I have been waiting a quarter century for a worthy successor to Tie Fighter. I am hopeful, but have been disappointed in the past by other Star Wars flight games.

The one thing that made me somewhat hopeful is the fact that the cockpits seem to have the full complement of sensors, weapons, shields, power, throttle, etc. They will also support HOTAS, so maybe they are doing it right.

Please don't suck...

why can't they just remaster X-wing and Tie fighter already...all they need to do is that, tweak a couple of things and they will rake in $$$$

Because X-Wing vs Tie Fighter has no real story in-game and is quite frankly quite boring.

A remaster of "X-Wing collectors CD-ROM" or the original "Tie Fighter"....se that would pique my interest.

If it was MP only I'd see that, but even for a game from EA that seems like a stretch. With a campaign (even if crappy) that seems odd. Call me skeptical but there has to be some catch to it.
Disney has them by the balls, and they are squeezing.

Loot boxes
Maybe but on their Twitter they made it clear that 100% of the content could be earned with gameplay alone. This may have more to do with Disney threatening to pull their game rights back and start doing it in-house after EA’s previously bad showings. Disney has repeatedly pulled licensing and even paid fines for breaching contracts because they would weather kill a product than let it tarnish their image.

Loot boxes
They have already announced that there will be zero microtranactions in this game just like they did with Fallen order.

"While EA is officially announcing the game today, the company is holding back the first gameplay footage until EA Play 2020 on June 18. Squadrons is developed by Motive Studios in association with Lucasfilm, and it will feature a dedicated single-player mode, and multiple multiplayer modes with no microtransactions."
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-squadrons-is-a-40-dogfighting-game-with-/1100-6478468/

If it was MP only I'd see that, but even for a game from EA that seems like a stretch. With a campaign (even if crappy) that seems odd. Call me skeptical but there has to be some catch to it.
I'm betting DLC for other starwars related ships, Bwing, etc. I thought the list of flyable ships was pretty limited based on the gameplay trailer.

I'm betting DLC for other starwars related ships, Bwing, etc. I thought the list of flyable ships was pretty limited based on the gameplay trailer.
I’m thinking something like that or maybe they have some plans for streaming and add revenue?

Looks damn good. VR support, functional cockpit instrumentation, lots of lasers.

This is what Star Citizen developers will be playing instead of working on Star Citizen.

Last edited:
Looks damn good. VR support, functional cockpit instrumentation, lots of lasers.

This is what Star Citizen developers will be playing instead of working on Star Citizen.

Yeah...... I spent too much time looking at VR tech yesterday. Have the PC to run it with ease but the headsets are more expensive than I thought they would be. Still gonna need one, between this and Elite Dangerous my family is gonna miss me.

Yeah...... I spent too much time looking at VR tech yesterday. Have the PC to run it with ease but the headsets are more expensive than I thought they would be. Still gonna need one, between this and Elite Dangerous my family is gonna miss me.
if you dont care to much about the best roomscale experience and more about the sit down headset only one look at the Odyssey+ its usually alot cheaper than the oculus ones but the tracking isn't nearly as good for roomscale, works great for sitdown games like Elite Dangerous. Only issue is I have no idea if they are stocked anymore or not lol

Right now, I think the Rift S is the best middle ground headset. I live in a small barracks room currently for the next 6 months. It works. I'm playing Half Life Alyx and it works rather well.

Odyssey+ is what I've been preaching and recommending for like a year now since it was price/performance king, because up until two months ago you could get one used for $200-250 and new for $250-300. At the moment prices are up across the board on everything due to C-19 domino effect. Hopefully prices will settle back down.

Oculus Rift S is the other strong contender I'd consider. You don't need $1000+ Valve Index to have a good time, you're still getting the same experience on the lower cost HMDs, and it's mostly minor improvements you'd be spending 200% more for to get another 10% in FOV, controller fidelity, better room tracking etc.

Last edited:
Odyssey+ is what I've been preaching and recommending for like a year now since it was price/performance king, because up until two months ago you could get one used for $200-250 and new for $250-300. At the moment prices are up across the board on everything due to C-19 domino effect. Hopefully prices will settle back down.

Oculus Rift S is the other strong contender I'd consider. You don't need $1000+ Valve Index to have a good time, you're still getting the same experience on the lower cost HMDs, and it's mostly minor variations you'd be spending 200% more for to get another 10% in FOV, controllers, room tracking etc.
My eyes are crap but the Rift S looks solid, just have to actually find one. Looking at the .ca sites everything is “Out of Stock”. Gonna be a tough sell to the wife though.

Back