EA may be looking to put its games back on Steam

Man, I'm not good at being a pundit of the game industry, so I have no idea what this means. I just hope it extends Steam's relevance for another decade at least. 2 reasons why I'm a Steam loyalist:

1) Gaben. I don't like or agree with everything he does, but he's way better than the corporate suits at EA and Blizzard, and Tim "China Doll" Sweeney.

2) Steam is a damn good launcher, all my games are on it, and it has the best servers.

I like GOG as a company but the servers and platform are just worse by a long shot.

You used an anecdotal experience of searching for a game in an attempt to prove that more games is bad and then complained about someone countering with their own. While the two games you mentioned aren't anything that I would be interested in they don't look like shovelware so the only thing you've shown is that there's games you don't like and that some will pop up in a generic search.

That was someone else with the bird game although it was a good example of shovelware. And why would anyone in the US want a non-English generic Chinese game when looking up new MMO releases?

That was someone else with the bird game although it was a good example of shovelware. And why would anyone in the US want a non-English generic Chinese game when looking up new MMO releases?

You're right that post about the bird game was someone else, my bad. You did agree with them and then call someone out for basically saying they had a different experience though.

From a glance I still don't think either example looks like shovelware which doesn't say much for your claim of 100s of pages of shovelware.

There's plenty of people living in the US that are native Chinese speakers not to mention that Steam is an international store, niche =/= shovelware.

Source:

Apex Legends developer says Origin will not launch when the game is played through Steam. It will launch directly through Steam, but you will be prompted to login to your Origin account the first time to link your Steam account. Whether or not that is true of other EA games is unknown at this point.

If steam shutting down would force them to go back to doing games, then i might be for it. (As long as i can still use the stuff i bought...lol)

EA has finally started bringing titles over to Steam, kicking off along side a sale today.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/electronicarts?snr=1_4_4__118

Games available today include:
  • Burnout Paradise Remastered
  • Crysis 3
  • Dragon Age 2
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • Fe
  • Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
  • Need for Speed (2017)
  • Need for Speed: Heat
  • Need for Speed: Rivals
  • Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville
  • Sea of Solitude
  • Unravel
  • Unravel 2
EA Access will also be made available on Steam in the near future. The Battlefield games will be coming next Thursday (June 11).

Last edited:
It looks like they're going to require Origin just like Ubi requires Uplay for games bought on Steam.

It seems to me like buying these games on Steam would just be adding another layer of drm but I suppose it would be useful for those that want all of their games in the same library list.

Sweet!
Origin is a steaming turd. But I like battlefield enough to endure it.
Every time they ask me for my opinion on Origin, it's 1 star across the board and in the comment box "crashes all the time, no easy way to back up my games, constant Origin is offline glitches and issues logging in. Just sell your games on Steam and fire everyone who made this shitty software"
Apparently they got my message.

Edit. On a more interesting note, could this be the beginning of ea improving Linux support?

Mirror's Edge Catalyst for $10 is a good deal. Game looked amazing, but wasn't great. Not bad either. Fun and pretty average with some good eye candy.

is there a cost for using these services?
EA Access is a subscription service like Xbox Game Pass for PC. You can still always buy the games for a one-time cost, as always.
Sweet!
Origin is a steaming turd. But I like battlefield enough to endure it.
Every time they ask me for my opinion on Origin, it's 1 star across the board and in the comment box "crashes all the time, no easy way to back up my games, constant Origin is offline glitches and issues logging in. Just sell your games on Steam and fire everyone who made this shitty software"
Apparently they got my message.

Edit. On a more interesting note, could this be the beginning of ea improving Linux support?
I like Origin's game library more than Steam's. The Origin Store is still garbage, though. It always locks up on me when simply trying to browse around. I really wish infinitely loading pages would die.

I like Origin well enough, though I was initially opposed to it for the same reason many other people were. I'm very much against the multiple launchers we have today. Having said that, I rarely play anything on Origin because I'm not a huge fan of most EA games.

So you have to rebuy the games on Steam if you want them in your Steam library?
This would be really good for Battlefield games with dwindling populations.

Last edited:
So you have to rebuy the games on Steam if you want them in your Steam library?
This would be really good for Battlefield games with dwindling populations.
LOL, no. Just use add non steam game option in the steam launcher ;).

I know you can do that but sometimes it's kinda wonky with Steam.
I'm going to download Dragon Age Inquisition and see how it goes and place in in the same
Steam apps common folder see how it launches same folder as Jedi Fallen Order.

Last edited:
There is no way to link EA games with the Steam client I just read a thread that EA isn't going to issue Steam keys if you already own the game.
I'll buy Battlefield 2021 when that comes out too bad though would be great if they did the same thing Bungie did with Destiny.

I know you can do that but sometimes it's kinda wonky with Steam.
I'm going to download Dragon Age Inquisition and see how it goes and place in in the same
Steam apps common folder see how it launches same folder as Jedi Fallen Order.
None of the EA games except Command & Conquer Remastered have Steam Achievements, so no reason to rebuy anyway ;)

They brought Jedi: Fallen Order to Steam and I bought my first EA game on PC (I had purchased Battlefields for my dad on Xbox) since they left for greener pastures by going Origin exclusive.

One thing, which may just have been a bug, I had to uninstall the game from Origin even after "uninstalling" it from Steam after I was done playing.

So I see this tread, did not buy an EA game since SPORE, still decide to check the store out, perhaps break the embargo.

Did not buy another EA game, but Project Cars 2 - 9.99... sold few TF2 crates, and it is in my backlog now. :D

Either way, thanks for posting as I would have missed this sale otherwise.

I noticed that Dragon Age 2 re-entered both my Steam and Origin libraries randomly this morning. That's after having a blank icon and looking like abandonware for years. It even still has an entry in Steam listed as "Dragon Age II (Retired)." I wonder if the first game will port over to Origin in the same way. I never owned DA2 on Origin until this morning.

I noticed that Dragon Age 2 re-entered both my Steam and Origin libraries randomly this morning. That's after having a blank icon and looking like abandonware for years. It even still has an entry in Steam listed as "Dragon Age II (Retired)." I wonder if the first game will port over to Origin in the same way. I never owned DA2 on Origin until this morning.
Don't know about games purchased that were removed from Steam, but apparently buying the games again on Steam will supersede your game purchase on Origin.

I have more time in Origin the past number of years as that is where Battlefield has been. If BF6 isn't crap and I get it, I may consider getting it on Steam. Just hope they bring back something like battlelog as that matters more than the client to me. Battlelog like thing that doesn't launch the full game and doesn't run in a browser would be a win win.

Last edited:
Crazy that it's almost 7 yrs since BF4.

If I buy BF4 on Steam, I'm wondering if:

- will it download through Steam or launch Origin and I'll have to remember my Origin password (too lazy for that)

- can I play BF4 with steam friends - join their games and they join mine - or am I stuck with Origin friendlist (which I will never use)

Last edited:
I uninstalled Hardline like 2-3 years ago because nobody was playing at all on the servers.
People on Steam are asking if the servers are populated again it's going to take a few days or a weekend.

Seems people are picking up BFV and Battlefront 2 on Steam if you goto the list view.

Crazy that it's almost 7 yrs since BF4.

If I buy BF4 on Steam, I'm wondering if:

- will it download through Steam or launch Origin and I'll have to remember my Origin password (too lazy for that)

- can I play BF4 with steam friends - join their games and they join mine - or am I stuck with Origin friendlist (which I will never use)
It will download through Steam and you have to log in to your Origin account the first time you launch the game to link it with Steam. Every subsequent launch of the game won't require you to log in separately to Origin. You can take advantage of the friends feature in Steam as long as that is where you are launching the game. However, I am pretty sure the in-game friends feature is tied to Origin still.

They finally came to their senses. I wonder if Epic had anything to do with it. :D This is great, because I can finally complete a couple of series collections that I had the first games, but couldn't get the last one except on Origin. I just grabbed Mass Effect 3, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, and will grab the third Dead Space if it shows up. I already had most of these in Origin, but I don't keep Origin installed on my PC. Now I can just play these if I feel like it, and not install and log back into Origin (now that the account is linked). Nice!

They finally came to their senses. I wonder if Epic had anything to do with it. :D This is great, because I can finally complete a couple of series collections that I had the first games, but couldn't get the last one except on Origin. I just grabbed Mass Effect 3, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, and will grab the third Dead Space if it shows up. I already had most of these in Origin, but I don't keep Origin installed on my PC. Now I can just play these if I feel like it, and not install and log back into Origin (now that the account is linked). Nice!

You still need Origin like Ubisoft games still require Uplay.

Added BF4 this morning. Probably won't ever use it since Battlefield has the web browser interface, but it's sill nice that it's in Steam

Added BF4 this morning. Probably won't ever use it since Battlefield has the web browser interface, but it's sill nice that it's in Steam
actually they replaced that like 2 years ago. Its all in game now. battlelog is dead.

Back