EA may be looking to put its games back on Steam

Origin is better than Steam IMO. No shitware to comb through and it's a simple and effective design. EA should stick with it and keep improving on it. Steam is on a long term death spiral, most people I know have abandoned it or barely use it now.

Gven that Origin mostly serves as a storefront for EA's trash games, most of what it offers is half baked shitware anyway.

To all those complaining about Steams's "shoverlware", no one is forcing you to purchase any of it. It's really no different then Google ads; based on past purchases & views it tries to highlight other games you might like. And it's not their fault the other companies insist on pushing crap titles to try and make a buck; Steam just offers them a storefront where they can expose their games to users, something I note they *can't* do on closed launchers (Uplay/Origin). Granted, 90%+ of those titles are crap, but there's a few good ones that would never see the light of day if Steam didn't offer exposure.

The complaint is asinine and overreach by people looking for reasons to hate steam. How the presence of shovelware somehow detracts from the overall intuitiveness and features of steam is baffling.

The complaint is asinine and overreach by people looking for reasons to hate steam. How the presence of shovelware somehow detracts from the overall intuitiveness and features of steam is baffling.

Easy. I type in "flight sim" in the product search and it takes me shifting through three pages to find some of the best flight sims currently available. First few pages are filled with garbage shovelware. Absolute failure on Steam's search algorithm.

As of now it took me three pages to find IL-2. But I found a lot of garbage shovelware before it:

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=flight+simulator

Yeah, a fucking bird simulator with incomplete artwork came before proper flight sims. Real good job Valve.

ss_6bb60cd4c0ce62434a21abffbfec5fc4a8ad854a.jpg

Attachments

• ss_6bb60cd4c0ce62434a21abffbfec5fc4a8ad854a.jpg
    ss_6bb60cd4c0ce62434a21abffbfec5fc4a8ad854a.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 0
Easy. I type in "flight sim" in the product search and it takes me shifting through three pages to find some of the best flight sims currently available. First few pages are filled with garbage shovelware. Absolute failure on Steam's search algorithm.

I don't go randomly browsing or searching for games on steam, and I generally know what I want to find so this is a complete non-issue for me (and I suspect for many others as well). And for shits and giggles go type "flight sim" on Origin, your experience isn't going to be any better in terms of finding anything at all.

I don't go randomly browsing or searching for games on steam, and I generally know what I want to find so this is a complete non-issue for me (and I suspect for many others as well). And for shits and giggles go type "flight sim" on Origin, your experience isn't going to be any better in terms of finding anything at all.

Neither do I because of the above. If they fixed that maybe that would change. Origin won't have any because they don't sell flight sims (aside from some DCS stuff, but I think they no longer do) so the comparison doesn't make sense. Example, Walmart's general disorganization such as products on the floor, pricing labels incorrectly placed, wrong product in the wrong areas can certainly hinder the shopping experience. That isn't excused because Best Buy doesn't happen to be in the business of selling fishing rods, shotguns or some other type outdoor product Best Buy doesn't stock.

Likewise, I'd rather have truthful search results (0 flight sims) than 100 results of which 90 are false. Guess which gets me the information I need quicker?

Guess which gets me the information I need quicker?

Google search followed by going directly to the store page for the game in question? You are trying awfully hard to nitpick here. Using a physical store analogy makes even less sense considering that there are no alternative methods for finding what you want other than methodically wasting time trawling through the store. The point of my facetious example is that at least there is an offering on steam (which are not really that hard to find), as opposed to nothing but EA's trash games on origin.

Origin doesn't have 100 pages of shovelware to comb through.

Sometimes when I am reading through the comments of these threads discussing game platforms, I feel like the "Only Steam" people here have Stockholm Syndrome.

On topic: I would really like it if, when EA starts allowing newer games on Steam, that they also release more games on GOG. Dead Space and Dragon Age: Origins (both excellent titles, BTW) are the newest EA titles there, I think...

Google search followed by going directly to the store page for the game in question? You are trying awfully hard to nitpick here. Using a physical store analogy makes even less sense considering that there are no alternative methods for finding what you want other than methodically wasting time trawling through the store. The point of my facetious example is that at least there is an offering on steam (which are not really that hard to find), as opposed to nothing but EA's trash games on origin.

Google search will bring up all kinds of things, from games not for sale any longer, to youtube videos, to reviews, Wikipedia to industrial flight simulators and more. It isn't the same as trying to figure out what is for sale on Steam or another digital storefront. Ironically you're the one nitpicking. Your stance is if there is an issue that doesn't affect you personally then it is irrelevant. You can use the same logic for customer reviews or cloud saves. Not everyone uses them but that doesn't mean they're irrelevant and shouldn't be improved if there are issues with them.

Very interesting. Would like to see how this pans out. EA did try to make Origin competitive way back when then threw in the towel for 3rd parties.

Valve probably cut a deal with EA for lower fees to come back to Steam. Valve might just be feeling the heat, and competition can be good.

Google search will bring up all kinds of things, from games not for sale any longer, to youtube videos, to reviews, Wikipedia to industrial flight simulators and more. It isn't the same as trying to figure out what is for sale on Steam or another digital storefront. Ironically you're the one nitpicking. Your stance is if there is an issue that doesn't affect you personally then it is irrelevant. You can use the same logic for customer reviews or cloud saves. Not everyone uses them but that doesn't mean they're irrelevant and shouldn't be improved if there are issues with them.

Very interesting. Would like to see how this pans out. EA did try to make Origin competitive way back when then threw in the towel for 3rd parties.

Valve probably cut a deal with EA for lower fees to come back to Steam. Valve might just be feeling the heat, and competition can be good.

I believe you can hide indie/early access games and the like in the Steam store.

Origin doesn't have 100 pages of shovelware to comb through.

Because it's a closed system; if everyone had access to Origin, you'd end up with the same exact problem.

And I never use the search feature in Steam, but I'm pretty sure there's a way to search by "highest rated".

Reactions: Auer
like this
I had no major issues with Origin, but ever since Anthem tanked I've been on Steam and Bnet.

TBH, I'd probably pay a little more attention to EA games if they were on Steam..

Personally I like browsing around the vastness that is Steam. Every now and then I come across some gems, usually for not much $$$. Recently picked up Heretic for $4.99 haha.

All depends on where your most played titles reside I guess. ATM Epic and Origin has nothing I play so I simply dont have them at all.

There's been a lot of manufactured hate for Steam since Epic hit the scene, it feels weird defending Steam but BS is BS. Too many games, too many features, 30% is too much(even though it's a bargain compared to all previous distribution methods and very few publishers actually pay 30%), LMFAO. If EA who already has an established digital distribution service of their own puts their games back on Steam that pretty much proves that Steam isn't a bad deal for publishers, if there's one thing EA has plenty of it's bean counters

With that said if it's like Ubi games where Uplay still gets launched I'd only get the Steam version if it was cheaper, no need for a launcher in my launcher and Origin is at least serviceable. Of course with Bioware basically dead I don't see myself buying any future EA games at this point.

There's been a lot of manufactured hate for Steam since Epic hit the scene, it feels weird defending Steam but BS is BS. Too many games, too many features, 30% is too much(even though it's a bargain compared to all previous distribution methods and very few publishers actually pay 30%), LMFAO. If EA who already has an established digital distribution service of their own puts their games back on Steam that pretty much proves that Steam isn't a bad deal for publishers, if there's one thing EA has plenty of it's bean counters

With that said if it's like Ubi games where Uplay still gets launched I'd only get the Steam version if it was cheaper, no need for a launcher in my launcher and Origin is at least serviceable. Of course with Bioware basically dead I don't see myself buying any future EA games at this point.

Well I think this can be mutually beneficial. Valve is loosing AAA games like crazy. EA has had crap release after crap release for a few major titles, plus their micro transaction schemes which finally reached the attention of law makers. Valve probably cut them a good deal (better than most other developers) on fees because they need more high profile games and EA can use some good publicity. Seems like it can work out well for both parties. Likewise, if someone big like EA folds it can have a secondary affect of making other AAA developers question their own plans for launching their own client which can be to Valve's advantage.

I'm not sure they've been "losing AAA's like crazy" - there are a handful but the vast majority are still on Steam. I'm not sure EA has too many highly in demand titles anymore - I mean their back catalogue is one thing , but they've not exactly had a lot of high profile successes. Anthem was a faceplant, Battlefield was "meh" even in its oversaturated genre, etc... so I can't see there really a particular current or upcoming game that Valve thinks they "gotta have" from EA's setup. A theoretical Star Wars title (provided EA doesnt' wreck it with microtransactions like they did the last one - and it isn't looking good!), a title from Bioware (with the very good possibility EA has sucked the life out of that studio), and Apex Legends (an admittedly decent battle royale game, encumbered by shitty monetization) can't be enough for Valve to really demand EA as a future partner.

If anything I think EA could use better exposure via Steam and to be on the "good guy's side" for once, but Valve's benefit in the whole thing (barring one of those games being a break out hit) is chipping away at the "everyone has an incompatible launcher platform store" setup. That is a long term goal worth it in my mind and I'm happy for anything that works to that end.

Well I think this can be mutually beneficial. Valve is loosing AAA games like crazy. EA has had crap release after crap release for a few major titles, plus their micro transaction schemes which finally reached the attention of law makers. Valve probably cut them a good deal (better than most other developers) on fees because they need more high profile games and EA can use some good publicity. Seems like it can work out well for both parties. Likewise, if someone big like EA folds it can have a secondary affect of making other AAA developers question their own plans for launching their own client which can be to Valve's advantage.

It's definitely mutually beneficial and I'm sure they negotiated a lower rate but Steam always does for a publisher or game they know will sell in volume, the 30% figure that gets thrown around is really only for games that won't sell in numbers but still use the resources Valve makes available to publishers(which are a big help for smaller studios).

I also don't see them losing(or loosing :D) AAAs like crazy. A few of the largest publishers have created their own DD services and Epic has paid handsomely for a couple of timed exclusives which they have said themselves isn't sustainable but Steam is still the big dog and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I'm not sure EA has too many highly in demand titles anymore

EA still has the FIFA series of games which according to wikipedia is good for a sales of over 260 million to date. Respawn is crancking out some good games. I'm sure that bioware also still has some good games in them if they get better leadership and they let them do what they do best.

I'm sure that bioware also still has some good games in them if they get better leadership and they let them do what they do best.
Most of the top talent left the studio and any remaining are most likely there to keep getting a paycheck. It's too bad they fucked up both Dead Space and Mass Effect game franchises. The early games were great, but the latter ones fell short.

Yes your anecdotal experience just ends the debate. :confused:

And your anecdotal experience does?

Honestly you're describing about the worst way to find random games in a genre and I see nothing wrong with a bird flight sim coming up when you search for flight sims. If I wanted to find a flight sim and didn't already know what one I wanted I would look online for reviews and discussions to figure out which one(s) I wanted and then figure out the best place to get it based on price, DRM, dev support, and availability.

In any case I expect to see a bunch of stuff I'm not interested in if I browse or do a generic search on any game store and I don't see how more options that can be ignored is bad unless you're talking about straight up asset flip garbage which Steam has already cracked down on. Also if you are browsing a store Steam makes it the easiest to access reviews, news, and discussions about a game, GOG is the second best though I'm not sure how all that works using their client.

And your anecdotal experience does?

Except I didn't give any anecdotal experience for Steam, just stated facts about it being bloated with shovelware--unless you're trying to claim otherwise. But since we're going on anecdotal experiences, I'll post my quick and dirty one down below.

Honestly you're describing about the worst way to find random games in a genre and I see nothing wrong with a bird flight sim coming up when you search for flight sims. If I wanted to find a flight sim and didn't already know what one I wanted I would look online for reviews and discussions to figure out which one(s) I wanted and then figure out the best place to get it based on price, DRM, dev support, and availability.

In any case I expect to see a bunch of stuff I'm not interested in if I browse or do a generic search on any game store and I don't see how more options that can be ignored is bad unless you're talking about straight up asset flip garbage which Steam has already cracked down on. Also if you are browsing a store Steam makes it the easiest to access reviews, news, and discussions about a game, GOG is the second best though I'm not sure how all that works using their client.

Sometimes you don't know exactly what you want and pick a category (e.g. MMORPG) and it lists a ton of random games including ones fully in Chinese on the US Steam store:

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&tags=-1&tags=128

Second title in the list:
f7638915ea0ea097b1927863b5b8b8f9.png

Yep, I've always wanted to play Xuan Chen Xian Tu....

I already pre-ordered it on Origin. I have a feeling I will be stuck on that platform. If I read the recent articles correctly, anything you already bought on Origin remains on Origin with no ability to port it to Steam. If they end up shuttering Origin, I think I might just launch into a Postal Murder frenzy. Granted there's nothing most of us can do with these shitty games as a service platforms where you never truly own anything. Part of the entire reason why I have an offline server with a shitload of TB of storage.

I have had about enough with the platform swapping shit, the streaming services for video content... Jesus. We don't own anything anymore...

I did the same this with Rage 2 like 6 months ago I bought the game twice because I wanted the hassle free Steam version.

Options are good, but I agree with the sentiment. Regardless, I have sworn off of new EA games until they can prove to me that they can allow their studios to make a good game again with passion. Anthem was the last straw for me after putting up with their shit for too long.

Not sure why people are excited to have it on steam. You will still need to install origin to play the game. It is the same thing with Ubisoft/Rockstar games......

Not sure why people are excited to have it on steam. You will still need to install origin to play the game. It is the same thing with Ubisoft/Rockstar games......

Steam gift cards can be used for EA games now. Gifting system is a bit better (or I think it is). Will it revert to Origin friends list or Steam? Some advantages but in general, I'd personally go with just Origin assuming price was the same.

At the end of the day, thousands of people just care about having their game on Steam even if it requires a different launcher.

Except I didn't give any anecdotal experience for Steam, just stated facts about it being bloated with shovelware--unless you're trying to claim otherwise. But since we're going on anecdotal experiences, I'll post my quick and dirty one down below.

Sometimes you don't know exactly what you want and pick a category (e.g. MMORPG) and it lists a ton of random games including ones fully in Chinese on the US Steam store:

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&tags=-1&tags=128

Second title in the list:
View attachment 195976

Yep, I've always wanted to play Xuan Chen Xian Tu....

You used an anecdotal experience of searching for a game in an attempt to prove that more games is bad and then complained about someone countering with their own. While the two games you mentioned aren't anything that I would be interested in they don't look like shovelware so the only thing you've shown is that there's games you don't like and that some will pop up in a generic search.

Back