EA is laying off 6 percent of its workers

erek

[H]F Junkie
:(

“EA, which publishes popular games like The Sims and Madden NFL, laid off around 200 Apex Legends testers in February over a Zoom call, according to a report from Kotaku. As EA continues to cut back spending, it also announced its plans to shut down Apex Legends Mobile in January and halted development on the mobile Battlefieldtitle it began working on. The company reportedly canceled a new Titanfallsingle-player game as well.”

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/29/23662228/ea-layoffs-workers-employeesrestructuring

That will teach them for working for EA.
We shouldn't take delight in the suffering of other people just trying to make a living. EA isn't some monster selling guns to mercenaries or enabling drug addictions; it's a game publisher. Its worst offenses are likely just making people work crunch hours. Overly formulaic and iterative games aren't crimes against humanity.

Such a bad attitude. Only people this hurts are the ones getting laid off. It doesn't hurt EA one bit.

It sucks for them, but at least they got 2 months pay as severence. That's pretty respectable from EA. Not a bad deal if you're able to find another job fast.

I feel for those being laid off, been there myself during the big recession in 2009. I nearly went bankrupt and would have lost my home.

But I still hate EA. I can't forgive them for scrapping origin back in the late 90s.

Good I hate EA.

That will teach them for working for EA.
c94.png

I don't feel sorry for many people. Well the school shootings I do feel sorry for them. That's it. I remember the years we just had with all the layoff. I do remember them that got the extra $600.00 check a week from the Federal Government! Could not feel sorry for them. I was one of the lucky ones. I got to keep my job putting food on the shelves so you could buy food for your family! Just think if all the food suppliers shut down.

I don't feel sorry for many people. Well the school shootings I do feel sorry for them. That's it. I remember the years we just had with all the layoff. I do remember them that got the extra $600.00 check a week from the Federal Government! Could not feel sorry for them. I was one of the lucky ones. I got to keep my job putting food on the shelves so you could buy food for your family! Just think if all the food suppliers shut down.
Damn that stimulus check for $600 was supposed to come every week? I got robbed!

Laid off 200 apex legends testers?? How many testers did they have for that one game? Seems extremely excessive.
Well they were all listed as Q&A so may not have been "testers" in the sense you may be thinking of. They basically closed down one of their offices with everyone in it. I'm guessing there's quite a few more "testers" at other locations.

Unpopular opinion: Testing a video game should be secondary or supplemental income. Doesn't seem like something you can rely on long term. Shrug.

Also, EA does, indeed, suck.

Unpopular opinion: Testing a video game should be secondary or supplemental income. Doesn't seem like something you can rely on long term. Shrug.

Depends. It really can be a full time job, you test one game and then go onto the next one. There are entire sub contractors that do video game testing. They might be testing some 3rd party studio for a month, then do another game, then maybe help with some massive AAA game, whatever.

Only such a person would utter something like this, who thinks that testing is literally just playing games and having a good time.

I don't like early access games for this exact reason. I will be bored, worn out with dealing with issues to enjoy the finished product. Being a tester would probably kill any desire to play games for fun.
I did QA for a couple games in the distant past.

It is absolutely nothing like playing a game for enjoyment. It is a mind-crushing slog of trying every permutation of things which could happen, and then (oh the fun part!) repeat ad-nauseum trying things which should not happen. Because players do crazy things. Not always intentional, they just play very differently than the designers envisioned. And you have to make sure that path works. And the 5000 other paths someone might choose.

This is barely a pube hair away from saying something like "No one should get paid for working, they should love what they do and get enough just from that". Let me guess, artists shouldn't really be paid either, right? I mean, they're just playing around with lines and colors.
Eff. That. Doubly so for any kind of tester. Professionals, of any job or career, deserve to be paid for what they do, and nothing should be relegated to "oh that's just a part time job, go get a real job." .

I did QA for a couple games in the distant past.

It is absolutely nothing like playing a game for enjoyment. It is a mind-crushing slog of trying every permutation of things which could happen, and then (oh the fun part!) repeat ad-nauseum trying things which should not happen. Because players do crazy things. Not always intentional, they just play very differently than the designers envisioned. And you have to make sure that path works. And the 5000 other paths someone might choose.

agree. did it as well between 2008-2014.. you quickly lose any desire to play games anymore and likely why i don't really play them anymore. but the worst was dealing with companies that just outright ignored QA teams because they just wanted to push the game out the door and move on to something else. the annoying part is seeing the game release, seeing people complain and not being able to say a damn thing about it because of the NDA's.

it's pretty easy to do as a full time job since most are contract workers you'll have 3-4 games your working on at anyone time.

Back