EA, is it true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
before you read, understand i just read this artical, and i am a long time fan of the need for speed series from EA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts#Aggressive_Acts

Im now pondering weather i really want to buy products froma comapany like this, which is to bad because I have played several of there series. command and conquer was mild, never really made it great, if they could have solved the lag problem it coulda replaced Star craft as future MMO strat game. other such minor titles coulda made it big too if it wasnt for them having funding cut and rushed scheduals.

anywho a couple of questions, is it REALLY as bad as wiki says? does anyone have any other articals realating to this topic? have i changed anyones opinion of EA?

thoughts appreciated

I'd say that article is accurate. EA really is a money hungry corporation. They totally ruined the C&C series. After they aquired Westwood, WW still tried to put out a good game, and they always made an effort to put out mod tools for most of their games to encourage community interaction. The games that EA put out after the WW aquisition got little support. They all had 2 or 3 very minor patches and modtools, and then the plug was pulled on all the games. The game websites suddenly stopped showing updates, The WW online service deteriorated, everything just turned to shit basically.

After they deficated on the C&C line, they decided to use it's good name to launch a TOTALLY unrelated game called Generals. Anybody will tell you this game _sucks_.

BF2 needs just over 1GB RAM to run correctly. That figure is convenient isn't it? A big, popular and hyped up game will require many to upgrade to 2GB RAM. In the meanwhile, CoD2, Oblivion and other games will run just fine on 1GB.

Have you ever noticed how many Sims games there are?
The Sims:
Livin' Large
House Party
Hot Date
Vacation
Unleashed
Superstar
Makin' Magic

That's right... One game, seven expansions. Is the original game that damn boring that they have to extend it's life with SEVEN expansions? Apparently so. They kept that franchise alive for a long time with them. And then there is the whole Sims 2 line...

They are not in the business of making good games. They are in the business of making money.

From what I've heard, it's all true (and then some). Some stories I have read/heard about make that seem like paradise.

Shameless Liar said:
After they deficated on the C&C line, they decided to use it's good name to launch a TOTALLY unrelated game called Generals. Anybody will tell you this game _sucks_.

Have you ever noticed how many Sims games there are?
The Sims:
Livin' Large
House Party
Hot Date
Vacation
Unleashed
Superstar
Makin' Magic

They are not in the business of making good games. They are in the business of making money.

ok well i liked generals, i thought it was ok, coulda used a little fixing up (WALLS T.T) but it was still good.

yea the sims, i play that too, although i know 3 others who play it, and our stratigy is, each person buys in intervals of four and well all burn an share.

but yea, theyre just really really pro lets-make-money and con lets-be-nice-people it really pisses me off westwood had done SOOO many awsome things (computer monopoly oh man that game kicked a$$)

Shameless Liar said:

How would they make money if their games sucked?

as the article said, they eliminate the competition, so people buy the games regardless of whether its good, its just the only option. Or they are a fan of an existing series and then see the sharp decline that EA introduced...

Some people are also just stuck on a game and deal with the gradual decrease in quality (Madden)

It's sad, they are destroying the gaming industry with their corporate greed tactics. If they aren't stopped they would keep producing lower quality products and probably ship those jobs out overseas for even cheaper labor for even a cheaper quality.... the price of games keeps climbing, the quality keeps sucking.

EA Sports is the worst. They buy every sports license they can get their dirty hands on and turn great simulation sports games into crappy arcade games so they can expand their audience to cover 2 year olds.

GlimmerMan said:
How would they make money if their games sucked?
People will always rush out and buy the latest film adaptation or the latest installment in a popular franchise. By this point they already have your money, and the game itself is inconsequential. Spending money on development doesn't guarantee sales. Spending money on licences does. EA are far more focused on marketing than they are on games.

This also explains why their games are almost always buggy, and almost never fixed. Pre-release testing and post-release development aren't going to boost sales enough to justify the cost. They get a better return on their investment if they put this money into advertising.

If EA continues to publish good games, I will continue to buy them. It's really that simple. I'm a huge Madden fan, and a huge fan of the Need for Speed series. The latest game in that series IMHO is the best NFS game to date. I was a huge MVP baseball fan, but it looks like there will be no more games in that series as it was the superior baseball game.

People are so quick to trash and demonize EA, but they are in buisness because they make solid games. Some are questionable, but many are solid. If EA's games were really that bad, it's simple that at the prices the games are selling at now, demand would go down significantly. Madden 06 IMHO was the best Madden ever released, although the X360 version was disappointing. Look at the Sims lines of games as well. If it was really that bad, people wouldn't be forking over all that money to buy them, along with the exansion packs. For the longest time, I was incredibly hooked onto The Sims 2.

If EA wants to buy out other companies, that is their right as long as there is a mutual agreement. If EA puts pressure on developers, well, I can't comment, but they need certain products for certain markets at certain times of the year. Look at how all the developers making games for the PS3 are going to get screwed, especially if the PS3 isn't available in quantity during the holiday season. As for their so called hostile buyout of Ubisoft, the only articles i've read have been written by people who have hostile attitudes towards EA, so it's hard to judge what's really going on. There are always 2 sides to every story, and other companies have bought out American developers in what could also be considered a hostile act when using the same standards people are putting towards that incident.

well , most of the stuff i read there i already knew it. remember the letter from the wife of a developper at EA?

we all know EA is destroying many great franchise , the latest is battlefield. In Bf:1942 , Dice ( read EA here now since dice is now EA property) bought Trauma studios , and shut further desert combat developpement . DC was one of the reason battlefield 1942 sold really well ( there were some other mods also , like forgotten hope , the quirky battlefield pirates , galactic conquest ... and many more) . The community was astounded that there wouldnt be any other release of desert combat past 0.7 . Some developper took their spare time and released desert combat final , wich was the end of desert combat. Then there was Battlefield vietnam... and i wish to not talk about it , since everyone know it was a very very bad game , especially the engine. Many tought vietnam was rushed out ...

and now... battlefield 2 , the desert combat we were waiting for (arent we?).... buggy game out of the box , first patch fixed almost nothing ... now the expansion special force , was supposed to bring a new dimension to the franchise ,did nothing . Another BF that felt rushed out. But what is going to be the last nail in the coffin is the infamous booster pack. Pay us money , and we will give you a patch! In the bf1942 days , we had new army , and new map , in 2 or 3 patch , and we werent paying for it.... The booster pack is gonna divise the server population , now if you want to play Vanilla bf2 , you cant go in an SF server , and if you wich to play euro force , you cant go in a vanilla server.... and it will be the same with armored force ( is it the right name?).

anyway ... what can we do? my help is to not buy any EA game for a while...

You guys are something else.

I'm not going to point out anyone specifically because this doesn't need to become a flame war but "lol ea sucks" has become the "cool" thing to say on message boards.

"They're money hungry" -- Well no shit...they're a business. Do you have absolutely ZERO understanding of the system we have working here in the US? (And most of the rest of the world for that matter)

Pick a company...any company... Type them in google and I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find old stories from disgruntled former/current employees. Nobody is going to take the time to make a big deal about "EA is an average employer and I enjoy it as much as I would any other job"

But I suppose if you want to believe everything you read (or just what suits your previously stated opinions) then you're probably not intelligent enough to be sharing your opinion in the first place.

What's even more ironic is when I see someone compare EA to other companies like they're so different. Yes EA bought up the NFL license. So did DirecTV, so did Sirius Radio...so obviously they're evil companies that must be taken down :rolleyes: In both cases these companies did this for the sole purpose of eliminating one competetor. In Sirius's case it was XM... In directv's case it was Dish Network (or if you want to argue local cable co.) This is business.

Or go ahead and make the statement "All EA does is slap their franchise name on a shitty game and throw it out the door. That's why I like Sega/Nintendo/whoever" Gimme a break...Everyone is guilty of the same thing. They put out a product and if it's succesful they're going to put out another. McDonalds has been selling the same food for 50 years.

Licensing is something that EA practically invented in software and now everyone else follows suit while EA gets the brunt of the criticism. They took what the music and movie world had been doing so succesfully for decades and used that practice with their software. I doubt there's a single company out there (with the exception of the few that are arguably as succesful as EA) that wouldn't in one split second pack up their shit and trade places with EA.

The Sims is the highest selling PC game of all time... The fact that it sold so well indicates to a company that your consumer wants more. So they released ONE expansion and we all sprinted out to buy it and did the exact same thing with each subsequent release.

So you think the Sims is lame... good for you. You're a myopic moron who can't see past his/her own interests. Companies are in business to make money. There's not a single other aspect that a FOR PROFIT business is going to open it's doors for.

You want to talk about re-hashing? Let's talk about record labels that have been releasing greatest hits albums filled with the same exact content you already purchased... And yet the consumer lines up around the block to the one of the first to get the CD....filled with the EXACT same thing they already have. So what's wrong with an expansion pack that offers you more? I would buy your argument if EA somehow disabled you from playing their previous games unless you bought the expansion pack but that's not what happens.

If consumers didn't want EA's products they wouldn't be dominating the sales charts every week, every month, and every year for the better part of a decade.

If I look at the Billboard Top 100 chart I'm willing to bet I don't own a single CD on that list... and yet I'm not running around telling everyone that those respective artists are no talent jackasses and anyone who listens to it has poor taste in music. I buy what I want and leave those people alone who want to buy what they want.

EA mostly operates in the US (obviously they have locations elsewhere as their products are sold world-wide) and employs 1000's of american employees to work there. They employ them... They're not outsourcing their work to 12 year old Asian or African kids for 3 cents an hour like many large companies have been guitly of.

If you want to talk about business ethics and monopolistic practices then focusing your energy on EA is a huge waste of energy and extremely counter-productive.

So you keep saying what you want and they'll keep on being the most succesful software company in the world and everytime they put a game out the consumer will buy it because they want it.

Destorying franchises? Give me a break. These companies have every opportunity in the world to tell EA to go screw themselves. And yet... Everytime EA comes knocking these companies trip over themselves while running to cash the check.

Anything on Wikipedia is factual to my understanding.

Wikipedia rocks.

Luxor said:
Anything on Wikipedia is factual to my understanding.

Wikipedia rocks.

That's like saying anything on Hardforum is factual. Obviously the lawsuits are real...that obviously happened.

However most of that article is opinionated and obviously slanted.

Seriously? I didn't really read much of it.

I thought wikipedia was like the uber online encylopedia?

Luxor said:
Seriously? I didn't really read much of it.

I thought wikipedia was like the uber online encylopedia?

I love Wikipedia but the information is submitted by users. Most of it anyway.

So... yeah me or you or anyone else could go type whatever we want. There's ways to dispute information and wiki will certainly delete anything that's blatantly false but a report like that isn't really "false" it's just slanted.

WorldRunner said:

I'm not going to point out anyone specifically because this doesn't need to become a flame war but "lol ea sucks" has become the "cool" thing to say on message boards.

You can have your own opinion , but the way EA manage to alienate the whole community by disrespecting the casual gamer is very wrong. Dont tell me im a communist or something like that , cause i own a business , and were rocking our competitor , but not by having the best price , but the best quality for the price . How come we have the best quality? because were listening our client and our employees . So far i didnt read , heard or saw somewhere that EA is doing one of those 2 things...

IMO EA sucks , and i feel cool while saying it

WorldRunner said:
EA mostly operates in the US (obviously they have locations elsewhere as their products are sold world-wide) and employs 1000's of american employees to work there. They employ them... They're not outsourcing their work to 12 year old Asian or African kids for 3 cents an hour like many large companies have been guitly of.

and this argument cant stand , how a 12 year old boy could developp a game? its different from nike , walmart . Their producing a very specific product here , not t-shirts.

arr4ws said:
and this argument cant stand , how a 12 year old boy could developp a game? its different from nike , walmart . Their producing a very specific product here , not t-shirts.

I'm well aware of that. My point is that everyone wants to talk about how evil EA is and I simply think it's a waste of energy... Because if you're that concerned about "evil corporations" then your time would be better spent on focusing on companies that do things that make EA look as if it were run by Saint Peter.

If you think Ea sucks just because you do...fine. I don't care. My problem comes when people run around spreading bad information as truth and when they bother to say it in the first place with no logical or factual reasoning.

arr4ws said:
You can have your own opinion , but the way EA manage to alienate the whole community by disrespecting the casual gamer is very wrong. Dont tell me im a communist or something like that , cause i own a business , and were rocking our competitor , but not by having the best price , but the best quality for the price . How come we have the best quality? because were listening our client and our employees . So far i didnt read , heard or saw somewhere that EA is doing one of those 2 things...

IMO EA sucks , and i feel cool while saying it

Yeah... I'm sure EA completely ignores what their customer wants. I'm sure they don't do any kind of research... I bet the executives sit in their office and say "What do gamers want... let's give them the opposite"

EA doesn't have the best price... So I'm not sure where that logic comes into play here. Quality is very subjective. Line 10 people up and ask them what's best and they may all give you a different answer.

Fact is other than Nintendo, Microsoft, and EA nobody else really has a legit claim to the "Most succesful software developer/publisher" title. Since they're so sucessful it'd be practically impossible for them to be as god awful as 3% of the gamers with the loudest voices claim that they are.

The proof is in the pudding... And in this case the pudding is the sales charts.

EA has lost my respect for a couple reasons.

First, the ruined Command and Conquer. That game used to be my favorite. I could of sit there for hours and played it. They buy Westwood, and then come out with Generals. That game was horrible. Was not balanced at all, gameplay sucked, and I noticed quite a few glitches and crashes.

Second, the Battlefield series. When 1942 came out, the game was pretty decent. It had it round of bugs. But the main thing that we can all agree on is the mod support for it. Like someone pointed out, the game sold very well, because of Desert Combat. Well EA saw this as a money making jackpot so brought out DICE and had them do BF2. Not only that, they rushed BF2 and DICE couldnt do what they did to Desert Combat. So what did we get? A piece of shit. Game was buggy as shit. EA even had DICE rush the patches and what did we get? A huge memory leak!! BF2 has a great concept, it has great potential, but until EA realizes that adding expansions and booster packs to and already working on Battlefield 2142, and not fixing BF2, they arnt going to get customers. People are going to see Battlefield 2142 on the stands and if they played BF2 and realized its been a year and this is already out and if they experienced problems, which its probably save to say, most of us has own share of BF2 problems, they arnt going to buy it.

They really need to sit down and reorganize there coporation and give in to the consumers and not what the sales chart says.

The only game I could agree they did a decent job on was the Sims 2. That game is really fun. Granted I never played the expansion or brought any of the Sims 2 expansions, the first one was really good IMO. They really cant screw that up really bad though, as its just a simulation game. But point stands, they did a decent job with that. But they are spitting out the expansions like there is no tomorrow though. Maxis was a great company though, and I did not like them buying them out.

Lazy_Moron said:
EA has lost my respect for a couple reasons.

First, the ruined Command and Conquer. That game used to be my favorite. I could of sit there for hours and played it. They buy Westwood, and then come out with Generals. That game was horrible. Was not balanced at all, gameplay sucked, and I noticed quite a few glitches and crashes.

Second, the Battlefield series. When 1942 came out, the game was pretty decent. It had it round of bugs. But the main thing that we can all agree on is the mod support for it. Like someone pointed out, the game sold very well, because of Desert Combat. Well EA saw this as a money making jackpot so brought out DICE and had them do BF2. Not only that, they rushed BF2 and DICE couldnt do what they did to Desert Combat. So what did we get? A piece of shit. Game was buggy as shit. EA even had DICE rush the patches and what did we get? A huge memory leak!! BF2 has a great concept, it has great potential, but until EA realizes that adding expansions and booster packs to and already working on Battlefield 2142, and not fixing BF2, they arnt going to get customers. People are going to see Battlefield 2142 on the stands and if they played BF2 and realized its been a year and this is already out and if they experienced problems, which its probably save to say, most of us has own share of BF2 problems, they arnt going to buy it.

They really need to sit down and reorganize there coporation and give in to the consumers and not what the sales chart says.

The only game I could agree they did a decent job on was the Sims 2. That game is really fun. Granted I never played the expansion or brought any of the Sims 2 expansions, the first one was really good IMO. They really cant screw that up really bad though, as its just a simulation game. But point stands, they did a decent job with that. But they are spitting out the expansions like there is no tomorrow though. Maxis was a great company though, and I did not like them buying them out.

You could be just as mad at the consumer for constantly buying expansions or be mad at Maxis for "selling out"

You're saying they should rethink what they do and not just worry about sales... But high sales = giving the consumer what they want. They're going to go with what the majority wants...not what you want. (Or what I want for that matter)

Some of their games you'll like (sims 2 for example as you stated) and some you won't....but every company is operating the same. Nobody is doing this as a labor of love.

I think the main point here is that EA doesn't care for the soul or the humanity of their coerced studios or the total quality of the games that they put out. They only care about the bottom dollar. They have ruined good franchises by putting dollar-defined-time-deadlines on them instead of allowing devs to work things out to a point of 100% well-rounded-wholeness.

This isn’t to say I won’t be playing NFS of Madden. It just means that I know what the bottom line was when the game was made. And it shows in the game. I sometimes think of how dumb it is to buy a new Madden game. After all, only a few minor things change from one year’s title to the next. They update the rosters, and if you’re lucky, it won’t be 3 years before they update their game engine.

To me, EA is company that is successful at marketing and its product just happens to be games. If EA were a car company, they would be GM, Ford, or Dodge who are too money concious to compete with the mechanical and body style innovation from Japan and Europe.

Rock&Roll said:
To me, EA is company that is successful at marketing and its product just happens to be games. If EA were a car company, they would be GM, Ford, or Dodge who are too money concious to compete with the mechanical and body style innovation from Japan and Europe.

You don't happen to watch top gear, the UK edition?
They once summarized the Chrysler Crossfire as "15000 parts, all made by the lowest bidder", and it just seems ... fitting.

The proof is in the pudding... And in this case the pudding is the sales charts.
Ha
Hahahahahah
Hahahah
Hahahahahahahaahahahahaah
Hahahaha
Haha
Hahahahahahahaha

Sales don't mean shit. If you hype something up, it will sell. If you make something look good, it will sell. But you are mistaken if you think those games are any good.

Doom 3 got hyped to hell and back. When it came out, it was fun and interesting. FOR A FEW HOURS.

EA does not produce quality products. This is a fact.

Got it, Mr. EA PR Rep?

EA would whore out their own mom's to make a buck. Its too bad that they end up buying up alot of great companies and franchises, then ruining them with their horrible implementation. Also the fact that they bought up the NFL rights so that now I cant enjoy the best football series ever made (2k series), thanks for ruining football for me EA.

Look I don't give a shit what any of you guys say but the fact remains what they did to Ultima Online was a travesty. I will forever hate them for ruining one of the best MMORPG's ever made.

WorldRunner said:
You could be just as mad at the consumer for constantly buying expansions or be mad at Maxis for "selling out"

You're saying they should rethink what they do and not just worry about sales... But high sales = giving the consumer what they want. They're going to go with what the majority wants...not what you want. (Or what I want for that matter)

Some of their games you'll like (sims 2 for example as you stated) and some you won't....but every company is operating the same. Nobody is doing this as a labor of love.

Wow, I can't even respond anymore to this topic as you've pointed out everything I wanted to say. Well said as what you've said is exactly how I feel. Everyone needs to remember that while enthuasiam drives innovation, they usually don't drive sales. Us hardcore enthusiasts are what makes up about 2% of the market, which is why we are often dubbed the 2%'ers. This is for the same reason why no matter what you want, companies like Toyota and Ford build products that cater to the mainstream market, or about 98% of the market. Do the math and see where you profits lie. It's so hard to even find an article anymore that analyzes EA fairly as many of these so called journalists let their personal biases cloud their objectivity.

Wow! I am amazed at the pitiful rationalizations going on. It's perfectly justified to perform hostile takeovers. Shit products that barely run as advertised are Aokay. Slave driver hours so bad that EA elected to settle out of court since they did not dare face a trial they would lose just go with the territory, cause I like racing. Yayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

if i were in charge of ea, i would do the same crap. as an average customer, i am very frustrated with ea!

Deathjester said:
Completely slaughtered Ultima Online.

Exactly. Anyone that played UO in its prime would understand why we hate EA. They turned it into the SIMS. You can buy pre-made characters, pay for organized birthday parties, and the whole game is a carebear world filled with pretty items and clothing for people to wear fashionably in town.

I have plenty of other reasons to hate them. They killed C&C. They squashed my favorite football sereis for the next few years (Sega's Sports NFL 2K? / ESPN). They also held back on BF2 being so much more.

Lazy_Moron said:
. Well EA saw this as a money making jackpot so brought out DICE and had them do BF2. Not only that, they rushed BF2 and DICE couldnt do what they did to Desert Combat. So what did we get?

WTF, man?

BLAME DICE FOR being bought.

QUESTION - WHY the hell couldn't DICE just make BF2 by itself? I'm sure it would have sold millions of copies without EA's help. I'm sorry to say but its DICE's fault in this case.

If we all got what we wanted we would have to wait for things like the halo 2 delay to see games of that caliber. The game was 90% done for god knows how long but it was delayed and delayed until they got a great game. If EA was going to make games like such they would have to cut their portfolio in half or just have a lot of games that it's going to take a long time to make, and we would all be complaining about how long it takes for each new game to come out. This does not speak for all games or their lack of community support but games take time and cost money and with all titles you cant risk a delay like Halo 2.

i see EA as a big hollywood movie producer... they make not so good movie , but they do one hell of a job in marketing ....

im sure everyone have some movie in mind ;)

I've lost pretty much all faith in ea games. Look at madden. It seems like after ea got the nfl contract it has just started to go downhill as they don't have to compete with sega which has some of the best guys in the business when it comes to games. I tried the demo for the new nfs for the 360 and I'm also not really impressed with it. What really made me mad with ea though was bf1942. I downloaded the demo before it came out and it ran great. With this in mind I bought the game the day it came out. The code in the box had to be at least 3 months behind the demo. Many of you will remember how many people bitched in the forums because the game sucked ass(code wise). It took them a month to fix the issues. By that time I had no interest in it. In this case I felt like they lied to me. The demo should have been an example of what the game should have been. It was not. They stole that money from me. It would have been a good game too. I laughed when the second one came out (bfve) and had the same issues. EA didn't care, they wanted the consumer to do all the beta testing. I feel sorry for the people they screwed over that bought the game and couldn't play it for a few weeks because it was not ready. With them screwing over consumers I don't see why anyone would think they would treat there own anybetter.

WorldRunner said:

[abridged blah blah...]

Destorying franchises? Give me a break. These companies have every opportunity in the world to tell EA to go screw themselves. And yet... Everytime EA comes knocking these companies trip over themselves while running to cash the check.

Did you even think about those nonsensical arguments before you posted them? There are hardly any realations that are meaningful an any of them. For instance, how can you compare the buying of the NFL license. See the radio and television companies do not mangle the very essence of the game; however, a video game can do virtually whatever it wants. All the radio/tv stations are doing is calling a game. Have you played the new Madden for the 360? It is the worst football game ever. You can't even cycle backwards between your defensive players! What football game since techmo bowl could you not do this in?

Also, compare Madden to Sega (yes I'm going to be one of those guys, because we have a point). The 2k series of games (put out at $20 a pop mind you) were far superior games than the Madden in many ways. If you know anything about football and are not hypnotized by name brand then you will actually understand this argument -- but, I'm assuming you would rather see a shiny helmet than be able to pick a play without your opponent being able to know EXACTLY which one you're picking. And since hardly anybody will buy a football game without the actual names, the competition is non-existant. So what does that mean for any football game for the next five years or so? They will more than likely be crap -- complete crap. So tell me, why should one not complain about this? And how exactly can you compare this franchise purchase and the ones that happend with radio and TV? You just can't -- unless you want to draw an irrelivant analogy.

Also, the argument that it's just a business? Ok, yeah, what do you think everybody is getting all pissy about? Just that -- it's being a business instead of creating worthwhile video games. See, there are other businesses out there that are still, yes, businesses, and those businesses are still pumping out quality titles such as blizzard and bioware. And would you look at that -- they still make a crap-ton of money in the process. It's not that people don't understand that some businesses will piss on the little guy for a buck, but we would rather not see those companies around -- because it doesn't obviously have to be that way.

And the most intelligent comment(s) you made in your long-winded rant was calling virtually anybody who disagrees an idiot (or as you put it "myopic moron, "not intelligent enough," etc..). I guess we should bow to your superiority, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back