EA hates the BF gaming comunity(hacked servers.

A demo is a demo and that's it's. EA don't make any money out of it. And they won't make any money out of it if people can have huge battles for hours. They would lose a lot of money in retail sales because people got off on the demo and didn't have a need for the retail.

I don't see why they are considered dumb for this.

Conker said:
12 minute rounds suck really bad. Makes the demo and game look bad. The guy that made that unlimited time mod saved your lives EA. lol

I think it was perfect timing for the demo to be unlocked. The new guns are awesome. :)

12 Minute Time Limit makes the games look bad? You must have been free of stability issues. Or how about that filtering system that doesn't seem to filter any server out? Ohh and how about the fact that with stability issues you had to sit through 2 minutes of intro graphics that you couldn't skip even with the normal EA startup parameter that should skip em. Or how about the fact you had to sign up for an account to play single player? Pls anyone else want to chime in?

I'm sure the communtiy could keep modded servers full even with out them showing up in the game browser.

Wow alot of people on here take product protection as a personal insult... geez. However, EA games is one of the worst companies out there. They treat the employees like shit and the customers alike. If EA didn't have the BF and NFS series then I would never buy their products. How ever I have to dissagree with comments made on Blizzard, i think Blizzard is the best game company in exsistance, with Valve in 2nd place.

My opinion:

EA can do whatever they want with their demo. Further more, EA can do whatever they want with their tracker.

However, if I buy their game, the license is mine. If I want to play on a server that lets me enjoy all the content I paid for, regardless of whether I've spent enough time on "the EA-approved experience", then that's my right. If they want to take servers like that out of their tracker, I'll use a different tracker. But if they find that banning servers from the tracker doesn't achieve the desired effect, I doubt they'll shy away from pursuing harsher measures.

Moves like this aren't wrong in and of themselves, but they indicate that EA is willing to push around the community when they do something EA doesn't like. And when you make a game like this that depends on the community to be enjoyable, shitting on them decreases the perceived value of the product.

pistola said:
Wow alot of people on here take product protection as a personal insult... geez. However, EA games is one of the worst companies out there. They treat the employees like shit and the customers alike. If EA didn't have the BF and NFS series then I would never buy their products. How ever I have to dissagree with comments made on Blizzard, i think Blizzard is the best game company in exsistance, with Valve in 2nd place.

Except Blizzard is mostly/entirely Vivendi now.

Thank them for making what's left of Blizzard release WoW entirely too early.

Screw Vivendi.

LOL,
All you whining fuckers in here crack me up.
You are a given a free demo to play and all you can do is bitch about what you aren’t given and what you can’t take for free. :rolleyes:
LOL that is what is wrong with you kids today you think everything is owed to you and you can get anything you want for nothing.

EA is trying to sell a product, they are trying to entice you with a demo that will make you wanting more so they input the time limit and locked some weapons.
What the hell is wrong with that?
Why are they bad for blocking servers that have hacked these features?
They gave you the demo for free and they only asked that you follow the rules, it is real simple.

Don’t get me wrong I hate EA just like anyone else; they treat their employees like shit and release buggy crappy games.
But they are fully within their rights to say you can’t have all the weapons now and you may only play for 12 minutes at a time unless you buy the game.
As much as it pains to support EA I will buy the game because it is a blast.

It’s real simple enjoy it or don’t.

Wish there was a way to just download an iso directly from DICE and burn it like that instead of this EA crap. They should be lucky they even got DICE, spoiled idiots at EA are complaining now. Just like someone complaining about having a super computer and then saying i want more. DICE didn't complain it was EA. There are a few servers out there that haven't gotten filtered out yet. Hope theres a hack where custom maps can be loaded in just to stick it up to EA. :p

BTW as for hating the way you have to log into their servers to host and play?
Get use to it.
I think you will see most new big games go the way of Steam and we have no one to blame but ourselves.

I have been shall we say playing games for free for years and companies I tired of people stealing their software.
They will find a way to stop it or at least slow it down some and unfortunately making you log in to play single and especially multiplayer is a helpful deterrent.

I know it won’t stop all hacking but it will help.
And like I said we have only ourselves to blame.

I think they are shooting themselves in the foot for that. Everyone gets their hacked stuff from major hackers and not amatures so thats not really gonna stop anything. It's just gonna allow more people to play with cracked versions online like the steam hacks.

JRT said:
Get use to it.
I think you will see most new big games go the way of Steam and we have no one to blame but ourselves.

I have been shall we say playing games for free for years and companies I tired of people stealing their software.
They will find a way to stop it or at least slow it down some and unfortunately making you log in to play single and especially multiplayer is a helpful deterrent.

Conker said:
I think they are shooting themselves in the foot for that. Everyone gets their hacked stuff from major hackers and not amatures so thats not really gonna stop anything. It's just gonna allow more people to play with cracked versions online like the steam hacks.

Perhaps you are right but for some it works.
It worked on me.
Normally I would just have downloaded the game off Usenet, but I don’t feel like fucking with hacking shit just to play a game online.
Online play is where I spend 95% of my time and I don’t really care much about single player.

Who knows maybe I’m just getting old.

JRT said:
Get use to it.

When HL2 and CS:S came out I could play online and I didn't own the game (i do now tho, because it was good). My point is, if people want a game for free, it'll happen, no stopping it.

JRT said:
Perhaps you are right but for some it works.
It worked on me.
Normally I would just have downloaded the game off Usenet, but I don’t feel like fucking with hacking shit just to play a game online.
Online play is where I spend 95% of my time and I don’t really care much about single player.

Who knows maybe I’m just getting old.

I agree. What really stopped me from doing that with HL2 and CS:S is the constant updates, which they do on fridays usually. When that happens you have to wait for a new crack etc, and then you cant play all weekend, not fun. I'd rather spend the $50 on a great game and not worry about it.

JRT said:
LOL that is what is wrong with you kids today you think everything is owed to you and you can get anything you want for nothing.

JRT said:
Normally I would just have downloaded the game off Usenet

Anyone else see the irony here?

Hazards said:
after i hit the 12 minute time limit a couple of times i said f this game it sux and i wont be buying it. then a buddy told me there were servers without it, and then i really enjoyed the game. I guess ea just doesnt want people to like their product... :rolleyes:

What planet are you from? Its a demo. There wont be a 12 minute cap in the product. Its a demo. You dont have the final product. Its a demo. Its like you people have never seen a crippled demo in your life?

Clearly they support the community in some big ways. They are practically training the community and providing software support for player mods. At least this is what I have been reading. The great thing about '42 was the player mods. As long as this continues for BF2 then I will be happy.

Kevin Lowe said:
Interesting news...

http://www.udpsoft.com/forum/topic.cgi?forum=1&topic=2538

Apparently, BF2 is incompatible by design with ASE.

Combined with EA's use of tracker delisting as a punitive measure, I wonder if they're going to try to use this to keep the community in line.

Wonder how long that "Join by IP" button will stay in the interface....
That's exactly what I was fearing... but maybe that will change. I'd hate to have to use the awful in-game browser or Gamespy Suckcade.

JRT said:
LOL,
You are a given a free demo to play and all you can do is bitch about what you aren’t given and what you can’t take for free. :rolleyes:

EA is trying to sell a product, they are trying to entice you with a demo that will make you wanting more so they input the time limit and locked some weapons.
They gave you the demo for free and they only asked that you follow the rules, it is real simple.

So changing 2 lines in a simple text file held in the MOD folder is hacking?

And where is the EULA file so people can read it? Because I cannot find it..

The point is that if EA wanted us to leave the demo alone, they could have done it by programming it that way, or making the EULA clear as day, or ya know warning people that modifying the files are strictly prohibited.

Instead they pulled this 1 week ban out after the damage has been done. I know no one has purchased the game, but this leaves a very sour taste in peoples mouth. How does the modding community know now that what they do will be considered against the EULA or not? As soon as EA makes the decision on whether they like the mod or not, that is when.

I know they are in the business to sell games, but the modders sold ALOT of BF1942 for them. Let the modders be and sell the games for them again.

urbsnspices said:
What planet are you from? Its a demo. There wont be a 12 minute cap in the product. Its a demo. You dont have the final product. Its a demo. Its like you people have never seen a crippled demo in your life?

Clearly they support the community in some big ways. They are practically training the community and providing software support for player mods. At least this is what I have been reading. The great thing about '42 was the player mods. As long as this continues for BF2 then I will be happy.
a crippled demo is usually one map/level or limited guns/items. i got pissed off every round i played b/c just when my team would start to even out the playing field and start driving the other's points down the timer would be up and we would lose. demos are supposed to make you want to buy the game not go "oh damn that demo sucked, i better spend 50 bux to buy the game and see if i like it then"

i probably wont' be playing the demo any more then. I'll just wait till next week and buy the game. I get pissed off any time the server has the 12 min time limit, it's just not nearly enough time to finish a round in bf2. they should have made tickets start at 100 or less if they wanted to make the time so short.

Mayfield said:
The point is that if EA wanted us to leave the demo alone, they could have done it by programming it that way, or making the EULA clear as day, or ya know warning people that modifying the files are strictly prohibited.

Or if that was too difficult for them to leave out, they shouldn't have released it. Period.

Their fault, they left it in. The developers had to have had a clue that someone was going to start playing with it after it was released.

Whether you feel that it's right or wrong for people to be running hacked servers, it's going to happen; There might be less of it if there was a little more progressive manner of dealing with it, not becoming fundamentalist about it.

JRT said:
LOL,

Don’t get me wrong I hate EA just like anyone else; they treat their employees like shit and release buggy crappy games.
But they are fully within their rights to say you can’t have all the weapons now and you may only play for 12 minutes at a time unless you buy the game.
As much as it pains to support EA I will buy the game because it is a blast.

It’s real simple enjoy it or don’t.

Your right, what should I have to complain about. I shuldn't take this free demo as an example of what EA will do with the finished product. How they may handle problems. Or even assume that the gameplay will be relativly the same as the demo. So the question is WTF is your problem? When a bad game, be it a demo is released and problems are found, complaints are the natural way of venting. So don't get so all high and mighty.

JRT said:
Get use to it.
<CUT>

Great thing is, I don't have to get used to it. I just don't have to buy the game. I move on to the many hundreds of other developers out there. I've already backed off handful, and even with some of them reformed it will take alot more for me return.

For me the comedy thing in this announcement is that I've been playing on the PC Zone UK server for the last few days and magically it doesn't have a time limit on it. Now are they going to ban and delist the server of the biggest selling games mag in the UK.

Will be interesting to see :)

Conker said:
Wish there was a way to just download an iso directly from DICE and burn it like that instead of this EA crap. They should be lucky they even got DICE, spoiled idiots at EA are complaining now. Just like someone complaining about having a super computer and then saying i want more. DICE didn't complain it was EA. There are a few servers out there that haven't gotten filtered out yet. Hope theres a hack where custom maps can be loaded in just to stick it up to EA. :p

Isn't this what everyone burned Valve at the stake for? Seems that everyone, (but me) hates Steam. Steam is allowing Valve to skip the publishers and get the product directly to their customer and cutting out the middle man. But you solve one complaint only to create more, no one is ever happy.

It's almost comical how people are up in arms over how EA is delisting servers that have the timer and weapons unlocked. If you just take a step back and look at the big picture, they are actually doing what is in the best interest for the company. They want players who play the demo to say "The demo is only a taste of the retail product! I can not wait till that is released so I can purchase it!" Not "Why should I buy it when I can play for free with all weapons unlocked and no timer"

Masume said:
It's almost comical how people are up in arms over how EA is delisting servers that have the timer and weapons unlocked. If you just take a step back and look at the big picture, they are actually doing what is in the best interest for the company. They want players who play the demo to say "The demo is only a taste of the retail product! I can not wait till that is released so I can purchase it!" Not "Why should I buy it when I can play for free with all weapons unlocked and no timer"
I doubt having weapons unlocked and no timer would stop people from buying it. If people wanted to buy it, they would, regardless of what was in the demo. One map is simply not enough.

kick@ss said:
I doubt having weapons unlocked and no timer would stop people from buying it. If people wanted to buy it, they would, regardless of what was in the demo. One map is simply not enough.

Amen people will get bored in a couple weeks and buy it for more maps and features.

And I am sick and tired of them calling it a hack. If taking a file that is in plain text in the mod folder and removing one character is "hacking", then I have hacked every game that I own.. come arrest me I have broken the DCMA.

I think the problem they might have is that somehow enterprising people might find ways to hack the demo version so that it can play other maps or somehow unlock the Chinese Army selections, as opposed to buying the whole retail thing.

There, EA's fully in their rights. This instance, they kinda overreacted in a bad way...I still maintain that if they were too scared that this was going to happen, they either,

a. Don't release a demo until after the game is in the stores.

b. Gee. Don't release a demo at all, and be done with it. So customers complain. As if they listen to their customers anyway. :p

Mayfield said:
Amen people will get bored in a couple weeks and buy it for more maps and features.

And I am sick and tired of them calling it a hack. If taking a file that is in plain text in the mod folder and removing one character is "hacking", then I have hacked every game that I own.. come arrest me I have broken the DCMA.

You have 24 hours

Satyrist said:
I think the problem they might have is that somehow enterprising people might find ways to hack the demo version so that it can play other maps or somehow unlock the Chinese Army selections, as opposed to buying the whole retail thing.

There, EA's fully in their rights. This instance, they kinda overreacted in a bad way...I still maintain that if they were too scared that this was going to happen, they either,

a. Don't release a demo until after the game is in the stores.

b. Gee. Don't release a demo at all, and be done with it. So customers complain. As if they listen to their customers anyway. :p
or dont release a demo that is pretty much the full version of the game, with things locked (and easily unlocked).

I sent out a nasty email to EA asking for a refund. We'll see what sort of sleezey corporate BS they try to feed me.

Even without the timer and the weapons unlocked it STILL is jsut a taste of the game. We still are only playing on one map and we have no chinese.

Masume said:

Satyrist said:

The demo is ~550 MB. The full game is ~1.8 GB. Somehow, I doubt we'll be unlocking the full game.

Masume said:

Hazards said:
demos are supposed to make you want to buy the game not go "oh damn that demo sucked, i better spend 50 bux to buy the game and see if i like it then"

the time limit makes me annoyed with the game, which is not what a demo is supposed to do.

ryanrule said:
or dont release a demo that is pretty much the full version of the game, with things locked (and easily unlocked).

Maybe that was too difficult for them to accomplish.

*shrug*

To be honest though..

The unlocked weapons and no timer increased the fun by 3x for me.. and pretty much sealed the deal for me. I know what I posted is the big picture answer.. but damn the small things help too :D

I'm sure some people are already testing out how to add the maps and the other chinese faction into the demo.. but I rather spend my $50.00 and hop right in on the 21st!

Back