EA Halts Development Due To BF 4 Issues

EA's testing departments are a joke.

Ubi$oft still owns the crown for game delays though.

EA's testing departments are a joke.

Ubi$oft still owns the crown for game delays though.

Why is delaying games a bad thing? Would you rather they shove games out unfinished like every other big publisher?

Its apparently a verified rumor that EA forced the game out early like they do everything else. It's part of their switch over to Battlefield being a Yearly franchise.

That rumor has been going around since Battlefield 2:eek:

I really don't have any pity for people who have problems with their products. This company has repeatedly churned out crap for over a decade. Yet people still buy their products. So maybe EA isn't the problem after all....

Maybe its the consumer.

I will admit that I purchased the game over the holiday weekend while it was on sale. Seeing the enthusiasm and online benchmarks I gave EA the benefit of the doubt since I haven't played any games since 2005. I was leery being that EA had botched BF1942 and NFS:UG so badly. I purchased anyway and have been regretting it since. EA is worse than they were when I swore them off years ago. What I find amazing is that people have supported this behavior from them for so many years. This isn't their first merry-go-round.

That rumor has been going around since Battlefield 2:eek:

no it was hinted at by peter moore following the Medal of honor failure

Bad Company 2 2010
Battlefield 3 2011
Medal of honor warfighter 2012
Battlefield 4 2013

‘This one is behind us now. We are taking Medal Of Honor out of the rotation, and have a plan to bring year-over-year continuity to our shooter offerings’. - Peter Moore

I'm kinda pissed because they have the balls to release the first expansion and the game only been out like a fuckin month and its busted. What an idiotic move to pull. They've all but announced they're holding back completed content for DLC it's disgusting.

I'll be skipping battlefield 4 altogether. The DLC flooding and exclusives just drives me nuts. Thats no way to push a competitive game. EA needs to back up and re-establish the Battlefield brand. It's obviously starting to crash and burn.

I really don't have any pity for people who have problems with their products. This company has repeatedly churned out crap for over a decade. Yet people still buy their products. So maybe EA isn't the problem after all....

Maybe its the consumer.

Opinions = facts?

Games have been buggy since forever.. It's nothing new in PC world.

At the risk of blaming someone else but the consumers and gamers, I think it would be useful if the professional game review sites would factor in the buggyness in their scores. Isn't that the point of reviews, to alert consumers to good or bad products and thus properly influence their buying decisions?

BF4 for PS4 currently averaging 85% rating and 81% for PC. This should be a lot lower if the product is as buggy as everyone is saying it is.

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps4/706551-battlefield-4/index.html

At the risk of blaming someone else but the consumers and gamers, I think it would be useful if the professional game review sites would factor in the buggyness in their scores. Isn't that the point of reviews, to alert consumers to good or bad products and thus properly influence their buying decisions?

BF4 for PS4 currently averaging 85% rating and 81% for PC. This should be a lot lower if the product is as buggy as everyone is saying it is.

This industry is rife with entire departments devoted to damage control and the outright spreading of lies to maintain the illusion of status quo in order to appease the shareholders to which these publishing mega-corporation are beholden to.

This industry is rife with entire departments devoted to damage control and the outright spreading of lies to maintain the illusion of status quo in order to appease the shareholders to which these publishing mega-corporation are beholden to.

Thank you... Most seem to still not understand this age old strategy.. HYPE men..

This is great news and quite amazing tbh, it shows they have realised they cant get away with crap releases any more.
I expect this attitude to be reflected in future releases.
A turning point perhaps?

The vast majority of "professional" reviews for BF4 were done in a controled environment. EA flew reviewers up to a private review event in a hotel and had them play the game there. It is a really really shitty practice that a lot of publishers use.

why is it EA's fault?...looks mostly like game bugs, server issues, crashes etc which are the fault of DICE

DICE has always been terrible with netcode.. in fact SO many companies are terrible. Whatever happened to the old school servers for games like Quake 3 rocket arena etc? They worked pretty damn flawlessly if I remember correctly.

Opinions = facts?

Games have been buggy since forever.. It's nothing new in PC world.

Yeah but nothing like this. People are basically sold a Beta for full retail price. Its only when they start complaining that EA puts out a patch and tries to save face. Look how long it took them to admit that BF4 had issues, when obviously the game was in terrible condition upon release. How does that kind of thing get past Quality Control? Does EA even have a QC department? Secondly didn't this game HAVE a Beta period? And still it gets released with all these problems? Please, that is bad business.

Again, EA can have and release their abominations upon the world. Its all stops at the Wallet, if we stop buying their products maybe they will wise up and release quality media again. Or maybe not and fail as a company. Either way, the consumer wins IMO.

Last edited:
Secondly didn't this game HAVE a Beta period? And still it gets released with all these problems? Please, that is bad business.

Again, EA can have and release their abominations upon the world. Its all stops at the Wallet, if we stop buying their products maybe they will wise up and release quality media again. Or maybe not and fail as a company. Either way, the consumer wins IMO.

People are putting too much stock in these 'beta' periods. There's a few select games where beta is beta. But it is almost always a marketing tool. Has been since around mid-2000s.

I agree with you for the most part about the crashes & the obvious shitty optimization these games get. The indie devs who put out games are better game developers than these bigger players in the market.

Betas are for selling preorders now, not for finding bugs that will get fixed.

I think it is possible to be too hard on even a large corporation like EA/DICE. These games are massive undertakings. They are pushing the technology forward. They are developing for multiple platforms. The release dates are totally arbitrary. The reality is, the game is done when it is done and it is not done. But they need to have a deadline and a launch date. As long as they do the right thing and fix all the bugs, I am fine. If they delayed the game a month or two we'd be complaining about that. If they never set a launch date their people would never crunch and get anything done. As long as they fix it before moving on to the next thing, they are acting in good faith in my opinion.

I bet AMD is now concerned considering BF4 was to the be launch for Mantle. Using a broke ass game to reveal your new API tech is certainly not a good thing at all! Especially with Frostbite is the largest engine to use Mantle.

If EA/DICE can't get their stuff together it may end up hurting AMD getting other large engines to adopt Mantle.

The vast majority of "professional" reviews for BF4 were done in a controled environment. EA flew reviewers up to a private review event in a hotel and had them play the game there. It is a really really shitty practice that a lot of publishers use.

That is too bad that things work that way. It means that gamers are better off relying on user reviews instead of pro websites.

I think it is possible to be too hard on even a large corporation like EA/DICE. These games are massive undertakings. They are pushing the technology forward. They are developing for multiple platforms.

It isn't like BF4 is the first ever Battlefield type game though. EA has over a decade of experience with these games, and BF4 isn't bring a lot of revolutionary new features to the table that could cause problems.

It isn't like BF4 is the first ever Battlefield type game though. EA has over a decade of experience with these games, and BF4 isn't bring a lot of revolutionary new features to the table that could cause problems.

The fact that a lot of the early BF3 bugs reappeared in BF4 was a tad troublesome. It's like they forked and never bothered to apply their fixes to the BF4 branch.

Imho, BF3 was released early because EA was tired of waiting. BF4 was what BF3 was probably originally slated to be - but it probably had a firm release window and came out halfassed and unfinished.

I haven't tested it, but from what I've read, their joystick support is still lacking. It uses the first USB device and does a full-on/off throttle. BF2 had awesome joystick support.. Made sense, because of the vehicle combat aspect.

Blame yourself, gamers. And esp pc gamers.

You like to whine and complain endlessly on forums, yet when any recycled sequel or new hyped game is announced, you line up like salivating dogs to give them your money.

Why should EA not keep doing the same thing? I can guarantee no matter how this goes, when BF5 is announced the same people will preorder like crazy.

You like to whine and complain endlessly on forums, yet when any recycled sequel or new hyped game is announced, you line up like salivating dogs to give them your money.

Why should EA not keep doing the same thing? I can guarantee no matter how this goes, when BF5 is announced the same people will preorder like crazy.

Naa, I prefer that they be responsible for their actions.
If a crowd of people wanted me to dive off a cliff, I wouldnt do it.

That is my thoughts on BF4. I feel no sympathy for anyone who was burned by it.

Bought it for 20 bucks during black friday, I've had some crashing every 2-3 games, but I still managed to almost get to rank 40 during the double xp week. Overall I'm having more fun in bf4 compared to bf3, I especially appreciate the changes to hardcore (no hit indicators is awesome).

That is my thoughts on BF4. I feel no sympathy for anyone who was burned by it.

Thats the Tooth!

Bought it for 20 bucks during black friday, I've had some crashing every 2-3 games, but I still managed to almost get to rank 40 during the double xp week. Overall I'm having more fun in bf4 compared to bf3, I especially appreciate the changes to hardcore (no hit indicators is awesome).

crashing every 2-3 games is pretty unacceptable.

My Stalker Call of Pripyat: Misery modded game crashes less than that, and the stalker series is one of the worst for crashing, before you add an entire game changing mod on top of it... This includes the occasional time where an entire section of a map will crash the game if I head in that direction..

Hence why I bought BF: BC2 for $5 when it was still popular, and haven't bought another since. I own two BF games - 1942 (+ expansions) and BC2. Not likely to ever add more at this rate.

BF3/4 are getting all the bad rap due to crappy Nvidia video drivers. I know because BF3 was crashing very frequently on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit until I upgraded to 331.65. BF4 is, unfortunately, still crashing once every or every other level. One of the reasons I'm growing to hate PC and just bought a PS4. Looking forward to AMD's next generation APU to remove some of this chaos.

EA should just release an engine and a mod kit and let the community do the rest.

That shipped has sailed, the way battlelog is designed how are you even going to promote servers with custom maps?. If they can't have a piece of the pie they won't do it.

DICE has always been terrible with netcode.. in fact SO many companies are terrible. Whatever happened to the old school servers for games like Quake 3 rocket arena etc? They worked pretty damn flawlessly if I remember correctly.

Im guessing when games got slower (gameplay wise) Netcode became less of an issue.

I think it is possible to be too hard on even a large corporation like EA/DICE. These games are massive undertakings. They are pushing the technology forward. They are developing for multiple platforms. The release dates are totally arbitrary. The reality is, the game is done when it is done and it is not done. But they need to have a deadline and a launch date. As long as they do the right thing and fix all the bugs, I am fine. If they delayed the game a month or two we'd be complaining about that. If they never set a launch date their people would never crunch and get anything done. As long as they fix it before moving on to the next thing, they are acting in good faith in my opinion.

Only the truly petulant would be complaining about delays. PC gamers are used to such things due to the likes of Valve and Blizzard.

Complaining about a product that is not fit for purpose upon purchase is perfectly valid.

I ended up trading Battlefield 4 back in to Gamestop because of the state of the game. I will get it on PC down the road when they patch things up.

Back