EA GAMES:'Rapidly Becoming the Largest Gaming Platform in the World'

maxius

2[H]4U
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58497

looks like ea has finally pulled their head out the console markets ass... they saying this is HUGE and to top it off they now hate drm looks to me like the pc is due for a huge come back.

hey i made the frontpage put comments there

Last edited:
The problem is maybe 5-10% of PCs are used for high quality gaming and even if that leaves you with 50-100 million gaming PCs out there the user base is so diverse that it is hard to market a game to such a broad demographic.

On PC you've got games like WoW and the Sims VS games like Call of Duty and GTA4 on consoles.... you can see the type of games that appeal to the general pc base vs consoles.

i think its finally picking up steam (pun intended, wait) because hardware finally became affordable. you CAN build a full gaming tower these days for $400. that is about the price of the xbox360 when it came out. people are willing to spend that much for a gaming system, and in this last year or so its finally possible to put that money into pc's and play current games. i know i just got my bro to upgrade on the promise that a new board, chip, ram and video card for ~$250 total will play any game period.

also, like i said, steam is helping too.

Its been no secret that digital distribution has been immensly popular, same with subscription based MMOs, it's just it's never counted against console sales in any type of polls. And then we get flooded with "the pc is dying" threads because console fanboys assume that less shelf space in shops must equal less overall sales.

fact is that most people using PC's to any significant degree, more specifically are using the internet, are already one step ahead of the average console users, hell I order almost everything online primarily because it's cheaper and more convenient, even my weekly shopping.

PC leads the way and stays at the head of advancement because it's the nature of the platform, consoles drag behind and re-use technology thats largely been R&D'd then tested on the PC first, thats why everything else about the console lags behind, including its fanboys :)

I think now with videocards being so cheap and also with lower end cards being able to perform pretty good compared to the past, we will see more pcs get into gaming compared to the past. Before when a person had a cheaper card it would suck and be so slow but now its alright. We're getting to a point to where most pc's are able to play the latest games pretty good. Ati and nvidia integrated graphics are alright but intels just plain sucks.

Problem is, most cheapo cards or onboard video are NOT going to really be able to play games. Even the Sims 3 will run like ass I suspect. Hell Sims 2 ran like ass on my wife's machine with a X2 4000+ 2gb ram and radeon 2600pro at 1024x768 (not even the monitors native res)

I hope the 9600GT she has now can handle it.. Last thing I need is her nagging because it's too slow yet she is too cheap to let me get her a 'real' computer.

Thats not a trait of the PC, thats a trait of so many developers making multiplatform games which are built for a generation of consoles which were behind the times graphically even on their release days (in comparison to top end PCs)

When we get a port of FEAR2 for the PC we're getting a game built for consoles and a PC version with most of the constraints of consoles built right into it, low end video cards still perform relatively slowly to the top end of the range there's just less to push the hardware with.

The original Crysis was a Grade A PC only title with some decent effort put in to adapting new technology, it's one of the few AAA PC exclusives we've had in ages and it's the only one that really pushes the boundries, it's no surprise really.

Taking a look back at the Hardocp Quad GPU article it's saddening to see that it basically has no use, theres nothing to push the technology because everyone and their dog has jumped on the multi platform development train and suddenly pushing the boundries and making our PCs scream for more clock cycles has just died away slowly.

Kind of depressing, i actually kinda miss crawling through ini files tweaking grass distance and foliage density to get games working smoothly with decent eye candy, I'm not talking about lack of optimisation, but rather creating a game that exceeds the average spec computer so we all want to go out and buy new video cards, and keep the painful upgrade cycle going.

Hell I've not even stopped by the video card forum in months, I see no reason to even consider upgrading my 4870 crossfire setup, even when powering 2560x1600, which is no easy task.

PC leads the way and stays at the head of advancement because it's the nature of the platform, consoles drag behind and re-use technology thats largely been R&D'd then tested on the PC first, thats why everything else about the console lags behind, including its fanboys :)

precisely. its like saying the automakers are going to stop making concept cars. if you dont have the prototypes you cant have the products afterward. it's also why pc gaming is always the most expensive... us pc enthusiasts are always the gunny pigs. but as of right now with the economy and all, pc gaming hardware is actually competitive in price with consoles.

Not entirely true if you are speaking in terms of hardware at least with this current gen of consoles. Xbox 360 with a triple core processor which just started to come around for the PC with the triple and quad core and the 360 has had it for about 4 years now. PS3 with cell processor which is like an eight core processor that does both CPU and GPU work on one chip which nothing like this is out for a PC (AMD is working on something like this). Wii with it is three dimensions motion sensors for a more active gaming feel.

My,my really ea?:rolleyes: been telling you this for the last 4-5 yrs. oh well doesnt matter as long as they see the light.:)

It might be the largest platform but that still doesnt mean that is what the users are going to use it as. The gamers that make up the market (casual) like to sit on the couch and pop the game in and go.

Gaming video cards are available at a relatively cheap price now. Hopefully the big OEM's will stop cranking out machines with only those horrid intel onboard video cards and instead include an $85-100 decent card in there by default.
I think the biggest obstacle for PC's will forever be Intel's onboard graphics. Their technology has honestly held us all back for a decade.

I don't think pushing video cards has died due to consoles. I think it's because after Crysis, what else can you push graphics too?

We are pretty much AT photorealism. There's not much else you can push as far as static graphics go.

I don't think pushing video cards has died due to consoles. I think it's because after Crysis, what else can you push graphics too?

We are pretty much AT photorealism. There's not much else you can push as far as static graphics go.

Crysis is already enough for a lot of people to upgrade :D

not just me, but a lot of my friends did the same thing just for that "ONE" Game....

it is quite amazing how a game really have such of impact among the hardware market..

So photography can't get better?

Crysis is great but come on... if Blizzard could make a game that completely looked like their cutscenes in 2560x, flawlessly, wouldn't you prefer that? I mean in 720p (I think) some space marine getting armor put on gives me goosebumps... I'm not even blowing anything up with a plasma cannon.

I believe there is still much can be done in graphics beyond what CryEngine2 is capable off, but the question is, is there really a need for that?

When crysis came out, one of its drawbacks were people complaining about its requirement, either because their old PC cant run it at all, or because their "expensive" PC can run everything at "Very High".

Anyway, yes I did upgrade just because of Crysis too, spent my paycheck on a new graphic card :p

Until we see signs that developers are beginning to push the graphics front again, I'll just stick with my almost 3 years old (except for the graphic card) system now.

Till then, I just hope developers will bring more quality title to PC platform.

Not entirely true if you are speaking in terms of hardware at least with this current gen of consoles. Xbox 360 with a triple core processor which just started to come around for the PC with the triple and quad core and the 360 has had it for about 4 years now. PS3 with cell processor which is like an eight core processor that does both CPU and GPU work on one chip which nothing like this is out for a PC (AMD is working on something like this). Wii with it is three dimensions motion sensors for a more active gaming feel.

Is this a serious post?

It sounds like what was posted before the consoles were released before people realised what they actually were.

Eight core proc? More like snow white and the seven dwarfs.

EA becoming the largest gaming platform? Well, that's it guys, it's over. I'm going to go jump off a tall building now. Clearly this is the end times and I don't want to be around when it happens.

;)

i think its finally picking up steam (pun intended, wait) because hardware finally became affordable. you CAN build a full gaming tower these days for $400. that is about the price of the xbox360 when it came out. people are willing to spend that much for a gaming system, and in this last year or so its finally possible to put that money into pc's and play current games. i know i just got my bro to upgrade on the promise that a new board, chip, ram and video card for ~$250 total will play any game period.

also, like i said, steam is helping too.

^
What he said. If you say your a "hardcore" gamer and you only game on consoles your a sham. :p

Back