EA Frostbite engine and FIFA 2021 source code allegedly stolen in hack

DanNeely

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.engadget.com/electronic-arts-hacked-164608934.html

Electronic Arts, the publisher of the Battlefield series and many other popular video game franchises, has been hacked. On multiple underground hacking forums, Motherboard found hackers claiming they had taken more than 780GB of data from the company. According to screenshots seen by the outlet, the trove includes the source code for FIFA 2021 and both the source code and tools for EA's proprietary Frostbite game engine. Some of the other assets the hackers claim they took from the company include several software development kits. Those responsible are trying to sell the assets.

Bad news for anyone who plays multiplayer games using Frostbite because having the full source code in the wild will make things at lot easier for anyone trying to create cheats for games using it.

This happens because of lax punishment for hackers. Nothing substantial will be done till people die from related cyber attacks/hacks and its only a matter of time till that happens.

Hope the hacker offers them the opportunity to not release the source code for a "micro transaction". Maybe after a few days they can shut down that version of the microtransaction software... and offer to sell them the newest version of source code hack (2.0!) with a new no release source code feature, unlockable with another "micro transaction". Then they can do this over and over again. I mean, you got the source hack for free, and hey you don't need to buy the "micro transaction" if you don't want to.

/sarcasm

This happens because of lax punishment for hackers. Nothing substantial will be done till people die from related cyber attacks/hacks and its only a matter of time till that happens.
unfortunately you're probably correct. Here in the US the Government has a "put out the fire" mentality, not a "prevent the fire" mentality

Ugh, this is gonna suck in multi-player if it's used to make subscription cheats (likely). Talk about a damper on BF2042's upcoming launch.

Ugh, this is gonna suck in multi-player if it's used to make subscription cheats (likely). Talk about a damper on BF2042's upcoming launch.

Cheats have already been an issue in Battlefield for years. I’m not convinced EA actually cares, since I haven’t seen them do a whole lot about it.

Cheats have already been an issue in Battlefield for years. I’m not convinced EA actually cares, since I haven’t seen them do a whole lot about it.
I rarely saw cheats in BF3, they got stomped pretty quick. I think I only saw two cheats in BF4 in the many hours I played. IIRC Punkbuster seemed to do a good job in handling cheats. Don't know about the newer BFs though.

Well, EA's excuse for dropping support for mods and mapmaking was that their tools were too sophisticated for ordinary people to use.
Now we will get to see if that's true.
Edit... I was talking about the battlefield/frostbite part.

I rarely saw cheats in BF3, they got stomped pretty quick. I think I only saw two cheats in BF4 in the many hours I played. IIRC Punkbuster seemed to do a good job in handling cheats. Don't know about the newer BFs though.
I encountered some obvious ones a few times in BF1 and BF5. Reading community forums indicated others had seen it quite a bit as well. BF1 and 5 didn’t have Punkbuster though, which likely made a difference.

I encountered some obvious ones a few times in BF1 and BF5. Reading community forums indicated others had seen it quite a bit as well. BF1 and 5 didn’t have Punkbuster though, which likely made a difference.
One thing I forgot was depending on the server for BF3/4 you would see Punkbuster messages showing when a player was immediately banned for a detected hack and the version or type of the hack too. The ban notifications would just be flowing in on the server messages. Admins are gonna have to be extra vigilant on the private servers this time around I think.

Last edited:

BF3/4 were not that bad but all games have them. Modern Warfare is notably worse, but their regular mini update patches seem to help. BF1/5 I hardly played so maybe it got worse with those games?

Cheating is rampant in BF1. Some friends and I have started playing it again in the last week and I have been shocked that I would say that about 33% of servers I join have someone on the other team who is 150-0. There is no in game report system which seems terrible.

Cheating is rampant in BF1. Some friends and I have started playing it again in the last week and I have been shocked that I would say that about 33% of servers I join have someone on the other team who is 150-0. There is no in game report system which seems terrible.
I miss dedicated servers.

Back