EA deleting support accounts

bonkrowave

2[H]4U
Well two days ago when I fired up BF2 and had it crash on me many times, I decided to use EAs technical support page and submit a question. After recieving an email confirmation that my question was recieved and waiting more then the suggested 24 hours, i went back to the site to check my ticket. Well my account no longer exists. I have tried numerous times and even tried the forgot password part and it says my account does not exist. So instead of answering my question they deleted my support account.

I will never buy an EA game again. They dont give a shit about paying customers and they are in the habit of releasing beta games as retail. I am going to return this game ASAP.

my ticket to EA said:
I will begin by saying I have all the latest drivers, bios, updates for windows, my video card, everything. I even did a clean format, install of my entire OS and BF2. And I still get random crashes to desktop. I have a 6800GT so there should be no problem, after all your game clearly emphasizes the fact that Nvidia is the way it is meant to be played.

In addition, what is with the lack of wide screen support ? Really now its 2005, all other A+ titles support it right in the video settings. Having to add the +szx +szy to the target is a hack, and is not, in-fact TRUE wide screen. Not to mention the fact that without native support over scan and under scan issues arise.

I don't want to hear some cut and paste response, or some "update your drivers" because that's not the problem. I have done everything I can on my end, including a clean format and install, which really should not be required.

I require answers, not pre-generated statements. What's wrong with the game, and when do you plan on fixing it.

Very unimpressed paying customer.

System is as follows:

Athlon XP 3200+
1G Corsair Value Ram (dual channel)
BFG TECH 6800 GT
Windows XP SP2 + all updates
MSI K7N2-Delta-L motherboard
60 Gb Maxtor Hard Drive
46" Samsung DLP TV attached through DVI-D
LG CDR/W 32x

Stickin it to the man I guess. I'd have to disagree that the game is a beta release, but yeah there are a few bugs that can be worked out.

I don't know if they are purposely deleteing accounts, but there is certaily something wrong with their account management system.
Last nite I installed BF2, and I was gonna register the game. I know I have an account with them. When I used the account name, the response was "account does not exist". OK so I may be mistaken, so I go create a new account using the same name. Then the response was "account already exist with this name". So I ended up not registering.

GlimmerMan said:
I don't know if they are purposely deleteing accounts, but there is certaily something wrong with their account management system.
Last nite I installed BF2, and I was gonna register the game. I know I have an account with them. When I used the account name, the response was "account does not exist". OK so I may be mistaken, so I go create a new account using the same name. Then the response was "account already exist with this name". So I ended up not registering.
I had the same problems with the BF2 Demo, I also got errors that my E-Mail account already was registered, but I could not get it to send me my login info. I was forced to create a new E-Mail account just so I could play the demo. They definatly need to get those bugs worked out if they are going to continue to require accounts be set up to play there games. It is a major pain.

well have you ever heard of asking politely.
that was pretty much a rip at them the entire email.
cut some slack first of all and ask in a better way.

ie: ive also noticed there is no widescreen support, will this be coming out in the next patch release

also, I require answers, not pre-generated statements... people take requests, not answers.

if i had to deal with 1000's of dick emails a day i would write down the problems theyre having and work on it, i sure as hell wouldnt respond cause who want to talk to a jerk.
learn some manners even if you are pissed of at them and ask again. youd be suprised at the much better responses youll get

bealzz said:

ie: ive also noticed there is no widescreen support, will this be coming out in the next patch release

also, I require answers, not pre-generated statements... people take requests, not answers.

if i had to deal with 1000's of dick emails a day i would write down the problems theyre having and work on it, i sure as hell wouldnt respond cause who want to talk to a jerk.
learn some manners even if you are pissed of at them and ask again. youd be suprised at the much better responses youll get
I've worked support before, its not the customers "job" to write nice emails, its the support persons job to respond to them if they included ANY issues, and answer them in full. His email to them is not a rip, its obvious frustration, and any good support person would see that.

If his email was "OMFG! WTF! WHY DO YUO ALL HAVE TO RELEASE TEH SUCK!" they'd have deleted it more than likely or sent a general apology.

If EA deleted his account, thats just flat out shit for customer service, and theres no excuse. He has right to be angry if this was the case, and I would do the same. In fact, if he wants to get more attention on this, my recommended course of action is:

1. Call their customer service directly.
2. Register another support account, include information about your first account and all the detail of what happend
3. Don't take "i'm sorry, it'll never happen" as an answer, demand to speak with someone higher than the average support person so you can escalate the issue to the point of actually being noticed.

Email support is dodgy as most people behind the keyboards can just delete the message and say "oops", where as on the phone its direct and theres no getting out of it cept for hanging up (which in most cases is caught and there is punishment for it.)

I get random crashes too, their sound system constantly gives me anomalies (and my sound card is built around their fkn technology), and i keep getting lag issues that don't exist. Thats the short list of technical problems i have with the game heh.

bealzz said:

Im sorry who is acting like the jerk here ? The ones selling beta products as retail?, or the one calling them on it ? My half of the deal was completed when I purchased the product. They did not come through on there half as the product is unplayable for myself and many others.

If I would have emailed them politely they would have given me some BS like "make sure you have downloaded the newest drivers."

If you just take a look at the number of threads here, on widescreengamingforum and avsfourms you wil notice there are about 3 - 4 threads on the front page of each of these boards with multiple people detailing issues they have with the product.

you should send then another, but this time bitch about how their support sucks and how some anonymous nobody will never buy their products again.

Ask them if they have ever even heard of email and then demand that they give you answers as to why you can't access your account.

And smartass comments from an "anonymous nobody" on this forum somehow carry more weight ? :rolleyes:

yay! another disgruntled gamer.

so you're bitching about two things, and you totally jump from one to the other.

if you'd like a better responce I'd do two things.

1) call tech support, email support is much easier to ignore, and obviously their system is not up to par yet.
2) make a LIST of your issues. your email to them went from your errors, to a lack of widescreen support and back to the errors.

and to top it off, you WERE rude in the email. It doesn't matter if you have the "right" to be rude, or you feel that you've been horribly wronged, being respectful to others will get you a long way. Honest.

and really, since when is a lack of widescreen support something to bitch and moan over as you are? You act like they made an FPS w/o mouse support or something. I'd stick to the major problems, being that the game does not work for you, not a feature that you want which isn't there.

if you really wanted answers you wouldn't have sent your question via email. You would have actually called. Also, how are able to say that they deleted your account on purpose? Errors do occur in technology, as the whole point of this discussion proves.

Lack of widescreen support is a big deal as I have my comp hooked up to my 46' DLP and the highest resolution I get is 1024x768. That is why it is a big deal, because 1024x768 with a 6800 is unacceptable, especially since I can play HL2 and Doom2 at 1920x1080 just fine.

In the email I sent I made two distinct points. Im sorry if you have ADHD or some other form of attention disorder where two points horribly confuses you. Most people can handle up to three distinct tasks at once, and when you have an email to refer back to, two points is not a whole lot to understand.

Have you ever tried to phone EAs technical support? Im not waiting on hold for over an hour just to get some pre generated responce by someone sitting at a phone, as a summer job, who really has no clue, as to any technical aspect for BF2.

sweet. now you're starting the insults. kind of early for that isn't it bonkro?

no, i haven't tried to phone EA's support line. But it's probably better than their email, considering you GET a responce from the phone. put the phone on loud speaker and do your other things, you can multitask too, can't you? Than when you get to a real person demand a manager / superior. In your email you demanded something more than just a scripted responce, so why don't you do the same over phone? OR do you lack the balls to talk to a real person as you're speaking over email?

yes, you did make two distinct points, but you STILL jumped all over the place, all while throwing in unneeded remarks. do you want a cookie for being able to read your own comments the way you meant them?

edit: also, why are you upset about widescreen when you could have easily checked to see if the game had widescreen support, than made your decision based on that? Just because YOU have a kick ass gaming setup with a huge TV does not mean they HAVE to cater to your specific setup. Nor does it not being in there and it being a modern game excuse your inability to check if your system was compatible in the ways you wanted, before buying it.

Did you also stop to think that maybe it was not included because of the possible advantage it gives those playing widescreen vs those not?

I work IT support, and receive both phone and email requests for support. When someone is genuinely polite, I try and fall over backwards to help them. When someone contacts me and is clearly a dick, I still attempt to resolve their problem (it is my job) but at the same time I'm not really giving a damn if I help them or not. By being polite to support technicians, who receive thousands of calls and emails a week, you're far more likely to have a positive experience with tech support.

Oh, and on another note, there is a damn good reason why tech support usually has a script that they make you walk through. 99% of all problems are resolved by those scripts, and even where your problem isn't resolved you've given valuable information to the Tier2 and 3 support technician that may take your call. It's important to go through the scripts, and saying that you're not going to put up with the usual response is ignoring the fact that the people that developed the scripts did so for a damn good reason. Yes, it means you have to hop through a couple extra hoops, but deal with it.

DamienThorn said:
I work IT support, and receive both phone and email requests for support. When someone is genuinely polite, I try and fall over backwards to help them. When someone contacts me and is clearly a dick, I still attempt to resolve their problem (it is my job) but at the same time I'm not really giving a damn if I help them or not. By being polite to support technicians, who receive thousands of calls and emails a week, you're far more likely to have a positive experience with tech support.

Oh, and on another note, there is a damn good reason why tech support usually has a script that they make you walk through. 99% of all problems are resolved by those scripts, and even where your problem isn't resolved you've given valuable information to the Tier2 and 3 support technician that may take your call. It's important to go through the scripts, and saying that you're not going to put up with the usual response is ignoring the fact that the people that developed the scripts did so for a damn good reason. Yes, it means you have to hop through a couple extra hoops, but deal with it.
while i don't work IT support, those were my thoughts exactly

While they should have made higher resolutions available from the start, there's an easy little hack to run other resolutions

make the target of your shortcut read
"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050

assuming you installed it to the default directory

When someone is genuinely polite, I try and fall over backwards to help them. When someone contacts me and is clearly a dick, I still attempt to resolve their problem (it is my job) but at the same time I'm not really giving a damn if I help them or not. By being polite to support technicians, who receive thousands of calls and emails a week, you're far more likely to have a positive experience with tech support.
i usually attempt to be polite to people on the phone, but sometimes it can be a tad difficult. i understand that my problem is not the fault at the person at the other end of the phone - but if the experience is bad enough is it my duty to remain calm?

being rude can sometimes be the only way to accomplish something over the phone. back in 2000 i had an issue with a failed hard drive that went something like this:

(after waiting on the phone for an hour)
me: my hard drive is dead. please fix.
tech: please try restarting your computer and see if that fixes the problem
me: i did that the last time i called. i gave you the reference number - can't you check the status?
tech: please try to work with me here. i need you to restart your computer
me: um... it won't start at all and my hd makes funny noises when i power it up.
tech: i can't help you then, please call this number and speak to someone else
me: ...

(after waiting on hold for another hour)
tech2: please restart your computer
me: it. doesn't. start.
tech2: i am just doing my job! jeeze!
me: sorry, i am a litte frustrated. could you send me a new one?
tech2: i can't authorize that. i'll update the status of this problem and transfer you to someone who can help you.

(wait another hour)
tech3: please restart your computer.
me: YOU BASTARDS I'll KILL YOU ALL
tech3: wtf?
me: *click*

the only way i eventually got it fixed was by being a complete asshole and demanding to speak to their supervisors. i got transfered back and forth but eventually they got so tired of listening to me they send a new HDD.

What exactly were you expecting from a tech support guy? Their job is to give you answers to problems, not to tell you why they think widescreen would give people an (arguably) unfair advantage over people with 4:3 monitors, and thus left it out of the game. Why? Because it wasn't their decision.

They've got enough real bugs to think about fixing, and stupid stuff like this only helps prevent them from being fixed. Thanks.

Oh please, just because you dont think the bug is important does not mean it isn't. I will say again ... The highest resolution I can get on my 46" dlp is 1024x768, THAT IS A BUG !!!

There is no unfair advantage when having widescreen, geez that is like saying people with low end cards who turn all lighting down to low have an unfair advantage because there opponents cant hide in shadows. If it was such a huge advantage, then why did they support true widescreen in BF1942?

Widescreen support is a no brainer these days, and for a company to not include it, just goes to show hoe rushed and poorly coded the game really is.

Why is that the customer always has to be 100% nice no matter what when dealing with a company that has screwed them over. Everyone on this forum thinks that everyone who gets mad is a fucking asshole that deserves what he gets. EA deleted his email and its his fault? Fuck no. They should have just addressed his problems regardless of the tone of his email and focused on his problems.

I dont see where everyone thinks he was being a dickhead in his email. He is tired of the 20 generic emails answers you get before they begin to care and told them he didnt want to hear them. How is that being a dickhead?

Being nice only gets you shit on and scewed over even more because they know that you wont do shit about it.

Its like saying if you buy a $8000 plasma TV from Circuit City and you get it home it doesnt work to be the nicest person in the world when Circuit City employees wont give you the time of day or tell you to contact the manufacturer instead. Id would be livid. The price of the product shouldnt determine the level of support you get.

bonkrowave said:
Oh please, just because you dont think the bug is important does not mean it isn't. I will say again ... The highest resolution I can get on my 46" dlp is 1024x768, THAT IS A BUG !!!

There is no unfair advantage when having widescreen, geez that is like saying people with low end cards who turn all lighting down to low have an unfair advantage because there opponents cant hide in shadows. If it was such a huge advantage, then why did they support true widescreen in BF1942?

Widescreen support is a no brainer these days, and for a company to not include it, just goes to show hoe rushed and poorly coded the game really is.

Actually with true widescreen you do see more of the screen than those with 4:3 aspect ratio.

But I do agree with you that in this day and age there is no excuse for developers to not have widescreen in their games when the big push today is for widescreen tv's. I bet its still another 5 to 10 years before developers even consider adding that. I would like to give kudos to Valve for putting it in HL2. The only game I own that truly supports widescreen gaming.

After reading your email and your statements here, I would have deleted your account too. You have valid points, but being a dick about them won't get them solved. :rolleyes:

After reading through the thread and seeing you guys rip on him for ripping on EA I had to say something.

You know what? A company has no business deleting accounts just because the person was rude. That's just running away from the prob.

If that actually was the case of course.

d34dly said:
After reading through the thread and seeing you guys rip on him for ripping on EA I had to say something.

You know what? A company has no business deleting accounts just because the person was rude. That's just running away from the prob.

If that actually was the case of course.

I completely agree, they shouldn't have. That said, I know just how tempting it is to hit the delete key, and ignore just one bitchy user whom is already coming at with pissed off, and as soon as you start the stock responses, or help them according to procedure, only gets more verbally aggressive. People that are paid $10 or less an hour to do routine tech support don't need or deserve that kind of shit, and shouldn't have to be on the receiving end of it. Period. If you've got a major grief, contact DICE, or try and get ahold of the email where complaints are sent to, but don't be a pain to the tech support guys. They're trying to do their job, and dicks don't make a poorly paying job any easier or enjoyable. Again, if you act decently to most people working at tech support they're more than willing to help you because it's a breath of fresh air - most IT support people receive about 5 pissed off calls to 1 pleasant call. Take a guess who they REALLY try to help.

I just talked to a friend who was reading an interview with DICE and found that they said they had no plans of implementing bots in to multiplayer because they want people to play with others... wtf, I bought the game to play it how I want to play it

I don't know the date of the interview or the source though

bonkrowave said:

BF2 != BF1942.

with that said, as developers they are not obligated to put in every single feature of BF1942.

Also, maybe they found out through 1942 that it was a big advantage and decided it best to pull it.

Maybe even still, they did get lazy and not include it because they didn' feel like it. But that I HIGHLY doubt. A game of this caliber things aren't just "left out" for no good reason.

How is 1024x768 on your DLP a bug? I really don't see it. A bug would be something like it giving you the option of more and it just flat out not working. I don't own the game, so i can't check, nor do i have a TV to display it on, but from the sounds of it you just don't have the option of any higher resolution. So why is that a bug? It's an ommision of features perhaps, but not a bug.

Oh and BoogerBomb: Being nice does not equal being respectful of others. You only get shat on when you are a pushover.

I actually got a GameSpy 'lost password" response, about 2 days later :)
good thing i had it written down somewhere

NickTheNut said:
How is 1024x768 on your DLP a bug? I really don't see it.

Its pretty simple really, the set is capable of much higher resolutions such as 1280x720 and 1920x1080, which every other game supports, and it does not allow me to accept these resolutions, either through the ingame menus, .con file edits, or addition of strings to the target in the shortcut menu.

People on 4:3 sets are able to get much higher resolutions as are some people with widescreen monitors.

Whats so hard to understand about that ?

so, in the ingame menu you can actually select a higher resolution, but it just won't register those changes?

if THAT'S the case, than I will agree that is a bug. But if they simply aren't there, than how can it be a bug? Unless it's specified in spec docs that it can and should support higher.

but editing a .conf file does not mean it should do what you say. That is hardly a bug.

Topher said:
for the third time now...
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027857477&postcount=15
replace 1680 with your horizontal resolution and 1050 with your verticle

no it's not available in the menu, yes higher resolutions like 1600x1200 should have been in there as that's still a 4:3 resolution

quit complaining about a fix that I've already told you about and is easily done

But, but, complaining is so much easier than editting a text file! :p

lol it's not even that hard, but note you have to use that shortcut, if you pop your disk in and click play on the autoplay then it won't work

you might be able to get it to work but it's not worth the hassle

I have posted it in other threads but failed to post it here. No combination of editing the .con files (yes even the correct one in my documents), adding strings to the target line of the BF2 shortcut, or driver version solved he problem.

And to those who supplied the string for the shortcut, that is not true widescreen. It is just a 4:3 ratio stretched with the top and bottom chopped off.

But thanks for the smartass comments. :rolleyes:

Back