EA Crowned Worst Company In America

Depends on your perspective. If you're judging a company based on its direct dealings with you, a lot of those 'bad' companies people have a thing against go away. It is the 'consumerist' and not the 'corporate watchdog'. So based off of the end consumer's position, who is worse? Some of the companies that are worse from some perspectives fall off because the consumer doesn't see the negativity, because there is none for them or the negativity for them isn't obvious.

Some of the people on their high horse because they have an agenda and want this survey to align with their purposes. Which I don't think is any better than people who answered the survey from a self-centered perspective.

Called it. Internet nerds voted. Not people that care about the economy. No brainer.

Sampling bias anyone? People (such as EA itself) act like this internet poll has any validity just because the publication behind it is well-known.

I seriously don't have all this EA hate, I have tons of EA games from over the years and they never give me any problems. Plus, I don't buy any game after release, to avoid these issues. Also, EA publishes great games.

First world problems.

Sad indictment of anyone who voted an entertainment company as being the worst. Narrow minded basement dwellers.

Monsanto, Pfizer, Blackwater, McDonalds, Tysons, tobacco companies the list goes on...

EA is the worst game company,but to win the overall worst business a company should have a truly negative impact on the public. Personally I think Congress belongs on the list.

Yea, you wouldn't even need the bracket then because they would win it hands down. The government is by far the worst for the country, they effect everyone and cause these "terrible companies" to get away with what they do anyway (if that make any sense).

The inherent flaw with this poll is that the people drawn to the consumerist and vote are going to be techies/gamers, so BoA or any other company that deserves the crown, didn't get it.

The poll should of only included tech/gaming companies.

Although I love to hate EA, I voted for BofA. Horrible banking far outrules a gaming publisher that can't get their PR straight.

Have a separate one altogether for entertainment. EA would still come out on top.
Worst Entertainment Company in America isn't on the same level as Worst "Overall" Company in America.
People hate who they hate. To keep certain company's off that list for ANY reason makes your point invalid. Now, to keep people from complaining they could separate them by categories but the point still stands.

You last sentence is my point, but I didn't spell it out for you.

I voted for EA just to piss off some of you in this thread...you know who you are. :p

How is Monsanto not #1 for the next 50 years by default?

because their PR department and lobbyists shit money.

EA is a shit company, but at least they aren't a shit company with shell companies, an army of lobbyists, and a desire to not let people know what they are up to.

EA *thinks* people will love every decision they make, Monsanto knows that people won't and makes sure to cover itself.

Congrats to EA for beating some stiff competition this year in the Worst Company in America contest. The company has released a statement, or should I say acceptance speech:

news from the future? WCIA voting isn't finished yet?

and I do think EA is worse than BoA as far as consumer relations because you can choose to bank with someone else... if you choose to buy someone else games, well, EA will probably buy them up and destroy all their franchises

There's probably also a proximity bias because EA just pooped out a big, fat glob of SimCity all over people's hopes and dreams.

It's been a few years since BoA got any news time about "accidentally" foreclosing on houses they didn't have mortgages for or contributing to the collapse of our economy, and Comcast hate dies down unless they're pushing other Telcos out of a market or you've had to call their customer support line in the past month (that thought makes me nauseous).

EA gets "worst company" honors here because of the slice of the consumer market the survey is getting and because they are the one company that manages to crap all over your enjoyment. After you're done wanting to kill yourself having to deal with BoA and Comcast, you try to fire up SimCity and EA ruins it for you.

Most people I know get the most angry when something simple that's just supposed to work malfunctions. They expect to have to deal with BS at work and when they have to call the cable company, but when their video games give them a hard time, they lose it.

In 1994 I started a Boatman's checking account, then it became Nations and now it's been Bank of America for years. I still have that checking account. I use and interact with BoA way more than I have with EA.

If you ask me which I think is worse based on my use of their services EA wins hands down. BoA's website is very good for paying bills and managing accounts. EA's origin is horrible and being forced to use the service just makes me hate the whole situation even more.

After Spore, SW:TOR and now SimCity I'm done buying anything with an EA name on it. Not even considering BF4 just being it's on origin.

Are they the worst company? No, clearly not. There are far worse companies that do far more damage.

However, Are they in complete Denial of how badly their target demographic hates how they operate? Yes..yes they are.

Ridiculous. I hate EA, but there are FAR worse companies in this country.

Exxon Mobile comes to mind. Haliburton is likely the most evil corporation I can personally think of.

But EA's biggest cock up happened very close to when this entire poll started so recent memory is stronger for most people make it easier to vote for EA.

Either way , regardless how they spin it , this is always a bad thing. Regardless of the hate EA deserves , as a business right now I'm sure they are taking in all this dislike and taking it seriously.

If EA expects to survive its going to have to change its attitude and corporate mind set about DRM in general and DLC. Saying shit like "every game must have DLC and MP" is just going to slowly kill them off.

fucking scumbags. People aren't even asking that much from them. Let the devs finish their fucking games when they're done and keep DRM to a minimum.

Since BP only effected like 1% of the American population that actively votes in a poll like this, why wouldn't EA be voted worse? Now the PR guy is insulting the intelligence of people like us who took part in the poll, as if they were randomly chosen. assholes, reminds me of that stuck up girl in highschool no one wanted to date but damn she looked good.

Exxon Mobile comes to mind. Haliburton is likely the most evil corporation I can personally think of.

I guess the point is that though EA may not be as big and powerful as those other companies, their heart and soul is set in exactly the same way. If Exxon Mobile is the mafia Kingpin, then EA is the high school bully. They think exactly alike, just operate on different levels.

If EA could they would.

EA shouldn't be so dismissive of this.
What a shame. This could have been a learning experience...

Monsanto shouldn't be on this particular list, as they are not the worst company. Now, had you said most evil and vile company ever to be formed on this planet or others...well, then you'd have something there.

BTW, EA the worst? This isn't exactly news, it's more like common knowledge :D

Ridiculous. I hate EA, but there are FAR worse companies in this country.

There are far worse companies, yes. But this poll is about companies that the consumerist readers hate. Most "consumers" hate certain companies because at some point, they were wronged by that company. Hence why they read their website.

Surely, we could have a poll about Blackwater, Halliburton, Monsanto, BP, etc .. but the fact is, their readers don't know much about them.

Nice to see Moore regurgled the same line from last year. They had a HUGE opportunity to get some decent PR from this with a well written press release. Something along the lines of "We'll look into fixing it".

Also, on that thought. I wouldn't mind seeing them expand the bracket to having semi-finals in industries, find the worse (so they can be crowned the worst in their industry) and then they get rebracketed into the catch-all bracket for EA's title.

IE:

Video Game Industry (EA, Activision, Valve, etc.)
Retail Industry (Walmart, etc)
Banking Industry (Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc)
Technology Industry (Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, etc)
Oil Industry (BP, Exxon, etc)

Shit .. let's expand this to have a bracket of worst politicians! That'd be epic fun. The winner get's a petition on the whitehouse site so that they have to respond to that politician being crowned the worst, lol.

They make crappy games, force you to use their online services that suck, and worst of all gobble up and destroy all the best developers. I notice the statement didn't cover those reasons.

Because they had a new law passed and signed by Obama that they cant be put in any negative light ;) ;) and %99 of the American people are clueless sheeples who will just go on eating their GMO food filled with toxins and not care.

Because they had a new law passed and signed by Obama that they cant be put in any negative light ;) ;) and %99 of the American people are clueless sheeples who will just go on eating their GMO food filled with toxins and not care.

Hah. Was about to post something exactly along these lines.

The worst companies in America are the ones making Americans sick. Many people are clueless to the big pharma / food industries hold on the nations health. Who actually owns and controls 90% of the food out there is less than 3-4 companies.

They spent 40 million US fighting a bill that proposed a required GMO label.

40 Fricking million US dollars. I have no idea who these companies are, and do no intend to do the research. But what i've heard from a friend of a friend ( don't take this too seriously ) is that a lot of the food industry is controlled by the same people controlling the oil industry etc.

These are the true worst companies in America, but maybe 0.5% of the country will ever hear / be enlightened of their existence.

Hah. Was about to post something exactly along these lines.

The worst companies in America are the ones making Americans sick. Many people are clueless to the big pharma / food industries hold on the nations health. Who actually owns and controls 90% of the food out there is less than 3-4 companies.

They spent 40 million US fighting a bill that proposed a required GMO label.

40 Fricking million US dollars. I have no idea who these companies are, and do no intend to do the research. But what i've heard from a friend of a friend ( don't take this too seriously ) is that a lot of the food industry is controlled by the same people controlling the oil industry etc.

These are the true worst companies in America, but maybe 0.5% of the country will ever hear / be enlightened of their existence.

to a degree he is right, the upper echelons of those companies have a lot of crossover due to how shareholding/lobbying/revolving door politics etc work. so yeah there is a lot of connection there.

and yeah there is some shady shit going down with that stuff.

Because the people that vote on this BS are about as uneducated as they come.

Yup. Most kids voting in this poll were either born after or have forgotten about the shit that Monsanto, Dow, and other companies pulled that killed people.

EA? I think the #1 should be Ubi Soft. Oh wait they are a french company. Yeah, EA is the worst, lol.

Their attitude was so dismissive. It's like Stalin saying, "hey, at least I'm not Lucifer".

Yea, EA isn't as evil as Monsanto or Haliburton, however that doesn't mean that they still aren't really really evil.

Because EA deals directly with the public and doesn't pay off politicians. Unless you work in the Agricultural industry or learn about our food supply, you wont know who and how fucked, Monsanto is.

Yup. Most kids voting in this poll were either born after or have forgotten about the shit that Monsanto, Dow, and other companies pulled that killed people.

Most employees involved in those events are now gone or deceased. Why should someone continue to hold that against a company in a consumer opinion survey about the worst company of the year 2013? That's not at all relevant and is a misunderstanding of the survey's context and point.

EA? I think the #1 should be Ubi Soft. Oh wait they are a french company. Yeah, EA is the worst, lol.

Yesterday I had a spare hour so I though, ok ill do some of AC2...

Load/login to Steam, click play...

Hello Uplay!

Updating Uplay...

Login to Uplay... Erm...

Reset account... 3 capchas...

Wait for email...

Login to Uplay...

ok, so apparently I have no games on my Uplay account, though I have "achievements" for several games...

Close Uplay...

open Uplay...

Updating...

Games tab...

Updating...

Hey look I have games again!!!

Click launch...

Updating...

Failed...

Retry...

Updating...

Launch game...

Play for 15 minutes...

Close...

notice I hit the Afterburner record button and have a 577gb film file... :D

If I had pirated it...

Click exe, play...

Once again, because some apparently brain-dead people in here seem to think otherwise:

MONSANTO WAS NOT EVEN ON THE LIST

You can complain all you want about Monsanto and how evil it is and whatever but it wasn't even in the fucking list of options. Write an email to The Consumerist and bitch about it not being included if it's that important to you.

Once again, because some apparently brain-dead people in here seem to think otherwise:

MONSANTO WAS NOT EVEN ON THE LIST

You can complain all you want about Monsanto and how evil it is and whatever but it wasn't even in the fucking list of options. Write an email to The Consumerist and bitch about it not being included if it's that important to you.

No one thought Monsanto was on the list.

But the people voting for EA really are handicapped, no matter how much you hate them. Its pretty pathetic. I dont care if the other companies havent come up to you and said fuck you personally. These other companies are destroying lives and a company that makes less than perfect games is the worst company in America? Good grief. Please die!

Back