EA: Consumers 'enjoying and embracing' microtransactions

Where does the notion that gamers "enjoy" micro-transactions coming from? All I see is someone pulling garbage out of their ass with no data to back it up.

At first I thought that might be a cue that EA is going F2P in the future, then I remembered Dead Space 3 and realize they are going to charge the usual price and still add microtranstaction to all their future titles.

At first I thought that might be a cue that EA is going F2P in the future, then I remembered Dead Space 3 and realize they are going to charge the usual price and still add microtranstaction to all their future titles.

pay to win is the future. i say start an internet petition but it wont work this is ea they their head so far up each-others asses that it would take a deep core driller for them just to see the light of day let alone listen to us

While I heavily dislike microtransactions, I find it disingenuous to blame EA on this. they're just one company out of many who have pushed forward microtransactions. Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Valve, Activision, etc., none of them are innocent here.

While I heavily dislike microtransactions, I find it disingenuous to blame EA on this. they're just one company out of many who have pushed forward microtransactions. Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Valve, Activision, etc., none of them are innocent here.

But...but... EA is evuuul!!

Where does the notion that gamers "enjoy" micro-transactions coming from? All I see is someone pulling garbage out of their ass with no data to back it up.

Yup. It's some laughable PR and propoganda at best.

I don't single out just EA on this, either, for this microstransaction concept.

I guess the good thing about DS3 is that it appears you don't really need the micro-transactions to get stuff, though. It's more just like a shortcut so you don't have to do the work, but you can still get everything in-game in a reasonable amount of time.

I don't have an issue with microtransactions as long as they are not pay to win, or hacked up DLC.

Microtransaction has been around for many years, it was an alternative to the subscription-based model for online games, games that you are going to spend a lot on either way. I don't have a problem with that. Games like DOTA 2, I'll never pay subscription for that so microtransaction is a viable option. Same goes for Path of Exile. Its difficult to go the subscription model path if it isn't MMORPG.

What I dislike is when you combine that into the gameplay of a game that comes with a $60 price tag. These are not online games that most of us would play for a long time. They would quickly get replaced by sequels, because that's the kind of games they are, they are not online MMO with a long lifespan.

I guess the good thing about DS3 is that it appears you don't really need the micro-transactions to get stuff, though. It's more just like a shortcut so you don't have to do the work, but you can still get everything in-game in a reasonable amount of time.
One could only hope it stays that way. I feel EA is just testing the water with this.

At least EA allowed gamers to take advantage of glitches in the recent Dead Space 3 to bypass the microtransactions.

It's marketing in action, trying to brainwash people. The more they keep saying "everyone is enjoying this new thing!!" the more the CoD-buyer-type person will want to see what all the fuss is about, and will clearly not be as adverse to purchasing some microtransactions if "everyone else is doing it and enjoying it"

One could only hope it stays that way. I feel EA is just testing the water with this.

Exactly. Once they succeed, you'll find that their newer games have fewer and fewer resources (or whatever the commodity you'd be buying with real money is) making those microtransactions more and more tempting.

Last edited:
You know, if EVERYONE and their mother could randomly say shit just because they WANT it to be true, we'd be living in a messed up world. Granted, it's kind of like that today, but you all get what I mean...where the hell do they get off randomly being able to say shit like this?

That's kind of like that shit Bungie stated the other week. What the hell is going on?

That's like me saying: EVERYONE LOVES EGGS FILLED WITH DIARRHEA! in a magazine or some shit.

I'm guessing the massive sales of micro-transactions and DLC tend to give them that impression. If people don't want EA to think they love being raped, they should stop paying them to do it.

I'm guessing the massive sales of micro-transactions and DLC tend to give them that impression. If people don't want EA to think they love being raped, they should stop paying them to do it.

Again, have there really been "massive" micro-transaction sales? There is zero data given...

For all we know they could be lying through their teeth to try to make it seem like everyone should just accept it.

My thought exactly. But in all honesty I don't mind paying $15 or so in addons vs $60 for the game brand new.

"We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level, to buy a new characters; to buy a truck or gun or whatever it might be"

tumblr_lgqhavhjU71qdsqmvo1_500.jpg

Oh wait...

In this DS3 instance it literally ruins the game for me. Yahtzee did a pretty good write up on it. It's a survival horror title. keyword survival. If you can just buy your way to a win then why bother.

I'm kind of odd though I really don't like screwing with Hardmode or easymode or what have you. I want to play a game exactly as it was meant to be played. Both difficulty and story are a factor.

I'm done with EA games until I see them go on sale for under $10 in the sales, and after DLC has been added to the total, if it rounds out to what they wanted for the full price, then I might buy it.

I may well be hurting the developer, but I'm sure as hell not supporting the publisher on this tactic.

That Jorgensen guy is completely full of it. Another BS quote:

“I think, typically, at the start of a cycle, you’ve seen the pricing raise, say, to $69 for a core piece of software. And then over the life of those, that’s drifted down to introduction price, typically now around $59. We haven’t yet set pricing on our gen 4s, but you probably see a similar trend to that during the start of the next cycle.”

When did that ever happen this cycle? Games used to be $50, then they became $60 for consoles and some PC games, and then...stayed there. There was never this initial "price hike" and then falling over time. New X360/PS3 games were $60 at console launch and new games are still $60 today.

That Jorgensen guy is completely full of it. Another BS quote:

When did that ever happen this cycle? Games used to be $50, then they became $60 for consoles and some PC games, and then...stayed there. There was never this initial "price hike" and then falling over time. New X360/PS3 games were $60 at console launch and new games are still $60 today.

But ERMAHGERD the economy and the inflation and the shareholders!

Not to say I agree, but c'mon do you really think gamers don't enjoy micro-transactions? As much as I loathe the idea gamers are the ones who accepted this hook line and sinker.

Pre-ordering, microtransactions, gold purchasing, day 1 DLC, map packs, hats, gun skins, and the list goes on are all at the feet of the modern day gamer. Who do you think purchases these things? Who do you think feeds their coffers? Do you think they offer these things because they don't make money?

You're deluding yourself. The modern day gamer is lazy, coddled, and ignorant and the game industry caters to these milk drinkers.

We used to go around and around on these forums over DRM and the above and people just are like fuck off it is my money I can do what I want with it. You give an inch and they take a mile. This will continue until people stop supporting these practices and there is no money in it for them. It is as plain and simple as that.

You told them it was ok to do so they are only doing what you gave them permission to do.

I assume by "you" you mean "gamers". However, I'm a gamer, and I've NEVER paid for micro-transactions. Not everyone is a sheep.

I'd say vote with your wallet. Don't buy products that are trying to rape you, resist the itch.

micro transactions work for a few games. dota 2's model is the best.. they're cosmetic purchases only, nothing effects gameplay. which is really nice. I have spent a lot more money then a flat fee but im okay with it cause im getting something extra other then just the game. it works for me.

other games though not so much

It was EA making the quotes... so uh, lol.

This. No ones targeting EA. They came out with yet another idiotic defense in the news about their horrid businesses practices. Smart businesses who employ micro-transactions keep it out of the news. EA literally enjoys trolling us.

pay to win is the future. i say start an internet petition but it wont work this is ea they their head so far up each-others asses that it would take a deep core driller for them just to see the light of day let alone listen to us

Wasn't there the Game Shark and Game Genie? That was pretty much pay to win.

brought to you by EA?

There is so many non EA games that use micro transaction. These EA hate threads are getting old.

I would say that your posts blindly defending EA are getting old and I bet that I'm in the majority in that regard, EA isn't the only company that does these things but they are one of the worst and they use their large market share to push their anti-consumer agenda. If they hadn't made this comment there wouldn't be a thread, so who's to blame?

Oh, and contrary to your claims Origin is much worse than it's made out to be. I installed it a couple weeks ago to check our ME3 and the interface is awful, it's buggy, and it seems to want to install everything to the Program Files(x86) directory even though I even though I installed Origin to it's own directory in the root of C:\.

It's a shame that corporate culture has taken over the game industry and shifted the focus away from making good games and towards gimmicks designed to milk the suckers.

Back