EA/Bioware suspend user's access to games for negative forum post

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by defiant007, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. defiant007

defiant007 2[H]4U

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6459941/1

Just in case the thread mysteriously disappears:

I'm sorry, but this is actually outrageous. I don't care what this guy posted in their forums, EA/Bioware have no right whatsoever to suspend a user's access to games they have paid for. It doesn't matter what they insert into their terms and conditions for posting on their forums because those agreements mean fuck all, especially in countries other than the US, and really have no bearing on something purchased pursuant to a completely unrelated contract.

This sort of shit really infuriates me, but I can see how it has come about.....we as gamers and consumers have become complacent by allowing content providers to have far too much control over the content we pay for.

2. Hornet

Hornet [H]ardness Supreme

I don't understand this part of the ToS
    So if our forum post is reported for violations, they block access to our games? What has forum post has anything to do with our games?

Hell I cannot think of any situation that warrants blocking a user from accessing a game he/she bought.

3. Redleader

Redleader 2[H]4U

I feel EA will receive a lawsuit on this one.

4. Ruiner

Ruiner 2[H]4U

It seems the answer to his question is 'yes'.

5. DITC

DITC Limp Gawd

Sold their souls to the devil, you're right about that. Or something along those lines.

6. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

Im confused. I've never had to register on any forums to play an EA/Bioware game. Is this new?

7. kledar586

kledar586 [H]ard|Gawd

I think if you wanted access to any of the DLCs you had to setup an account there, I remember doing it for Mass Effect, it was the free dlc with the asteroid thing, never did play it, never did finished that game either, I rage quit about 3/4 of the way through

8. burnin8r

burnin8r [H]ard|Gawd

you are taking this guy's word as fact. you have no idea what he did or didn't do, or how many prior violations.

9. Q-BZ

Q-BZ [H]ard as it Gets

Exactly.

On the surface, IF that's how it actually down it's an outrage.

But we need more concrete information.

10. defiant007

defiant007 2[H]4U

It does not matter one iota what he did or didn't do on a forum, on the internet or in real life. There is absolutely nothing that EA/Bioware could say which would in any way rationalise or justify suspending a user's access to legitimately paid for SP games. NOTHING. This guy could have gone and pissed on John Riccitiello's Ferrari and that would still not be a justification for suspending access to his games.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  11. Hornet

Hornet [H]ardness Supreme

What does those violations have anything to do with game access?

12. phide

phide [H]ard as it Gets

Agreed.

13. jtm55

jtm55 Gawd

Hi All
    I agree, there's no reason to deny the OP access to games that He payed for.

14. Irishllama

Irishllama [H]ard|Gawd

Watchout, if you let your voice be heard they may close your account :rolleyes:

15. evilsofa

evilsofa [H]ardForum Junkie

Regardless of what the poster did or didn't do, Bioware is on record as stating:

That is the problem, and it is a serious one.

16. spicey

spicey [H]ardness Supreme

Indeed

But if proved true it's unforgivable. Since when is voicing ones opinion a crime?

These are very worrying signs for Bioware, I really don't think they will remain the same company now under EA rule, this looks to be further evidence.

17. Ruiner

Ruiner 2[H]4U

LOL. Perhaps some fundie got his magic panties in a bunch at the mere mention of 'the devil' and hit 'report post'.

18. DeathCloud

DeathCloud Gawd

This is really sad. On a serious note what can we do as gamers to stop this?? I know dont buy their games but I hate to say it they have some really fucking good games I dont want to pass up . Besides bending over and grabbing ankles what else can we do?

19. hfk

hfk Gawd

Join the revolution. Won't be long now.

20. mongoosenco

mongoosenco [H]Lite

This seems just like a way to control the amount of negative posts. People will stop posting negative stuff if they can't play the game. That is a bunch of bull for sure. I think this will be a detriment in the long run and make people stop buying games from companies who do this kind of BS.

21. mas

mas [H]ard|Gawd

they've been doing it since spore's release. basically the way it works for certain titles is, you have to create an account for activation, and this account is tied to the forums and all your games. think of like bnet, only much shittier. this sort of activation really has much less to do with drm than setting up a walled garden, what they want is to have complete control of your goings on in "their community", and herd the sheep over to the proper outlet for ea news and propaganda.

stop giving them money for these games? I know it's hard to see a game you want to play, and pass it up just because of how they choose to market it. but thems the breaks, if you want change that's the only way.

that's exactly what it is. they did the same thing in the spore forums, anything that got tagged by mods for a ban cut you off from the game.

22. kledar586

kledar586 [H]ard|Gawd

speaking of which, can I borrow one of yall's ea log in? I have some opinion I would like to share on their board.

23. Irishllama

Irishllama [H]ard|Gawd

Quick, everyone report original post with the rules. :p

24. burnin8r

burnin8r [H]ard|Gawd

again, you have no idea what happened.

maybe you believe everything you read on the webernet. I am a skeptic, by nature.

there are infinite possibilities, way too early to be outraged without a single fact.

25. Irishllama

Irishllama [H]ard|Gawd

Are you missing the point where they have gone on record to say that you can be banned from playing?

26. PrincessFrosty

PrincessFrosty [H]ardness Supreme

I think I can safely say I won't be buying another Bioware game again, they can go sit in the naughty corner with Ubisoft and Epic.

27. Yippee38

Yippee38 [H]ard|Gawd

Actually, Bioware falling under the EA umbrella is the worrying sign. Has EA ever absorbed a company and made it better? Generally, the destroy companies the buy.

28. Neb

Neb 2[H]4U

I'm a skeptic as well, but if it's true that they have a forum system and a game login system that have share the same access database, that's facepalm worthy.

29. spicey

spicey [H]ardness Supreme

That's what I meant!

30. Dextar

Dextar Gawd

It doesn't matter what you post on a forum, they should never be allowed to remove access to your games that you paid for. I can understand restricting the account from multiplayer for cheating and from posting on forums/community site but removing all access to a game you paid for is bullshit, plain and simple. No other facts are needed.

31. Ruiner

Ruiner 2[H]4U

It's a functional glitch really....having common user id's between social forums and login for DLC.

32. Shalafi

Shalafi Consigliere

Fuck you EA/Bioware, I am glad I didn't give you jackals $60 for your mediocre rushed Dragon Age 2 garbage.

Shit like this is pretty much ensuring I won't purchase another EA/Bioware game untill this is made right, and even then, I might say FUCK YOU instead of buying your game.

33. burnin8r

burnin8r [H]ard|Gawd

suspended.

not banned.

those devils!

34. ikarinokami

ikarinokami Gawd

are you seriously trying to lessen EA's outrageous, arbitary and capricious behavior? I would sue the crap out of EA on principal alone.

35. Shalafi

Shalafi Consigliere

he was banned, he CANNOT access his game or DLC's

36. Ryom

Ryom [H]ard|Gawd

And that was a really dumb thing to suspend someone's account over as well. If he was spamming goat_se posts all over the place, sure... suspend the account. Voicing his opinion of their publisher in a critical but non-trolling way? No.

37. Parmenides

Parmenides [H]ardness Supreme

Will MMO's ban your game for forum posts? If so, it shows what EA thinks of single player games. (aside from the general atrocity of taking away what you purchased)

38. michael.pa2

michael.pa2 2[H]4U

There's simply no way to defend this. If they want to ban someone from their forum for criticizing them that's their right,even if it makes them look like total asses. But denying a user access to a game he payed for? Definitely lawsuit material.

39. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

because legally we don't own the game and they can bloody well do what ever they want. only way of stopping this bullcrap is forcing copyright laws to be changed which will never happen in any of our life times.

wrong. theres no legal backing for a lawsuit. copyright law states that you can't own the game even though you payed for it. the only thing you legally own is the CD-key that comes with the game. which game developers found a loop hole in the rule by forcing you to register it to an account that can't be transferable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.