EA Announces Project Atlas Cloud Gaming Initiative

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Hot on the heels of Microsoft's xCloud announcement, EA formally announced their own cloud gaming project. According to EA, "Project Atlas" is more than just a streaming initiative, and already involves over 1000 EA employees. In addition to streaming to multiple devices, EA wants to use the platform to make games where "thousands of players could compete on a single map hundreds or thousands of kilometers wide," as opposed to smaller instances most games use now. As any company the size of EA is obligated to do, they also want to use AI to "Unlock Creativity", and claims that their online ecosystem could "democratize the game experience" and be even be friendly to modders. Interestingly, EA acknowledges that many aspects of their dreams already exist in other games, but the company seems to think that integrating everything into a single platform will free up dev time to focus on other tasks, and eliminate redundancy.

There is so much already underway to bring Project Atlas to life, and we're going to make sure this thing is forged from fire. EA is home to dozens of world-class studios and technology teams, with some of the best creative and technical minds in the entire industry, and they are our secret sauce. The entire company is locked arm-in-arm envisioning, building, testing and deploying the tools in development everyday. Believe me, this is a set of partners with very high expectations and we don't want them to hold back. They pressure test what we create, and make it better. As we increasingly work with partners outside of EA to make the platform better, we also look to them to share and exchange insights and ensure that the platform we're building meets their needs. And as always, our players will continue to serve as a guiding light, telling us what they want to see in future gaming experiences.

NBA2k19 on a 1000km wide court... I'm in! :D

But seriously, its a nice idea and this could be good but with EA behind it I just doubt i'll ever see it. They just don't make games that I'd consider good or more importantly fun.

Edit: It just occured to me... is this going to end up being for some kind of extreme battle royale gameplay?

this is all 100% bs, there isnt going to be any support for modders, all these companies are rabid for cloud and streaming games because it is the ultimate DRM, where you have no piece of the game actually running on your PC or thin client game system. They are lying, theres no democracy, this puts gives them the iron grip over their intellectual property that they have always craved- you cannot play last years game or buy it on sale, because they have shut it down.

NBA2k19 on a 1000km wide court... I'm in! :D

But seriously, its a nice idea and this could be good but with EA behind it I just doubt i'll ever see it. They just don't make games that I'd consider good or more importantly fun.

Edit: It just occured to me... is this going to end up being for some kind of extreme battle royale gameplay?

The first games that popped into my head were Planetside 2 (the massive player counts part) and Spore (the whole cloud/user generated content thing).

But... yeah, it'll undoubtedly be for Battle Royale :(

Lol because of your name Alpha, this seems like a self serving post

I was hoping no one would notice!

The first games that popped into my head were Planetside 2 (the massive player counts part) and Spore (the whole cloud/user generated content thing).!

I did think of PS2 but it just seemed dumb. It would be too big. Even with 100k+ players it would be mostly empty as you'd get a load of mega zergs and not much else.

this is all 100% bs, there isnt going to be any support for modders, all these companies are rabid for cloud and streaming games because it is the ultimate DRM, where you have no piece of the game actually running on your PC or thin client game system. They are lying, theres no democracy, this puts gives them the iron grip over their intellectual property that they have always craved- you cannot play last years game or buy it on sale, because they have shut it down.

Yeah I cant see any kind of mods that EA would allow that wouldn't impact potential revenue. Maybe by mods they mean user created cosmetics they can sell.

but the company seems to think that integrating everything into a single platform will free up dev time to focus on other tasks, and eliminate redundancy.

so.. they are seeing this single platform as a way to lay off workers.. give those devs time to focus on other things.. like updating their resume

good to know.

:whistle:

"democratize the game experience"
I'm not even sure what this means, but it makes me want to punch whatever sad sack of marketing said that right in their pussy hat.

I'm not even sure what this means, but it makes me want to punch whatever sad sack of marketing said that right in their pussy hat.
LMAO...i'm not even sure what that statement meant but your reaction is pure gold.....rofl

Atlas?

/shrugs

get it?

First thing I thought I read wasn't "EA Announces Project Atlas Cloud" but, "EA Announces Project Cloud Atlas", and I was thinking, "great, EA is trying to figure out how to make us play the same shitty game, over and over, for eternity. And it's going to be multiplayer."

I hope I'm not the one with all the wire embedded in my forehead, that looks ass.

Back