EA Announces Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Agreed. I'm not going to preorder, but I will probably pick it up.

Kills me that I just played through the original trilogy a few months ago.

I'll probably end up picking it up anyway and maybe start a renegade femshep playthrough.

Please, please, please let them have redone Shephard's (both male and female models) run animation in ME3. What the hell happened there? It was fine in ME2.

This is what happens when you skip out on mocap and just try to hand animate everything.

Can't tell whether this is satire or not.
Sadly no, back in the 2000’s when Steam was new I would go to my local shop to grab a game. My internet was shit and only really played single player games. But the game, open the case pop in the CD only to find it doesn’t contain the game but just a steam installer and a redemption code. Then this gradually became the normal. Fortunately I only had to deal with absolute shit internet for a year or so after that until the phone company did some upgrades. But I was strong armed into using Steam and I’m still bitter about it.

The sad thing is I like Origin more than Steam. I never liked Steam, I never wanted Steam, Steam was forced on me back in the early 2000's and I've never forgiven it.
I agree. I will always prefer physical copies. I never liked being forced to go digital. I hated how lame packaging of games is nowadays. Don't get a manual. You get a flimsy case with only a pamphlet with advertising on it. It makes me sad.

Can't tell whether this is satire or not.
I very much prefer the UI and game management in Origin over Steam, but Steam is still more functional. The store in Origin is also garbage, in my opinion. I would love it if Steam adopted the library system from Origin.

I very much prefer the UI and game management in Origin over Steam, but Steam is still more functional. The store in Origin is also garbage, in my opinion. I would love it if Steam adopted the library system from Origin.

I agree with this. I'd also add that Origin handles DLC management and purchases way better than Steam does.

I agree with this. I'd also add that Origin handles DLC management and purchases way better than Steam does.
Origin support for me has also been really good. Went to play the original Dragon age over the weekend because F-it why not? But it wouldn't install game me a crapload of errors so I contacted support because it was an email that took 3 minutes. They responded at like 2am to let me know that they just added the game and all its DLC to my origin account for my troubles and that I shouldn't encounter those problems there. I didn't and the game has not aged terribly well... So maybe it can be next in like for a remaster.

Origin support for me has also been really good. Went to play the original Dragon age over the weekend because F-it why not? But it wouldn't install game me a crapload of errors so I contacted support because it was an email that took 3 minutes. They responded at like 2am to let me know that they just added the game and all its DLC to my origin account for my troubles and that I shouldn't encounter those problems there. I didn't and the game has not aged terribly well... So maybe it can be next in like for a remaster.
And what is implied here - steam support is, well, just missing. The service normally works well, but when it doesn't - it's not unlike calling AT&T to alert them when their service goes belly-up.

For the blissfully-uninitiated, that is so very not a compliment.

Same... I've had issues with both but origin has csr's, steam just runs you around if you even get a human.

this price is kind of hard to justify considering I paid like $9 for the trilogy (sale for the ps3)

You know it costs $80 to get all of the original games and content, yes? So it's like a 25% discount if you buy the Legendary Edition over the individual games.
Yeah, but what if you already have all 3 games with all DLCs, then paying another $60 for a bit better textures doesn't seem that great of a deal all of a sudden.

this price is kind of hard to justify considering I paid like $9 for the trilogy (sale for the ps3)
Yeah, I think they put a lot of us on the fence with that price.

For someone coming in fresh, it's an unbefarkinglievable amount of entertainment / sheckle.

For the vast majority (I assume) who have played it, we are like - okay, but I've played this. Better gfx and nostalgia, yes. But... still, the same game, and I played it. Several times over, when each was released.

Yeah. ME1 is great but holy shit does it have problems, big ones. I hope they are not too literal when they said that they won't do a "full remake" becase ME1 really needs some overhauling, AT LEAST in few key areas like inventory management and combat mechanics.
They patched in the controls and combat from ME2, so I think we're good.

This. Last time I called them, I got my preorder edition restored when something went wrong. Took 10 minutes and it was fixed. Origin support is great. Just... everything is on steam...?

Yeah, I think they put a lot of us on the fence with that price.

For someone coming in fresh, it's an unbefarkinglievable amount of entertainment / sheckle.

For the vast majority (I assume) who have played it, we are like - okay, but I've played this. Better gfx and nostalgia, yes. But... still, the same game, and I played it. Several times over, when each was released.
Most people I know haven't played it, I got asked about it no less than a dozen times in the span of 5 minutes moving between 2 classes today as to "Was the game as good as people say it was" and stuff like that. So lots of highschoolers probably going to be grabbing it I suppose.

Yeah, but what if you already have all 3 games with all DLCs, then paying another $60 for a bit better textures doesn't seem that great of a deal all of a sudden.

There is more than textures. Better lighting (but in some cases it changes too much), fixed animations, newer engine version, supposedly better performance, more resolution support, UI changes. Seems like the first game got the most enhancements. I think $20 for a game with such improvements is fair. I'm sure you'll be able to grab it on discount for $45-50 soon.

The original games had many animation bugs, or places where you could get trapped in place. Here are some examples:

If they fix those issues then great.

Most people I know haven't played it, I got asked about it no less than a dozen times in the span of 5 minutes moving between 2 classes today as to "Was the game as good as people say it was" and stuff like that. So lots of highschoolers probably going to be grabbing it I suppose.
I feel this belongs in a BuzzFeed "10 Things That Make You Feel Old" clickbait article.

That said, thanks for a different perspective. And now I'll drink the night away. Or sign up for much cheaper auto insurance. Or both.

Absurd. Even in grade-school I was playing Final Fantasy II, III, Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger (PS1 wouldn't come out until Fall 95'). It just tells me that kids these days would rather play CoD than any RPG, or barely RPG (loosest possible definition of-) in the case of ME. Although the original ME came out in 2007, Trilogy releases have been done on multiple platforms in 2012 and it for sure sat on shelves for a few years after that.

Absurd. Even in grade-school I was playing Final Fantasy II, III, Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger (PS1 wouldn't come out until Fall 95'). It just tells me that kids these days would rather play CoD than any RPG, or barely RPG (loosest possible definition of-) in the case of ME. Although the original ME came out in 2007, Trilogy releases have been done on multiple platforms in 2012 and it for sure sat on shelves for a few years after that.

Many of the people in high school were only 2-3 when the games came out. Of course they likely missed it after the hyped long died down. When you look at the sales for games like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, FF, FO, Skyrim, I think it is safe to say RPGs are doing just fine.

Many of the people in high school were only 2-3 when the games came out. Of course they likely missed it after the hyped long died down. When you look at the sales for games like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, FF, FO, Skyrim, I think it is safe to say RPGs are doing just fine.
This is also a remote area, mostly XBox kids, few now have PC’s but most of them trying to source out PS5’s and what ever MS called the new XBox.
Seriously the fact I don’t even know the name of their new console is a direct slight against their marketing department.

Many of the people in high school were only 2-3 when the games came out.
If they were 14, literally a freshmen in HS today, they'd be 6. If they're seniors they would have been 9-10. But that's ignoring legacy and more or less stating that the games ceased to exist in the past 8 years between then and now - and that isn't the case. I would simply point back to my earlier statement regarding tastes and preferences.
Again, I more or less completed Squaresoft's entire SNES library by the time I was 11-12 (Playing Final Fantasy II in 4th grade at roughly 8-9) - and that was during a time in which there was literally no hype for anything. Paper advertisements and your friend group was more or less it. There was no internet fanfare.
Of course they likely missed it after the hyped long died down. When you look at the sales for games like Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, FF, FO, Skyrim, I think it is safe to say RPGs are doing just fine.
My commentary has nothing to do with the success or lack-thereof of RPG's in general, just about a specific demographic and their preferences. If they didn't play ME and your argument is because they weren't of age, then likely none of the other titles on your list they've played either. Skyrim is 2011. Witcher 3 is 2015. Fallout is 1997, or if you mean more recent Bethesda garbage then their last title was in 2018. Saying "FF" is pretty general. But even 15 came out in 2016. Their first experience again might be ironically VII Remake.
Again, if we're positing that these kids we're all talking about are "14" then Skyrim came out when they were 5. Witcher III when they were 9. Even the latest Fallout title came out when they were 12. So if they didn't bother with the ME Trilogy re-release, I don't see why they would've bothered with any of these titles or perhaps would even have access (MA) to any of those titles.

If they were 14, literally a freshmen in HS today, they'd be 6. If they're seniors they would have been 9-10. But that's ignoring legacy and more or less stating that the games ceased to exist in the past 8 years between then and now - and that isn't the case. I would simply point back to my earlier statement regarding tastes and preferences.
Again, I more or less completed Squaresoft's entire SNES library by the time I was 11-12 (Playing Final Fantasy II in 4th grade at roughly 8-9) - and that was during a time in which there was literally no hype for anything. Paper advertisements and your friend group was more or less it. There was no internet fanfare.

My commentary has nothing to do with the success or lack-thereof of RPG's in general, just about a specific demographic and their preferences. If they didn't play ME and your argument is because they weren't of age, then likely none of the other titles on your list they've played either. Skyrim is 2011. Witcher 3 is 2015. Fallout is 1997, or if you mean more recent Bethesda garbage then their last title was in 2018. Saying "FF" is pretty general. But even 15 came out in 2016. Their first experience again might be ironically VII Remake.
Again, if we're positing that these kids we're all talking about are "14" then Skyrim came out when they were 5. Witcher III when they were 9. Even the latest Fallout title came out when they were 12. So if they didn't bother with the ME Trilogy re-release, I don't see why they would've bothered with any of these titles or perhaps would even have access (MA) to any of those titles.

Kids were and are still playing RPGs. The only reason you'll find that many young kids didn't play the ME games is because they were younger. Fact is, people tend to play the current games from within the past 5 years.

You can't conclude that FPS games are unpopular because 13 year olds have never played Half Life 1, Bioshock or Medal of Honor (insert older game here). Unless you have hard statistics saying that young kids aren't playing RPGs anymore but I'm doubting that. They're consistently the top best selling genre of games, which means they have a broad demographic appeal.

If you want to talk about genres that cater more to older people you can look to flight simulators, tank simulators, and realistic driving simulators. And tactics games. You'll still find younger kids playing those to but those ones do cater towards a more niche demographic, and the sales numbers reflect it.

I’ll try and do a blue run through. 💯 I’ll fail and end up renegade again.

Hope they’ve fixed the inventory in the first one.

I will buy, eventually. It and Bioshock remaster are on my short list. I just don't have time to play anything these days.

Ive played a lot of RPGs but mass effect just never intrigued me. Might like if i tried but was never inspired to. Last time i had time on my hands i was told to play the kotor series instead.

It's the only way I play. I love being an absolute cock in this series.

As funny as Renegade is, I always fail at playing one because I feel so bad afterwards, I get bad conscience... 😅 "Paragade" is where I usually end up as.

There is more than textures. Better lighting (but in some cases it changes too much), fixed animations, newer engine version, supposedly better performance, more resolution support, UI changes. Seems like the first game got the most enhancements. I think $20 for a game with such improvements is fair. I'm sure you'll be able to grab it on discount for $45-50 soon.

The original games had many animation bugs, or places where you could get trapped in place. Here are some examples:

If they fix those issues then great.

The fact remains that owners of the games should not be required to pay the same as those who never paid for it. This is like making you buy the car again when you take it in for a onceover.

The fact remains that owners of the games should not be required to pay the same as those who never paid for it. This is like making you buy the car again when you take it in for a onceover.
Have you somehow avoided game re-releases/remasters for the past 25 years?

All 3 ME games + DLC for $60 seems fair, considering the total cost of the original trilogy+ DLC was $200+

I'll likely wait till this christmas and get it on sale for $30-$40.

Have you somehow avoided game re-releases/remasters for the past 25 years?

All 3 ME games + DLC for $60 seems fair, considering the total cost of the original trilogy+ DLC was $200+

I'll likely wait till this christmas and get it on sale for $30-$40.
Which part of "Already own" is so hard to get?

They are making the people who already paid that $200+ pay the same for the remaster as those who never tossed a dime in the direction of the franchise.

For example in the case of Mafia2 and Mafia3 if you already had the game in your library it was converted to the definitive edition at no cost.
In case of Skyrim Special Edition, if you had the original, you could get it at a huge discount.

That's fair, this is not.

It's not about worth, it's about fairness, and not crapping on the fans who made the franchise what it is in the first place.

They are making the people who already paid that $200+ pay the same for the remaster as those who never tossed a dime in the direction of the franchise.

For example in the case of Mafia2 and Mafia3 if you already had the game in your library it was converted to the definitive edition at no cost.
In case of Skyrim Special Edition, if you had the original, you could get it at a huge discount.

It's not about worth, it's about fairness, and not crapping on the fans who made the franchise what it is in the first place.

I think this is a bit more complex than those other titles considering this is a whole trilogy the amount of DLC available and included in this remaster. I doubt most people have all of the DLC already purchased for the trilogy and that alone right now would cost more than $60 for not even half of it. I suppose if they could somehow verify you've purchased all of that DLC already, they could offer some kind of deal like that, or maybe just a discount for those who only own the core games.

But honestly, I feel that if you're one to own all ME games and DLC, you're either fine with modding those and skipping this remaster, or buying the remaster because you're a huge fan of the series anyways. I'm in the latter camp, but I only ever got a handful of the DLCs for ME2 I think. But you can always just wait for the inevitable sales as well. NBD to me either way.

You're talking to a guy who, willingly, gladly, spent full price multiple times to play old console games on a new console. Hell, I'm about to spend $60 to play Mario 3d World on Switch.

$60, for all 3 games + DLC, seems fair.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not buying it day one, as it doesn't seem worth it to me. But it's absolutely "fair."

You can still play your unremastered versions.

(Also, if I got Mafia Remastered for free, I need to give those a look... I don't recall that announcement.)

I think this is a bit more complex than those other titles considering this is a whole trilogy the amount of DLC available and included in this remaster. I doubt most people have all of the DLC already purchased for the trilogy and that alone right now would cost more than $60 for not even half of it. I suppose if they could somehow verify you've purchased all of that DLC already, they could offer some kind of deal like that, or maybe just a discount for those who only own the core games.

But honestly, I feel that if you're one to own all ME games and DLC, you're either fine with modding those and skipping this remaster, or buying the remaster because you're a huge fan of the series anyways. I'm in the latter camp, but I only ever got a handful of the DLCs for ME2 I think. But you can always just wait for the inevitable sales as well. NBD to me either way.
If only somehow they could verify if I own the DLCs, yeah, that would be good. Technical difficulties preventing them from being fair, darn it! Oh wait! .... They already verify if you own the DLCs when you launch the games.

I don't appreciate being used as a cashcow. Not because I can't afford to pay $60, but out of principle. My reward for being a loyal customer who bought every bit of content over a decade is that I can pay the same for the remaster as a newbie, I'll pass.

You're talking to a guy who, willingly, gladly, spent full price multiple times to play old console games on a new console. Hell, I'm about to spend $60 to play Mario 3d World on Switch.

$60, for all 3 games + DLC, seems fair.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not buying it day one, as it doesn't seem worth it to me. But it's absolutely "fair."

You can still play your unremastered versions.

(Also, if I got Mafia Remastered for free, I need to give those a look... I don't recall that announcement.)
I bought consoles to play one game. So you are small time. it's not about worth. It's about fan appreciation, a gesture towards loyal fans. So, that means nothing to bioware? I can understand EA not giving a damn about fans but I'd expect at least some sort of token nod for being there all these years and paying full price in their damned bioware points system for everything.

EA doesn't even think enough of its employees to likely have anyone still employed that worked on the original Mass Effect games. Bioware has been a joke for a decade.

If only somehow they could verify if I own the DLCs, yeah, that would be good. Technical difficulties preventing them from being fair, darn it! Oh wait! .... They already verify if you own the DLCs when you launch the games.

I don't appreciate being used as a cashcow. Not because I can't afford to pay $60, but out of principle. My reward for being a loyal customer who bought every bit of content over a decade is that I can pay the same for the remaster as a newbie, I'll pass.

I don't know if you're referencing DRM or what, but if all copies of the game have DRM where it checks in when you launch the game, then I guess that would be a way for them to verify you have it. I'm sorry if I wasn't aware of that or how they could use that to apply to a different game, but the smart-ass response is definitely not appreciated.

If you don't want to feel like a cash cow, then as I said, feel free to continue playing with your existing games and DLC and/or wait for a sale. This is how capitalism works and I can see how they can justify reselling the trilogy and all DLC remastered for $60 even if you can't. And I guarantee it will sell very well at $60, so I don't blame them for doing it.

Back