EA Announces Mass Effect Legendary Edition

erek

[H]F Junkie
"The Electronic Arts owned BioWare studio have recently announced the Mass Effect Legendary Edition during N7 day celebrations. The Mass Effect Legendary Edition includes a compilation of the first three Mass Effect titles released between 2007 and 2012. The remastered games have all single-player DLC and additional in-game content included. While the games will be optimized for 4K with updated textures, shaders, models, and effects they will not be receiving a full remake. Mass Effect Legendary Edition is now available for pre-order at 60 USD launching in Spring 2021 on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, with forward compatibility and targeted enhancements on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5."

https://www.techpowerup.com/274398/ea-announces-mass-effect-legendary-edition

As long as they’ve patched out the “requirement” of multiplayer to increase the “war score” or whatever it was in ME3 that could contribute to the ending, I’m interested. I don’t think I ever finished it.

edit - answered my own question, according to the ME wiki this was changed when the "extended cut" DLC came out. And since it will be included with this remaster, I guess it's good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was excited when BioWare announced it. I keep telling my partner that she'd like Mass Effect thanks to the story, but I wasn't about to dig out the DVDs and play the old X360 versions. Now, I can play them on my upcoming PS5 and do them better justice.

As long as they’ve patched out the “requirement” of multiplayer to increase the “war score” or whatever it was in ME3 that could contribute to the ending, I’m interested. I don’t think I ever finished it.

That was patched long ago in the original. It is now based on how much you have completed of the SP campaign and what decisions you had made (superficially, no matte what you did you most likely get points from something else instead).

I can finally play the third game because this is, and I wish i was joking, the first time the DLC for ME2 has ever gone on sale or been bundled with the game on PC.
(At least since I started paying attention, apparently, EARLIER THIS YEAR, it finally went on sale.)

That was patched long ago in the original. It is now based on how much you have completed of the SP campaign and what decisions you had made (superficially, no matte what you did you most likely get points from something else instead).
Sometimes we finish the game way before they patch out bad ides. Also, when the ending is umm... Lame. It makes it less likely people will go back and see what was “fixed.”

Might replay the whole thing again on this new remastered ultra legendary edition. Maybe in Andromeda the characters will actually display some emotion, stop t-posing, and not randomly bug out... Here’s hoping.

I can finally play the third game because this is, and I wish i was joking, the first time the DLC for ME2 has ever gone on sale or been bundled with the game on PC.
(At least since I started paying attention, apparently, EARLIER THIS YEAR, it finally went on sale.)
That's why it wasn't until May of this year that I finally had a chance to play through all the DLC for ME2. It finally went on sale for a decent price. It has been on sale before but the sales were pathetic. The sale price I got it for earlier this year is what it should be at normal price considering the age. They also had a good sale on ME3 and all the DLC for that so I bought those (previously played ME3 via the Origin subscription thing when I had it for a month) and finally got through all the DLC there as well.

I'm just hoping they did a good bit more than update some textures.

Sometimes we finish the game way before they patch out bad ides. Also, when the ending is umm... Lame. It makes it less likely people will go back and see what was “fixed.”

Might replay the whole thing again on this new remastered ultra legendary edition. Maybe in Andromeda the characters will actually display some emotion, stop t-posing, and not randomly bug out... Here’s hoping.
ME: Andromeda isn't included in the remaster. Only the three original games are part of it.

I finally purchased this game this year as well when it was on sale and almost being given away. I still haven't played it, though.

Well, they kinda did patch the ending too. :D Still not good but at least it had proper closure. But I know what you mean, the initial playthrough also left such a bad taste in my mouth that I did not touch the game again until the Expanded Ending came along, and a third time when Citadel came. Both extra playthroughs were worth it but it was still a far cry from ME1 and 2 which I finished about 10 times each all with different choices just to get different saves with different choice combinations to see what happens. As we now know in hindsight it turned out to be a waste of time... :oops:

I don't like this trend of rereleasing old games with slightly upgraded textures, and charging new game price. They pulled away people from actually making new games, to rehash this crap for the quick money grab. Don't reward this behavior please...

If they actually modernize ME1...that would be worth the price. Oof, ME1 did not hold up.

Yeah. ME1 is great but holy shit does it have problems, big ones. I hope they are not too literal when they said that they won't do a "full remake" becase ME1 really needs some overhauling, AT LEAST in few key areas like inventory management and combat mechanics.

I don't like this trend of rereleasing old games with slightly upgraded textures, and charging new game price. They pulled away people from actually making new games, to rehash this crap for the quick money grab. Don't reward this behavior please...
BioWare is also making a brand new Mass Effect title. Developers can walk and chew gum at the same time, you know — it's not necessarily a case of losing team members.

And besides, the simple reality is that many of us do want to replay early Mass Effect games, but can't because we either don't have the original consoles anymore or don't have an Xbox One/Series X for backward compatibility. I don't think it hurts anyone to keep those titles alive.

I've seen some people hoping they redid or removed the Mako parts, but I don't think they're doing anything more than improving the textures. I never had that much trouble with the Mako. I'm good with just the texture improvements and look forward to playing through it in the Spring.

Yeah they did, it's now based on completion and blah blah blah.

OK, both of these two posts are inaccurate. It was NEVER a requirement that you do the multiplayer to get the necessary effective military strength or whatever it was called to get the more complete of the shitty endings. However, if you didn't do any of the multiplayer, you had to have 100% completion of the game with certain decisions having been made to get that score to the necessary threshold. I believe it was 5,000 points out a possible 10,000. That being said, the many DLC's that were added after the fact contributed to this value allowing you to skip a few things and still achieve the desired result.

OK, both of these two posts are inaccurate. It was NEVER a requirement that you do the multiplayer to get the necessary effective military strength or whatever it was called to get the more complete of the shitty endings. However, if you didn't do any of the multiplayer, you had to have 100% completion of the game with certain decisions having been made to get that score to the necessary threshold. I believe it was 5,000 points out a possible 10,000. That being said, the many DLC's that were added after the fact contributed to this value allowing you to skip a few things and still achieve the desired result.

Yes, this was why I said "requirement" in quotes - I acknowledge that it wasn't literally required.

You're right - it was just something you had to do if you wanted to get the "best" ending without reading a walkthrough before every single conversation. (and once the MP player base faded away, they didn't put skirmishes against bots or whatever in there to fill the gap, leaving "follow a walkthrough to the letter" your only real option anyways).

Westwood ha! On news of this release I went back and read through some ME related stuff and was surprised to find how many people thought of it as a sci-fi dating sim and not an action RPG.

Yes, this was why I said "requirement" in quotes - I acknowledge that it wasn't literally required.

You're right - it was just something you had to do if you wanted to get the "best" ending without reading a walkthrough before every single conversation. (and once the MP player base faded away, they didn't put skirmishes against bots or whatever in there to fill the gap, leaving "follow a walkthrough to the letter" your only real option anyways).

You didn't even need to do that. That's what I'm saying. You could ALWAYS get the "best ending" without doing multiplayer at all. You just had to effectively do every last mission in the game to get your score high enough, but multiplayer wasn't necessary from day one for the purpose of achieving the "best ending."

Which one has the red head? ME2? I played that entire game just to get her to sit on my face. Instead, it ended with her giving me a hug. 17 years old all over again.

That's Kelly from Mass Effect 2.

Which one has the red head? ME2? I played that entire game just to get her to sit on my face. Instead, it ended with her giving me a hug. 17 years old all over again.
This is why we can't have nice things.

You didn't even need to do that. That's what I'm saying. You could ALWAYS get the "best ending" without doing multiplayer at all. You just had to effectively do every last mission in the game to get your score high enough, but multiplayer wasn't necessary from day one for the purpose of achieving the "best ending."

Look, I am out of date on my ME3 because I tried playing it before the extended cut and everything else came out. So according to the info on the ME wiki, relevant bits in bold and blue:

https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/War_Assets

Participation in Galaxy at War is encouraged to maximize the Military Strength given by each War Asset, as playing single-player alone will limit EMS by 50%, or half, of the overall War Assets score the player has acquired. There are 8370 total War Assets available in the game without downloadable content, but this number cannot be reached as it includes War Assets that are restricted to specific outcomes of player decisions, including saving Kaidan Alenko or Ashley Williams, saving or sacrificing the Citadel Council, and spreading or sabotaging the genophage cure. As such, the highest obtainable War Assets score is approximately 7500. If the multiplayer mode is not played, the player will only be able to acquire ~3750 EMS, which is less than the ~4000 EMS necessary to experience all possible endings.

Downloadable content for Mass Effect 3 significantly affects the War Assets system. Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut lowers the EMS required to achieve all possible endings from ~4000 to 3100. Mass Effect 3: Leviathan features an additional 620 War Assets for the player to obtain, Mass Effect 3: Omega features an additional 405 War Assets, and Mass Effect 3: Citadel adds 70 points to the Alliance Frigate Normandy SR-2 War Asset.

All that downloadable content, and the lowering of the war score requirement, came with DLC that was released after the game came out.

So yes, when the game was originally released, multiplayer certainly was a hard requirement to get those "best" endings, and my opinion is that was a stupid gameplay decision for a single player action RPG. You could not actually get them without it, which is what I thought I remembered from ~8 years ago.

And yes, after the DLCs were out, it was changed. So I suppose I could have just looked this up on the ME wiki and answered my own question - I just didn't realize Bioware / EA had actually gone back to fix what I thought was a seriously broken aspect of the game's mechanics (I don't expect EA to ever go back and fix anything).

Look, I am out of date on my ME3 because I tried playing it before the extended cut and everything else came out. So according to the info on the ME wiki, relevant bits in bold and blue:

https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/War_Assets

All that downloadable content, and the lowering of the war score requirement, came with DLC that was released after the game came out.

So yes, when the game was originally released, multiplayer certainly was a hard requirement to get those "best" endings, and my opinion is that was a stupid gameplay decision for a single player action RPG. You could not actually get them without it, which is what I thought I remembered from ~8 years ago.

And yes, after the DLCs were out, it was changed. So I suppose I could have just looked this up on the ME wiki and answered my own question - I just didn't realize Bioware / EA had actually gone back to fix what I thought was a seriously broken aspect of the game's mechanics (I don't expect EA to ever go back and fix anything).

Fair enough on the numbers. In any case, it didn't matter originally as the game's endings were basically all the same. Pick your colored explosion and that was it.

Fix inventory management and the permanent overheat bug in ME1 and that's about all I want. Hell I can live with the overheat bug, but fix the inventory. Somehow it was designed for consoles, while still being terrible on consoles. Take the SkyUI mod and slap it on that dumpster fire.

Fix inventory management and the permanent overheat bug in ME1 and that's about all I want. Hell I can live with the overheat bug, but fix the inventory. Somehow it was designed for consoles, while still being terrible on consoles. Take the SkyUI mod and slap it on that dumpster fire.

The inventory menus were absolutely atrocious in Mass Effect 1. It's astounding just how awkward and badly designed they are.

Well, it may work with our existing save games. However, I plan on starting with ME1 and working my way back through the trilogy, so no save file will be needed.
Agreed. What is the point of revisiting the games if you're not going to experience them in all their glory again? I've never done a run through all 3 with a Sentinel, so I think I am going that way this time.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Eh...if it's just a remaster I probably won't bother. The gameplay in ME1 was SO tedious.

Eh...if it's just a remaster I probably won't bother. The gameplay in ME1 was SO tedious.
Well good-ish news for you:
"so Mass Effect 1 is receiving something of a rework. The game's UI and various interfaces have been overhauled, and combat and exploration brought in-line with the sequels' improvements: better aiming, squad controls, team AI, and camera positioning. On the last point, for example, you'd commonly take cover in that game and get a brief view of the interior of Shepard's skull: no more. Finally, and perhaps most-wanted of all, the handling of the Tonka-like Mako surface vehicle has been overhauled."

what about the black character problem on the Peak 15 (Noveria) level caused by the inclusion of AMD 3DNow?

Also, if they try to charge new price for this I ain't biting. I'll pay $30 max otherwise I'll wait for it to hit the $20 bin

Last edited:
what about the black character problem on the Peak 15 (Noveria) level caused by the inclusion of AMD 3DNow?

Also, if they try to charge new price for this I ain't biting. I'll pay $30 max otherwise I'll wait for it to hit the $20 bin
It's $60.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Back