EA Announces Mass Effect Legendary Edition

I have zero interest in this (especially at $60), but my wife loves those games and still replays them on our Xbox 360. I'll pick up the Steam one for her since I know it'll make her day. That said, I'll probably use CDKeys or some such site to knock that horrible price down 30%.

I have zero interest in this (especially at $60), but my wife loves those games and still replays them on our Xbox 360. I'll pick up the Steam one for her since I know it'll make her day. That said, I'll probably use CDKeys or some such site to knock that horrible price down 30%.
You know it costs $80 to get all of the original games and content, yes? So it's like a 25% discount if you buy the Legendary Edition over the individual games.

You know it costs $80 to get all of the original games and content, yes? So it's like a 25% discount if you buy the Legendary Edition over the individual games.

LOL Mass Effect Trilogy @ Walmart currently $13.50 so that CONTENT must be really really pricey but yea $80 is perfect ,,, for new blood and you're gonna need lots of new blood for this release @ $60

Also, it's being released on both EA and Steam platforms ... interesting. Going for the gusto ?

Last edited:
Personally, totally worth it for all three remastered games with all DLC for all of them included. Will still be buying it day one. I wonder if Dan_D will consider it for $60 too?! 😜
I agree. I rarely day one stuff (coincidentally the last game I bought day one was Mass Effect 2) but I will be picking up this.

Well good-ish news for you:
"so Mass Effect 1 is receiving something of a rework. The game's UI and various interfaces have been overhauled, and combat and exploration brought in-line with the sequels' improvements: better aiming, squad controls, team AI, and camera positioning. On the last point, for example, you'd commonly take cover in that game and get a brief view of the interior of Shepard's skull: no more. Finally, and perhaps most-wanted of all, the handling of the Tonka-like Mako surface vehicle has been overhauled."

That might be enough to get me onboard. Probably not for $60 but eventually - thanks for the info.

I'm glad its on Steam , I admit. Good on EA for at least kinda sorta getting off Origin exclusivity (I wish they'd bring the good version of EA Play to Steam, not only the limited version. Then again, I've been holding off buying Xbox GamePass Ultimate but would do so IF it I could use Steam). As for the price, I kinda get it when you're talking about 3 full titles and all their DLC remastered, but it would be nice to see some modernizing properly Also, unless they're planning to remake/remaster Andromeda and finally create sequels to it, it would have been nice if it was included as well ; if they are planning to do a true Remake of Andromeda that fixes many of its problems technical and otherwise in preparation for a follow up Mass Effect title, then so be it - I'd rather wait.

One thing for the original trilogy that bothers me however is that if all they're going to do is upscale some textures and effects, then I really hope they don't change things too much that breaks mod compatibility. The Mass Effect titles, ESPECIALLY ME3, have some pretty astounding mods not just of the graphical variety but full gameplay and new content. The hallmark of this is the Expanded Galaxy Mod (EGM) - https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/350 (it also suggests a ton of sub-mods including those that give new campaigns and whole open areas!) and MEHEM which totally revamps the endings ( https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/66 ); there is also an alternate version of this that preserves the "choices", ITEM ( an indoctrination theory ending ,relatively new apparently), ME3Recalibrated (many fixes and whatnot) - among a ton of others on ME3 Nexus mods. THere are also of course tons of texture and resource mods too, so giving all that up for a baseline 4K bump or whatnot may not be worth it. Lets hope that especially the big mods (many with custom rendered cutscenes, even some with new VO, and others restoring unused/removed elements from the game file) get ported to the Legendary Edition.

Last edited:
I'm glad its on Steam , I admit. Good on EA for at least kinda sorta getting off Origin exclusivity (I wish they'd bring the good version of EA Play to Steam, not only the limited version. Then again, I've been holding off buying Xbox GamePass Ultimate but would do so IF it I could use Steam). As for the price, I kinda get it when you're talking about 3 full titles and all their DLC remastered, but it would be nice to see some modernizing properly Also, unless they're planning to remake/remaster Andromeda and finally create sequels to it, it would have been nice if it was included as well ; if they are planning to do a true Remake of Andromeda that fixes many of its problems technical and otherwise in preparation for a follow up Mass Effect title, then so be it - I'd rather wait.

One thing for the original trilogy that bothers me however is that if all they're going to do is upscale some textures and effects, then I really hope they don't change things too much that breaks mod compatibility. The Mass Effect titles, ESPECIALLY ME3, have some pretty astounding mods not just of the graphical variety but full gameplay and new content. The hallmark of this is the Expanded Galaxy Mod (EGM) - https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/350 (it also suggests a ton of sub-mods including those that give new campaigns and whole open areas!) and MEHEM which totally revamps the endings ( https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/66 ); there is also an alternate version of this that preserves the "choices", ITEM ( an indoctrination theory ending ,relatively new apparently), ME3Recalibrated (many fixes and whatnot) - among a ton of others on ME3 Nexus mods. THere are also of course tons of texture and resource mods too, so giving all that up for a baseline 4K bump or whatnot may not be worth it. Lets hope that especially the big mods (many with custom rendered cutscenes, even some with new VO, and others restoring unused/removed elements from the game file) get ported to the Legendary Edition.
In the interviews they say a lot of their choices was to maintain compatibility with the scripting language so that they didn't have to completely redo a lot of the scenes and such, so I am thinking it won't break too much for ME3, but 1 and 2 it looks like there are more changes there than not.

LOL Mass Effect Trilogy @ Walmart currently $13.50 so that CONTENT must be really really pricey but yea $80 is perfect ,,, for new blood and you're gonna need lots of new blood for this release @ $60

Also, it's being released on both EA and Steam platforms ... interesting. Going for the gusto ?
The listing on Walmart is from a third-party seller called "BF Sales" that looks like it is an individual. The shot of the product also shows a European or UK box version. If you want to roll the dice on that one, be my guest.

1612300518818.png

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mass-Eff...MIw6LMho7M7gIVGneGCh0aXAdkEAQYASABEgICYvD_BwE

I can finally play the third game because this is, and I wish i was joking, the first time the DLC for ME2 has ever gone on sale or been bundled with the game on PC.
(At least since I started paying attention, apparently, EARLIER THIS YEAR, it finally went on sale.)
The DLC actually went on sale one other time before. I know because I grabbed it when it did because their regular way of buying it was just fucking ridiculous.

If you have to install and run through Origin anyway then what difference does it make if it's on Steam?

If the engine stayed the same, the mods may have to be adapted to the new version, but it should be very doable. I'm part of the modders group on Discord and the game still has an active mod scene to this day. I don't do anything with it anymore, but I'm glad work on the game has continued.

Warm, false fuzzy feelings.

At least with some newer EA titles, such as Apex Legends, you don't need to install Origin and log in with it etc. Instead, if you have an EA / Origin account you simply link the two together and then you can log in through it but Steam does the heavy lifting as it were. You dont need a full origin client or even a mini one from what I've seen, which is a notable improvement.

So wait, The improved graphics are...

Lens flairs..?

That's it?

Reactions: zehoo
like this
Mass Effect: Lens Flare Edition

View attachment 325388
View attachment 325389

Not the biggest deal in the world but looks a bit over done.

Honestly, and this comes from a formerly professional 3D artist, the older screenshot looks MUCH better. it's easier to read, the world has more depth, and your boundaries are much more obvious.

The texture quality seems identical, there is added cabling and geometry, but its muddy and merely there to increase polycount. The environment time-of-day is completely different, which is neither here-nor-there however if it is NOT a real-time time-of-day system and this is an artistic change, its a pretty poor one. Sunsets are great for establishing a mood but are often super cliché for ammeter artists to always make their worlds in sunset because they look pretty. For gameplay, they create long, hard-to-follow shadows with little-to-no ambient sky-light to fill in the shaded areas, thus making areas in shadow COMPLETELY black, without a secondary lightsource to compensate, this just makes the space more confusing. also, its just not what the original world looked like, like I said, if this isn't a real-time day/night cycle, then its just completely changing the artistic direction of a game that obviously resonated with it's audience. [/B]

Honestly, and this comes from a formerly professional 3D artist, the older screenshot looks MUCH better. it's easier to read, the world has more depth, and your boundaries are much more obvious.

The texture quality seems identical, there is added cabling and geometry, but its muddy and merely there to increase polycount. The environment time-of-day is completely different, which is neither here-nor-there however if it is NOT a real-time time-of-day system and this is an artistic change, its a pretty poor one. Sunsets are great for establishing a mood but are often super cliché for ammeter artists to always make their worlds in sunset because they look pretty. For gameplay, they create long, hard-to-follow shadows with little-to-no ambient sky-light to fill in the shaded areas, thus making areas in shadow COMPLETELY black, without a secondary lightsource to compensate, this just makes the space more confusing. also, its just not what the original world looked like, like I said, if this isn't a real-time day/night cycle, then its just completely changing the artistic direction of a game that obviously resonated with it's audience. [/B]

The whole game does not look like that based on the trailer and the textures are definitely not identical. I've pulled these textures out of the game and modified them or created new ones patterned off the old. I've spent countless hours looking at them across all three games. Those are not the original textures in the trailer. Now, having said that I will agree that the comparison shot of ME1 looks way over processed. They tried to cover the lower poly assets with special effects to distract you from the fact that the game is 15 years old.

Agreed. Lighting in the 2nd one looks notably different. Looks like most of the game is similar, but some areas they changed the lighting a bit too much. Not the technology, but the time of day and amount of light that is being given off.

Textures look good though. Wonder how it compares to the various HD mods out there.

Never could get into these. Tried several times but always ended up playing it for a couple of hours & quitting it.

The listing on Walmart is from a third-party seller called "BF Sales" that looks like it is an individual. The shot of the product also shows a European or UK box version. If you want to roll the dice on that one, be my guest.

View attachment 325370

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mass-Eff...MIw6LMho7M7gIVGneGCh0aXAdkEAQYASABEgICYvD_BwE

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mass-Eff...ave-mankind-against-impossible-odds/471364305

how many more do you want shill?

I was banned here for speaking the truth and that told me this place is run by Diablo

Well good-ish news for you:
"so Mass Effect 1 is receiving something of a rework. The game's UI and various interfaces have been overhauled, and combat and exploration brought in-line with the sequels' improvements: better aiming, squad controls, team AI, and camera positioning. On the last point, for example, you'd commonly take cover in that game and get a brief view of the interior of Shepard's skull: no more. Finally, and perhaps most-wanted of all, the handling of the Tonka-like Mako surface vehicle has been overhauled."
This was exactly what I was hoping for in regards to the first game. Very excited!

They should at least add like a purple and teal ending as well. I always thought teal aligned better with my character and all the decisions I made throughout the 3 games and was disappointed with the seemingly phoned-in RGB endings like any other run-of-the-mill action RPG game. :p

If you have to install and run through Origin anyway then what difference does it make if it's on Steam?
Betting on which platform will be around longer.

EA already came back to Steam because Origin wasn't performing well-enough on its own.

No Pinnacle Station for this..... I kinda liked that DLC
Wait, what? I thought they said it included all the DLC?

https://gamerant.com/mass-effect-legendary-edition-pinnacle-station-dlc-missing/

They lost the source code, apparently. Classic move. It definitely isn't as big a loss as the ME3 multiplayer, but still disappointing. I still hope that some day they will release the Mass Effect multiplayer as a standalone that includes all the content released for both ME3 and Andromeda.

Not to mention the better textures, effects, and everything... also if you are a EA Play member (or Game Pass Ultimate) it's $53.99. So yeah I would say that's a steal. I am tempted to buy it just so I can support the next Mass Effect game which they've already teased. I don't want this series to die.

Back