E8600 and GTX 570 - Bottleneck?

He is right that a highly overclocked 8600 will be more than enough for 99% of games out there. However for the two most popular games of this year (Black Ops which is now the highest grossing game ever and Starcraft II) a quad core is a very noticeable improvement.

I personally feel that at least a triple core is a necessity these days though. Sooner or later and maybe a lot depending on what software you run on your computer, you will get game hiccups because of some other process requiring processor time while you are loading both cores with a game.

My dad could care less while he plays solitare so bad advice for him to upgrade. Someone who posts on these forums and plays much more intense and immersive games? Completely different story.

How irritated would you be if you were just about to kill the last boss in a game and ducked around a pillar to heal yourself or reload, and your computer froze intermittently for a few seconds because your bittorrent client finished one download (The latest image of your favorite linux distro of course) and started a new one collecting 2000 new swarm records and opened up 200 new connections?

If you answered I just saved my game anyway cause I'm used to slow downs on my dual core, congratulations no upgrade needed!

If you answered I just threw my monitor through the window because I forgot to save during the last 4 hr intense gaming session and I just died, I see a quad or six core machine in your future!

This.
Not everyone who plays games should have a quad core, but everyone who's serious about them playing well should. A six core hmm, I'm not convinced, I haven't seen a single game where that pays off yet. I'm sure it'll come eventually but by the time it's upgrade-o-clock it will barely have been used I suspect. Stick with a decent quad for now over either a slower, or much more expensive hex.

no need for hex yet, but quad core is a must today.

even if the game is not using all 4 cores to the max it will at least keep you system running smooth, you have to remember that there is plenty of processes running in the background, sound, etc.

Last edited:
Tough it out with the dual core until Sandy Bridge hits, then think about upgrading to that if the reviews are positive. In the meantime, turning down some eyecandy on the 3-5 games that really necessitate a quad should give you playable rates.

Trie actually,if you can stick it out a bit longer, SandyBridge will be tempting. AMD bulldozer could be worth a look but for now I don't think it's worth waiting for.

-E8600 is fine for GTX 570 - especially at 3.7 GHz :p
Now there's a recipe for fail in BC2.

Also, 570's go for $150 more than a 470. Can that really be justified? That's a motherboard right there. :p

Back