E8500 vs. Q6600 vs. Q9550

ThR!LL

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to upgrade my computer around mid October. I'm a heavy PC gamer and convert many videos both on a daily basis. I will occasionally be video editing, but nothing to major. I won't be upgrading this build for at least 2 years so I was wondering which CPU will fit my needs the most while lasting the longest. You can see in my sig in which I will be upgrading from.

Two years?

I would say go quad then with the Q9550. The prices on the E8500 are still lower than the Q9550 but looking two years out I would say get the quad.

Are you going to be doing any overclocking with the new chip? Only reason I ask is that I have the same motherboard as you and have run both a Q6600 and Q9450 on it. The DS3L overclocked the 65nm chip much better than the 45nm chip. I moved my Q9450 to a P5Q-E and was able to push much more out of it at a significantly lower voltage.

Oh yeah sorry I didn't mention this. The CPU will be a part of a brand new build. The board with be the DFI DFI Lanparty JR P45.

I'm also considering teh Q6600 vs. Q9550. If I can hit 3.6ghz with both will there be a difference other then the price?

the Q9550 is Faster clock for clock over Q6600 you could hit 3.4 or 3.6 easy on the Q9550 i have Q9450 oc/ed 3.4 1.275v

depends on how much the $340 means to you. the q9550 will not perform twice as good as the q6600 even tho it costs twice as much. from the results i have seen you will probably get the same oc from the q6600, if not better. and use lower fsb to get it. so that leaves the only difference to be the extra l2 cache on the q9550, which, according to several articles i have read, aint no fucking difference at all. unless you are going to spend the next 2 years running superpi.

depends on how much the $340 means to you. the q9550 will not perform twice as good as the q6600 even tho it costs twice as much. from the results i have seen you will probably get the same oc from the q6600, if not better. and use lower fsb to get it. so that leaves the only difference to be the extra l2 cache on the q9550, which, according to several articles i have read, aint no fucking difference at all. unless you are going to spend the next 2 years running superpi.

haha so true. Listen to this guy.

My opinion only

Gaming and not much multitasking ? E8600 if you can afford it, overclock and enjoy it. Can't afford it, the E8400 will do very well. It will be some time before more games are coded for quad.

i like the idea of the dfi p45 jr.. thanks for pointing that one out OP

I'd go with the dfi p45 jr , a Q6600, and 4 gigs of memory .. grab a nice cooler,good memory and try to get the q6600 to atleast 3.4 or 3.6 ghz .. and you're done my friend

My opinion only

Gaming and not much multitasking ? E8600 if you can afford it, overclock and enjoy it. Can't afford it, the E8400 will do very well. It will be some time before more games are coded for quad.

The thing is, he will be doing frequent video encoding which will benefit hugely from having a quad core. Personally, I would get the Q6600 for cheap and call it a day. The Q9550 is nice, but not worth the price premium IMO.

let's be honest...a Q6600 is still really good..and the price is really good too...
only if they made that same exact cpu but in 45nm... everyone would jump on it..

I think that since we're humans,we want to stay up to date and our sub-consious keeps sending signals like "no dont get the q6600 its old already" and you feel bad for getting the q6600 instead of the q9550 ...

but man,just get the q6600 .. it is a great chip

Yeah, q6600 isn't a bad chip at all. Pound for pound, the 9550 is a tick faster and uses less power IMO. And it's down to 325 at the egg. Just ordered it this afternoon :D

Yeah, q6600 isn't a bad chip at all. Pound for pound, the 9550 is a tick faster and uses less power IMO. And it's down to 325 at the egg. Just ordered it this afternoon :D

Can you let us know if you received a E0 stepping one when you get it plz :D

I'm lost on this E0 stepping...what is it? I just got my Q9550 today from Newegg, but I have to get a new mobo to use it. If there's some label to let you guys know that what I got is what you're all looking for, let me know.

With the Q6600 being under $200 now, I would definitely get it over the Q9series. I wouldn't even consider a dual core, especially since you're wanting this build to last a few years.

For gaming a dual core 3 ghz is more than enough. Any higher clock then 3 and you WILL NOT notice ANY difference.

q6600, the q9450 doesn't OC all that great w/ the DFI jr. well @ least mine doesn't haha due to a lot of heat generated in my SFF

plus the q6600 is great bang for the buck and unless you are doing some serious video encoding or multi-tasking, I don't believe the extra cache etc validates the price premium.

Have you got proof?

loads and loads. Just google it and you will see the million of reviews out there that prove this point. I'm to lazy to link it right now but if you really want it PM me and I will. I think danny_bui has a couple of these articles in his favorties.

loads and loads. Just google it and you will see the million of reviews out there that prove this point. I'm to lazy to link it right now but if you really want it PM me and I will. I think danny_bui has a couple of these articles in his favorties.

Please provide proof if you wish to make a valid point.

Back