e8500 - 8-10c difference between cores, is this bad?

Harb

Limp Gawd
I'm finally getting around to beginning the process of overclocking my new e8500-based rig. Today I started getting baseline readings on temp and such so I know where I'm starting off, and I noticed that core 0 runs up to 10 degrees C hotter than core 1 under load from Intel Burn Test (HWMonitor is being used to monitor temps). The temps are usually identical at idle.

Is a difference in temp this large normal, or should I reseat and/or lap my HS/CPU? I'm considering reseating and doing the washer mod first, but if I have to lap, I would start by doing my TRUE first because I don't really want to void the warranty on my chip unless the IHS is the culprit here.

if they are the same @ idle then reseat the HSF and how did you apply the TIM?
The washer mod is not a bad idea while it is off and gain a little extra. Intel's spec's say
the 775 socket cpus should have 60 inch lbs for "opt temps"

yep, reseat it. Make sure you don't pull the HSF up and check the spread as this will cause a air bubble in the TIM when you replace it and leave a "dead zone" in it.
GL

Try reseating the HSF as that is a pretty high difference, but be aware that some difference is inevitiable. Your chip's integrated heatspreader also might be making bad contact with one of the cores, in which case there isn't much you can do about it.

I reseated it and used a pretty thick washer for the washer mod, but there isn't much change. Looks like I'll be lapping them soon. I'm really, really hoping that my IHS isn't screwed up inside...I bought this damn TRUE for overclocking, not running a gimped processor at stock speeds :|

Is it better to go buy my own sandpaper for lapping, or should I order one from someplace like frozencpu.com. It seems like I'd have a hard time putting my own kit together and not be losing some money because the kits online are so cheap (11 or 12 bucks without shipping)

My E8400 exhibits the opposite. At idle the temperature is about 7-8c different and then under load they even out.

My 8400 is of 3-5 at idle or load none over clocked with a Zalman 9500 at first and then a lapped X-1283 and lapped cpu which made no difference in the differential and lowered the temps overall 3-4 degrees over not being lapped.

Check the contact before you lap it - the TRUEs tend to be convex and the IHS's tend to be concave - sometimes they cancel out in such a way that the contact is pretty darn good without lapping.

Back