E8400 to be for sale from newegg "within the hour"!!!

LrngToFly

n00b
I just chatted w/ Claire on newegg.com at 11:10 AM EST on 1/21/2008. She said this:

Thank you for contacting Newegg. My name is Claire. How may I assist you today?

A: Hello- when do you plan to begin carrying the new Intel "Wolfdale" CPUs. I'm interested in purchasing an E8400 from you. There were supposed to be available from Intel beginning yesterday, Jan. 20th. Thanks!

Claire: Let me take a look into that...one moment please.

A: Hi Claire. Thanks for your help!

Claire: One moment, please... I need to confirm with our product support team.

A: No problem. Thanks for checking!

Claire: Unfortunately, we currently do not have any information on the availability of this item. We will post this item on our website if or when it becomes available. Also, I have reported to them and requested them to get this CPU ASAP.

A: Okay- I'll keep an eye out for them. Thanks for checking!

Claire: You are very welcome. Is there anything else I can do for you?

A: I noticed that you guys still have your Santa hat on the Eggs! Still have the Christmas spirit going, eh? That's great!

Claire: Sir, the CPU is now in stock. You may check our website later within an hour. :)

A: ah, okay! Will do! Thanks much.

Claire: You are welcome. Is there anything else?

A: Nothing that I can think of. Thanks!

Claire: Thank you for contacting us. I hope you have an Eggcellent day!

Claire: :=)

A: Thanks, you too!

Thanks again for contacting Newegg. Once you know, you Newegg.

My guess on the retail boxed newegg price: $40 over Q1000 pricing ($183) = $223. :p

From SD, updated today (all retail):
Onsale - $201.99 Free s/h -BX80570E8400A
Buy.com - $212.19 + free s/h ($202.19 + free shipping (w/ GCO)
Microcenter (not showing any online but Email says $189.99 in-store only + state tax).
CompuSource - $208.00 Free s/h - BX80570E8400A
CompuSource - $212.00 Free s/h - backordered - BX80570E8400
Mwave - $209 + ~8.16s/h - BX80570E8400A
ShopBLT - $207.83 + ~$10 +/- shipping
Ncixus - $204.99 + ~13 - $16+s/h - BX80570E8400
PCSuperstore - $211.99 + ~$8.00 s/h - BX80570E8400A
Chumbo - $214.99 + ~ $7.36 s/h - BX80570E8400
ecost- $214.99 + ~$9.05 s/h - BX80570E8400A
ZipZoomFly - $229 - BX80570E8400

Some are in stock and some OOS. If I get one I'll wait for a Fry's combo deal.

The ones I grabbed from MicroCenter were all $189.00 but the boxes said 239.99 so I wouldn't be surprised if they had it priced around there.

My guess on the retail boxed newegg price: $40 over Q1000 pricing ($183) = $223. :p

Off by $2. :(

Any guesses on the final price before they sell out?
Same price because it's already one of the highest prices right now. I personally don't understand the big rush. In a week or two it will probably be $200 or less at some places.

Lol me too. Just grabbed an 8400 and a DS3L off mwave for $295 plus 4GB of OCZ DDR2-800 off ZZF for $70 AR.

I just noticed that DDR-400 is going for serious money nowadays so 4GB of brand name DDR2-800 is actually cheaper than 2GB of DDR-400. Makes for a nice upgrade path :)

So, let's see:

newegg is $224 with free shipping

mwave is $209 PLUS shipping, the cheapest method costing about $9

newegg is therefore a whopping SIX DOLLARS more expensive than mwave. Really? All this whining and bitching about newegg's price - not to mention the angry "I'll take my business elsewhere, thank you very much!" posts - over SIX DOLLARS?!

I'll gladly pay an extra six bucks for the security that comes with ordering from a trusted site like newegg...

The board I got is $12 cheaper at Mwave, plus the CPU there is only $205 if you buy a board too. So the combo at Newegg is ~ $330 shipped whereas it was ~ $305 shipped from mwave.

But yeah if you're just getting the CPU Newegg's after-shipping cost isn't that bad at all.

newegg is $224.99 with free shipping

There's nothing wrong with mwave.

I see it as:
$224.99
vs
Sub Total $209.00 + Shipping & Handling Calculator $6.65 at mwave. That is almost a $10 difference. And if I were to order several items, I could benefit from combined shipping savings (and shipping cost based on weight and distance), unlike the other site <cough>.

So, let's see:

newegg is therefore a whopping SIX DOLLARS more expensive than mwave. Really? All this whining and bitching about newegg's price - not to mention the angry "I'll take my business elsewhere, thank you very much!" posts - over SIX DOLLARS?!

I'll gladly pay an extra six bucks for the security that comes with ordering from a trusted site like newegg...

I can get upgraded 2 day shipping from mwave and its STILL cheaper than newegg. Not everyones shipping is $9 for the cheapest option.

Anyone plan on being a pioneer and dropping one of these in an "unsupported" board, like the Gigabyte 965P-DS3 ? There isn't an official BIOS for it yet, but it SHOULD work, so I'm tempted to buy and worse case, I'll get an Abit P35 mobo if it doesn't work.
I think it won't work without BIOS support. The multipliers have been remapped (to support 1/2 multipliers) and there are probably other changes. I might dig through the data sheets later.

There seem to be relatively few P965 boards compatible with 45nm Core 2 CPUs so I wouldn't count on it working.

I saved about $20 ordering from Mwave with a e8400/motherboard combination. I feel like they're just as reliable as NewEgg but I could be mistaken.

You can also save $20 or more through ClubIT on a E8400/motherboard combination over NewEgg. I've had good luck with them in the past.

E8400:
NewEgg - 225+0 shipping = 225
ClubIT - 215+0 shipping = 215

Asus Maximus Formula:
NewEgg - 260+8 shipping = 268
ClubIT - 256+0 shipping = 256

Asus P5E:
NewEgg - 230+7 shipping = 237
ClubIT - 230+0 shipping -5 CPU/MB combo deal = 225

Mwave is , if not, more reliable than Newegg.com

Their return policy is pretty damn good, considering they will go out of their way to replace items that are out of the 30-day warranty.

Only problem I've had with Mwave is that they sometimes take a longer time to ship stuff, maybe 2nd day or even 3rd, whereas Newegg is usually next day, sometimes same day.

Update: Just live chatted with Newegg and they knocked $15 of for me.

I placed an order earlier today from newegg (right when they became available). After seeing these posts about discounts over chat, I gave it a shot and they said they'd refund $23 (matching onsale.com's $202 price).

They emphasized that they don't normally do price match, but would give me the $23 because I'm such a great customer... (So they probably will only give you a discount if you've spent a bunch of money with them over the years)

Only problem I've had with Mwave is that they sometimes take a longer time to ship stuff, maybe 2nd day or even 3rd, whereas Newegg is usually next day, sometimes same day.

Update: Just live chatted with Newegg and they knocked $15 of for me.

No problems with them here. I placed my order today around 11AM and its about 3:30PM right now and its already shipped.

I just chatted with Claire. They gave me a 20 dollar credit (Have to contact them after receiving the processor).

Claire: Thank you for contacting us. I hope you have an Eggcellent day!
Claire: :=)

Very good customer service if you ask me.

I ordered up the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L @ Newegg for $99.99, plus the E8400. Great MB for short coin if you don't use Raid. As for the difference in price (as another poster mentioned) I always give my business to Newegg. Price is NOT always everything! It's called service? Newegg always delivers with flying colors!

It'll cost me $240 to order from newegg with tax. Can anyone recommend a site with the e8400 for $200? Microcenter seems to be out too.

I placed an order earlier today from newegg (right when they became available). After seeing these posts about discounts over chat, I gave it a shot and they said they'd refund $23 (matching onsale.com's $202 price).

They emphasized that they don't normally do price match, but would give me the $23 because I'm such a great customer... (So they probably will only give you a discount if you've spent a bunch of money with them over the years)

Ditto on this deal... E8400 for $201 :D

It'll cost me $240 to order from newegg with tax. Can anyone recommend a site with the e8400 for $200? Microcenter seems to be out too.

Just bite the bullet and get it at newegg. You could try clubit.com or Tankguys.

Wasn't aware of newegg charging tax. They didnt for me in Michigan.

Just bite the bullet and get it at newegg. You could try clubit.com or Tankguys.

Wasn't aware of newegg charging tax. They didnt for me in Michigan.

If you're in New Jersey or California you will get charged tax if im not mistaken as that is where their two warehouses are located

So, let's see:

Well, I can pick it today on my way home for $189 at a retail store.

I'm used to paying less when ordering online because I give up the convenience of being able to just go and pick it up the same day and not have to stick around at home for UPS.

Newegg does have the 512MB version of the 3850 for $10 less than the 256MB version at the local store (plus tax too!) so I did have to go with the egg on that one.

You can't beat newegg for customer service, if only the had a retail store in my area with the same prices as their website :p

If you live near a Microcenter they are great. They price match Newegg and (I think) Tigerdirect on CPU's twice a week, so their prices are usually pretty good for processors.

Back