E8400 stock cooler good for.....

Crapgame

Limp Gawd
how much overclock? I'm sitting on 54C/53C running Prime95 right now at stock 3ghz. What's typically a good overclock with the stock cooler and what temps are OK at load? I've just upgraded from an e4400 to the e8400 and had to use the stock cooler for now.

CPU: E8400 E0 stepping 1.25v stock
Mobo: ip35 pro b18 bios
Ram: Mushkin DDR2-800 5-4-4-12

I would like to run at least 9X400 but I can understand if the stock cooler isn't up to it.

OK, at 9x400 3.6ghz 1.27v it's running 58C/57C on P95 smalFFT tests and 55C/54C on blend. Ambient temp is 23C/74F. Odd thing, at idle there is a 6C temp difference between the 2 cores but at load it's 2C. It's idling right now at 37C/31C. I bumped the voltage a hair because of the ip35 pro's vdroop.

Could someone tell me a safe load temp limit? I primarily game with this system so that will be the max load it ever sees, maybe some video encoding once in a while too.

Next test is to leave p95 running for a long while.

OK, at 9x400 3.6ghz 1.27v it's running 58C/57C on P95 smalFFT tests and 55C/54C on blend. Ambient temp is 23C/74F. Odd thing, at idle there is a 6C temp difference between the 2 cores but at load it's 2C. It's idling right now at 37C/31C. I bumped the voltage a hair because of the ip35 pro's vdroop.

Could someone tell me a safe load temp limit? I primarily game with this system so that will be the max load it ever sees, maybe some video encoding once in a while too.

Next test is to leave p95 running for a long while.

the difference in temps between core 1 and core 2 are normal at idle since the temp sensors on the c2d/c2q's suck and dont record the idle temp correctly.. so stick with what it says as the load temps.. anything under 50C is inaccurate.. the safe load temp is 95-100C but you want to try and stay under 80C under normal full load..

e84s have been pushed to 4Ghz on stock.

Just pay CLOSE attention to the temps, the e8400s have a horrible temp reader.

HELP! It was running just fine so I loaded up TF2 and it locked up while loading the map. Rebooted and it will not go into the bios, just keeps restarting before the bios screen comes up. I'm getting the error code for wrong cpu voltage as this happens. Cleared the CMOS, same result. Put my e4400 back in, ran fine reset evrything in the bios to what it was the first time I booted the e8400, same result. Cleared CMOS a couple more times, nothing. I've put the e4400 back in for now. Can't see what it could be since it ran fine unless I'm having a PSU problem. Tried taking my GTX275 out, put in my 8800gt which uses less power and no go. e4400 works with both cards, e8400 will not boot.

try getting the bios from the manufacture website and reloading it.. sounds like a corruption problem but odd that one processor works and one doesnt..

Back