E8400 Core2Duo/ECS G31T-M $150 @ Frys thru 1/15

Atl530i

Supreme [H]ardness
Great deal if you have a Frys near you. The CPU alone is more then what they are asking and the mobo is $80 by itself. Buy the combo and sell the mobo :) Good thru the 15th of this month.

Good deal, but remember, you won't be able to sell the mobo for $80, $40 tops if you are really lucky, more likely $20 or so

No, the G33 version is sold for $40 at Fry's. I'm using one cause my 650i died.

I have an E6750 Running at 3.4GHZ, should I upgrade to this E8400 or wait for something better?

what if not overclocking... it is really any better than the E6750?

ill just stick with the E6570 and wait until I REALLY need to upgrade.

+1

although there is something to be said for the inherent fun factor of buying new parts, setting it up, overclocking all over again... some people consider that "work" for some reason :p

I was gonna buy this combo deal and then give my buddy my e4500 and drop it in this mother board here.

I currently have the 4500 at 3.4 ghz (2.2 stock IIRC). Will I not be able to OC the E4500 on this ECS mobo at all for him?

Now that the deal has been around for a few days, the chances of you getting a brand new unopened CPU or mobo are pretty low. I popped into Fry's this morning to ask about 'em (already got one combo, both items brand new never opened, on Friday morning) and when I got to the register the girl came over with an opened E8400 and I passed. Supposedly they were "out of stock" on the brand new ones, so they had nothing but customer returns their "techs" had supposedly checked out and given the OK to resell.

I simply won't buy returned CPUs anymore, been burned in the past at Fry's. If it's brand new unopened with the factory seal, with no apparent "skid" damage on the IHS (from where the HSF gets rubbed against it), no thermal compound apparent, and the HSF has the original thermal compound on it from the factory (Intel uses this funky 3 part pattern which is easily recognizable and nearly impossible to duplicate by hand), then I'll take it.

Opened box, with any signs of use, or a broken seal, or heaven forbid one of Fry's orange "returned" stickers on it, run in the other direction, fast... :D More often than not it's a CPU someone purchased, took home, tried to overclock the shit out of, was unsuccessful or simply not happy with the performance and results, and then returned.

I got this combo and gave a 100% overclocked 2140 and the ecs board to my son. I only got 2.5 on the 2140 but the 8400 did 4 first try, stock volts. I couldn't overclock on the ecs until I flashed bios then I could up the fsb.

I got this combo and gave a 100% overclocked 2140 and the ecs board to my son. I only got 2.5 on the 2140 but the 8400 did 4 first try, stock volts. I couldn't overclock on the ecs until I flashed bios then I could up the fsb.

Sweet thanks for the info. I don't need it to go too high maybe 2.6 - 2.8 ghz for him should be good, he only plays WOW :eek:

Renton, WA is sold out on all 3 combos that are advertised through tomorrow. I got the last E8400 there tonight, wanted 2 but could only get one.

The current Friday sale this time is good for a week, so these prices on the E8400 combo last through Thursday night closing time, not the regular Tuesday closing time - that's 2 more days hoping they get new stock in. :)

As noted on the upper right side of the ad page:

http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/ROP/ads.aspx?adid=7422140&advid=32664&type=

Yes, that's the San Diego area ad but, as far as I can tell this current sale is a solid week long, which seems to be a first for Fry's, it's always been Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon-Tues in the past.

Sweet thanks for the info. I don't need it to go too high maybe 2.6 - 2.8 ghz for him should be good, he only plays WOW :eek:

I was always under the assumption that MMOs were much more CPU dependent than GPU. Can't see why you wouldn't try to push it further if stability hasn't been an issue thus far.

Back