e8400 4.05GHz 50ºC in maxed IntelBurnTest on air

jctazzy

Limp Gawd
My first attempts at overclocking my E8400 (here and here starting at post #22) were fun, albeit in a different way than I intended. It was just too easy... After that round of OC'ing/undervolting I wound up with this:

9*400=3.6GHz
1.1275v BIOS/~1.10v loaded, undervolted quite a bit. Reasons detailed in my first OC thread
4GB XMS2 DDR2-400 at stock, 1.8v BIOS (rated for 1.9v)
FSB/DRAM ratio 1:1
45ºC/113ºF after 5 and 10 maxed runs of IntelBurnTest (confirmed afterwards using Real Temp 2.90)

Orthos or dual instances of Prime95 never put me past 37ºC/98ºF... I then realized I have stuck sensors as my idle temp is never below 37ºC/98ºF even when I ducted in 2ºC/35ºF air from outside to test it. :(

Ok, that was fun but now it's time to try for 4.0+ and see if I can still get decent temps. So here's what I've got now:

9*450 = 4.05GHz
1.275v BIOS/~1.256 loaded. Still undervolted... jeez, these chips are amazing. :)
8GB XMS2 DDR2-400 running at 450MHz, 1.8v BIOS (doubled my RAM last week... gotta get it while it's so cheap)
50ºC/122ºF after 5 maxed runs of IntelBurnTest, tested using Real Temp 2.90 and CPUID Hardware Monitor

Orthos or dual instances of Prime95 put me at 42ºC/108ºF after 8 hours. I'll be baking it overnight to be sure everything's stable.

Ambient for my testing today was 22ºC/72ºF, normal for my place in the winter with the heat on.

Screen shot below is after 50 minutes of IBT on max.

IBT finished a couple of minutes later with no errors. Yeah, I can live with this... :D

sirmonkey1985 - Thanks!

Kazappin - everything I've seen ([H] forum info here and here) on stuck sensors reflect they get stuck on low temps but not high ones. Basically I'll never really know my idle temps... oh well

dengar - thanks! From your sig you did pretty well with you e8500, too.

After confirming I'm completely stable (another 12 hrs at this point) I'll take vcore down another notch, and try some shorter tests to see if I can get even cooler.

sirmonkey1985 - Thanks!

Kazappin - everything I've seen ([H] forum info here and here) on stuck sensors reflect they get stuck on low temps but not high ones. Basically I'll never really know my idle temps... oh well

Hmm... Never actually knew that, thanks lol. That's a very nice OC you have there, especially with those temps and volts on air. What cooling are you using?

i backed my OC down to 3.8ghz under volted 1.12 volts nothing like 39c on intel burntest and occt ;P

Whats your rooms temps? Its about 55F here and my Q9550 is @ 4.0ghz with load temps of 55C :cool:

Nice overclock, im lovin the low voltage, damm my old e5200, it needed 1.45V for 4.2Ghz :(

Casper312 - Thanks!

Ambient for my testing last night was 22ºC/72ºF, normal for my place in the winter with the heat on. The comp room is upstairs and heat tends to pool up here, making it warmer than the rest of the house.

edit: corrected typo

Back