E8200 FSB400, stable CPU/RAM (Orthos, etc), unstable 3d

dizzy

n00b
Hi

I have an unsual problem I believe. First the spec:
- E8200 3.12Ghz (FSB390), vcore 1.05
- 2x1G Corsair DDR2-800 PC6400-CL4 (4-4-4-12, 2.0v)
- MSI P35 NEO2-FR (a renamed "P35 Platinum", very quality/money ratio)
- Gigabyte 8800GT 512Mb GV-NX88T512HP (type B, the one with copper heat pipes)

Now, before you start crying about vcore, let me tell you that by default this mobo uses 1.0375 vcore in setup (and real reported by programs is around 1.02v). I have a stable system at FSB390 as stressed by Orthos and general usage of the system with that default voltage. I had increased it a little to 1.05 because when I do want to get to FSB400 I need that little increase. Once at FSB400 with 1.05vcore the system is again very stable (by Orthos testing and general usage).

However, at FSB400 something strange happens when I try to stress the video card (either by trying to play STALKER or running "Video Card Stress Test" program), the video driver crashes (or sometimes worse, a blue screen shows for a milisecond and then the system reboots). I repeat, there seems to be no problems with the system with any other usage of stressing other than video stressing. One more thing to note about this issue is that when the system is stable with the Video Card Stress tool, the globe that rotates bellow (the program displays 2 globes that rotate) is rotating smoothly, almost without any interruption but when I get to FSB400 and before the driver crashes, the globe bellow rotates then interrupts for a little time then again rotates and so on until it blocks completely and the driver crashes. Does this means there is some kind of desyncrhonization happening?

Obviously the first thing to check out is the PCI-E frequency, but this motherboard makes it very easy/safe to overclock the FSB because the PCI-E frequency setting is separate and is at 100 (and does not increase if I increase the FSB, at least it does not increase in the setup menu). So theoretically the PCI-E frequency should be 100 so everything should be fine but for some reason it isn't when I get to FSB400, it works fine (3d video stress and all) at FSB390.

And no, increasing the ram voltage to 2.1v (which is the EPP spec for the 4-4-4-12 timings) or increasing the vcore to about 1.12 didn't helped either (I didn't wanted to increase it more because the setup program starts showing the vcore values with "red" colors when I get over 1.12). It all seems to be dependent only on the FSB here.

Is it possible that the motherboard does increase the PCI-E frequency although not told so? How can I then measure it with some program?

Or do you have any idea about any other voltage that might be needed to be increased? (although if the PCI-E frequency is not increased then I don't understand why other voltage would need to be increased to make the video work stable).

Please let me know if you have any idea about this problem or any other info you might need.

I've been playing around with my E8200 this week - I got it on Monday.

I'm up to 3408MHz on the chip at 1.264V-1280V @ load with Prime95 X 2. FSB I can get more, but I limited myself to a 5% voltage increase over the stock 1.2250V. I see Intel's spec sheet gives the maximum CPU Vid as 1.3625V, but a lot of guys go WAY over that. I don't have the balls for that though.

I would suggest having a look at your PSU. Do you have the necessary power required? Your 8800GT sucks a lot more power (2-3 times - too lazy to research the exact numbers now, but your E8xxx is designed for 65W dissipation) than the CPU. If you do, read on.

I had a very similar problem to get mine stable. Each time the CD spinned up while my 8800GT was in 3D mode, I would get a BSOD. I could run my OC for hours stably, but for some reason the GFX + CD casued havoc. The solution, I upped the Vid for the chip slightly, i.e. one increment. Seems our old friend Vdroop came into play when the PSU was loaded with GFX and CD and the chip didn't like it. Now it's working 100%.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Lol.. I just posted a message exactly like this the other day..
At high FSB i can run orthos/OCCT etc all day all night but i can't play 3d games at all.
However this happens at 500 FSB on mine and not 400.. It runs 450FSB no problem and 3d games work no problem..
When I say it runs orthos/occt all day I mean cpu stress test for 16+ hours , blend test 24 hours, both OCCT cpu and ram tests for more than 2 hours.
My video is HD3870
Board ABIT IX38
CPU E8400

I tried cranking up the volts pretty high with no luck at all. Just seems to be some sort of corruption on the PCI-E bus going to the video card..
Someone suggested changing the RAM timings but i don't see why that would affect the pci-e bus? I even tried setting the pci-e bus to 103, 105, 108.. tried various vtt and core volts, even tried changing ICH voltage fairly high still no luck.. so I think there must be some limitation on the south bridge.. Mine's X38 , yours is P35 ..
Well if you find out any solution let me know.. I had to set mine back to 450FSB

There is one thing with the E8XXX chips I will tell you though.. Once you get to a certain MHZ the voltage increase is crazy. It might do 3.6ghz at 1.2v then 3.8 at a.1.3v and then 4ghz at 1.42v..... it wants voltage like crazy when it gets high.. So my suggestion is keep upping it as much as u can get it to run around 1.3v and don't go over that :p

Dizzy I got a question for you
what hard drive are you using, and what controller is it plugged into and what mode is the controller in (AHCI/RAID, etc)

Back