E6850 G0 @ 3.6Ghz = No success, can I go for 1.45v?

Xophile

n00b
Hi!

I just got my Asus P5K-E and a brand new, G0 E6850. I ran it for a day and last night I went for the OC. I tried 3.6 at stock voltage with no luck, pushed the vcore up to 1.40 but still it's not stable.

Can I go for 1.45, is that "safe"? Or is there something else that's wrong?

I have 2048Mb Corsair 800Mhz memory and I´d like to run the FSB synced with the memory at 400Mhz so 9*400 is the only thing I´ve tried so far.

Thanks!

Per the Intel data sheet, Absolute Vcc max is 1.55V.

"Safe" is a relative term. You told us nothing about what cooling you are using and if at stock speeds the cooling seems to be working properly or not.

Hi Bill!

Thanks for your quick reply!

I'm running a well-ventilated Antec Sonata II with two 120mm fans (one in and one for outtake)

On the E6850 I have a NINJA PLUS Rev.B with a 120mm fan blowing at full speed.

After running Orthos for 30 min I have core temps at 55 and 56, at 1.45v

*UPDATE* No the temps are 62 and 62

Am I doing ok here?

Thanks again!

Other spec:

Asus P5K-E (with latest bios)
8800GTS
Corsair 800Mhz 2*1024 DDR2

Perhaps your chip just sucks and cant clock that high?

Sucks? Why does everyone think they got a "bad chip" when they can't overclock it from 2.0GHz to 3.6GHz on stock air. Hey, did you see the package? It said 2.0GHz because thats the speed.... Otherwise the box would say 2.0GHz-3.6GHz.

Now, to Xophile:
Sometimes you just have to find that sweet spot. I had a chip that would lock and crash at 2.6GHz (stock 1.8GHz). Eventually I found that 2.7GHz was stable, so I actually needed to go higher in speed. I'm not saying this is your case, but it's something to think about.

Thanks, ok now that I know you are good, sure try 1.45V. thats kinda my personal limit but I read the Vdroop and Vdrop runs somewhere aournd .04V so even at 1.45 you are probally only getting 1.40ish.

Worth a shot for a few minutes to see if it will do it, then see if it will do it at whatever the next "tic" under 1.45V is.

If that does not work I would try 8 x 400 for 3.2 ( or I guess 9 x 357 and up would be better for your ram so you can see what the cpu will do and retweak once you find the cpu limit. ) and start working up.

Sucks? Why does everyone think they got a "bad chip" when they can't overclock it from 2.0GHz to 3.6GHz on stock air. Hey, did you see the package? It said 2.0GHz because thats the speed.... Otherwise the box would say 2.0GHz-3.6GHz.

Now, to Xophile:
Sometimes you just have to find that sweet spot. I had a chip that would lock and crash at 2.6GHz (stock 1.8GHz). Eventually I found that 2.7GHz was stable, so I actually needed to go higher in speed. I'm not saying this is your case, but it's something to think about.

Relax there big boy, I didnt piss in your cereal this morning. In no way did I mean the chip is bad because it cannot perform higher than rated, I meant it wasent the prime super-duper-crazy overclocking chip some people rant and rave about. He assumed he could just pop it in and WOW 3.6!!!, just like the guys with the super-duper-crazy chip aformentioned. When obviously it is entirely chip dependant (AS YOU SAID IN YOUR POST - SEE, I'M AGREEING WITH YOU!).....

and nVidia is better...

Another update:

Running at 3.6Ghz on 1.45v

Orthos stable for 2hr 11min
Also running SuperPi in the background.

Temps are for some reason down at 57/56

Using small FFTs in Orthos usually gives you nice consistent temps. Maybe your thermal interface material is breaking in now and you've dropped a degree or two. A little bit of temperature variation is normal. Are you using CoreTemp 0.95?

Sounds like your overclock is working great, especially for a chip that sucks. :D
Good work!

Is your 1.45 volts a bios setting? If so you end up with quite a bit less when in Windows running Orthos so your voltage isn't that high.

unclewebb:

Yeah, I'm still going strong here! Gotta love that extra 1.2Ghz from stock ;)

I've been running TAT, Right Mark CPU Clock Utility and Core Temp simultaniously.Most of the time the temps are always around 57-58 but a few minutes ago they were going all the way up to 64 for a short while.

But I'm happy so far, tomorrow I might try and lower the voltage a bit, from 1.45 to 1.425

Or maybe that's not really worth it?

My general rule is to run as much core voltage as you need to maintain Orthos stability and that's it. Your processor will never work as hard as it is running Orthos so if you're Orthos stable your overclock will be fine at most real world tasks. Everest is best at reporting core voltage. Your actual load voltage is the important number but it sounds like you're fine now.

Hi Bill!

Thanks for your quick reply!

I'm running a well-ventilated Antec Sonata II with two 120mm fans (one in and one for outtake)

On the E6850 I have a NINJA PLUS Rev.B with a 120mm fan blowing at full speed.

After running Orthos for 30 min I have core temps at 55 and 56, at 1.45v

*UPDATE* No the temps are 62 and 62

Am I doing ok here?

Thanks again!

Other spec:

Asus P5K-E (with latest bios)
8800GTS
Corsair 800Mhz 2*1024 DDR2

have you adjusted the FSB/PCI-E(NB/SB) voltages? That might be what stops you from reaching 3.6 on 1.35V. I'm fairly sure that the chip should run at 3.6 with the stock volts, not counting vdroop. Mine runs at 1.4V set in BIOS and 1.34V actual and I know my mobo is holding me back, even at those speeds. Anything higher and I run into FSB problems that can only be resolved with volts. Try bumping the volts on your mobo and giving a slight boost to the mem volts, I think they might droop at load as well.

Back