e6600 upgrade to sandy or go amd?

I would hold out until early to mid 2011 for either sandy bridge or the new amd bulldozer it will be worth it in the long run!!!

I agree with the second post. Wait and see, you never know, either one could be a dud. Or they could both be awesome.

I'd say it depends on your budget. Newer stuff usually demands a premium. And I bet with Sandy bridge it will drive current amd processors way down. I might pick up an x6 then or go with sandy bridge well have to wait and see.

best of the best in 2011 would likely be available towards the end of the year and have Extreme in the name and cost around $1000

I'd just wait and see. I'm probably going to use my Q6600 another year and see whats available. My money is on Intel to make the better chip than AMD though. I think the reason AMD is being so tightlipped about Bulldozer performance is because it probably sucks like the Phenom.

I for one am hoping for them to pull an Athlon 64 out of their hat again, but only time will tell.

I think the reason AMD is being so tightlipped about Bulldozer performance is because it probably sucks like the Phenom.

Phenom sucks? Which Phenom?

I for one am hoping for them to pull an Athlon 64 out of their hat again, but only time will tell.

Indeed, time will tell. 2011 will be an interesting year.

Phenom sucks? Which Phenom?

Well for the price phenom doesn't suck but it doesn't really compete with intel once you get their quads. What I think he means is that he wants bulldozer to really compete on all segments with intel but since amd isn't talking at all about it then it probably doesn't so they don't want to let the cat out of the bag so that people will actually buy it when it comes out, instead of going intel now.

What are you going to use it for?

The first batch of Sandy Bridges are more than enough for most, possibly over clocking to 5ghz, not to mention the clock-for-clock optimisations.

The later products just have more threads, memory bandwidth, price.

Back