E6600 to Q6700 on p5wdh deluxe

rufio

[H]ard|Gawd
With the price of Q6700 chips being halved, I was thinking its time for a easy power boost.

I currently have a 2 year old E6600 running at 350 fsb (x9 = 3.15 ghz) default voltage on a p5wdh deluxe. Ive read that the quads will work on this board with a bios update (done prior to swapping chips). Is it safe to assume that 350 fsb would be easily attainable at default voltage on the Q6700? Since this chip has a 10X multiplier that would be a nice boost to 3.5 ghz (x4). Cooling is a TT big typhoon/as5 and I will be transplanting everything into a nicer (hopefully cooler) rocketfish case from the best buy deal. I have 4 gigs of gskill ddr2 800 (rated at 2v), a 8800gt, 3 hard drives all being powered by a fortron 500w so I don't think power will be an issue.

Anyone with a similar experience or general input? (read as convince me to spend some money on myself for once)

I'm running a Q6700 @ 9X 400 on my 680i at 1.45 and another one at 10X360 at 1.4 on an IP 35 Pro...The IP 35 does not like 9X400 for some reason.....
The IP-35 will run 10X 300 at stock volts, anything more and it requires 1.4.
I don't see any reason that board wont run at least 3.0 @ stock volts 3.5 might be a stretch....but up the volts and im sure you will be fine.

And at the price they are at now, or will be soon, I don't know why you would not get one..:)

What in terms of a 'stretch' do you mean? Is it because they require more voltage or just cause of the thermal limits of shoving all those cores under that IHS; my motherboard just showing its age? Id like to stay reasonably close to 3.2 ghz, as clock cycles will be more beneficial to illustrator than memory timings, but I suppose that's just the green monster inside who hasn't built a PC in a few years (save a few frankendells at work, never list pc club lead technician on your design firm application...)

65 Nm quads draw lot of power, so although you might get 3.0-3.2 at stock volts, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 3.5 is just not gonna happen.
I'm not familiar with your cooler, but you will find out quickly if its any good..a cooler that works great on a dual, very well might start crying trying to cool a quad.
Best thing is put the chip in and see what you get.:)

With the price of Q6700 chips being halved, I was thinking its time for a easy power boost.

I currently have a 2 year old E6600 running at 350 fsb (x9 = 3.15 ghz) default voltage on a p5wdh deluxe. Ive read that the quads will work on this board with a bios update (done prior to swapping chips). Is it safe to assume that 350 fsb would be easily attainable at default voltage on the Q6700? Since this chip has a 10X multiplier that would be a nice boost to 3.5 ghz (x4). Cooling is a TT big typhoon/as5 and I will be transplanting everything into a nicer (hopefully cooler) rocketfish case from the best buy deal. I have 4 gigs of gskill ddr2 800 (rated at 2v), a 8800gt, 3 hard drives all being powered by a fortron 500w so I don't think power will be an issue.

Anyone with a similar experience or general input? (read as convince me to spend some money on myself for once)
975 board (P5WDH) don't like quad very well, it was designed for dual core and it supports quad via bios update. It will runs the quad but won't give you high overclocking. I can get E6600 up to 3.8ghz or higher but as soon I put the bad boy Q6600 in, it didn't even past over 3ghz. Anyway, have no problem with x38 board (see sig).

If you want to get Q6700 and plan to get high OC then you might pick up a new board, get x48 to P35 at least.

Hey, you might get better luck than I was. Who know?....prepare to spend some money on a new board as well if you want to push the Q6700.

975 board (P5WDH) don't like quad very well, it was designed for dual core and it supports quad via bios update. It will runs the quad but won't give you high overclocking. I can get E6600 up to 3.8ghz or higher but as soon I put the bad boy Q6600 in, it didn't even past over 3ghz. Anyway, have no problem with x38 board (see sig).

If you want to get Q6700 and plan to get high OC then you might pick up a new board, get x48 to P35 at least.

Hey, you might get better luck than I was. Who know?....prepare to spend some money on a new board as well if you want to push the Q6700.

That is the kind of information I am looking for. If it's going to be necessary to get the most out of the chip I might hold off on a chip and do a full build after I get my next profit-sharing bonus. This computer is still faster than my 2x2 ghz mac pro at work for what I do when I telecommute. Though i would still like to hear any other opinions before I make the final decision. :)

Back