E6600 to Q6600...does this make sense?

truffle00

2[H]4U
Specs: IP35 Pro, DDR 800 RAM, Seasonic M12 600 power supply

I used to run my E6600 at 3.6 GHz (9x400), indicating to me that my board didn't have a problem at 400 MHz FSB.

When I got my Q6600, I first tried a small overclock. I upped all voltages a little (to make sure I could boot) and set it at 7x400 for 2.8 GHz. It boots fine, temps were OK, but it would crash going into Windows or within a few minutes of being in Windows. I then tried moving voltages back to stock, just in case the extra heat was overwhelming the TRUE 120. Once again, no dice. At that point I said screw it and was running at stock multiplier and FSB for about the last 8 months.

Recently I've been wanting an overclock, so when Fry's had their sale on the Q9450, I bought one and was configuring a new build in my head. Before I spend all that money, though, I figured I'd give the Q6600 one last shot, which I did last night.

Once again, 7x400 @ 2.8 GHz was a no-go. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I then thought about setting it at stock CPU but higher FSB. So I went 6x400 MHz at stock voltages and this didn't work either. What could be causing this? Is there a voltage I can increase to fix this?

Then, for poops and giggles, I set the FSB at 333 and multiplier at 9 for 3 GHZ. I kept all voltages and stock, and what do you know? Gets into Windows fine and I gamed for 3 hours without a problem.

What should I do? I'd like to get my RAM running 1:1 as high as possible, so 400 MHz FSB would be great. How do I get there though?

Cliffs:
1) E6600 worked at 3.6 GHz = 9x400
2) Q6600 WON'T work even at stock CPU speed 2.4 GHZ = 6x400
3) Q6600 WILL work at 9x333 = 3 GHz with no increase in any voltage
4) What is the problem here, and how can I get my 400 FSB back?

I was previously running a Q6600 in the same board (specs in sig) at 400x8 (3.2GHz). My CPU needed 1.4v in BIOS to be stable at that setting. Also, my northbridge needed a decent boost also. The quad is going to need more mobo voltage to be stable at 400 FSB than your dual needed. Try 1.41 or 1.44v on the northbridge. Your RAM may also need a boost as well, as this board seems to undervolt the RAM in my experience.

agreed. I'm running 450 x 8 w/ my Q6700 and I need about 1.44v for the northbridge as well. Same with 400 x 9 and maybe a little less at 360 x 10. I switched to 1066 ram though and I don't run 1:1 ram:fsb ratios since I didn't see a performance diff on benchmarks. At best, higher fsbs tended to increase benches a little.

The RAM shouldn't need a boost because it was working fine at auto voltage before.

Thanks guys, I will try moving up the northbridge voltage to 1.44V tonight. One thing though...if I recall correctly, using uGuru to check temps showed mid-40s on the northbridge at idle in Vista. This was at stock voltage, and I think that the default warning temp in there is 50 or 55 C. Should I be looking at cooling the NB before trying to overvolt?

I've never had a problem with the northbridge overheating.

I only mentioned the RAM voltage because failure when increasing the FSB and lowering the multiplier can be related to RAM as well.

8*400 here @ 1.2 Volts

:eek:

I'm guessing my chip is lucky... been going strong for 7 months *knock on wood*.

I've never had a problem with the northbridge overheating.

I only mentioned the RAM voltage because failure when increasing the FSB and lowering the multiplier can be related to RAM as well.

Right, but I was also running it at 400 MHz before with the E6600. I can always bump it a notch or two since there is plenty of RAM out there specced at even 2-2.2V, but I'll first try the northbridge then worry about RAM.

did you try upping your MCH +1? FSB +1?
try upping your cpu voltage a bit more but be very cautious temps///crashing might occur

Thanks, I'll check out the MCH too.

I did up my CPU voltage by 0.1V but it didn't make it stable even at stock speeds. I'm trying the FSB first then going from there. I am just fine at stock volts at 9x333 = 3.0 GHz, so hopefully I can get some more out of this sucker before upping the CPU voltages.

i noticed the same thing when upgrading from the E6600 to Q6700 about the 400FSB. at 400FSB and 9x multi, the temps were too high and required about 1.5V to get there, but the board was stable iirc. with my Q6700, i can't seem to get past 1333 FSB without a major voltage increase...even then, its not always stable. i'm not sure if it is my mobo or my CPU hitting its limits, but i believe that it is the mobo b/c of the older chipset and only having a 4pin CPU power connection. i can post all the way up to about 3.5GHz (350FSB x 10) but i get a BSOD as soon as the system begins to load windows.

Back