e6600 overclock multiplier question

I've searched all afternoon for the answer but have not found anything. This is also my first real overclocked PC I've done and don't know all that much about it yet... so forgive me if this is a dumb question. What I would like to know is which is better:

A) Setting the mutliplier to 8x and the FSB to 425 Mhz (1700 QDR) for ~3.4 GHz Core Speed

B) Setting the multiplier to 9x and the FSB to 377.7 Mhz (1510 QDR) for ~3.4 Ghz Core Speed

Both scenarios are stable in Orthos with the highest temp recorded at 64 degrees C. FYI, I have the eVGA 680i mobo and a Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX cpu cooler mounted on the e6600.

higher FSB is always better, I believe

run some sandra & 3dmark benchmarks on 'em and see which is better

flint338 said:
higher FSB is always better, I believe

run some sandra & 3dmark benchmarks on 'em and see which is better
Thanks for the reply. That was my logic in trying but just don't know enough about it all yet. I'll try some benchmarking next and see what happens.

Interestingly enough, everything I can find except CPU-Z does not interpret the 8x muliplier when set in the bios and misreports the CPU Speed at 3.825 Ghz...

with crappy ram, a multiplier unlocked is nice. Even with though, dividers help even that scenerio.

Higher FSB is the ideal way to OC.

Thanks. I've settled on a FSB of 430.5 Mhz (1722 QDR) with an 8x multiplier for 3.44 Ghz CPU Speed. If I really knew what I was doing I could perhaps go higher, but I'm really pleased with getting it OC'ed and stable.

3.4 is really nice. Save the excess power for when you start feeling like u need a new processor.

Still wondering which mobo's you guys use with the E6600?

How is the P5W DH with overclocking?

Youri Carma said:
Still wondering which mobo's you guys use with the E6600?

How is the P5W DH with overclocking?
I guess I didn't mention I am using eVGA's 680i mobo... fyi, I have two raid arrays - one is RAID 0 consisting of two 74 GB WD Raptors; the other is RAID 5 consisting of three 320 GB Seagate Baracudas. Haven't had a single SATA issue what-so-ever.

After spending some time tweaking everything, I've settled on 444 x 8 for a core speed of 3.56 Ghz. I found I could go higher but couldn't keep the temperature under control (70+ degrees) under Orthos with my current air cooled setup.

I also have an eVGA 8800 GTX that is not currently overclocked.

Sandra Dhrystone is averaging right at 33,000. Whetstone is averaging right at 22,225.

I just ran 3dMark05 and got 18,626. I don't have much experience with average scores but this seems pretty good...

3dmark.jpg

planetboogie said:
I guess I didn't mention I am using eVGA's 680i mobo... fyi, I have two raid arrays - one is RAID 0 consisting of two 74 GB WD Raptors; the other is RAID 5 consisting of three 320 GB Seagate Baracudas. Haven't had a single SATA issue what-so-ever.
You have RAID 50=RAID 5 + RAID 0.
Interesting stuff RAID 0 together with RAID 5 the ideal combi :)
I am considering the Asus P5W DH Deluxe, 975X which also has quiet impressive specs.

Intel ICH7R South Bridge:
* 3 x Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s with Intel® Matrix Storage Technology with RAID 0, 1, 5 support

Jmicron JMB363 controller
* 1x Serial SATA 3.0Gb/s
* 1x External Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s (ASUS SATA-on-the-Go)
* Support SATA RAID 0, 1 and JBOD (by 1x External SATA & 1x Internal SATA)

Silicon Image 4723 Hardware RAID controller (ASUS EZ-Backup)
* 2 x Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s with RAID 0, 1 support
* Support RAID 10 (RAID 10=RAID 1+ RAID 0) cross Intel® ICH7R and Silicon Image 4723 controller

AI NOS™ (Non-delay Overclocking System)
ASUS PEG Link
Precision Tweaker:
- vDIMM: 12-step DRAM voltage control
- vCore: Adjustable CPU voltage at 0.0125 increment
- SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection): allowing FSB tuning from 200MHz up to 400MHz at 1MHz increment
- PCIe x16 Frequency: allowing PCIe x16 frequency from 90MHz up to 150MHz at 1MHz increment"
AI Overclocking (intelligent CPU frequency tuner)
Adjustable FSB/DDR ratio. Fixed PCI/PCIe frequencies.
ASUS AI Booster utility
ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

Most importantly, there is a third storage related ASIC on the board, which ASUS labels as EZ-Backup. On closer inspection, it turns out to be a Silicon Image SteelVine SATA RAID processor.
The SiI 4723 isn't a SATA controller by itself, but a SATA bridge instead, offering 2-port SATA 3.0Gbps RAID processing over a single SATA host and is 100% hardware controlled � No complex configuration, no messing with BIOS, no software and no drivers are needed. This allows everyday users to benefit from data protection, speed and volume management from RAID configurations without the need for manual setup or a high level of technical know-how. The SiI 4723 supports plug and play RAID 0, 1, JBOD and drive spanning configurations. Also, since it uses one SATA port from the ICH7R as its host port, it is also possible to cross configure RAID 10 (RAID 10=RAID 1+ RAID 0) on the ICH7R and SiI 4723.

I am not sure how it all is gonna work? I have 4x HD's SATA II that's not the problem.
Can I realy make a RAID10=0+1 config without losing my actual 4xWD3200KS RAID 0 (max.266 Mb/s) speed?
How does it work?
Is it also possible to make RAID 5 + RAID 0=RAID 50 on this board?

In fact I will have 2x RAID 1(=4x HD) in RAID 0 together which will certainly be less speedy in transfer as 4xHD in RAID 0 :(

planetboogie said:
I've searched all afternoon for the answer but have not found anything. This is also my first real overclocked PC I've done and don't know all that much about it yet... so forgive me if this is a dumb question. What I would like to know is which is better:

A) Setting the mutliplier to 8x and the FSB to 425 Mhz (1700 QDR) for ~3.4 GHz Core Speed

B) Setting the multiplier to 9x and the FSB to 377.7 Mhz (1510 QDR) for ~3.4 Ghz Core Speed

Both scenarios are stable in Orthos with the highest temp recorded at 64 degrees C. FYI, I have the eVGA 680i mobo and a Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX cpu cooler mounted on the e6600.

I have the Striker along with a X6800 and 2Gb 6400c4. I did a test like yours;

A) multiplier at 11, FSB at 291 giving me 3200

B) multiplier at 12, FSB at 267 (default) giving me 3200

I ran a few passes of SuperPi and 3Dmark06 and both were almost identical.

It seems that the majority of people can't up the multiplier so increasing the FSB is the only way to overclock. I will keep on testing but from what I research, up'ing the FSB appears to be the norm.

i used to have a p5w-dh and now have a 680i. while it is always better to run higher bus speeds, i havent noticed hardly any performance gain whether i run 9x400mhz or 8x450mhz on either board. and i have a feeling i wouldnt see much difference if i ran 7x514. but i see good performnce gains with any increase in clock speed, ie i get a nice boost when i increase from 3400 to 3600mhz, much more than i ever did with an x2 or opteron clockspeed being increased 6%. so rather than maxxing out fsb or even ram timings, go for highest cpu clock.

vanilla_guerilla said:
i used to have a p5w-dh and now have a 680i. while it is always better to run higher bus speeds, i havent noticed hardly any performance gain whether i run 9x400mhz or 8x450mhz on either board. and i have a feeling i wouldnt see much difference if i ran 7x514. but i see good performnce gains with any increase in clock speed, ie i get a nice boost when i increase from 3400 to 3600mhz, much more than i ever did with an x2 or opteron clockspeed being increased 6%. so rather than maxxing out fsb or even ram timings, go for highest cpu clock.

my experiences the same-- use what works on your setup--don't worry about if it's high fsb or high cpu multi that works best--use what works for your setup. these core 2's don't have the memory bandwidth issues the old p4's had so they gain the most out of higher cpu speed--regardless of how you get there. for instance you can get decent scores out of the core 2's running ddr-400--something you couldn't get out of the old presshots. :eek:

Back