e6400 And MSI 975X, Help Getting 400+FSB

practal

Gawd
I built my pc with high hopes of hitting around 4Ghz but Ive fallen very short. Ive been reading for weaks and I still havent gotten any further. I think Im being limited by my motherboard or ram. Im looking for some tips to take it further or see which components I should start replacing.

Intel e6400
MSI 975X V.2 (PUE)
2GB Wintec AmpX DDR 675
OCZ 700W GameXstream
EVGA 7800GTX
Segate7200.10 250GB 16MB in RAID0
CM Stacker

Right now I have the board running at [email protected] with Ram 1:1. The board will boot to 400 but hangs at various spots through the posting process.

For the cpu I have tried raising the voltage to 1.55 but it didnt make a difference. Temps are definatly not an issue. My cpus load temp is 38C, water cooled, and I have a NC-U6 on the northbridge with Dual 70mm Sunnon fans and a 40mm Scythe fan on the Southbridge. The motherboard does not allow the multiplier to be ran lower then 9 and it does not allow a divider on the ram so this has made it hard to weed out the problem.

I went with the Wintec Ram because forum posts were saying it maybe D9 and reviewers had it hitting around DDR2 1000 speeds. It will do 380FSB 1:1 at its stock settings of 4-4-4-12 1.9V. I have tried increasing the RAM voltage to 2.2v but it didnt budge. I have relaxed the timings to 5-5-5-15 and 5-6-6-15 but still no go. At stock timings with 266 FSB and RAM 1:5(DDR2 800) it starts hanging in the post screen also. This is my first system with DDR2 so Im not familiar with it. From what Ive read it continue to scale with more voltage and looser timings? Are there certain IsC that will go so far on stock settings but lower timings and more voltage will not push them any further?

I bought the MSI 975X because it had good reviews and was suppose to be capable of 450+ FSB. This board has many problems well documented across the internet and I have every last one of them. While reading hundreds of froum post on the board I have noticed almost all users that experience the problems also seem to cap at 360-380 FSB. If some one who has this board at a 400+ FSB could offer some tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to use my current set up to push my system as far as possible but I will replace whats needed if not. Im not sure if the memory was improperly identified as D9 or the problems of the motherboard are holding me back. The motherboard is a huge POS but I can deal with if I hit the point I want.

I'm currently running at 400 FSB without any post hanging problems. I haven't attempted higher because my load temps at 400 FSB already reaches 65C, which is my personal temperature limit.

First of all, which bios version are you using? Many will tell you that bios version 7.1B6 is the best bios, even though the latest official is 7.4.

Here are my current configurations

Bios Version 7.1B6
400FSB @ 1.43V
Speedstep = Disabled
C1E = Disabled
Virtualization Technology = Disabled
RAM Divider = 1:1
Manual Timings @ 4-4-4-12 @2.1V
PCI-E Voltage = 1.60V

From reading countless posts about this motherboard, it appears that it is very picky when it comes to RAM modules. If all the above basics have been covered, and you are still unable to reach 400+ FSB, it is very likely that your RAM could be the limiting factor.

I am currently using 7.4, I ve read everyone sying 7.16 was the best but I havent located it yet. My bios options are the same as yours except Virtualization Technology. I thought that was a good feature of C2D that should be enabled?

I was thinking it was the ram but I wasnt certain. I was hoping to figure out if the ram was not good for overclocking or not good for overclocking in the MSI board.

here's a link to bios 7.16
http://free-ri.t-com.hr/zbrnelic/

I'm not an expert in Virtualization Technology, I'm just going with other's suggestions. For the most part, I know it's used to enable multiple operating systems in the same machine. Whether it is on or off, I'm sure it won't make a significant impact on your overclocking abilities.

Back