E6300 Overclocks - Please Share Yours

I've had my E6300 @ 2.8ghz, pretty stable... so I tried upping the FSB even more, but whenever I go above 420FSB, games crashes/freeze.

I've tried loose timings 5-6-6-18 w/ vDimm at 2.1V (I have Corsair XMS2-5400C4 2x1gigs)
MCH and FSB +0.2 and tried various vCore from 1.35 to 1.39V with no success

Should I assume the RAM is holding me back, since upping the vCore doesn't help? what values should I change for max speed? and what how much vCore is needed when going 3.0ghz+ ??

right now i'm at 410FSB (2.87ghz) and it's pretty smooth
vCore 1.3375V
vDimm 2.0V 5-5-5-12 @ 820mhz
MCH and FSB at stock

Increase your ram speed in the bios and test w/ cpu and fsb at known good configs.

Jodiuh said:
Increase your ram speed in the bios and test w/ cpu and fsb at known good configs.

I tried 360fsb w/ a 4:5 ratio, the ram is now at 900mhz 5-5-5-15 and system seems to be stable.

If the ram isn't the problem, could it be the power supply?
Is 450w enough for a E6300 at 3ghz+? I have the Antec Smartpower 450w that came with the Sonata II. I only have a 7900GT, a 320GB and a dvd-writer along with the CPU. Or is it the heat that's affecting the computer? I still have the stock HSF that came with my E6300...

MATTRESS said:
Hey guys, i'm trying to decide on a new processor.

Right now, I'm running an AMD 2500+ barton core overclocked to hell and back (lol)

anyway... I've always been an AMD enthusiast... and now I'm interested in building a new rig.

I work retail, and have gone through all the intel retailedge training, and I'm verified, and have a coupon code waiting for me for the bundle which includes:

Windows Vista Ultimate
Intel E6300
Intel DG965WH board

all for $220 + s/h

Now, here's my predicament. I don't need a license for vista, I will be getting one free of charge within the next few months. Also, that board is garbage, and I won't be able to overclock with it.

I don't know if I should get the combo, then just sell off the vista license and board.. or just outright buy a the cpu, my own board, etc.

I guess basically what I'm getting at... if I'm building a new rig from scratch, is the e6300 a good choice? or should I shoot for a different cpu? I think I'm just babbling here and know the answer already lol... I just need some reinforcement i guess.

Thanks for your suggestions and time!
Get a 6400.... some ddr2 800 or ddr2 667 with d9 chips (TeamGroup) and a p5b-e or p5b-DLX

Just wanted you guys to take a look at this :D
My first 100%,and of course on an E6300,god i love this little Allendale...
Done today with my window open and some help from some mighty cold Norwegian air :cool: ....it was -7`c outside and with a little help from a Delta 120mm on top of my Lian Li.....
Link
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=148402

Norz said:
Just wanted you guys to take a look at this :D
My first 100%,and of course on an E6300,god i love this little Allendale...
Done today with my window open and some help from some mighty cold Norwegian air :cool: ....it was -7`c outside and with a little help from a Delta 120mm on top of my Lian Li.....
Link
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=148402

Nice SS!

What is your 24/7 and max orthos stable?

bobo-lob said:
I tried 360fsb w/ a 4:5 ratio, the ram is now at 900mhz 5-5-5-15 and system seems to be stable.

If the ram isn't the problem, could it be the power supply?
Is 450w enough for a E6300 at 3ghz+? I have the Antec Smartpower 450w that came with the Sonata II. I only have a 7900GT, a 320GB and a dvd-writer along with the CPU. Or is it the heat that's affecting the computer? I still have the stock HSF that came with my E6300...

I have the same PS and have had probs oc'ing my X2 with it,switched to the Corsair and no more random reboots........... also a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro might help,its pretty cheap cash wise as well.

dnottis said:
Nice SS!

What is your 24/7 and max orthos stable?

..lol..nowhere close to that,running her 3,250Mhz 1,375vcore 24/7.1,350 is also good,but sometimes fail orthos 5-7 hrs,can be other components dough.
I have not seen many Abit AB9 Pro running over 500+ fsb,someone can tell me who good this fsb clock on the Abit is? Very hard to bench her over 515fsb,and i have maxed the Abit out on fsb vith vmch vmod...2,0vmch for 533fsb
:eek:

Crooked Paul,
Nothing was wrong with your S3 board. I had DS3 and the same happened to me. All you have to do is reset your CMOS memory. what I did was unplug the powersupply and put a jumper on the CMOS jumper pin, located close to the battery. wait for a couple minutes and plug the PS back in and wait a minutes. your board will be back to default.

Crooked Paul said:
Hey guys, I just registered. This is my first post! I wanted to chime in and tell you that the S3 might not be your best bet. I got an S3 and ran into some problems (see below). I can't speak for the Biostar board, but on the Gigabyte side I think a lot more people are running happy overclocks with the 965P-DS3 than the S3. So you might want to spend the extra $20 and spring for the DS3. That's definitely what I'd do if I could go back in time three weeks.

Here's my system:

Core 2 Duo E6300
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
2 x 1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 (1.9-2.0v stock)
eVGA 7600GT KO
(plus a 250GB SATA HD and an IDE DVD/CD burner)

I ran this setup stable at 3.15GHz (450x7.0) with the memory at 1:1 (meaning it was running 900Mhz at 5-5-5-12). Didn't do any systematic stress testing, but it ran pretty much 24/7 like this for a week while I played through Half-Life 2. The CPU was running pretty hot under load (65C in Core Temp), so I went into the BIOS to throttle it back a little (until my new HSF arrived), and BAM -- it's dead. Won't post at all, doesn't give any error beeps, just keeps spinning the GPU/CPU fans for a few seconds and then rebooting endlessly.

Ugh. After EXHAUSTIVE testing that ruled out the power supply, the RAM, and the videocard, I concluded I must have a fried mobo. Various forum posts indicated that others had had trouble with this board, too, so I sent it back to Newegg. The replacement gets here tomorrow or the next day, and if it doesn't work I am going to go ballistic at Gigabyte HQ.

For what it's worth, my suspicion is this: Something's up with the MCH on some of Gigabyte's 965 boards, but not all of them. I dunno if it's a BIOS thing or a heat issue or this mysterious "strap" setting I don't quite understand yet... I'm fervently hoping that with the replacement board (which might even be a newer rev if I'm really lucky) and a new BIOS that they keep promising "real soon now" I'll be able to take my rig up to 3.4GHz or so.

But anyway, that's just my experience. YMMV. But as I said, if I were you I'd definitely consider dropping another Andrew Jackson on the DS3. I think it'll save you a lot of potential headaches, especially since the BIOS for the DS3 is much more mature.

As for your memory question: Yes, you are correct. If you have memory rated at DDR2-800 and you set your FSB to 400MHz, your RAM is running at stock speed (400MHz * 2 = DDR2-800).

Crooked Paul said:
Hey guys, I just registered. This is my first post! I wanted to chime in and tell you that the S3 might not be your best bet. I got an S3 and ran into some problems (see below). I can't speak for the Biostar board, but on the Gigabyte side I think a lot more people are running happy overclocks with the 965P-DS3 than the S3. So you might want to spend the extra $20 and spring for the DS3. That's definitely what I'd do if I could go back in time three weeks.

Here's my system:

Core 2 Duo E6300
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
2 x 1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 (1.9-2.0v stock)
eVGA 7600GT KO
(plus a 250GB SATA HD and an IDE DVD/CD burner)

I ran this setup stable at 3.15GHz (450x7.0) with the memory at 1:1 (meaning it was running 900Mhz at 5-5-5-12). Didn't do any systematic stress testing, but it ran pretty much 24/7 like this for a week while I played through Half-Life 2. The CPU was running pretty hot under load (65C in Core Temp), so I went into the BIOS to throttle it back a little (until my new HSF arrived), and BAM -- it's dead. Won't post at all, doesn't give any error beeps, just keeps spinning the GPU/CPU fans for a few seconds and then rebooting endlessly.

Ugh. After EXHAUSTIVE testing that ruled out the power supply, the RAM, and the videocard, I concluded I must have a fried mobo. Various forum posts indicated that others had had trouble with this board, too, so I sent it back to Newegg. The replacement gets here tomorrow or the next day, and if it doesn't work I am going to go ballistic at Gigabyte HQ.

For what it's worth, my suspicion is this: Something's up with the MCH on some of Gigabyte's 965 boards, but not all of them. I dunno if it's a BIOS thing or a heat issue or this mysterious "strap" setting I don't quite understand yet... I'm fervently hoping that with the replacement board (which might even be a newer rev if I'm really lucky) and a new BIOS that they keep promising "real soon now" I'll be able to take my rig up to 3.4GHz or so.

But anyway, that's just my experience. YMMV. But as I said, if I were you I'd definitely consider dropping another Andrew Jackson on the DS3. I think it'll save you a lot of potential headaches, especially since the BIOS for the DS3 is much more mature.

As for your memory question: Yes, you are correct. If you have memory rated at DDR2-800 and you set your FSB to 400MHz, your RAM is running at stock speed (400MHz * 2 = DDR2-800).

I am getting sick of people thinking 65C core temp is hot. 65C is well within NORMAL operating temperature. Start worry when you get closer to the 85C core temp max when you "start" to do damage.

Definitely sounds like you hit the 450FSB D9 DS3/S3 issue.

Would people please stop posting the DS3 450 FSB limit garbage! I've had this board past 470 already. You don't need a damn Asus board to get up that high.

fireluxx said:
Would people please stop posting the DS3 450 FSB limit garbage! I've had this board past 470 already. You don't need a damn Asus board to get up that high.

I know, seriously. I have my S3/DS3 up to 500 without a hitch.

idk why you guys talk about 450 FSB wall. i hit 480 just fine on my L626A E6300 with the CHEAP 2GBPK G.Skills.

I just got an L626A E6300 from Newegg. I haven't plugged it in yet as the rest of my system isn't here yet. I'm wondering how well this particular stepping is supposed to OC? I was hoping for a L629B as I've heard those are monsters.

fireluxx said:

It is not garbage (DS3 & S3 motherboard). I am guessing you have the newer C2 revision as you are running 2x1gig ram.

People with the older C1 chipset revision are most definately striking the D9 ram 450FSB issue, that is still largely unsolved.

Battleneter2 said:
It is not garbage (DS3 & S3 motherboard). I am guessing you have the newer C2 revision as you are running 2x1gig ram.

People with the older C1 chipset revision are most definately striking the D9 ram 450FSB issue, that is still largely unsolved.

Can you explain C1 and C2? what are those?

I built my c2d months ago and been away from this forum for awhile. 450 was my limit too. I thought it was due to either my RAM (2x1GB patriot) or E6300.

foxnews said:
Can you explain C1 and C2? what are those?

I built my c2d months ago and been away from this forum for awhile. 450 was my limit too. I thought it was due to either my RAM (2x1GB patriot) or E6300.

C2 stepping of the 965 northbridge.

My own E6300 overclock:

460x7 = 3.22GHz, Orthos & 3DMark06 stable
GA-965P-DS3 rev 1.0
OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 PC6400 Rev 2
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Swiftech MCX159 on northbridge
1.4V Vcore
2.2V VRAM
+0.1V NB

475x6 not stable at all (POSTs, does not boot Windows, fails Memtet86 instantly), RAM is a bottleneck. 57C under load w/8800GTS running. Plenty of headroom left on this CPU, could probably get it to 3.4GHz or more with better RAM. I'm satisfied though.

Setup:

C2D E6300 (of course)
Gigabyte 965P-DS3
2GB Geil DDR2 800
X1950 Pro
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Currently running 465FSB so a total of 3.25GHz. Very nice performance boost over stock. Great "budget" rig.

I decided to organize my post better:

E6300 @ (534x7) = 3738MHz (200% OC!)
RAM: 2x1GB Mushkin Redline PC8000 @ 4-5-4-11 1:1 (1068MHz)
Mobo: P5B Deluxe/WiFi Bios 0804
Vcore in BIOS: 1.5V
Vcore at idle (measured with DMM): 1.454V
Vcore under load (measured with DMM): 1.437V
Cooling: Custom WC
Temperature under load: 62C

EDIT: Failed Orthos after exactly 2.5 hrs... I'm sure I can get this stable!

Right now my everyday use OC is 400x7 = 2800 MHz
Vcore in BIOS: 1.15V
Vcore at idle (measured with DMM): 1.125V
Vcore under load (measured with DMM): 1.117V
Temperature under load: 37C :eek:

2800.PNG

EVGA 680i
stock cooler (thermalright Ultra 120 on the way!)
PQI DDR2 667 4-4-4-12 1T

467 @ 7X for 3.27Ghz :cool: CPU
DDR 809 unlinked, 4-5-5-12 1T :D RAM

I'm buying the cooler because i havnt left this test on for any prolonged time. I did a 20 min orthos just to make sure the thing could at least function at 100% and was getting enough voltage (which is still set to auto actually). But it was getting pretty hot. I chickened out when it hit 62. So now im getting an Ultra 120 w/ Antec green led 120mm fan!

but, I bought a hitachi 160 gig right. I looked at the rear "Huh... sata cables have no gaurd, gonna have to be careful not to snap off connector".
well I fogot to knock on wood. Antec P180. went to pick it up, forgot to put the thumb screw back to hold in the drive cage. so it slides out. lands in that perfect spot where the hard drive has to take the whole impact. snaps off sata connector. It landed on carpet, and was only a 2ft drop so im hoping everything inside is still fine. well see. So, my buddie mike is saudering a cable on for me.

Running mine on a Gigabyte S3 rev.C2 450x7= 3150MHz, 2.1v vdimm, all other voltages stock. I can't seem to get it stable past 450, even with +0.3 MCH & FSB, 1.4v core- get orthos errors. Boots to windows fine at 3.5GHz, but fails orthos right away. I can, however, run 500x6 perfectly fine at 2.1v vdimm and all other voltages stock.

does anyone have any advice for pushing to 500 on EVGA 680i?

I just ordered a thermalright Ultra 120 w/ an antec tri cool 120mm fan, which should keep it frosty. but i just cant post passed 472, Ram is locked 1:1 for now, iv given it everything i can voltage wise, but i just cannot reach 480, and I Really REALLY want the magical 500!

please help me out here guys! is mine (btw is b6) just a bum overclocker T.T. well, im happy with this... but like all ocers, i want mooore!

after a few more mins of research, I have found, it really is luck of the draw. I knew this, but iIdidnt think it could mean a differance of 300Mhz. I really want 3.5 T.T. Ill try one more time to pump 1.5Vcore but, donno if thats gonna help.

Do any of the other voltages have some magical impact on overclocking performance?

Can your RAM even do 1000 MHz?

I just have mine at a easy 400x7, that should be reachable by most people. Managed to tweak all my voltages back to stock +.1v, except for core left it at 1.4v to compensate for any v-drops.

MrWizard6600 said:
does anyone have any advice for pushing to 500 on EVGA 680i?

I just ordered a thermalright Ultra 120 w/ an antec tri cool 120mm fan, which should keep it frosty. but i just cant post passed 472, Ram is locked 1:1 for now, iv given it everything i can voltage wise, but i just cannot reach 480, and I Really REALLY want the magical 500!

please help me out here guys! is mine (btw is b6) just a bum overclocker T.T. well, im happy with this... but like all ocers, i want mooore!

after a few more mins of research, I have found, it really is luck of the draw. I knew this, but iIdidnt think it could mean a differance of 300Mhz. I really want 3.5 T.T. Ill try one more time to pump 1.5Vcore but, donno if thats gonna help.

Do any of the other voltages have some magical impact on overclocking performance?

You need to set your RAM to UNLINKED and then up the FSB independently of the RAM. The 680i is specifically designed to do this, so take advantage of it!

How high do you all think an e6300 would go on a phase change system? I'm getting one that I'm putting in a system with a Prometia cooling systyem.

theelectic said:
You need to set your RAM to UNLINKED and then up the FSB independently of the RAM. The 680i is specifically designed to do this, so take advantage of it!

yeah i have, no effect. still wont do more then 472

and, when i set it to 1:1, does it run the ram at DDR472 or does it run it at 472 and hence DDR 944 :eek:

Hi guys,
I just wanted to thank Kyle Bennett. I read his review of the E6300 with the Gigabyte DQ6 I believe it was. Then read this thread. Because of this info I decided my new build would be a E6300 on a DS3.

Here's what I ordered so far:

1 Gigabyte DS3 = $149.99 zipzoomfly.com
1 E6300 Duo Core 2 = $185.90 Zipzoomfly.com
1 Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Xtreme Performance $272.80 Zipzoomfly.com

Total Zipzoomfly cost = $608.69

1 BFG Tech GeForce 7950 GT Vid card = $265.63 Newegg.com
2, 250Gb Seagate Sata drive = $79.99 each. Total W/shipping = $168.01 Newegg.com
1 Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Retail = $124.99 Newegg.com

Total Newegg cost = $555.10

Samsung SH-S182M LightScribe 18X Double Layer DVD+/-RW Drive (Black) Bulk w/Software = $38.45 supergooddeal.com

Total spent so far = $1202.24

I'm ordering a new case & I have a friend who knows alot more than I about water cooling helping make sure I get the right water cooling stuff. :)

Now I posted in another forum that is dedicated to water cooling, (I will leave it unnamed), requesting info on what water block would fit my northbridge chip. When I mentioned my plans to Over clock the E6300 to 3.2ghz he insisted that it would never over clock past 2.8 if I was lucky. I put a link to this thread & to the thread with the database info Link here so he could see that it is indeed possible.

One of the reasons he gave that I would not go past 2.8 was that the stepping for a processor I could buy right now would not be the same as the cpu that everyone here has been using. Now I'm not sure if this is true or not.he said this Before I posted the link to this thread.

I guess it won't matter because I was able to get an cpu that was from the same week production run as alot of the cpu's I see here.

Anyway, I have one of my guild buddies that wants to get the same motherboard, cpu & memory as what I listed here so he can do the same thing. BUT I have to ask. If he buys a cpu right now. Will he be able to over clock it as much as what has been posted here? At least to 3.2 Ghz?

Thanks for any responses I may get to this question. He is quite worried now since I think he already ordered the cpu.

ooo look at the purdy colors.

I havnt seen anything other then stepping B6 for a while now. I suspect you, and your friends Conroes will be no differant.

MrWizard6600 said:
ooo look at the purdy colors.

I havnt seen anything other then stepping B6 for a while now. I suspect you, and your friends Conroes will be no differant.

Like that huh? LOL

Man that is good news. Mike will be happy! :D

I wasn't too worried really. That guy was lecturing me that I should learn to do my homework before I buy. I explained that I have been doing this for over 20 yrs now & that I HAD done my homework. In fact besides this forum, I had researched it for weeks before I decided, as I always do. He just doesn't have a clue I guess. I wouldn't have even been in that forum except that I have NO experience in Water cooling. Always used air.

But after reading that Kyle was having a problem getting past 3 Ghz without water cooling, I figured I better learn more about it & include it in my build.

well, I'm not gonna type it out all over again but, this is what happened to my E6300 last night. Long story short I managed 3.5Ghz :D
oh man. I'm just so happy right now. ohh man.

OK, well, a while back I posted a thread in Hard and FS forums stating that i had reached 3.26Ghz on this board. Well, I had mixed feelings about this overclock. I had surpassed the 2.93GHz clock of the X6800. As such, a few super PIs and Orthos put me ahead of it in performance. I probibly wasnt in all benchmarks, because of the cache size differance of course, but still, 300MHz vs an extra 2mb of L2? Usually the extra 300MHz would give better performance. At the same time, I found numerous reviews stating 2000+FSB @ 7X on this board. Being a relativly experianced overclocker I thought I could hit those speeds. So, I had turned my $209 CDN proc into a $1300CDN proc. But i hadnt meet what Anand among other sites had told me I could make.

Anywho, In my overclocking to the 3.26Ghz, I had come across a gap where the thing just wouldnt post. Numbers 11, 13, 19 and 26 were popping up all over the place on my little LED display whenever I tried to boot, 11 was the most common. My manuel told me nothing about any of those numbers. So at first, I thought the best I was gonna get was 1600. but then i tried going up in 50MHz incriments. 4 failed posts later, i hit an area where the thing would boot! it wouldnt post at 1840, and it wouldnt post at 1870, regardless of voltages. So, i thought this was the highest id get, and that I was on an island!

Now, Iv overclocked my fair share of intel boards (fried a few along the way), and there are sometimes some numbers procs just dont like. But I have never seen a gap this big.

Well, I got my thermalright Ultra 120 and Antec fan today, so i was feeling adventerous. 1.5625V to the CPU. and what do i get from all that extra voltage? 1 extra Mhz. Yeah, It wouldnt post at 1660 FSB before, now it would, but not at 1661.

So, what the hell, I found this oc island, now I'm off to find another one. The plan: a CD player, some good tunes, Evga & Nvidia 680i OC manuel (can be found here), I've read several other guides including XtremeSystems guide, and a couple Jolt colas. Start time: 00:00 hrs. The objective was to go up in 2Mhz incriments (I didnt want to miss anything just incase this island only happened to have a single grain of sand above sea level). So off I went.

An hour and a half later, my Nvidia 680i logo shows up on my screen. I spill half my jolt cola overmyself as the thing posts. I hit delete, there it is. 2040 FSB, 3570 CPU. Im just about to see where the highest point on this island is. I dont actually have a hard drive right now to run orthos on it, but I will soon! I pray its stable!

Anywho, I strongly recomend to ALL EVGA, Biostar, or BFG 680i owners to push way beyond what seems to be the highest possible post. Mine will not post between 1620 and 1840, or between 1860 and 2020. Maybe yours has the same problem.

Hope that helps!

yeah i have, no effect. still wont do more then 472

and, when i set it to 1:1, does it run the ram at DDR472 or does it run it at 472 and hence DDR 944 :eek:

If you have your FSB at 472 and your RAM 1:1, then your RAM runs at 944 MHz DDR.

I find 1:1 to be the most stable on my P5B Deluxe by far, hence the need for excellent RAM to get a high OC out of an E6300.

If you have your FSB at 472 and your RAM 1:1, then your RAM runs at 944 MHz DDR.

I find 1:1 to be the most stable on my P5B Deluxe by far, hence the need for excellent RAM to get a high OC out of an E6300.

yeah, thats what I thought. just makin sure, I had a friend of mine tell me this isn't the case...

anywho, check (new!) sig, I've got budget ram. eventually i spose ill pick up some Dominator or redline ram, but, thats for when this ram shortage passes. Thats for when ebay has it because some poor guy is upgrading to DDR3. Same goes for a 4mb L2 Conroe proc actually. I love sapping off upgrading people. :D

Prime stable 12hrs E6300 L29B106 SL9SA Retail from egg
Still pushing this proc, haven't had much time to OC and Prime more.

retoc.jpg

Back