E6300 Overclocks - Please Share Yours

How is this for budget ??? !!!!

Cheap Samsung pc4300 533MHZ running at 700MHZ @ 1.9V !!!!! 4/4/4/11 $100 (hardforum)
C2D6300 @ 2.45 GHZ @ 1.304 V $180
And my video card 7900 GTO at 700 / 800 $245
And my Asus P5B Newegg Open Box Special for $95
$40 7300 WD 80gb hd
old 400 watt ps, old case

$650ish total

edit:
think i could push the memory further if i bumped the voltage another .1? Or i prolly just about squeezed the max out of it?

overclock.JPG

vcoverclock.JPG

Havuk: That crappy memory of yours is killing performance. I took my 1.8v DDR2-667 and managed to get DDR2-940 speed out of it by boosting the voltage to 2.1 volts. Give it some more juice or trade it for something decent so you can get the rest of the performance out of your new E6300. They're beasts with some good memory.

Is an E6300 overclocked to 3GHz+ faster than a stock E6600? Also, how much slower is the E6300 than the E6600 when both are overclocked to the max?

Here's an interesting test:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/623-10/intel-core-2-duo-test.html

With equal MHz, the extra cache is worth virtually nothing for most apps. Even hard core users would never notice a difference
using an E6300/E6400 or an E6600/E6700 if they were all overclocked to the same MHz.

The extra cache did give them increases of 5% to 6% in FPS when gaming.

Keep in mind though that games in high res with high AA / AF are generally GPU limited so the difference will be much smaller
than 5% if you play your games like most people do these days.

Anandtech has another good comparison:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802

Spending money on extra cache isn't money well spent. Buy the cheapest C2D you can find, a decent board and some good memory,
overclock the hell out of it and be amazed.

That makes me feel better, lol. Had an E63, but the RAM couldn't cut it. Cheaper to go w/ E64, hehe. :D

Here's my most recent overclock. I seem to have hit a wall at anything past this. My temps are still good but Orthos fails within 2 hours. Since it's a calculation error, I'm thinking it's the cpu and not the memory. More volts, I guess! Anyways, my original goal was just to break 3Ghz and I got there. Problem is, now I want to go farther!!! :D

overclock4.jpg

Best overclocker I've seen in a long time.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2940MHz (7x420)

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 mobo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128323

1GB (2x512) Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145566

Interestingly enough, the ratings for the memory is 5-5-5-15, but it runs fine at 5-5-5-12 1:1. No issues, no complaints, dirt cheap IMO. Also, for some reason the default timings are 5-5-5-18 2:3.

The temps are a bit high for me, in the mid 60's at 100% load, but considering that this is using the stock HSF, and I did a quick job of seating it (read: not properly seated), I think it's incredible. No errors, no problems, just quick and easy OC'ing.

I am seriously impressed by some of the speeds I'm seeing others hit. I'm almost at 3.0GHz and I've done nothing but change the FSB speed. Easy easy easy.

Having some serious OC problems!

After seeing 5 million positive threads on multiple forums, I wanted to take the plunge on an OC; which is something I haven’t done since the good ol Celeron 300A days 8 years ago.

Hardware:
GA-965P-DS3 (@ F7 bios)
E6300
Leadtek 7600GT
G.SKILL 2 x 512mb PC2-6400 (model F2-6400CL5D-1GBNQ) 5-5-5-15
iGreen Coolermaster (super efficient $120 power supply 600W)
Thermaltake Bigwater SE (water cooling)
WD 250gig caviar (pair @ raid 0)
Total: $1060

I spent some coin on quality components so this would NOT be a fruitless endeavour…..and so far it has been frustrating and painful. All of the following mods were done at BIOS level, not with the crappy unstable Gigabyte software. Using Orthos as a stress (for now).

• Bone stock the system runs cold, we’re talking CPU at 16C and board at 30C. Water cooler works. 
• On stock voltage I max out at a stable 288 FSB but at 290 it hard locks.
• @ 290 with the board set to Auto regulate voltage the gigabyte immediately pumps the voltage to 1.41 on the CPU and 2.10V (from 1.9) on the memory. Temp jumps to 43C but it’s rock solid.
• @ 300 and first reboot I get a series of rapid BIOS beeps like a stuck or faulty keyboard. WTF!!!! But the volts stay the same (1.41 and 2.1), temp hits 44C on load and system is totally stable.
• @ 310 – no rapid beeps this time, system boots fine at same volts, temp spikes to 47C on load, and Orthos hard locks the computer solid after 3 min 35 sec of a mem/cpu stress test.

I poked at +.10 volts on MCH and FSB and was able to keep stable at 320 FSB eventually but I feel I’m pressing my luck far too much compared with the countless nice results others have posted. So here are the questions:

1. Firstly, has anyone received those rapid BIOS beeps from the DS3 board before?
2. If a component could be faulty, which is most likely the problem? Memory?
3. Since the G.Skill mem is rated 1.8v to 2.0v, is it ok to pump both the MCH +.2 as well as the DDR volts to +.2? The DDR2 seems to run stock at 1.90v.

Any help is infinitely appreciated. I researched as much as I could before asking.

thanks,
-bri

Here is the OC that I did on the DS3, hopefully this quiet those that think the board has a problem with Micron D9:

She got up to 69C on one core at this speed, so I will be needing better cooling before I go any further. :)

oce6300sv1.jpg

fireluxx said:
Here is the OC that I did on the DS3, hopefully this quiet those that think the board has a problem with Micron D9:
My Micron D9 made it up to 472 MHz on a DS3 board but no higher. From there to 500 MHz is the problem area for the Gigabyte boards.

The Asus P5B-E seems to have an easier time of getting the E6300 chips up to 500 MHz and a little beyond.

My E6300 does 3409 MHz 8+ hrs. Orthos blend stable.

I don't really care how high i get her running SuperPI, so i never bothered trying higher than what i can do 24/7.

sardonic.n7 said:
My E6300 does 3409 MHz 8+ hrs. Orthos blend stable.

I don't really care how high i get her running SuperPI, so i never bothered trying higher than what i can do 24/7.

what kind of temps have you been getting?

fireluxx said:
Give the version of the D9 chips and I will see if I can match it or beat it.
I was using the Micron D9GMH chips which are only rated to DDR2-667 speed.

Corsair uses the D9GMH chips on their DDR2-1067 modules and I've heard of Asus P5B users hitting 500+ MHz with them but I hit a wall at 472 MHz on my Gigabyte DS3.

http://www.techgage.com/article/corsair_1gb_twin2x1024-8500

I admit that I didn't put in a lot of time trying to get over this hurdle as 3300 MHz from an E6300 was plenty. I've also heard of other users that make it up to 470 MHz on the DS3 but not any higher. Your D9GKX chips are rated for DDR2-800 speed so it will be interesting to see if you can push your combo any higher.

I'm still undecided whether my next build should be another DS3 or if I should try the Asus P5B-E. Try getting 480 or 490 or 500 MHz out of your combo and I will stick with the DS3. Either that or I will need to buy an E6400 which should make life easier getting to 3500 MHz and beyond.

I'll be getting a new heatsink today, so we'll see if it can be accomplished. Wish me luck. :D

Threw on a new Zalman 9500 LED and these are now the results, the 470 MHz Micron bug has been fixed in F7:

oce6300mw0.jpg

fireluxx said:
Threw on a new Zalman 9500 LED and these are now the results, the 470 MHz Micron bug has been fixed in F7:
Thanks for the info fireluxx. The DS3 I put together was rock solid stable up to 472 MHz and it looks like I will be sticking with the DS3 for my next build.

When CL5 DDR2-800 memory runs reliably at CL4-4-4 at DDR2-980 speed there's only one thing you can do. Buy it! :D

Most people have no idea how generic CL5 Micron memory performs even without a heat spreader. The Micron DDR2-667 CL5 memory I used had the lower rated D9GMH chips but with 2.1 volts it could run at DDR2-944 speeds with CL4 timings.

If you back the timings off to CL5-5-5 maybe yours will do the magic 500 MHz. I think it will be more for bragging rights though as 7x490 with CL4 timings will probably outperform 7x500 at CL5.

I think using SuperPi mod 1.4 I hit 196 seconds for 8M.at 3300 MHz and CL4. Let's see a sub 200 second SuperPi 8M run!

bobbydole said:
what kind of temps have you been getting?

I run 1.45V in bios which translates to 1.42V idle/1.4V load.
TT BT cooler.

I get around 50C idle, 65C Orthos load.

Seems this E6300 is even more concave than my former E6400, hence the cozy temps.

Demondred said:
Having some serious OC problems!
• Bone stock the system runs cold, we’re talking CPU at 16C and board at 30C. Water cooler works. 
• On stock voltage I max out at a stable 288 FSB but at 290 it hard locks.
• @ 290 with the board set to Auto regulate voltage the gigabyte immediately pumps the voltage to 1.41 on the CPU and 2.10V (from 1.9) on the memory. Temp jumps to 43C but it’s rock solid.
• @ 300 and first reboot I get a series of rapid BIOS beeps like a stuck or faulty keyboard. WTF!!!! But the volts stay the same (1.41 and 2.1), temp hits 44C on load and system is totally stable.
• @ 310 – no rapid beeps this time, system boots fine at same volts, temp spikes to 47C on load, and Orthos hard locks the computer solid after 3 min 35 sec of a mem/cpu stress test.

I poked at +.10 volts on MCH and FSB and was able to keep stable at 320 FSB eventually but I feel I’m pressing my luck far too much compared with the countless nice results others have posted. So here are the questions:

1. Firstly, has anyone received those rapid BIOS beeps from the DS3 board before?
2. If a component could be faulty, which is most likely the problem? Memory?
3. Since the G.Skill mem is rated 1.8v to 2.0v, is it ok to pump both the MCH +.2 as well as the DDR volts to +.2? The DDR2 seems to run stock at 1.90v.

Any help is infinitely appreciated. I researched as much as I could before asking.

I'm using the P5B-E, so i cant confirm 100%, but i noticed my system was very unstable at 270-350FSB, i then notice some one say try 401... i did and it was rock solid!... now i'm clocking at 2.91 an going for 3Ghz. i'd say take the plunge clock high... the worst that would happen is you need to reset the bios...

annaconda said:
Umm these are some nice overclocks. You guys are using command rate 1t or 2t.

Unless you have a new Nforce motherboard there is no 1t or 2t. Intels chipsets have always been 2t with no ability to change it.

Hello All,

I was looking for opinions on what motherboard, cpu and memory combination to go for. I am a newbie when it comes to overclocking but I would like to get into it. I was just wondering from everyones exepericence whats the best way to go as far as cpu mobo and memory. I was looking at the E6300 or E6400, recommendations please!!

Sorry guys i dont have time right now to read this entire thread so if i could get a quick summation...

What is the average overclock for these? Im sure theres some sort of mean emerging.

Should i get the Biostar P965PB or the Gigabyte S3? Heard great things about both.

One question thats prob stupid but i need to ask...

If i buy DDR2-800 memory im actually giving myself some overclocking headroom, correct? The standard FSB is 266 on these babies, so since DDR2-800 is specced for 400 im actually giving myself (7*400 = 2800) on this chip before i even start overclocking my memory, correct?

@ 3.19 was my highest; was a little unstable, but I think I can get it stable if I tweaked other things... just didn't have the time yet.

Running 100% super stable at 2.8x Ghz, pretty good overclock already :)

Cali3350 said:
Sorry guys i dont have time right now to read this entire thread so if i could get a quick summation...

What is the average overclock for these? Im sure theres some sort of mean emerging.

Should i get the Biostar P965PB or the Gigabyte S3? Heard great things about both.

One question thats prob stupid but i need to ask...

If i buy DDR2-800 memory im actually giving myself some overclocking headroom, correct? The standard FSB is 266 on these babies, so since DDR2-800 is specced for 400 im actually giving myself (7*400 = 2800) on this chip before i even start overclocking my memory, correct?

Hey guys, I just registered. This is my first post! I wanted to chime in and tell you that the S3 might not be your best bet. I got an S3 and ran into some problems (see below). I can't speak for the Biostar board, but on the Gigabyte side I think a lot more people are running happy overclocks with the 965P-DS3 than the S3. So you might want to spend the extra $20 and spring for the DS3. That's definitely what I'd do if I could go back in time three weeks.

Here's my system:

Core 2 Duo E6300
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
2 x 1GB G.Skill DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 (1.9-2.0v stock)
eVGA 7600GT KO
(plus a 250GB SATA HD and an IDE DVD/CD burner)

I ran this setup stable at 3.15GHz (450x7.0) with the memory at 1:1 (meaning it was running 900Mhz at 5-5-5-12). Didn't do any systematic stress testing, but it ran pretty much 24/7 like this for a week while I played through Half-Life 2. The CPU was running pretty hot under load (65C in Core Temp), so I went into the BIOS to throttle it back a little (until my new HSF arrived), and BAM -- it's dead. Won't post at all, doesn't give any error beeps, just keeps spinning the GPU/CPU fans for a few seconds and then rebooting endlessly.

Ugh. After EXHAUSTIVE testing that ruled out the power supply, the RAM, and the videocard, I concluded I must have a fried mobo. Various forum posts indicated that others had had trouble with this board, too, so I sent it back to Newegg. The replacement gets here tomorrow or the next day, and if it doesn't work I am going to go ballistic at Gigabyte HQ.

For what it's worth, my suspicion is this: Something's up with the MCH on some of Gigabyte's 965 boards, but not all of them. I dunno if it's a BIOS thing or a heat issue or this mysterious "strap" setting I don't quite understand yet... I'm fervently hoping that with the replacement board (which might even be a newer rev if I'm really lucky) and a new BIOS that they keep promising "real soon now" I'll be able to take my rig up to 3.4GHz or so.

But anyway, that's just my experience. YMMV. But as I said, if I were you I'd definitely consider dropping another Andrew Jackson on the DS3. I think it'll save you a lot of potential headaches, especially since the BIOS for the DS3 is much more mature.

As for your memory question: Yes, you are correct. If you have memory rated at DDR2-800 and you set your FSB to 400MHz, your RAM is running at stock speed (400MHz * 2 = DDR2-800).

500FSB, 3.5GHz stable on my Gigabyte 965P-DS3.
Using a Zalman 9500 AT, 1.4275 vcore, F7 bios, and no extra cooling on the north bridge.
*does fail prime after about 6 hours or so, stable for gaming though.

Hey guys, i'm trying to decide on a new processor.

Right now, I'm running an AMD 2500+ barton core overclocked to hell and back (lol)

anyway... I've always been an AMD enthusiast... and now I'm interested in building a new rig.

I work retail, and have gone through all the intel retailedge training, and I'm verified, and have a coupon code waiting for me for the bundle which includes:

Windows Vista Ultimate
Intel E6300
Intel DG965WH board

all for $220 + s/h

Now, here's my predicament. I don't need a license for vista, I will be getting one free of charge within the next few months. Also, that board is garbage, and I won't be able to overclock with it.

I don't know if I should get the combo, then just sell off the vista license and board.. or just outright buy a the cpu, my own board, etc.

I guess basically what I'm getting at... if I'm building a new rig from scratch, is the e6300 a good choice? or should I shoot for a different cpu? I think I'm just babbling here and know the answer already lol... I just need some reinforcement i guess.

Thanks for your suggestions and time!

Running complete stability... Orthos, games, 24/7

E6300 @ 3.0 ghz @ 1.35 volts (I think I can hit higher if I had better ram) 44C idle 55C coretemps at full load
DDR2 667 @ 856 2.1volts (This is far as the ram would go, time for Vdimm modd)
Asus P5B vanilla

crazyfinx said:
Stable 495FSB@3465Mhz, stock cpu voltage...
I have a similar setup and that's GREAT considering how much droop the P5B has. I'm only @ 3400, but need about 1.4V for Large Orthos 8+. Stuck a Tuniq on there, so temps are in check.

Marvelous said:
...I think I can hit higher if I had better ram...
You will. :D Newegg's whipped out the auto-notify on the Crucial 10th.

Back