e6300, g.skill hz, asus p5b deluxe, overclocking overview & help

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
HSF - ZALMAN 9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler copper
MotherBoard - ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
Ram - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ - Retail
Video Card - XFX PVT80GTHF9 GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
PwrSupply - Enermax 620W

bios shots.

so, i can boot into windows at 3.5 but i can't get stable. someone help me get up there. i can do a good 12 hr stable on current settings in OCCT full stress. load temps range from 60-65 on TAT

Change the following settings:
PCI Express.............120
PCI Clock................. 33
Spread Spectrum......Disabled
Mem V......................lower it to 2.25 (if not go higher)
FSB Termination........ 1.45
ICH Chipset............... 1.215

Loosen the timings of your Rams, try 5-5-5-15
Dram write recovery....6
Static read control.......Auto

All your other settings should be good, let me know if it still does not work, I have to look into my settings and compare to your 2nd screen shot.

Change the following settings:
PCI Express.............120
PCI Clock................. 33
Spread Spectrum......Disabled
Mem V......................lower it to 2.25 (if not go higher)
FSB Termination........ 1.45
ICH Chipset............... 1.215

Loosen the timings of your Rams, try 5-5-5-15
Dram write recovery....6
Static read control.......Auto

All your other settings should be good, let me know if it still does not work, I have to look into my settings and compare to your 2nd screen shot.

wow i admire your clocks. currently testing your configs.

edited! will not boot

I wouldn't exceed 110 PCIe mhz on that board.

Can you hit 480FSB? or is 472 your limit?

wow i admire your clocks. currently testing your configs.

edited! will not boot

Thanks, although I only do 3220mhz when working (internet, email, etc.) and go 3640mhz with games...I know I have that little bit more punch if and when I really need it.

Anyway, try disabling Vanderpool Technology and loosening up rams to 6-6-6-15 and Dram write recovery...6.

We have the same Mobo and chip, if things don't work at those settings, try using only 1 stick of ram, if still no go, borrow different rams...maybe that's the weak link!

P.S. maybe your ram likes more Volts, you can leave it at your settings of 2.3v.

Thanks, although I only do 3220mhz when working (internet, email, etc.) and go 3640mhz with games...I know I have that little bit more punch if and when I really need it.

Anyway, try disabling Vanderpool Technology and loosening up rams to 6-6-6-15 and Dram write recovery...6.

We have the same Mobo and chip, if things don't work at those settings, try using only 1 stick of ram, if still no go, borrow different rams...maybe that's the weak link!

P.S. maybe your ram likes more Volts, you can leave it at your settings of 2.3v.

vanderpool is off. i'm goin to try 6-6-6-15. will that hurt my clocks really bad?
seems like i can stress the cpu on 3.4. but when ram goes in. seems like a prob occur

I dropped my E6400 multiplier to 7X the other day just to test it out and it really seemed to like 500 X 7.

I think your memory timings are holding you back. Your memory is running DDR2-1000 at this speed so try to get it stable at CL5 first.

In the bios on the memory page from top to bottom I used 5-5-5-15 5-35-5-10-5-11

At the bottom of that page I set PEG Link Mode to Faster which seems to help out with the P5B Deluxe keeping the graphics card at x16 instead of dropping back to x1.

For CPU voltage you will probably need about 1.500 to 1.525 in the bios.

For memory voltage I was OK at 2.25 volts but 2.30 volts won't hurt.

I set the NB voltage to 1.45 and that's it. Everything else I left on AUTO.

With my Intel heatsink and fan I start to hit the wall because of load temps around 75C when running Orthos. With your super cooler I think my system would be Orthos stable at these settings for many hours instead of just a few. Good luck.

will that hurt my clocks really bad?

Once you get things going, then you can tighten your rams...My OC of 3640 mhz - my ram timings of 4-5-4-15 won't work but 5-5-5-15 does and at 3731mhz 5-5-5-15 won't work 5-6-6-18 does. I do not know why?

If you are afraid of hurting your equipment, then that's the point where you have to back off. Anything you do from this point on will have a derogatory effect to the longevity of your rig. Remember, you are pushing the envelope here, do not proceed if you will cry if something stops working..think about that for a minute. Proceed only with utmost caution.

Donkers: Do you know what CoreTemp numbers you're getting when running Orthos at 533 X 7?

I've reached the limit of the Intel heatsink so there might be a Tuniq in my future.
Anandtech likes them best.
http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2906

I'm very happy with the P5B Deluxe Wifi. Effortless overclocking so far.

Am very happy with mine too, but I think I've hit close to the limit already:( ...at 533x7 my Core Temp was at 56C at most because I benched in the garage where it was 8C with a big fan blowing cold air (wind chill factor) to the mobo. I did 3801mhz and Orthos killed it in 15 secs., was stable enough to do Super Pi 1M though. It hasn't been cold enough for me to do another series of benching, I'm looking for -1C the very least. I still have my stock HSF sitting on my desk here, I'm still thinking what I'm going to do with it.:)

486x7
5-5-5-15 5-35-5-10-5-11

vcore 1.485v
mem @ 2.3v

25min occt stable which cannot be done before. good news... still not stable at 3.5 though. but if i can pull off a good 10-12 hr OCCT stable, i would be very happy @ 3.4
temps at load right now is at approx 65C.

i did the vcore pencil mod too

edit
29min CRASHED. i'm disappointed. sigh

I was thinking about heading to the garage but thought that might be considered cheating so instead I'm in the basement at a nice 12C. Only half cheating now!

I haven't done a good Orthos run at 500x7 so I thought what the hell.

cpuz3505ii4.png

Memory is set at 2.25 volts and 5-5-5-15 6-42-5-10-5-11

I think the AS5 is finally doing its magic. I'm running a couple of degrees colder than after I first installed it. I'm at 69C which is better than the low to mid seventies before.

CPU voltage is at 1.5125 volts.

Keep playing with it chinked|out. When you're on the edge it takes a lot of determination. I'm hoping to get a nice run tonight for the [H] OC database using the Intel heatsink and fan.

I was thinking about heading to the garage but thought that might be considered cheating so instead I'm in the basement at a nice 12C. Only half cheating now!

I haven't done a good Orthos run at 500x7 so I thought what the hell.

cpuz3505ii4.png

Memory is set at 2.25 volts and 5-5-5-15 6-42-5-10-5-11

I think the AS5 is finally doing its magic. I'm running a couple of degrees colder than after I first installed it. I'm at 69C which is better than the low to mid seventies before.

CPU voltage is at 1.5125 volts.

Keep playing with it chinked|out. When you're on the edge it takes a lot of determination. I'm hoping to get a nice run tonight for the [H] OC database using the Intel heatsink and fan.

i found that OCCT can kill orthos pretty darn bad. as for settings, i really don't know what to put anymore

What you need to do is to isolate teh bottleneck which is either the mobo or your cpu.... easier to fix something when you know what exactly needs fixing...

Keep the settings you have right now ( including Donker's settings )

First check the rams, I doubt very much that its your problem but you need to test to be sure..

fsb=333
mem=1000mhz
vmem=2.3v
5-5-5-15
fsb ter=1.5
nbv=1.5
ich=1.215

Run memtest for 20min.... if good then its not your ram...

Next is mobo... same settings except..

Multi=6x
fsb=480
mem=960

Run superpi 16M.. if ok go 490, test.. 500 and at 510 run a 32M superpi and maybe even that OCCT...

If that passed then its your CPU thats the bottleneck and we'll go from there.... Good luck

If going to the garange to bench can be considered cheating then we might as well accuse people changing the thermal paste to AS5 as cheaters.... lol

If that's the case, then I can concoct a cold (outside) air intake manifold from the window to the mobo and back out again. Done properly and sealed to where I would like it would require some time and effort, I might just do that, but who am I going to please? I know what my rig is capable of and that's what really matter's. I'm happy doing LAN parties and gaming all day with no glitch at 3.64 Ghz at room temp., that's all I care about...:D

486x7
5-5-5-15 5-35-5-10-5-11

vcore 1.485v
mem @ 2.3v

25min occt stable which cannot be done before. good news... still not stable at 3.5 though. but if i can pull off a good 10-12 hr OCCT stable, i would be very happy @ 3.4
temps at load right now is at approx 65C.

i did the vcore pencil mod too

edit
29min CRASHED. i'm disappointed. sigh

Mine from top to bottom is: disabled, disabled, 5-5-5-15-6-42-10-10-10-10 Auto, Peg/Pci, disabled

cpu v 1.525

This should do it I hope, that's all I got...

What you need to do is to isolate teh bottleneck which is either the mobo or your cpu.... easier to fix something when you know what exactly needs fixing...

Keep the settings you have right now ( including Donker's settings )

First check the rams, I doubt very much that its your problem but you need to test to be sure..

fsb=333
mem=1000mhz
vmem=2.3v
5-5-5-15
fsb ter=1.5
nbv=1.5
ich=1.215

Run memtest for 20min.... if good then its not your ram...

Next is mobo... same settings except..

Multi=6x
fsb=480
mem=960

Run superpi 16M.. if ok go 490, test.. 500 and at 510 run a 32M superpi and maybe even that OCCT...

If that passed then its your CPU thats the bottleneck and we'll go from there.... Good luck

the final thought, i thinkt he RAM is extremely picky. i haven't found a good settign for even 3.4... for some settins it seems like the ram craps out before the cpu. cpu seems to stress longer when RAM is idled. but when ram is loaded, the stress isn't very long

Which is exactly why I wanted you to test the rams first.... You can test it or you can assume it, the choice is yours....

With my previous settings it ran at 500 X 7 = 3500 MHz for about 3 hours before rebooting half way through the night.

Since then I backed it back down to the usual 420 X 8 = 3360 MHz and I decided to re-install XP to a Raid 0 on the ICH8R Intel controller. If anyone else is thinking about that I don't really recommend it. The small increase in speed really isn't worth cutting your reliability in half.

After the install everything was working OK but when re-installing programs I started getting the occasional freeze, usually when transfering files from my USB backup drive to the new Raid. I've added some more voltage and so far so good. I still need to do some more testing though.

My memory seems reasonably happy at: 5-5-5-15 5-35-5-10-5-11

I'd start with 5-5-5-15 6-42-10-10-10-11
or maybe 5-5-5-18 6-42-10-10-10-11
or maybe 5-6-6-18 6-42-10-10-10-11

For bios voltage settings I'm using:
Memory = 2.25
CPU VCore = 1.4500 at 3360 MHz
CPU VCore = 1.5125 at 3500 MHz
FSB Termination = 1.400
NB VCore = 1.55
SB VCore = 1.60
ICH Chipset = 1.215

It's all trial and error but these settings should get you something reasonably stable as long as your memory is capable. For testing I like to drop the multi by 1 and set the memory and FSB at what you're trying to run at and make sure it's 100% stable. When you're confident, set your multiplier back to normal and adjust CPU voltage accordingly and try to get it stable again.

I had to reinstall XP a couple of times cos or my raid.0... I really need to pick up a cheap ide to do test and stuff but anyways..... 2 things I figured that was killing my driives were teh pci over 120 and also teh sb voltage... backed the pci to 110 and I leave the sbv to auto and Ive been ok since.... that onboard raid is crappy, but its better than nothing...

luihed: Interesting comments about raid 0.

I had a very stable system and after a couple of months of testing and tuning I decided it was time to stop playing with it and get everything installed on it.

I installed to a raid 0 on the Intel controller and I started having issues. The overclock settings that were previously working great for me were all of a sudden causing problems. I played around with voltages and timings and etc., but I still kept having random freezes. Sometimes when transferring files but sometimes when my computer was just sitting idle I'd come back to it 5 minutes later and the screen would still be visible but the mouse was frozen so I'd have to re-boot. Temps of the CPU and GPU were in the 30C range.

I was scratching my head trying to think of what had changed. I was starting to think that maybe in one of my high temp experiments or something I had damaged my C2D.

With raid 0 I couldn't get things truly stable so I went back and reinstalled XP to a single hard drive. Now my system is running great again with no freeze ups.

When using raid 0 HD Tach showed a healthy increase in performance but in day to day use any improvement was tough to notice. My opinion is that the Intel ICH8R doesn't like being aggresively overclocked like the rest of the components on the P5B Deluxe.

Edit: I had problems with the SB voltage set to AUTO or set manually to any one of the available voltages in the bios.

I wouldn't exceed 110 PCIe mhz on that board.

Can you hit 480FSB? or is 472 your limit?

its fine going over 110 , but your sata drives might lose connectivity, it varies from board to board, if you lose your drives, just back it down to 115

@chinked out

I have basically the same setup that you have, check my sig
also i see that your using 1.5v , whats the value in asus probe or speedfan after vdroop?

@donkers

how much voltage are you putting through it for 3.7?

guys I would also recommend doing the pencil vdroop mod as its very easy and effortless and it helps
i didnt even take it out of my case to do it, it took 5 strokes from a number 2 pencil and a flashlight
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1990912&postcount=17

how much voltage are you putting through it for 3.7?

I.65v but I think that is high since I'm able to do 3640mhz with 1.525v, maybe it will run with less...I havn't been doing much tweaking lately as I am currently focused with work.

Yo, chinked|out - any success?

There is no reason to exceed even 100mhz on the pci-e bus.... Most hard overclockers LOCK the pci-e bus to 100....

I am sitting here looking at your sig and wonder...why would you say that when you don't even come close to my clocks?:confused: (credebility issues here) Then, I wonder..why would Asus make the P5B Dlx with PCI-E settings up to 150 (yes, there is a reason why).:confused: Then lastly, I wonder if your E6400 can even post 3731 mhz with PCI-E at 100?:confused: Because mine won't at 100, nor 110, but hey it works at 120.:eek: And that to me is a very good reason to exceed 100!:)

I am sitting here looking at your sig and wonder...why would you say that when you don't even come close to my clocks?:confused: (credebility issues here) Then, I wonder..why would Asus make the P5B Dlx with PCI-E settings up to 150 (yes, there is a reason why).:confused: Then lastly, I wonder if your E6400 can even post 3731 mhz with PCI-E at 100?:confused: Because mine won't at 100, nor 110, but hey it works at 120.:eek: And that to me is a very good reason to exceed 100!:)

Well, if it works for you go for it. I'd like to see someone test their 3D performance with the standard and overclocked settings - I find it hard to believe it makes much difference at all, especially given the risk to your system and data.

Your credibility is suspect when you insult other members. Fact is, increasing the pci bus is usually detrimental, especially to less experienced overclockers. His problem is not the pci bus speed. And increasing the pci bus is VERY OFTEN dangerous to the hard drive data and overall system stability, and MIGHT gain you one whole frame per second in a bench. If it works for you, fine, but it is NOT a standard overclocking technique.

I don't give a damn about your clocks, I give a damn what I am happy with. Just because you got a better overclocking cpu means jackshit.

Go away, you are an irritating member, and I don't think many are going to listen to you.

Well, if it works for you go for it. I'd like to see someone test their 3D performance with the standard and overclocked settings - I find it hard to believe it makes much difference at all, especially given the risk to your system and data.

Sure, but please start your own thread with that - what we are trying to do here is help this dude get to 3.5 Ghz, so if you don't mind....

Sure, but please start your own thread with that - what we are trying to do here is help this dude get to 3.5 Ghz, so if you don't mind....

And you are not helping much, noobs like you come here starting to insult long time members, doesn't fly real well.

Your credibility is suspect when you insult other members. Fact is, increasing the pci bus is usually detrimental, especially to less experienced overclockers. His problem is not the pci bus speed. And increasing the pci bus is VERY OFTEN dangerous to the hard drive data and overall system stability, and MIGHT gain you one whole frame per second in a bench. If it works for you, fine, but it is NOT a standard overclocking technique.

I don't give a damn about your clocks, I give a damn what I am happy with. Just because you got a better overclocking cpu means jackshit.

Go away, you are an irritating member, and I don't think many are going to listen to you.

Do you have something to contribute here? Please check the title of the thread and see if you're in the right place! No offence and sorry if I touched a nerve, but again...what we are doing here is helping this dude get to 3.5 Ghz...I hope everyone is clear with that!

And you are not helping much, noobs like you come here starting to insult long time members, doesn't fly real well.

I learned my techniques from a master of this art, if you start reading this from the begining you might understand what we are doing here. Please if you don't have anything to contribute, please start a different thread. BTW, I'm no noob, and yes, I was once a noob and will never forget that!

Back