E5-4650 Turbo Mode

402blownstroker

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2012
Needed a DC fix there so I picked up a 4P E5-4650 setup. How does one force the cores into turbo mode? For some reason it looks like they are running at stock 2.7GHz or..... is the proc filesystem lying?

Needed a DC fix there so I picked up a 4P E5-4650 setup. How does one force the cores into turbo mode? For some reason it looks like they are running at stock 2.7GHz or..... is the proc filesystem lying?

Out of curioscity what boinc RAC does that rig get?

If you installed the [H] Ubuntu DC appliance run sudo i7z what does it say. ?

If you installed the [H] Ubuntu DC appliance run sudo i7z what does it say. ?

Unfortunately I am big fan of Ubuntu, but maybe I will try it to see what is happening.

customminer, I have not started to run any bionic projects as I am still setting things up. Currently I am running a simple multi-threaded python script that will 'work' all the cores.

/proc/cpuinfo could be lying. Run i7z utility to see realtime CPU performance. Even if you're not running Ubuntu, the i7z utility should be available in a package repository for your distro.

i7z does show that the cores are running at 3098MHz :) Time to narrow down the bionic project and start to work.

Unfortunately I am big fan of Ubuntu, but maybe I will try it to see what is happening.

customminer, I have not started to run any bionic projects as I am still setting things up. Currently I am running a simple multi-threaded python script that will 'work' all the cores.

Can't wait to see how fast these crunch boinc tasks!
You should definetley check out gridcoin - get rewarded for your boinc contributions; t'is why i'm getting into boinc. That and geek cred for running supercomputers.

/proc/cpuinfo shows the rated speed of i7 processors regardless of their set BCLK*multiplier, turbo, or speedstep. I believe this was clarified by Linus on a mailing list somewhere (I don't have the link handy and may be misattributing) to be the intended behavior a few years ago in spite of the fact that this was a difference in behavior from most previous platforms which would tend to report the maximum frequency achievable (by powernow/speedstep) in /proc/cpuinfo when overclocked. So, you have to use turbostat/i7z or time a loop or something to figure out how fast it's actually running.

Can't wait to see how fast these crunch boinc tasks!
You should definetley check out gridcoin - get rewarded for your boinc contributions; t'is why i'm getting into boinc. That and geek cred for running supercomputers.

I'm not a fan of asking people to switch teams in their DC forums...Doesn't Gridcoin require you to join their team as well? I know Ripple Labs did before they pulled the plug.

Doesn't Gridcoin require you to join their team as well? I know Ripple Labs did before they pulled the plug.

I actually don't think it does - the instructions just say download and run the BOINC client. I'll try to verify this.

I am seeing an interesting issue. Initially I had a PSU that did not have enough +12v amperage. I picked up a SeaSonic 1250w PSU and that definitely helped out. If I run the client with 32 threads, things seem stable. If I go any higher in the thread count, the client will crash any where from 5 to 45 minutes of process. Other thing is that running with 64 threads is only about 5% to 10% better than 32. If there some BIOS setting that needs to be set? MB is a Supermicro X9QRi-F+.

Back