e5-1680v2 would like to get one…

sunny7day

n00b
i would like to get one, but can this overclock?? This cpu has been out for half year already but still no overclock result.

Nope.. its fully locked and as far i know all of those 8c xeons ivy are locked.. you have to see the E5-1660 which if i can remember right its unlocked...

No one knows if they are unlocked as they are OEM only and AFAIK none have ever been tried in a regular X79 motherboard. Only HP and Apple have used them in their systems. Many vendors online have had listings for it for nearly a year...not one has ever had any verifiable stock on it. Since they first came out, I've searched diligently for one. I'm not willing to buy a full Mac Pro or HP Z420 to get one, however.

Nope.. its fully locked and as far i know all of those 8c xeons ivy are locked.. you have to see the E5-1660 which if i can remember right its unlocked...

Are you sure it is locked? If so I am not going to get one.

No one knows if they are unlocked as they are OEM only and AFAIK none have ever been tried in a regular X79 motherboard. Only HP and Apple have used them in their systems. Many vendors online have had listings for it for nearly a year...not one has ever had any verifiable stock on it. Since they first came out, I've searched diligently for one. I'm not willing to buy a full Mac Pro or HP Z420 to get one, however.

Yes you are right, no one have it in stock also but only listing. So I would have to buy the HP Z420.

And isn't it possible to OC with BCLK like the 3820?

And isn't it possible to OC with BCLK like the 3820?

Nobody knows for sure, as they're OEM only and I've personally yet to see one outside of a Mac Pro or Z420. If they're unlocked, it should be both multiplier and BCLK. If not, neither will work. I contacted Acmemicro about it last spring and they said the chips are on allocation, meaning they'd have to irder one and then seek an escalation to have it filled. I was quoted at least a month for delivery.

If you do get one, be sure and let us know if it is unlocked...:D

The price of the 1680v2 is even more expensive than the 5960X, it should have something special, i think.
And yes i will let you know if i bought one.

The price of the 1680v2 is even more expensive than the 5960X, it should have something special, i think.
And yes i will let you know if i bought one.

The E5-1680 V2 does have one benefit...25MB of cache vs 20MB for the 5960X. Not a huge benefit by any means, but it's something..:)

More level 3 cache (25 vs 20)
More RAM support (256gb vs 128gb)
ECC Memory support

It's a server processor. Its special benefits will be server related. It's not meant to be price competitive with the 5960x.

Nobody knows for sure, as they're OEM only and I've personally yet to see one outside of a Mac Pro or Z420. If they're unlocked, it should be both multiplier and BCLK. If not, neither will work. I contacted Acmemicro about it last spring and they said the chips are on allocation, meaning they'd have to irder one and then seek an escalation to have it filled. I was quoted at least a month for delivery.

If you do get one, be sure and let us know if it is unlocked...:D

I thought you can OC with BCLK even if the cpu is multipler locked.

I thought you can OC with BCLK even if the cpu is multipler locked.

The BCLK straps that the E and K SKUs (as well as most of the E5-1600s) use as an alternative method to multiplier overclocking are locked on the dual-CPU chips and non-K SKUs by the use of an integrated patrol circuit on the processors, which prohibits booting at anything other than the default strap. This circuit is disabled on the overclockable SKUs. For Socket 1366 Xeons, this circuit was external to the CPU, which is why EVGA was able to omit it and unlock overclocking on the SR-2 motherboard. Intel integrated the circuit onto the dies for later CPUs, allowing only the default strap to be used and eliminating overclocking entirely on SKUs which they haven't expressly permitted it, except for a meager 5% or so (5MHz) at the default strap value. Since high core count Xeons typically have a relatively low maximum multiplier, their overclocking ability is very small.

Technically, I believe it would be possible for Intel to lock the multiplier and unlock the BCLK straps, but I haven't heard of any CPU that is configured in this manner...typically CPUs enabled for overclocking will have both multiplier and BCLK straps enabled.

Technically, I believe it would be possible for Intel to lock the multiplier and unlock the BCLK straps, but I haven't heard of any CPU that is configured in this manner...typically CPUs enabled for overclocking will have both multiplier and BCLK straps enabled.

Then what about the I7-3820? Is that partially unlocked or what?

Well, overclocking and servers do not tend to agree. Overclocking in itself can generate instabilities, which is something servers cannot be due to the high volumes of data they handle, and they must be precise. That is why none of the s2011 Xeons can't be OCed, not even by straps. You might want to OC via pure BCLK, but as some had said, if you can get 5% more speed stable you'd be lucky.

The only reason to consider a Xeon CPU nowadays is if you really, and I mean really will use more than 6c/12t, and no, gaming or benching will not use that many cores efficiently.

Also, you can't compare the i7-3820 to any Xeon nowadays. The i7's have some circuitry either enabled or disabled compared to full blown Xeons to allow for extra capabilities, and are not meant to be compared as i7's are for "prosumers", while Xeons would be meant for "mission critical" computers.

Well, overclocking and servers do not tend to agree. Overclocking in itself can generate instabilities, which is something servers cannot be due to the high volumes of data they handle, and they must be precise. That is why none of the s2011 Xeons can't be OCed, not even by straps. You might want to OC via pure BCLK, but as some had said, if you can get 5% more speed stable you'd be lucky.

The only reason to consider a Xeon CPU nowadays is if you really, and I mean really will use more than 6c/12t, and no, gaming or benching will not use that many cores efficiently.

Also, you can't compare the i7-3820 to any Xeon nowadays. The i7's have some circuitry either enabled or disabled compared to full blown Xeons to allow for extra capabilities, and are not meant to be compared as i7's are for "prosumers", while Xeons would be meant for "mission critical" computers.

Most of the E5-1600 Xeons can be overclocked, by both multiplier and by BCLK straps. Xeons can be used for many tasks, can excel at many tasks and many are used by "prosumers" as well. Overclocking can generate instabilities, but done correctly and wisely can exploit a processor's headroom (which the Xeons have in abundance), without pushing it to the limit and without compromising data integrity. Servers don't typically overclock at all and the vast majority completely lack the ability to do so, but when someone wants to use spend the extra money for a top quality Xeon and use the processor in an enthusiast environment, he or she should have the option available to use if they wish.

which eons have unlocked multipliers? i mean sometimes you can force turbo speeds 24/7 but nothing really beyond that

thank you all for your input. i am going to buy a HP workstation and test it out myself.
It is rare that a CPU is out for more than half a year and still dont have overclock result.
Lets hope i can be the first one to test and have no problem booting and overclock the cpu!

Back