E4500 at 3ghz vs Opteron 165 at 2.7 ghz

heftysmurf

n00b
I am thinking of trying an e4500 and wondering how much faster it would be than my current Opteron setup and where I may see the most improvement besides gaming.

well other than gaming what else do you do? And even then I dont know if thats worth the jump in ship. Maybe if you were planning on jumping ship for a quad core or a dual core that was going to clock up to 4ghz and you were heavy into media encoding. Or if you already had an intel system and all you had to do was simply drop in a new chip I could understand. But given the situation I just dont know if its an economically viable idea unless you got money burning a hole in your pocket.

any c2d at 3ghz will eat an x2 or opty 3ghz alive in media encoding duties.

Doing this upgrade for free. I do some gaming but I have a 24 inch so the res I play it I think I smack my 8800gts limit. I do a lot of video encoding and manipulations of large files. I am also a bit bored with my Opty setup. Have had that tweaked for a year+ and very little tweaking left to do. I am maxed on my setup and basically will be on the ground floor with the new one. Have not played in Intel land in a LONG time. I was thinking many may have made a similar jump and just curious to opinion.

You won't be disappointed with a C2D. I upgraded from an Opteron at 2.8GHz and it much faster. As far as system responsiveness, it's quite similar, so overall your computer won't feel snappier (apps still load off of hdds!) , but you'll get better fps in games, and better overall performance.

The E4500 @ 3.0 will beat the living shit out of the opty 165 @ 2.7 at every task you can throw at it, except wasting electricity.

It will be faster, and for free it's definitely worth it.

I have an e4500 running at 3GHz and it beats the snot out of my old X2 4400+ running at 2.6GHz so it should do pretty much the same to the opty at 2.7GHz

You should notice that overall processing power will increase substantially. You'll get better FPS in your games (dependent on video too!) and your apps will perform faster. ie.) encoding times will reduce. But as far as things loading up, and system responsiveness I didn't notice much of a difference, it is better, but not like lightyears faster or anything like that. But I'm running the same 3 drive Raid 0 config, so that's probably why.

Thanks I have raid 0 two drive so it looks like do not expect basic Windows running to have anything too noticeable but expect encoding times etc to get MUCH better. Good enough for me :)

Thanks. I was wondering if going through all the BS of a rebuild was worth it.

Nah, given the extra facts its definitely worth it. I'm sure you wont be disappointed by the outcome given what it is that you do not to mention its FREE!!

What areas did you feel the most difference?

Just about everything had atleast some improvment, but the msot improvement was for stuff like encoding, file compression in winrar, I had a few games that were CPU limited, that is no longer the case. UT3 for example was very cpu limited during a large firefight exchange that it was unplayable by my standards, definitely not playable to the point of me being competitive in the game. The e4500 @ 3GHz makes that issue a thing of the past.

I'm also running a stock Intel HSF, though not the one that came with the e4500. I'm using the stock one that came with my Q6600 becuase the one that came with the 4500 was half the size and would not have been adequate for overclocking. YMMV on which HSF you'll get with the 4500 though becuase I've bought two of these CPU's, the first came with the same HSF that my Q6600 came with but the 2nd one came with a half height cooler that is included in most of Intel's low end processors like Celerons.

Glad I found this thread, I am in the exact same situation...I have an opteron 170 @ 2.75 GHz paired with an 8800 GTX. Nice to see that upgrading to an E4500 would not be a waste.

I'm hoping that my upgrade from an Opty 165 @ 2.6GHz with a 7900GS to an E8400 @ 4.0GHz with an 8800GT will get me a few more FPS in games ;)

I'm hoping that my upgrade from an Opty 165 @ 2.6GHz with a 7900GS to an E8400 @ 4.0GHz with an 8800GT will get me a few more FPS in games ;)

:) Could you post here when you find out? Compare the CPUs using the same GFX card?

Probably not. When I pull the Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Opty 165 and 7900GS from the case, the Gigabyte DS3L, E8400, and 8800GT are going right in. Not worth it for me to shuffle graphics cards since it's a case without a lot of room inside.

i was going from venice 2.6 Ghz, with exactly the same gfx, 7900gt, i got a few more fps in games, but keep note that i'm limited to 1280x1024.

Back