E4300 pin mod and ECS motherboard problems

rcrez

Limp Gawd
Hi Everyone
I've been trying the E4300 pin mod with the ECS motheboard that came bundled together at Fry's the other day.

I did the mod correctly and I was able to boot up at 266mhz FSB resulting in a CPU speed of 2.4ghz. Next step I went to push the FSB to 300mhz (as allowed by the ECS motherboard).

It doesn't boot up. The power supply comes on but I get no video.

Look at the pictures here:http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=498167&page=2
That guy was able to hit 300mhz easily on the same ECS motherboard after modding his E4300 to run at 266mhz.

I've tried and 284mhz is my maximum that I can get. This is a (284/266) = only 6% overclock of PCI/AGP bus.

I know that a 13% overclock of PCI/AGP bus is allowable since before I did the mod I was able to get my FSB up to 226mhz. Thats (226/200) = 13% overclock of PCI/AGP bus.

So why do I get a blank screen when I try to run my PCI/AGP at higher than 6% out of spec with a CPU FSB of 266mhz when I was able to run my PCI/AGP at 13% out of spec with a CPU FSB of 200mhz?

Anything else I could be doing wrong?

Okay so I just found out that at 284mhz FSB, I can run non-video benchmarks (such as super PI) to completion.

For something like 3dmark 2001, it crahses (blue screen) the moment the video starts.

I had to set the FSB to somewhere around 270ish to get it to complete.

So the problem is with the AGP/PCI locks? It seems like just a couple percent over the default will cause it to crash?

yeah, always lock the PCI Express or whatever at 100, it doesn't like it otherwise.

my ecs motherboard won't allow PCI/AGP locks

but users from other forums said they were able to achieve a 300/266 = 13% overclock of those buses without instability

I tried and a 3% AGP/PCI overclock crashes 3D-bencharmks
7% AGP/PCI overclock crashes 2D (no video at all)

I had no luck with that same mobo. I tried 266--> 300 and no go. Didn't bother with anything less since even 266 --> 300 is a pretty low OC. No locks sucks. I pretty much hate this board :) Good thing it was basically free, so I ended up using it for a spare office only machine.

Back