E3 Rumors on Next Generation Console Hardware @ [H]

Question, any word on what graphics protocol the next gen xbox/ps4 will support?

we are on dx11 and whatever equivalent openCL version there is now. Windows 8 will probably ship late 2012 and might might have directx 12 then so... will that end up in the newer consoles (excluding nintendo which has gone with a f*cking 4k series radeon)?

whatever the next consoles have, will probably set the standard for pc ports and games for another 5-10 years, so in terms of graphical leaps it would seem better if they chose dx12 or some equivalent, so the pc game devs would get more comfortable with that as well.

the new consoles is a real chance for an industry wide graphical leap in quality/performance (unless they go the nintendo route and choose ancient tech), if they only go with the stuff we have now, the pc game world will continue to be graphically retarded even further than it needs to be.

I's say a DX11 setup with a few custom tweaks and early DX12 ideas. Its not really down to the level of DirectX its how good the developers are and how much effort they put in.

Question, any word on what graphics protocol the next gen xbox/ps4 will support?

we are on dx11 and whatever equivalent openCL version there is now. Windows 8 will probably ship late 2012 and might might have directx 12 then so... will that end up in the newer consoles (excluding nintendo which has gone with a f*cking 4k series radeon)?

whatever the next consoles have, will probably set the standard for pc ports and games for another 5-10 years, so in terms of graphical leaps it would seem better if they chose dx12 or some equivalent, so the pc game devs would get more comfortable with that as well.

the new consoles is a real chance for an industry wide graphical leap in quality/performance (unless they go the nintendo route and choose ancient tech), if they only go with the stuff we have now, the pc game world will continue to be graphically retarded even further than it needs to be.

Nothing wrong with the next Wii using a RV770 (Aka 485/70) given the history if Nintendo, this actually makes sense.....

I's say a DX11 setup with a few custom tweaks and early DX12 ideas. Its not really down to the level of DirectX its how good the developers are and how much effort they put in.

I wish I knew more about the details, some people say you can get the majority of the nicer effects in dx11 using dx9, it's just harder to do and you take more performance hits...

maybe that is true, but is there nothing that simply cannot be done in those older graphics frameworks?

The best result would be to go with a graphics framework that has more headroom to grow in quality, whatever that is. Is going with dx11 level graphics enough headroom? If that is what they go with, that may be the standard bar for pc gaming for the next 6-8 YEARS, just as dx9 is still the standard for game devs to target due to the consoles graphics.

How did Nvidia got locked by Llano when Intel was close to 90% of market share in cpu market last quarter ?

What I meant was that the success of AMD's Fusion APU's have all of a sudden made low end discrete video cards obsolete. I would suspect that anything at the GTX530 level and below have probably be rendered obsolete.

My thoughts exactly. That was the only real shocker for me...granted it is just a rumor.

That rumor absolutely makes no sense because I just don't get why Microsoft would want to put out a all new platform that makes things more complex for developers than easier. Look at how they managed to do so well this generation partly because the X360's were much easier to develop for than the PS3. Look at just how many multiplatform games ended up being optimized and performing better on the X360 because of this. I'm also curious how they are going to manage backwards compatibility with X360 games as an emulator isn't going to be easy.

Hard OCP said:
Launch dates on the PS4 and next generation Xbox are still fluid and hardware changes could occur. A perfect example of this is Sony moving to NVIDIA technology less than a year before the PS3 launch.

:rolleyes:

From 2004:

The companies have been jointly developing a custom graphics processing unit (GPU) incorporating next-generation GeForce technology - the graphics hardware behind NVIDIA's PC products - for the past two years, which will be used alongside SCEI's own system solutions for next-generation platforms featuring the Cell processor.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/nvidia-partners-with-sony-on-playstation-3-graphics-hardware

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. Sony was planning on using an Nvidia GPU since the earliest stages of PS3 development. Since its launch, I've been reading on the web how the RSX was a last minute thing, and that's totally not true. I think it started as MS fud.

If a console gave me proper mouse and keyboard support I'd be out of PC gaming for good. I can dream, can't i?

I don't really see this as being anything surprising. Companies want the cheap route, and going for a no frills GPU from a company who are in need of big sales means you are going to get a much cheaper price. Not sure if it will do competition in other areas much good.

Good news for AMD. This could also cause the death of PhysX.

I have no idea why people go on and on about physx. It's not like AMD don't push their own propriety physics software (that absolutely noone uses) and it's not like they weren't offered physx (but apparently according to AMD at the time, that kind of thing should be done via CPU...:rolleyes:)

If a console gave me proper mouse and keyboard support I'd be out of PC gaming for good. I can dream, can't i?

There are a few console games that do allow that :p (well...one of the unreal tournements on PS3...and another 1 or 2 i've forgotten, PS1 Quake II allowed mouse use)

Just so you know, here is a link with the power draw of the current consoles:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-2.htm

As you can see, disregarding the Wii, the current consoles are actually between 177 and 200 watts, so i doubt that they would scale them back too much if they want them to last for at least 5 years, specially since M$ y Sony want theirs to be 3D viable at 1080p from the latest rumors.
Thanks for the link, I wonder what the first 360s did in power? Maybe I will check mine which hasn't been doing much for the last 3 years ;). It does look like 200w is almost the highest limit for a console that the public will accept broadly. Fitting that into what is possible with 200w for 2014 may give us an idea on performance. Lol on Wii power, peak of 18w, it is utterly great. Anyways less power, noise, heat is better if performance-image quality-features are there. Plus I messed up with the 360 processor (Xenon) and mistakenly called it a cell processor when it is a modified PowerPC procesor with cell similar components.

Some brain storming here. The AMD Fusion Llano A8-3800 has 400 shader, 2.4(2.7turbo)ghz quad core with a 65w power rating, performance is around a Radeon 6570. Trinity using a BullDozer cpu and enhance shaders should be more powerfull while taking less power or similar. Let say a 8 core bullDozer with 720 shaders or 4 core bullDozer with 960 shaders could hit around the 100w or less, that leaves plenty of power for everything else. Match it up with 2-4gb of DDR5 ram (special console APU) and one would have a rather nice gaming machine. Just conjecture on my part but something to compare it to. Then again the next high end Radeons are not suppose to be VLIW shaders so who knows what the next console will use?

Last edited:
its still too early in the design cycle to really say what hardware will be in the next gen console it could be that the hardware doesnt even exist yet.

I'm also curious how they are going to manage backwards compatibility with X360 games as an emulator isn't going to be easy.

Never got the importance of this. Always move forward I say.

I packed my Xbox away the day the 360 arrived as well as all the games. Didnt miss them.

After all when you get the next Xbox you'll still have a 360 to play the 360 games on......

its still too early in the design cycle to really say what hardware will be in the next gen console it could be that the hardware doesnt even exist yet.

I'd say its all been pretty much decided already bar the ink on the contracts.

Never got the importance of this. Always move forward I say.

I packed my Xbox away the day the 360 arrived as well as all the games. Didnt miss them.

After all when you get the next Xbox you'll still have a 360 to play the 360 games on......

I often do play older games, but I just want the simplicity of not having a bunch of different devices around as I don't need any more clutter. I've already got plugged into my TV a gaming PC, Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player, Toshiba XDE-600 upconverter, and my X360 with a HD-DVD drive.

I often do play older games, but I just want the simplicity of not having a bunch of different devices around as I don't need any more clutter. I've already got plugged into my TV a gaming PC, Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD player, Toshiba XDE-600 upconverter, and my X360 with a HD-DVD drive.

You have 2 HD-DVD drives :confused: Do you have 3 Beta max drives to go with them :p

3rd gen Xbox rumored to have an IBM "cell" processor.

Now that's a huge change... especially since it diverges from the "easy" to program for paradigm that Microsoft was touting for the 360.

umm not to point out the flaw in this rumor but the cell processor is not the sole property of ibm sony owns patents over portions of the architecture and it was partially developed by them in conjunction with IBM wait the 360 already uses this cept there is only 3 cores. The processor the xbox 360 uses is a 3 core PPE developed by ibm called xenon it is a slightly modified version of the cell PPE. Not that much of a change to jump to a full blown cell processor... though im curious as to what type of patent exchange is going on to allow microsoft to use that processor...

Last edited:
Just like the car industry... making me wait for something cool

Careful girl, your showing your age ;)

Before my time :p But it's an integral plot element of an episode of something. They go back to earth (which is destroyed) and need to find a tape player (it makes no sense, but they do) and instead of getting a VHS player they get a beta max :D That and the ancient equipment I learn studio stuff on used beta-max type tapes (for sound). Not thats made it sound worse :eek:

I also have 3 HD-DVD drives, cause once they break there is no fixing them so a few spares is a must

Do you have that many movies on HD-DVD? Can't you just lossless quality rip them and then store the disks (and the drives). That way you wont have to worry?

no problems but I am not willing to pay $130 for a new one if the current one breaks and I got them all for an awesome deal when MS discontinued them and people let the entire kit go for $35 shipped on amazon.......

Never had a problem with my current drive and I got it new when it was announced with the 5 movie deal....

I have about 50 HD-DVD movies and I got most of them for $3 or less.

It's too bad that HD-DVD died because it was the much better spec in the beginning for the consumer with things like Internet access for content, PIP, etc that BD-Rom did not add until MUCH later

Before my time :p But it's an integral plot element of an episode of something. They go back to earth (which is destroyed) and need to find a tape player (it makes no sense, but they do) and instead of getting a VHS player they get a beta max :D

Cowboy Bebop had a episode like that, except they got a VHS player and the tape was betamax.

Wow, dejavu, I've seen this before but it was a casette player they needed, totally different but pretty much the same premise.

no problems but I am not willing to pay $130 for a new one if the current one breaks and I got them all for an awesome deal when MS discontinued them and people let the entire kit go for $35 shipped on amazon.......

Never had a problem with my current drive and I got it new when it was announced with the 5 movie deal....

I have about 50 HD-DVD movies and I got most of them for $3 or less.

It's too bad that HD-DVD died because it was the much better spec in the beginning for the consumer with things like Internet access for content, PIP, etc that BD-Rom did not add until MUCH later

It never really had the market penatration of blu-ray, which was also the larger medium (another deciding factor in format wars) which got millions of sales from PS3s and most of the key consumer tv/video hardware manafacturers (panasonic/sony/pioneer/phillips/lg/sharp etc.) whereas HD-DVD was mainly "computer" brands (microsoft/intel) so blu ray was always going too get more support. Added to the fact that sony movies release a load of popular films.

One thing is, consumers in general don't seem to care about "extra" features like for example the "camera angles" thing on DVD. I remeber it being in 2 films total (the matrix and the extra features on some other movie showing how the layers worked). On that note I still haven't viewed any of the content on my BD live equiped disks...:( But the deck was kind of stacked against HD-DVD to start with. But I don't think blu-ray was the worse end result. (the anti scratch surface is great when a disk falls down the back of a radiator!)

Cowboy Bebop had a episode like that, except they got a VHS player and the tape was betamax.

It was that episode :D I wish there were more episodes of that show...:(

I wish that Nintendo would look into advancing the technical aspects of the hardware...rather than just making new stuff that gets old after a year

i knew blu ray was the clear winner from the beginning so i never invested in the hd dvd. So much capacity and scratch proof discs were the icing on the cake

Nintendo should really just hop on board PS4 or 760 now and just sell their gimmicks. I bet in the next 20 years we play Mario on a playstation. Oh what would the gaming world be like now if Nintendo had just gone with Sony's cd player?

Nintendo should really just hop on board PS4 or 760 now and just sell their gimmicks. I bet in the next 20 years we play Mario on a playstation. Oh what would the gaming world be like now if Nintendo had just gone with Sony's cd player?

HD Zelda? Dammit, Nintendo.

I just don't see it, they make a shit ton of money. I think they will always have their small niche tbh.

You're effectively leaving nVidia users out in the cold, and this is bad for competition.

Like what they did with PhysX you mean?

I wish that Nintendo would look into advancing the technical aspects of the hardware...rather than just making new stuff that gets old after a year

Your not alone there but if the Wii U is indeed using a gpu that is based on the Radeon 4XXX series then it's already well over a year, never mind a year after release.

nVidia is in more of the competition than you think, they are in half the android smartphones and almost all the android tablets, that have tv out and are compatible with 360/ps3 controllers..... Its not just about the big 3 anymore, even Samsung is in there producing all those chips for Apple. They are all competing for the living room now.

Dude I hope not. FML if we're still playing the same games 20 years from now.

Ah shit.....http://www.themariobros.net/evolution.html
So FML away! :)

and heres a link to the video, since its no longer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABwNrxE6Y90

I have no problem with playing new versions of classic games as long as they keep innovating. So heres hoping Virtual Reality Super Mario is as refreshing as Mario 64, and Mario Galaxy was.
I feel old now.. 32, and played almost all the marios across time..

Last edited:
nVidia is in more of the competition than you think, they are in half the android smartphones and almost all the android tablets, that have tv out and are compatible with 360/ps3 controllers..... Its not just about the big 3 anymore, even Samsung is in there producing all those chips for Apple. They are all competing for the living room now.

Nvidia might just windup being only in the tablet market......they have lost ground to ATi in the laptop market (thanks to their trying to hide the mobile chip problems) and got pushed completely out of the chipset market by Intel and ATi/AMD. AMD E series looks to push them out of the netbook market as well.....

Hopefully the companies are looking at the possibilty of a ssd instead of a regular laptop hard drive...

I wish Nintendo would embrace the team at Dolphin and sanction their games being run on a PC. Skyward Sword was absolutely gorgeous in Dolphin. I hope the Wii U has the chops to really make their games shine.

I wonder if Nintendo will modify their hardware to match the rumoured specs for the next XBox/PS systems (AMD APU). I mean, Nintendo's never been gung ho in terms of graphical prowess, but when the rumoured specs seem quite affordable, it would make sense for Nintendo to match it.

Back