E3 Opens to the Public For the First Time Ever

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
There is an announcement up on Gamespot today that E3 will for the first time be opening their doors to the public this year. (Warning, linked site contains a video which starts playing automatically.) A total of 15,000 tickets will be sold to the public at $250 a piece, or $150 as part of a February 13th early-bird special. The tickets allow access to the show floor as well as panel discussions and other events.

The show is scheduled for June 13th through 15th this year, in Los Angeles.

For years now, there have been calls to open E3 to the public. The ESA conducted an experiment of sorts for this in 2016 with its E3 Live event, which was free and open to the public. It was located outside of the Los Angeles Convention Center, the site of E3, and attendees could go hands-on with upcoming games and take part in other events. There was "incredible attendee enthusiasm" for this event, the ESA's senior VP of communications, Rich Taylor, tells GameSpot. So the next step was to invite fans to actually walk the halls of E3 and get closer to the action.[/I

Domingo

Fully [H]
Reminds me of the glory days when CES was open to the public in a similar way. It was neat being able to play video games and see all of the latest tech goodies a year in advance.

Zion Halcyon

2[H]4U
Technically this isn't true. E3 is opening its doors to the public for the SECOND time ever.

The first time was in the 1990's when they were in McCormick Place in Chicago. I know, because I was there, and it was awesome. They had a virtual Mario who called my dad "Phil Donahue" lol.

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Technically this isn't true. E3 is opening its doors to the public for the SECOND time ever.

The first time was in the 1990's when they were in McCormick Place in Chicago. I know, because I was there, and it was awesome. They had a virtual Mario who called my dad "Phil Donahue" lol.

Neat, I had not heard of this (and E3 themselves claims it the first time they've sold tickets, after a single live event last year). How did that work. Were tickets open to consumers like they are this year?

Armenius

Fully [H]
This is the right thing to do after the shameful E3 "experience" they setup in tents outside in the parking lot last year. Also good since hardly anyone I know trust game "journalists" anymore.

Domingo

Fully [H]

Wasn't that the CES and not E3? It was only open to the public in 1993 at that very same location (I also went).

Zion Halcyon

2[H]4U
Neat, I had not heard of this (and E3 themselves claims it the first time they've sold tickets, after a single live event last year). How did that work. Were tickets open to consumers like they are this year?

Tickets were open to the public and it was there for a couple days. Venue was in McCormick Place and the area across the street.

They had Genesis, SNES, TurboGrafx, First hints at N64, and a lot of booths had goodies for the public (T Shirts, keychains, etc). Was a blast.

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Are OP and most of the other Internet bloggers new to gaming?

E3 was public for many years before going press-only:

http://www.cheatcc.com/extra/e3publicvsprivate.html

My understanding (but it is not a firm one, as I've never paid much attention to the trade shows) was that even in the early days, E3 was only supposed to be open to industry insiders and press, but that back then they didn't police it very well, so it was not that difficult for members of the general public to get a hold of the credentials needed to get inside.

This would be the first time they have officially offered tickets for sale to the general public.

There was that Live event last year, as well as some 5,000 tickets given away by ESA to distributors to give to their fans in 2015.

They at least claim to not have sold admission to the general public before.

Seventyfive

[H]ard|Gawd
I go every year because i get a pass through work. TLDR: If you like consoles this is heaven. If you're a PC Gamer it's kind of crap. If you don't know how to work Youtube it's amazing because you just wait in line for a few hours and then you get to see trailers of upcoming games. If you know how to work youtube, you can go home and watch the trailers a day later without any wait.

edit: For the record, E3 was amazing back in like 2000. Booth babes, tons of giveaways, tons of PC gaming stuff, tons of playable demos. It has basically been downhill over the last 10 years and I'm talking a serious slope.

tetris42

Supreme [H]ardness
I go every year because i get a pass through work. TLDR: If you like consoles this is heaven. If you're a PC Gamer it's kind of crap. If you don't know how to work Youtube it's amazing because you just wait in line for a few hours and then you get to see trailers of upcoming games. If you know how to work youtube, you can go home and watch the trailers a day later without any wait.

edit: For the record, E3 was amazing back in like 2000. Booth babes, tons of giveaways, tons of PC gaming stuff, tons of playable demos. It has basically been downhill over the last 10 years and I'm talking a serious slope.
Best and most succinct description I've seen of E3.

viscountalpha

2[H]4U

Pax has been draining E3 of its life and I couldn't be happier for it.

CrimsonKnight13

Lord Stabington of [H]ard|Fortress
15K is still nothing like how many people go through the Tokyo Game Show for 3 days (over 250K I think)

Spire3660

[H]ard|Gawd
Dont go. Just dont. Its packed, its smelly and you will wait in lines for hours for stuff you will see soon enough in the market. Ill tell you the same exact thing for San Diego Comic Con. These thigns have become way too big and are just tourist mills now.

lilbabycat

2[H]4U
I can't wait to see the totally legit gamers talk about how excited they are for x game with perfect buzzword sales pitch lines, and of course their friends around them all fit each demographic perfectly like the Captain Planet team.

katanaD

[H]ard|Gawd
me and my brother went many years ago, we live here in LA. it was a lot of fun. lots of beer in the venues across the street.. booth babes.. demos you could actually play. but that was back in 2001

honestly nowadays, i dont see the draw as it got all stuffy, no party atmosphere, and really.. anything you are going to see at E3, you will already know about or see streamed live from E3