E3 May Pull The Plug On Los Angeles

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you've ever been to E3, you know the title of this article should read "E3 needs to pull the plug on Los Angeles."

The video game industry has held its annual trade show in its backyard of Los Angeles for 17 of the past 19 years. But the president of the Entertainment Software Association, which organizes the annual event, says E3 may pull up stakes. "E3 is a world class show that deserves a world class venue," said Michael Gallagher at a media dinner Sunday night. "The Los Angeles Convention Center is no longer a top-tier property."

My guess is that if they abandon the LA Convention Center, they'll still stay in California.

Vegas or Orlando - Both have plenty of hotels close to the facility and are much cheaper then LA

Minneapolis, mainly for my own selfish reasons. :) Though the convention center could easily fit E3.

They will move to San Diego or Anaheim. This is PROBABLY a ploy to get LA to upgrade their shit, cause that is how things happen down here.

I hope they move it. Downtown LA is crap: bad potholes, horrible traffic, ripoff parking, bums... LA's infrastructure is like 3rd world.

Just bring it to austin. Why not? The rest of the country is already here. Pile it on!

A "World class venue"? That's basically politi-speak for "The world's dedicated gamers are largely in other countries and we want to tap those better sources of revenue" which is honestly true. There are more dedicated gamers outside the country as other countries aren't the workaholics that americans are.

Just bring it to austin. Why not? The rest of the country is already here. Pile it on!

X-games one weekend, motorcycle rally the next, then follow that with more furries than you can shake a fuzzy finger at!!!! :D

But all joking aside, with all the Kalifornians moving to Austin, why not bring E3?

Another vote for San Diego especially for the great year round weather. Los Angeles is ghetto and northern California is always gloomy and cold.

A "World class venue"? That's basically politi-speak for "The world's dedicated gamers are largely in other countries and we want to tap those better sources of revenue" which is honestly true. There are more dedicated gamers outside the country as other countries aren't the workaholics that americans are.

Being physically at work doesn't mean they're actually doing work. :D

In all honesty, the place that makes the most sense is Dallas in Jerry's World. Every flight carrier flies into and out of DFW/Lovefield a ton, and who wouldn't want to watch demos of their favorite games on that jumbotron?

Orange County is not as bad as LA but still kind of ghetto. Texas is ideal for retirement but I wouldn't want to go there for a convention/party.

Orange County is not as bad as LA but still kind of ghetto. Texas is ideal for retirement but I wouldn't want to go there for a convention/party.
That area around International Drive is actually pretty nice, in my opinion. I wouldn't wander too far off in any direction, though ;).

They will move to San Diego or Anaheim. This is PROBABLY a ploy to get LA to upgrade their shit, cause that is how things happen down here.

Bingo - this is 100% what's going on. Maybe Vegas is in the mix too. IF they move - it'll only be a couple of hours away max. But it's just about updating the LA convention center.

You dont get it guys, he said "World class", and here you are suggesting other Murikan cities, when he probably means somewhere else than the US. :D

Bingo - this is 100% what's going on. Maybe Vegas is in the mix too. IF they move - it'll only be a couple of hours away max. But it's just about updating the LA convention center.

Pretty much. How do you think Staples Center got built? Teams threatened to move. So they built it. Same in San Francisco with the Giants park. Team threatens to leave, they build a new stadium, team stays. SF just lost the 49'ers to Santa Clara because of Candlestick Park.

Detroit could work, they could probably rent the entire city out for a week for what a weekend costs in LA.

I could see Dallas as a possibility since its centrally located. But its tough to beat weather in California as well as everyone wants to go to California for a week. Like someone else said earlier they're just trying to scare LA into spending money on fixing the area up. More fuel for the area around staples center to get renivated and put a football stadium there.

If they keep it in Los Angeles they should at least relocate to the coastal west side like Playa del Rey or Santa Monica which has the benefit of being right next door to LAX so you don't have to suffer driving through downtown.

Yup, they've been intending to upgrade that area for years but has not materialized. It'll probably be many more years until we see something get upgraded downtown.

There are better venues in Southern California that are better at hosting something like E3. Anaheim and other places in Orange County, San Diego show more promise than Los Angeles.

I think they should rotate the event around the country like other large events. Make it a bidding war between venues and cities. E3 is no way worth traveling to CA for, but if it was a 4 hour drive I might make the trip. And if I did make the trip I might become a bigger fan of the venue and venture as far as 6 hours away as well as pay more attention online when it isn't close.

Back