E3 Is Loud, Expensive, Sexist And Violent

HardOCP News

[H] News
E3 is loud, expensive, sexist and violent....you know, all the things we love in video games. :D

The show may loudly reward many of the wrong things but, if you’re willing to take the entire experience in your teeth and shake it until the good parts fall out, there are amazing experiences to be had and stories to be told. Don’t listen to the endless articles about why E3 is on the way out; for one week the entire gaming world will be centralized in one location. It's hard to justify being any place else.

Honestly, I'm amazed E3 still exists. Once a big player bows out (besides Nintendo), I think the rest will. I mean it costs so much money for what? They could buy booth's at every pax and come out ahead in many ways then just cost.

Honestly, I'm amazed E3 still exists. Once a big player bows out (besides Nintendo), I think the rest will. I mean it costs so much money for what? They could buy booth's at every pax and come out ahead in many ways then just cost.

They do buy booths at PAX and PAX east and sometimes Comic-con to connect directly to the gamers. But E3 is ostensibly limited to people who are in the business of writing about or otherwise communicating about the games on display. To bow out of E3 would be seen by some as a snub to gaming journalism and if you're out to sell a game that cost you tens of millions to create you want the game journalists on your side. I think it'll continue to change (and likely continue to get more and more boring) but I doubt E3 will ever fully evaporate.

They do buy booths at PAX and PAX east and sometimes Comic-con to connect directly to the gamers. But E3 is ostensibly limited to people who are in the business of writing about or otherwise communicating about the games on display. To bow out of E3 would be seen by some as a snub to gaming journalism and if you're out to sell a game that cost you tens of millions to create you want the game journalists on your side. I think it'll continue to change (and likely continue to get more and more boring) but I doubt E3 will ever fully evaporate.

Gaming journalism depends on gaming companies very heavily for competitive advantages. Not showing up at E3 wouldn't have much of an impact, really. Journalists have to be very, very nice to the publishers in order to even get access to games and have the ability to break stories upon which their future employment depends.

Anyhow, it's E3. In order to take advantage of men, it has to appeal to them so it's loud, obnoxious, and sexist. We need to use their weaknesses against them to get them to spend money, after all.

Loud, obnoxious, and sexist. All the things women love to be without issue, but when it's time for men to have fun it's, all of a sudden, totally wrong.

Games Journalists are pretty much at every PAX and Developer conference these days already.

With E3 you get only a hand full of perspectives about demos, but at pax, you here about private demo's from the press then lots of public feedback about people playing demos in the booth.

Maybe I'm bitter, but the E3 is seemingly becoming CES in the way of a dick swinging competition where no one really wins at the end.

Rampant sexism actually isn't one of the things I love about video games. Opinions may vary.

All of these events suck because they inevitably allow way too many people in.

And? I'm a pretty open individual and I understand that women are exploited for PR but its video games...

Its not military hardware that will end up killing someone its purely an entertainment medium that is intended for fun. E3 is all about sex , violence and money. If the modeling industry wants to protest E3 by all means go for it. But they won't because its really easy money , you sit around , look pretty , talk about the product and early a few thousand dollars. Yep you'll have to deal with sexist jerks and dumb asses but you are a model you'll have to deal with that in nearly ANY job you choose.

The only part of E3 that could do with some change is how loud it is. Its seriously equals and sometimes exceeds the volume of a concerts I've been to.

We tried a "PC" E3 and almost everyone (including some gaming journalists) preferred it the loud obnoxious way.

Ben Kuchera is a piece of shit. Please do not give this person any part of your opinions or attention.

All of these events suck because they inevitably allow way too many people in.

This. There is no sense of exclusivity anymore. Many of these trade shows are going the route of SxSW where it's just a gigantic block party with shiny new tech products.

Couldn't snore any louder at this point.

Loud, obnoxious, and sexist. All the things women love to be without issue, but when it's time for men to have fun it's, all of a sudden, totally wrong.

Women are a fickle bunch aren't they? They date assholes who are loud, obnoxious, sexist, and treat them like shit over and over and over again, all the while the nice guys who would treat them like queens get the short end of the stick. Those guys should end up becoming the loud, obnoxious, and sexist guys who play games that you would think that the women would be attracted to, but instead complain about.

Women are a fickle bunch aren't they? They date assholes who are loud, obnoxious, sexist, and treat them like shit over and over and over again, all the while the nice guys who would treat them like queens get the short end of the stick. Those guys should end up becoming the loud, obnoxious, and sexist guys who play games that you would think that the women would be attracted to, but instead complain about.

Man, I wish what you just said wasn't true, and I used to think otherwise, but...experience has shown it to be a pretty accurate assessment. I don't know if it's self-loathing or some other kind of condition (on their part) but I see that shit on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong...now and then you get a normal girl who "tames" a gamer guy, or an aggressive girl who is into gaming as well, but there's very little middle ground. I think it has a lot to do with the superficiality (and over-exposure) of our culture combined with the remnants of tradition that have the guy as the dominant (and usually unenlightened) asshole.

That's absolutely not true at all. The trouble is that all men see themselves as "nice guys" when the vast majority of them are obnoxious twerps. The ones that make an attempt to treat you nicely are just putting up a wall of fake so they can get whatever hormone-driven satisfaction they're seeking out as quickly as possible. When they get turned away, they see themselves as victims, demonize the competition against which they seemingly lost (the other guy who is clearly worse) and as the always crapped on nice person without ever giving it a realistic outside looking in perspective.

Women do it too, by the way so don't think I'm bashing men exclusively (at least not this time). Just watch any mother make an assessment of any other mother's methods of parenting. In an instant, she'll find something wrong with the other mother just from distant observation and declare herself the winner in parenting skills, never realizing the victory was a necessity of self-approval and making the comparison was pointless to begin with.

I just wish people would stop victimizing themselves when they get brushed aside without stepping back and going, "Okay self, let's be a tiny bit more realistic and do some me-analysis to see what could have gone wrong."

What's creepy about taking pictures of booth babes. Isn't that what they're there for?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/13-reasons-why-nice-guys-are-the-worst

"Nice guys" are a bunch of goatee'd fedora-wearing fuck-ups who go through life treating women as some sort of sexual/relationship vending machine: "Insert favor and niceties -> get relationship or sex" It's disingenuous and cowardly to approach people this way without making your intentions clear. These guys (and realistically nerd girls can be this way too) just confuse the shit out of their target. Are you trying to be friends or???

It's a shame that they get their feelings hurt and end up like you condemning some generalized group of women as fickle, but the problem is one of socialization on their side. They're not socialized properly and don't know how to deal with the opposite gender or treat them like human beings. No one owes you anything for being nice, especially if being nice is a weirdo roundabout way to trying to get to sex or a relationship. That's just creepy and bad.

Back