E3 1245 v1 question

Is there any reason if i can get one for 40$ less than a comparable i5 not to get it. Is there any reason one wouldnt do just as well in a budget gaming system? New to intel and not sure what differences there are between the models.

The E3-1245v1 is more similar to the i7 than the i5 since it's got hyperthreading and 8MB of cache. It's a good pickup if it's compatible with your system and at stock will definitely beat the i5. I'm not sure whether you can OC the older Xeon E3 chips, but I'm equally unsure whether OCing is even on your radar.

Overclocking is not necessary on this machone at all. Its a budget rig for my wife or friends when they come over. I did research and its withing a few percen of a 4590 but 40$ cheaper and when i look online benchmarks say its good but for some reason alot of peoole are like avoid xeon for gaming

Nah you should be fine. Keep in mind this is 2nd generation tech, it's fairly close in specs to the i7 2700.

Built several xeon based gaming systems from decom'd workstations. These are great cpu's for the price on the used market. 4c/8t 3.4ish GHz (i7 equivalent) is fine for a medium duty gaming rig. Just make sure you are base clocked in the mid 3 GHz range and you'll be fine. You will be a sad clown when gaming if you get one clocked in the low 2 GHz range.

Pair that with a GTX 1060 6G card and you have a great, inexpensive gaming system for the Mrs or company.

Thanks for the info. Never tried for a budget rig before and finding it fun to chase the performance per dollar

Back